2016-2017 Pennsylvania State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee? (Maximum 75 words)
2. Explain why you decided to apply to Penn State College of Medicine. (Maximum 75 words)
3. Please write a short paragraph describing a significant experience you have had working in a team setting. (Maximum 250 words)
4. Briefly describe an experience where you had to navigate a complex system (e.g. personal experience, group activity, or development of a project) to achieve an end. Reflect on the qualities and attributes required by you to achieve success in this experience. (Maximum 250 words)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello, I haven't received secondaries yet, but here are the previous essay prompts I found:

Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee? (Maximum 75 words)

Explain why you decided to apply to Penn State College of Medicine. (Maximum 75 words)

Please write a short paragraph describing a significant experience you have had working in a team setting. (Maximum 250 words)

Briefly describe an experience where you had to navigate a complex system (e.g. personal experience, group activity, or development of a project) to achieve an end. Reflect on the qualities and attributes required by you to achieve success in this experience. (Maximum 250 words)

Source: http://www.prospectivedoctor.com/pennsylvania-state-university-college-of-medicine-secondary/

Members don't see this ad :)
For LOR, may I use my graduate school LOR or does it have to be from my undergrad? I tried to call them but they didn't answer?

Yo, where is this secondary?!

I'm enjoying the fact that I'm not procrastinating this one since I haven't received it yet.

I've submitted 25 secondaries already, have one that's gonna be done by tomorrow.... and then Penn State. Just waiting on Penn State. I wanna be done with this already.

Reactions: 1 user
I've submitted 25 secondaries already, have one that's gonna be done by tomorrow.... and then Penn State. Just waiting on Penn State. I wanna be done with this already.
Off-topic but congrats on the 25 secondaries done already, damn! That inspired me to get my ass into higher gear tonight and stop procrastinating on a few that I've been sitting on.

On-topic: Penn where u at

Reactions: 1 users
Off-topic but congrats on the 25 secondaries done already, damn! That inspired me to get my ass into higher gear tonight and stop procrastinating on a few that I've been sitting on.

On-topic: Penn where u at

Thanks. I've been prewriting them ever since I submitted my primary app.

I hope the prompts are the same as last years, I have already written them and am ready to flip this one quick.

Members don't see this ad :)
They're probably procrastinating, you guys should understand pretty well lol

Oh wow I figured I didn't get a secondary from them yet because I just added them last week, I didn't think they just haven't even sent them out yet!

I can't believe that they have not even started sending out secondaries, not sure if they always do it late in the season .

I think this is normal for them. I just looked at last year's thread and the first secondary received was July 22nd. They were mentioning how the year before that the first secondary was also in mid July. So it'll be any day now, probably.

How likely is it that their prompt will change this year? Their essays seem easy so I just want to crank them out now honestly if possible

I got the secondary today and the prompts are the same! Good luck everyone

I got the secondary today and the prompts are the same! Good luck everyone

When was your AMCAS verified? I was complete on day one, but still no secondary...

verified day one still no secondary... i just wanna be a nittany lion like damn..

Reactions: 3 users
When was your AMCAS verified? I was complete on day one, but still no secondary...
I was verified day 1. My friends havent recieved it yet either, but they are starting to roll out so just stay posted.

Sorry for contributing, great community here..
Haha sorry. We just have to be wary here. I hope you understand. It seems that you were not lying because obviously someone else got one too

It is just weird that both of the people got the secondary only have 1 message to date

Haha sorry. We just have to be wary here. I hope you understand. It seems that you were not lying because obviously someone else got one too

It is just weird that both of the people got the secondary only have 1 message to date

Sorry for being passive reader, busy writing secondaries...

To anyone who received the secondary:

Have they processed your letters yet? My LORs aren't showing up as received

To anyone who received the secondary:

Have they processed your letters yet? My LORs aren't showing up as received

No not yet. Email says we won't be marked complete for a few weeks? Not sure how accurate that is. Most of my schools are complete.

No not yet. Email says we won't be marked complete for a few weeks? Not sure how accurate that is. Most of my schools are complete.

Glad to hear its not just me! I'm complete at a bunch of other schools as well

I have a good friend that goes to PSU and really enjoys it so I would love to get an II here

I legit think this is the same person. I don't understand why they're doing this, but it doesn't matter anyway. We'll all get the secondary soon enough.

Greetings Emily XXXXX,

Thank you for your interest in The Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine. We have received your application from The American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS), and are happy to welcome you into the applicant pool for the Entering Class of 2017!

Your next step in the application process is to submit your electronic Secondary Application. You can access the application at https://admissions.med.psu.edu by clicking on this web address as a link, or copying and pasting this web address onto the address line of your web browser.

Haha if you don't believe someone, I would just call the admissions office and ask them! The secondaries are probably just coming out slowly. Alot of people probably submitted the first day/week or something. I don't know but I may just call monday and see what's up

I don't really care whether or not this person is telling the truth. Like I said, I'm fine with waiting for the secondary. I just think it's funny how transparent these two sock puppet accounts are and I wanted to point it out. I see you, Emily XXXXX. :laugh:

I don't really care whether or not this person is telling the truth. Like I said, I'm fine with waiting for the secondary. I just think it's funny how transparent these two sock puppet accounts are and I wanted to point it out. I see you, Emily XXXXX. :laugh:

Lol same. I'm kinda happy that Penn State hasn't sent one yet, I'm sending out so many right now that not having to worry about this one school is quite nice

I legit think this is the same person. I don't understand why they're doing this, but it doesn't matter anyway. We'll all get the secondary soon enough.
seriously man? there is literally no reason I can think of for anyone to do that. I got the secondary and so did the other person, chill out.

Reactions: 1 users
seriously man? there is literally no reason I can think of for anyone to do that. I got the secondary and so did the other person, chill out.

I just think you're funny. ;)

Every thread in this part of the forum breeds its own type of madness

Reactions: 3 users
I don't have the supplemental yet, but any thoughts on the complex system question guys? It's kind of vague and atypical , I am not being able to think of anything much for this one.

I don't have the supplemental yet, but any thoughts on the complex system question guys? It's kind of vague and atypical , I am not being able to think of anything much for this one.
I basically went with how I handled an ethical challenge to pull out some of the qualities you don't really get to talk about in a teamwork prompt.

To the ones that received their secondaries: can you post prompts please?

To the ones that received their secondaries: can you post prompts please?
Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee? (Maximum 75 words)
Explain why you decided to apply to Penn State College of Medicine. (Maximum 75 words)
Please write a short paragraph describing a significant experience you have had working in a team setting. (Maximum 250 words)
Briefly describe an experience where you had to navigate a complex system (e.g. personal experience, group activity, or development of a project) to achieve an end. Reflect on the qualities and attributes required by you to achieve success in this experience. (Maximum 250 words)

75 words? Really?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Is the first question optional? If not, what are you guys writing for that one? (diversity, etc)

Penn State doesn't screen right? This is my dream school..WE ARE (lol..had to)

I'm going about it like a challenge prompt, if that's of any help.;)