You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2016-2017 Rush Medical College Application Thread
Started by WedgeDawg
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Waitlisted
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Waitlisted
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same, just now. Bummed about it. Really liked this school and thought I killed the interviews.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Same, just now. Bummed about it. Really liked this school and thought I killed the interviews.
I honestly don't know what these schools want...why make me waste all that money flying and staying in a hotel if you have no intention of accepting me...I though I did well on the interviews as well...
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like how they were telling us during the interview that we should be glad about getting invited...
Like ***** please...it doesn't mean anything if we don't accepted...if anything, I lost money, time, and my sanity during this process...telling me that I want to look at my face before waitlisting me or rejecting me isn't going to make me feel better
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like ***** please...it doesn't mean anything if we don't accepted...if anything, I lost money, time, and my sanity during this process...telling me that I want to look at my face before waitlisting me or rejecting me isn't going to make me feel better
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
**** all medical schools and this one specifically...rant over*
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I understand you're bummed. Not here, but I got waitlisted somewhere last year. I just got a waitlist this year as well. I know how it feels.
Just because you were waitlisted, though, does not mean they had no intention of accepting you. And it doesn't mean they won't accept you eventually. People came off of Rush's waitlist last year.
People could be great interviewers, but maybe not the perfect fit that particular school is looking for at that time, or even at that time in the cycle... or not too off either, hence the waitlist. And that's why they say "interviews 3, a doctor you will be." Because it's not as if you didn't get an acceptance at one or two schools that you wouldn't make a good doctor...
It's a pain, but sit tight. It's not over.
Just because you were waitlisted, though, does not mean they had no intention of accepting you. And it doesn't mean they won't accept you eventually. People came off of Rush's waitlist last year.
People could be great interviewers, but maybe not the perfect fit that particular school is looking for at that time, or even at that time in the cycle... or not too off either, hence the waitlist. And that's why they say "interviews 3, a doctor you will be." Because it's not as if you didn't get an acceptance at one or two schools that you wouldn't make a good doctor...
It's a pain, but sit tight. It's not over.
I understand you're bummed. Not here, but I got waitlisted somewhere last year. I just got a waitlist this year as well. I know how it feels.
Just because you were waitlisted, though, does not mean they had no intention of accepting you. And it doesn't mean they won't accept you eventually. People came off of Rush's waitlist last year.
People could be great interviewers, but maybe not the perfect fit that particular school is looking for at that time, or even at that time in the cycle... or not too off either, hence the waitlist. And that's why they say "interviews 3, a doctor you will be." Because it's not as if you didn't get an acceptance at one or two schools that you wouldn't make a good doctor...
It's a pain, but sit tight. It's not over.
I got three interviews and three waitlisted last year as well...turned into three rejections...the whole "fit" thing is *******...I am charismatic and thrilled by the school when I interview...i have several DO acceptances and I have had 6 md interviews so far this year...3 of which have been waitlisted...
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got three interviews and three waitlisted last year as well...turned into three rejections...the whole "fit" thing is *******...I am charismatic and thrilled by the school when I interview...i have several DO acceptances and I have had 6 md interviews so far this year...3 of which have been waitlisted...
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know this process is really hard, but did you try asking schools last year for feedback? Sometimes that does help. There could be something that you may be doing incorrectly and you do not realize it. Obviously, you are a great applicant with 6 IIs, so it's just a matter of taking it home! I am sure you will hear back positive things in your next three IIs. Just keep at it!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I know this process is really hard, but did you try asking schools last year for feedback? Sometimes that does help. There could be something that you may be doing incorrectly and you do not realize it. Obviously, you are a great applicant with 6 IIs, so it's just a matter of taking it home! I am sure you will hear back positive things in your next three IIs. Just keep at it!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I have and they all said that they don't have the staff to provide feedback...it can't be my interviewing skills as I have several DO acceptances...I am done wit this...I am just gonna play video games and eat fast food till I pass out
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I feel your frustration. But there are people also going through this cycle who would KILL for one of your DO acceptances. You should be THRILLED that you'll be attending an American medical school come next fall. Do you know how many people are forced to go overseas to get a degree? The MD/DO distinction is becoming more and more obsolete by the day: education is the same, and your opportunities are the same, especially with the residency merger.I have and they all said that they don't have the staff to provide feedback...it can't be my interviewing skills as I have several DO acceptances...I am done wit this...I am just gonna play video games and eat fast food till I pass out
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One of my relatives is a DO and is double board certified in two super subspecialties, brings in a killer salary, and drives a fancy sports car. I don't feel a whole lot of sympathy for you, sorry.
</rant>
But there are people also going through this cycle who would KILL for one of your DO acceptances.
</rant>
Like me.
I feel your frustration. But there are people also going through this cycle who would KILL for one of your DO acceptances. You should be THRILLED that you'll be attending an American medical school come next fall. Do you know how many people are forced to go overseas to get a degree? The MD/DO distinction is becoming more and more obsolete by the day: education is the same, and your opportunities are the same, especially with the residency merger.
One of my relatives is a DO and is double board certified in two super subspecialties, brings in a killer salary, and drives a fancy sports car. I don't feel a whole lot of sympathy for you, sorry.
</rant>
I am happy about the DO acceptances..but you missed my point...why are these MD schools inviting me for interviews just to waitlist or reject me...it is a waste of money...I can't say no to the interviews either because anybody in their right mind would pick an MD over a DO school...
DO schools are way inferior to MD schools
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I feel your frustration. But there are people also going through this cycle who would KILL for one of your DO acceptances. You should be THRILLED that you'll be attending an American medical school come next fall. Do you know how many people are forced to go overseas to get a degree? The MD/DO distinction is becoming more and more obsolete by the day: education is the same, and your opportunities are the same, especially with the residency merger.
One of my relatives is a DO and is double board certified in two super subspecialties, brings in a killer salary, and drives a fancy sports car. I don't feel a whole lot of sympathy for you, sorry.
</rant>
DOs also looked down upon when applying to competitive residencies...I don't want to already close doors before even starting...it is ironically a ****** up process for supposedly a humble profession...
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If they were so inferior there would not be a merger. And trust me I know what its like to waste money on traveling somewhere and then getting denied so I feel your ranting man.I am happy about the DO acceptances..but you missed my point...why are these MD schools inviting me for interviews just to waitlist or reject me...it is a waste of money...I can't say no to the interviews either because anybody in their right mind would pick an MD over a DO school...
DO schools are way inferior to MD schools
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted732978
DOs also looked down upon when applying to competitive residencies...I don't want to already close doors before even starting...it is ironically a ****** up process for supposedly a humble profession...
Maybe you weren't hiding this side of you as well as you thought
If they were so inferior there would not be a merger. And trust me I know what its like to waste money on traveling somewhere and then getting denied so I feel your ranting man.
The whole reason for the merger was bc mds were complaining about the residency spots...it helps MDs in the end bc very few residencies will DOs only..
MDs > DOs in any case
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe you weren't hiding this side of you as well as you thought
I am a good actor and had this POV before the DO interviews as well
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you don't get into any MD schools, are u gonna take a DO offer?The whole reason for the merger was bc mds were complaining about the residency spots...it helps MDs in the end bc very few residencies will DOs only..
MDs > DOs in any case
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you don't get into any MD schools, are u gonna take a DO offer?
Yup. But at the same time I know that I closed several doors and will have to work my *** of for an inferior degree
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Also, would any of u take a DO offer over an MD?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
D
deleted732978
I am a good actor and had this POV before the DO interviews as well
Lol but in all seriousness you're obviously good to enough on paper to be invited to visit these schools - trust me the DO interviewers are seeing the same thing the MD ones are, they just aren't as selective and you've likely got what it takes to survive the rigors of med school. The good thing is you'll likely end up at a DO school and be forced to adjust your attitude
Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly it depends on location for me. I know plenty of DOs who are in many specialties: the ones they wanted. I get your pissed about wasting money but I wouldn't bash DOs when you might actually be one 1 dayAlso, would any of u take a DO offer over an MD?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Honestly it depends on location for me. I know plenty of DOs who are in many specialties: the ones they wanted. I get your pissed about wasting money but I wouldn't bash DOs when you might actually be one 1 day
I am an engineer and I bash the profession all the time...this is how you incite change...rather than being sedentary...u have to identify the problem
The whole med school admissions process is flawed and needs to be changed...if qualified applicants are being waitlisted and rejected then there is something wrong...
Funnily enough there is still going to be a physician shortage in the future...
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The whole reason for the merger was bc mds were complaining about the residency spots...it helps MDs in the end bc very few residencies will DOs only..
MDs > DOs in any case
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Smh at the things people say on SDN...as a member of a healthcare team you're going to be expected to work with a variety of professionals. If you think that they are somehow "inferior" to you this will be problematic. Being a good team player is essential to working in healthcare. The sooner you learn to look at your fellow healthcare professionals as equals rather than inferiors the better off you'll be.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I am an engineer and I bash the profession all the time...this is how you incite change...rather than being sedentary...u have to identify the problem
The whole med school admissions process is flawed and needs to be changed...if qualified applicants are being waitlisted and rejected then there is something wrong...
Funnily enough there is still going to be a physician shortage in the future...
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've repeatedly read that it's not so much of a physician shortage as a maldistribution.
I am an engineer and I bash the profession all the time...this is how you incite change...rather than being sedentary...u have to identify the problem
The whole med school admissions process is flawed and needs to be changed...if qualified applicants are being waitlisted and rejected then there is something wrong...
Funnily enough there is still going to be a physician shortage in the future...
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sometimes the flaws can be identified within ourselves rather than the system...Just something to think about.
Also, would any of u take a DO offer over an MD?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, if I got into Michigan State over any MD school thats not Michigan @ Ann Arbor. Your perspective on the whole MD vs. DO school honestly is annoying and immature.
Yes, if I got into Michigan State over any MD school thats not Michigan @ Ann Arbor. Your perspective on the whole MD vs. DO school honestly is annoying and immature.
How do you explain the lower quality of DO schools and lesser residency opportunities? It is also much harder to work in healthcare internationally as a DO vs MD...
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup. But at the same time I know that I closed several doors and will have to work my *** of for an inferior degree
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol so you want an MD over DO because you don't have to work hard? So does that mean that if I got into an MD school then I automatically get to be an orthopedic surgeon, if so, then I need to reconsider my priorities in life. Please get off of that high horse.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What specialty are you looking to get into? I'm curious.
Sometimes the flaws can be identified within ourselves rather than the system...Just something to think about.
So it is my fault that I am working my *** off and telling these schools exactly what they want I hear based on their mission? Everybody lies in these interviews, but it takes real character to admit it...not all of you want to do primary care but isn't that what u r going to say? Not all of you want to spend your free time volunteering, but isn't that what u r going to say? All of u care about money, but u want to be a physician to help the underserved right?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How do you explain the lower quality of DO schools and lesser residency opportunities? It is also much harder to work in healthcare internationally as a DO vs MD...
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would think DO schools are realitively younger of a degree than MD? Not exactly sure on this one honestly but my point is that it was your decision to apply to DO schools. So I dont understand why you're complaining?
What specialty are you looking to get into? I'm curious.
No idea.. but at the same time I don't want to close doors that I have yet to explore...
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol so you want an MD over DO because you don't have to work hard? So does that mean that if I got into an MD school then I automatically get to be an orthopedic surgeon, if so, then I need to reconsider my priorities in life. Please get off of that high horse.
Hey a person that is exactly the same on paper but is a DO and not an MD is going to be looked down upon...
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So it is my fault that I am working my *** off and telling these schools exactly what they want I hear based on their mission? Everybody lies in these interviews, but it takes real character to admit it...not all of you want to do primary care but isn't that what u r going to say? Not all of you want to spend your free time volunteering, but isn't that what u r going to say? All of u care about money, but u want to be a physician to help the underserved right?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Believe it or not, it is easy to pick out people who are passionate about what they are saying from people who are insincerely reciting what they think interviewers want to hear.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Ty
Last edited:
So it is my fault that I am working my *** off and telling these schools exactly what they want I hear based on their mission? Everybody lies in these interviews, but it takes real character to admit it...not all of you want to do primary care but isn't that what u r going to say? Not all of you want to spend your free time volunteering, but isn't that what u r going to say? All of u care about money, but u want to be a physician to help the underserved right?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You might be "telling them what they want to here" but maybe they are intelligent enough to pick up on a bit of an attitude problem. If you experienced the same thing last year and now it's happening again, maybe it's time to adjust your strategy.
@Aubrey Graham You are being really inconsiderate man. I know a lot of DOs who are doing well. Times are changing man. And I really do not like being rude, but you must look good on paper. Something is with your interview. A lot of people go to these interviews and get accepted. They interview you in order to see how you are as a person and if they could see you as a good MD.
And MANY MDs and DOs want to be doctors to provide service to others. It seems like you want to do this career for the money. If so, you are going to have a long road ahead of you. Yes, the money is nice. BUT, this career makes an impact on others that many careers cannot provide. Please consider this. Please.
And please stop bashing DOs. If you think they are looked down upon, keep it to yourself. DOs are respected and times have changed. So you may be a bit misinformed.
And MANY MDs and DOs want to be doctors to provide service to others. It seems like you want to do this career for the money. If so, you are going to have a long road ahead of you. Yes, the money is nice. BUT, this career makes an impact on others that many careers cannot provide. Please consider this. Please.
And please stop bashing DOs. If you think they are looked down upon, keep it to yourself. DOs are respected and times have changed. So you may be a bit misinformed.
I would think DO schools are realitively younger of a degree than MD? Not exactly sure on this one honestly but my point is that it was your decision to apply to DO schools. So I dont understand why you're complaining?
I applied DO because I still want to be a doctor in the end, but I recognized the disadvantages of the degree
I am not going to delude myself into believing that DO = MD to make myself or other DOs feel better
Last post about this. I promise!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You might be "telling them what they want to here" but maybe they are intelligent enough to pick up on a bit of an attitude problem. If you experienced the same thing last year and now it's happening again, maybe it's time to adjust your strategy.
I doubt it. Have you ever seen a good movie or tv show? Those are actors.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@narvik2016 congrats!! happy for you! Rush is at the top of my list of acceptances right now, so maybe see you next year?!
Yup. But at the same time I know that I closed several doors and will have to work my *** of for an inferior degree
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Really...? How exactly do you figure that being a DO is somehow inferior? You sound like one of the many ignorant pre-med kids that this profession doesn't need, and the way you're writing off a medical degree that would allow you to practice and help people is really putting me off. I know far too many DOs that are far superior physicians than MDs simply because they were viewed as "inferior"– just as you're making them out be– and were forced to work harder than their MD peers.
... anybody in their right mind would pick an MD over a DO school...
DO schools are way inferior to MD schools
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Colleagues of this thread, this person is either absolutely hopeless or a troll– I can't figure out which one. If these are truly the beliefs you hold about this incredibly noble profession, then you have absolutely no business pursuing this field.
I'm going to tag @Goro in this thread. He is an adcom at a wonderful DO school and I would absolutely love to hear what he thinks of your string of responses on this thread.
D
deleted732978
I doubt it. Have you ever seen a good movie or tv show? Those are actors.
Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can you all please take this somewhere else? As someone who hasn't yet had the opportunity to interview here it's getting ridiculous
Y
Last edited:
Lp
Last edited:
Noble my ***. Why not become a social worker if you want to help the underserved? Oh yeah, they don't have a sub 200k salary that goes along with it.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reporting this user for inappropriate behavior and taking this thread off-course.
Sorry to hear your pain, Aubrey, but when med schools give you an II, they think that you have on paper what it takes to be a successful medical student, and potentially a good doctor.
They're not flying you out there to reject your or wait list you (the latter is NOT a rejection, BTW). They're wanting to see if you're someone they want as a student, and as a future colleague.
So, for Rush and the other schools, you're either missing something they want, but the DO schools are OK with. Or, more likely, the candidates they accept have something extra.
And if you feel that way about DO schools, as you point out below, then you should definitely give up your accepts, and improve for the MD schools. No need to feel that you'r ea way inferior medical student with a chip on your shoulder.
See if you can speak to the Admissions dean for feedback. There are schools that will give that, but you have to speak to the right person.
They're not flying you out there to reject your or wait list you (the latter is NOT a rejection, BTW). They're wanting to see if you're someone they want as a student, and as a future colleague.
So, for Rush and the other schools, you're either missing something they want, but the DO schools are OK with. Or, more likely, the candidates they accept have something extra.
And if you feel that way about DO schools, as you point out below, then you should definitely give up your accepts, and improve for the MD schools. No need to feel that you'r ea way inferior medical student with a chip on your shoulder.
See if you can speak to the Admissions dean for feedback. There are schools that will give that, but you have to speak to the right person.
I am happy about the DO acceptances..but you missed my point...why are these MD schools inviting me for interviews just to waitlist or reject me...it is a waste of money...I can't say no to the interviews either because anybody in their right mind would pick an MD over a DO school...
DO schools are way inferior to MD schools
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K