2016-2017 Rush Medical College Application Thread

Started by WedgeDawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Im not sure if this has been asked but Im only spending one night in chicago for my interview and I have to check out of the hotel early next morning. Am I allowed to bring my backpack and suitcase with me to the interview? If not, what are some options for me to store the luggage while I'm interviewing?

Also, would coffee be provided during breakfast?
Not sure about the bringing your luggage to your interview but I do know hotels will store your luggage in a locked room behind or near the front desk for you after you check out!
 
Im not sure if this has been asked but Im only spending one night in chicago for my interview and I have to check out of the hotel early next morning. Am I allowed to bring my backpack and suitcase with me to the interview? If not, what are some options for me to store the luggage while I'm interviewing?

Also, would coffee be provided during breakfast?
bring your luggage to the interview, they have a "homeroom" where you can store your luggage for the day. they have coffee, water, and snacks there for the whole day. in addition you'll get a light breakfast (pastries, fruit, yogurt) and a lunch
 
I'm curious if the 10 min interview will be like a MMI but just one of them?
Im not sure if this has been asked but Im only spending one night in chicago for my interview and I have to check out of the hotel early next morning. Am I allowed to bring my backpack and suitcase with me to the interview? If not, what are some options for me to store the luggage while I'm interviewing?

Also, would coffee be provided during breakfast?

The 10 min interview is not MMI, it is just a really quick session where you talk to someone about yourself. It has no scenarios or ethical questions. It is purely an interview about who you are as a person.

When you go to interview day, you have a room that is your home base for the day. You can just leave your luggage in there. People always have luggage on interview day. Also, they do serve coffee and light snacks at breakfast
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rush just sent me an email asking me to complete my secondary application, saying I would be a good candidate. I didn't submit my secondary because I barely meet their volunteering cutoff requirements so I didn't think it was worthwhile. Should I complete and submit it now?
 
Pretty sure 3 is a very hard cut-off for Rush.

My committee sent a packet of five letters + a cover letter, and Rush didn't seem to mind it at all. Though if you are sending individual letters it might be best to stick with three.
 
Also, I would greatly recommend taking advantage of Rush's student host program instead of having to stay at a Chicago hotel. It saves you quite a chunk of change and gives you another great window into the life of a student at Rush. Unless it's impossible for you to sleep on a couch for a night, I'd really consider staying with a current student the night before your interview!
 
Rush just sent me an email asking me to complete my secondary application, saying I would be a good candidate. I didn't submit my secondary because I barely meet their volunteering cutoff requirements so I didn't think it was worthwhile. Should I complete and submit it now?

I got this e-mail too and also was worried because I researched way more than volunteered. I am definitely going to submit. I actually already paid my fee awhile back.
 
Rush just sent me an email asking me to complete my secondary application, saying I would be a good candidate. I didn't submit my secondary because I barely meet their volunteering cutoff requirements so I didn't think it was worthwhile. Should I complete and submit it now?
I also got this email but wasn't sure if it was because they thought I was a good candidate or if they sent it to everyone who did not submit the secondary??
 
Did they mention anything about the new curriculum to be implemented in 2017-18? I am having trouble understanding just how much of a change there will be based on what they have on their website!

They used to have a double-pass system of curriculum, M1's would study how the normal body functioned and M2's would study the abnormal body. In 2017-2018 they are going to be doing a single-pass curriculum, where the normal and abnormal are done together (still in the same organ-block schedule as before). They will also be implementing a "flipped classroom" approach to learning, instead of sitting through lectures and powerpoints, time will be focused on applying knowledge through small groups and lecture materials can be learned outside the classroom. Apparently it has been well supported by students as they've been testing out the concept.

The admissions staff has a small presentation about the curricular changes, and will be sure to clear up anything and answer any questions you have. They haven't updated the website because they are still finalizing a lot of the changes and settling on their formats.

On another note: I'd like to echo NDhopeful's sentiments, both the current students and all interviewees were very happy and impressive, I had an amazing time and thoroughly enjoyed my day there.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They used to have a double-pass system of curriculum, M1's would study how the normal body functioned and M2's would study the abnormal body. In 2017-2018 they are going to be doing a single-pass curriculum, where the normal and abnormal are done together (still in the same organ-block schedule as before). They will also be implementing a "flipped classroom" approach to learning, instead of sitting through lectures and powerpoints, time will be focused on applying knowledge through small groups and lecture materials can be learned outside the classroom. Apparently it has been well supported by students as they've been testing out the concept.

The admissions staff has a small presentation about the curricular changes, and will be sure to clear up anything and answer any questions you have. They haven't updated the website because they are still finalizing a lot of the changes and settling on their formats.

On another note: I'd like to echo NDhopeful's sentiments, both the current students and all interviewees were very happy and impressive, I had an amazing time and thoroughly enjoyed my day there.
For sure. I'm hoping for good news come October 17th! Fingers crossed for everyone who's interviewed already!
 
From recent experience, for those who interviewed in early/mid September, should we expect to hear back on the first day schools can send acceptances (October 17th)? Or will Rush just sort of keep you in limbo for as long as they want post-interview?
 
From recent experience, for those who interviewed in early/mid September, should we expect to hear back on the first day schools can send acceptances (October 17th)? Or will Rush just sort of keep you in limbo for as long as they want post-interview?

When I went, Jill (admissions director) told us that we would hear back on the morning of October 17th when they send out an e-mail. Either accepted, waitlisted, or rejected. We were also able to convince them to send out hard-copy letters on that day as well, but those would take awhile to arrive. The admissions office is very quick to make decisions post-interview, with a 2-3 week turnaround time. So if you interview 2-3 weeks before October 17th, you will hear back on the first day possible.
 
When I went, Jill (admissions director) told us that we would hear back on the morning of October 17th when they send out an e-mail. Either accepted, waitlisted, or rejected. We were also able to convince them to send out hard-copy letters on that day as well, but those would take awhile to arrive. The admissions office is very quick to make decisions post-interview, with a 2-3 week turnaround time. So if you interview 2-3 weeks before October 17th, you will hear back on the first day possible.
Thanks! Wow, what I'd do to get accepted here...interview day was amazing!
 
@cookies1212 and anyone else who might have some input: Do you know what the decision process is like post-interview? I am absolutely in love with this school and it is my number 1 choice, however I felt a little cheated on the 40-min interview when it was spent being asked about the ACA and healthcare policies around the world. I did enjoy our conversation and it could always be a good thing that they felt like challenging me, but I really wanted a chance to get to show Rush who I am/make a compelling argument about why I would be a great fit and talk about my file like the other interviewees did. Instead, they only spent ~5 minutes asking me things about myself. I guess what I'm asking is how much weight does the longer interview carry in comparison with the shorter interview and the rest of your application?
 
@cookies1212 and anyone else who might have some input: Do you know what the decision process is like post-interview? I am absolutely in love with this school and it is my number 1 choice, however I felt a little cheated on the 40-min interview when it was spent being asked about the ACA and healthcare policies around the world. I did enjoy our conversation and it could always be a good thing that they felt like challenging me, but I really wanted a chance to get to show Rush who I am/make a compelling argument about why I would be a great fit and talk about my file like the other interviewees did. Instead, they only spent ~5 minutes asking me things about myself. I guess what I'm asking is how much weight does the longer interview carry in comparison with the shorter interview and the rest of your application?
interviews are important. remember folks, interviewers aren't necessarily out to get you. they are your friend. their job is to tell the admin committee why Rush should accept you, and maybe some things that they concerned about. interviewers will challenge you, because med school isn't a cake walk and they want to see how you respond to challenges. that being said, you are not at a disadvantage if you were only given 5 mins for why you fit with Rush. you were given plenty of chances to convey that, thru your secondary, thru your other interview, 5 mins of this one (think about it, 5/40mins = 12.5 % of your interview time), and possibly even a little thru your amcas essay. Don't look took much into dissecting every minute of your interview day, I'm sure you did fine. If you still think that you have some reasons to give to Rush why you're the best fit, then I recommend writing a short (maybe one paragraph, <200 words) statement. But only do this if you feel very compelled to, it's not going to make or break your decision by any means
 
interviews are important. remember folks, interviewers aren't necessarily out to get you. they are your friend. their job is to tell the admin committee why Rush should accept you, and maybe some things that they concerned about. interviewers will challenge you, because med school isn't a cake walk and they want to see how you respond to challenges. that being said, you are not at a disadvantage if you were only given 5 mins for why you fit with Rush. you were given plenty of chances to convey that, thru your secondary, thru your other interview, 5 mins of this one (think about it, 5/40mins = 12.5 % of your interview time), and possibly even a little thru your amcas essay. Don't look took much into dissecting every minute of your interview day, I'm sure you did fine. If you still think that you have some reasons to give to Rush why you're the best fit, then I recommend writing a short (maybe one paragraph, <200 words) statement. But only do this if you feel very compelled to, it's not going to make or break your decision by any means
Thanks for this haha I know I'm being neurotic it's just hard not to think about what I could have done differently, especially when I really love the school!
 
I only have 400-500 hrs of clinical volunteering (will increase to 500-600 soon) and 800-900 hours of non-clinical volunteering. Based on the average hours of the incoming class it seems that isn't enough, but I'd love to get my medical education at Rush so I hope they invite me over to tell my story 🙂 Complete in mid-August, no word yet.

Good luck to everyone who got a II already you are obviously stars ready to shine bright at Rush 😉
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just received an "Application Status Update" email from Rush basically saying that the committee is still reviewing applications/deciding who to invite to interview/etc. Did they send this to everyone or does it mean I'm on hold or something?
 
I just received an "Application Status Update" email from Rush basically saying that the committee is still reviewing applications/deciding who to invite to interview/etc. Did they send this to everyone or does it mean I'm on hold or something?

Same, I was complete 8/15. Not sure what the email means.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can you post what the e-mail says?

I hope this email finds you well. I am writing to update you on the status of your application. The Committee on Admissions continues to work diligently to review applications to determine which applicants will receive an interview invitation. Because we have received roughly 8000 AMCAS applications, and each application is personally read by a member of the Admissions Committee, this process may take some time. While we understand that this may be a stressful period, we greatly appreciate your patience.

Should you be selected for an on-campus interview, you will be notified via email. We will continue to extend interview invitations through the month of February. In the meantime, should you have any questions, feel free to email us at [email protected].
 
I hope this email finds you well. I am writing to update you on the status of your application. The Committee on Admissions continues to work diligently to review applications to determine which applicants will receive an interview invitation. Because we have received roughly 8000 AMCAS applications, and each application is personally read by a member of the Admissions Committee, this process may take some time. While we understand that this may be a stressful period, we greatly appreciate your patience.

Should you be selected for an on-campus interview, you will be notified via email. We will continue to extend interview invitations through the month of February. In the meantime, should you have any questions, feel free to email us at [email protected].
Doesn't sound like a hold. Wonder if I should be worried about not getting it.