2016-2017 Rush Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think we spotted why you got rejected or wait listed.

So it is my fault that I am working my *** off and telling these schools exactly what they want I hear based on their mission? Everybody lies in these interviews, but it takes real character to admit it...not all of you want to do primary care but isn't that what u r going to say? Not all of you want to spend your free time volunteering, but isn't that what u r going to say? All of u care about money, but u want to be a physician to help the underserved right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Back to something very important to Rush students: How about them Cubbies!??!!
I'm from Cleveland, so I'm not too happy, but the Cubs definitely deserve it!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
V bummed that Rush has kept me in the dark for going on 3.5 months now. I've got immediate family alumni too! :(

To those accepted... Does anyone know if there is a facebook group?

Reactions: 2 users
As a Rush student I would highly recommend sensoring some of the things you say as a waitlisted or hopeful applicant. For example maybe don't admit to lying at your interview just to tell people what they want to hear. This is an extremely competitive process and although there are many layers of anonymity on this website, info such as specific day you interviewed followed by profession followed by day you were waitlisted may give more information into a public forum than you realize. This is supposed to be informational so spill your heart, but also remember you're posting things to a public thread. Also, Rush is awesome good luck to all who are still waiting, didn't get invited till January and it all worked out fine!

Reactions: 8 users
Tried to search to see if this has been answered.. but wondering if Rush is receptive to in the area e-mails?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just received an email saying I'm still under consideration. I saw "RMC" in my inbox and nearly had a heart attack.

Just got the update email also, complete end of august.

What does the email say? Was it similar to the one last time? Should we be worried if we didn't get one?

complete mid august. No contact whatsoever. :/

Got the "Application Status" email. Complete on 08/19.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yup I am finally complete as well, mid August

What does the email say? Was it similar to the one last time? Should we be worried if we didn't get one?
Dear rosesarered,

I hope this email finds you well. I would like to once again update you on the current status of your application to Rush Medical College. At this time, the Committee on Admissions continues to review applications and extend interview invitations. Currently, your application is under review. If you are selected for an on-campus interview, you will be notified via email. We will continue to extend interview invitations through the month of February. In the meantime, should you have any questions, feel free to email us at [email protected].

literally no idea what this means in terms of is this good/bad. I know a batch of these type of emails went out a while back for people around my complete date and I did not receive one at that time.

Dear rosesarered,

I hope this email finds you well. I would like to once again update you on the current status of your application to Rush Medical College. At this time, the Committee on Admissions continues to review applications and extend interview invitations. Currently, your application is under review. If you are selected for an on-campus interview, you will be notified via email. We will continue to extend interview invitations through the month of February. In the meantime, should you have any questions, feel free to email us at [email protected].

literally no idea what this means in terms of is this good/bad. I know a batch of these type of emails went out a while back for people around my complete date and I did not receive one at that time.
Oh interesting... I received one then but have nothing today...thanks for posting it. It's nice of them to send these but weird that not everyone gets them. Guess we'll see!

is rush open to update letters/letters of interest? Was complete sometime in July and just got the status email today

Dear rosesarered,

I got this as well... Not sure what to make of it. Was complete end of July.

is rush open to update letters/letters of interest? Was complete sometime in July and just got the status email today
According to this thread, as well as my own research looking at previous cycles, they don't allow for pre-interview updates.

1dz20c.jpg

Reactions: 18 users
I'm not going to read too much into it. I'm seeing it as a message that they're still looking at me and I'm not rejected (yet).
64991567.jpg

Aubrey, I doubt you would be a great fit here tbh. Rush students don't have negative opinions of DOs and we pride ourselves on being an extremely close, supportive, inclusive school. I really hope you aren't actually posting your real information! For everyone else I got my Rush interview last year around this time, and I know others who got theirs even later! And I think over half of my closest friends here came in off the wait list so you're still in it!

Reactions: 6 users
Aubrey, I doubt you would be a great fit here tbh. Rush students don't have negative opinions of DOs and we pride ourselves on being an extremely close, supportive, inclusive school. I really hope you aren't actually posting your real information! For everyone else I got my Rush interview last year around this time, and I know others who got theirs even later! And I think over half of my closest friends here came in off the wait list so you're still in it!

Do you know how many people get off of the waitlist?

I'm sure it varies a lot every year. I was not on the list personally but it seems like there are a lot of them here! (At least within my circle).

Aubrey: is fit not the entire point of an interview?? I don't know the stats, but I wouldn't be surprised if Rush got more apps than any other school in the country. If they wanted they could EASILY fill the class with people with super high scores. But they choose not to because it is a school with a mission an culture they want to maintain! That's why they need to talk to you in person.

From Tufts University School of Medicine which I think can be applied to most if not all medical schools:

"The number of applicants admitted from the wait list varies greatly from year to year. In some years, we have filled a significant number of seats in the entering class from the wait list; in other years, our class has remained full and we have had very little movement from the wait list."

"The greatest factor affecting your chances is the number of withdrawals we will receive before our class matriculates at the end of August. Any number of individuals currently holding positions in our entering class may also be holding multiple wait list positions at other schools, and any number of those individuals may receive an offer from another school and withdraw from Tufts to accept it. We simply do not know how many withdrawals we will receive between now and matriculation, and hence we cannot give you any meaningful assessment of the likelihood of your admission..."

"We do not rank our wait list. As people withdraw from our class, we monitor the demographic composition of the class (geographical distribution, representation of undergraduate institutions, etc.) and admit candidates from the wait list who would best balance the composition of the class..."

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread was one of the most positive school threads before, so in the interest of maintaining that, sending good vibes to everyone this week!

Those who have been accepted, how are you comparing Rush to other schools you've interviewed at?

Reactions: 2 users
This thread was one of the most positive school threads before, so in the interest of maintaining that, sending good vibes to everyone this week!

Those who have been accepted, how are you comparing Rush to other schools you've interviewed at?

I adored it. There is really something to be said about the sense of community. Almost everyone I interacted with had been to Rush for either medical school or residency (or both) and decided to stay on and spend their careers there. Also, every student said their classmates and community were a top reason for picking the school. Also also, Chicago. Location is excellent and the chance to train at Cook County as a medical student is incredible. AND the RCSIP program is unbeatable. I see myself getting involved early, making friends, and becoming an excellent clinician, which is what I want to be.

Overall, unless I am accepted to my state school (which would likely be much cheaper) or get some unbeatable financial aid offer elsewhere, I'll be at Rush!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Some of my friends from college struggled to decide which medical school to attend. I never had that problem. I knew within 30 minutes of my interview day that this is where I wanted to go, and I was not wrong. I would choose Rush again 1000 times. This is a special place. And everytime I turn the corner walking to class and see that beautiful hospital, it feels the same as when I first came here.

Has anyone who interviewed here also interviewed at Loyola? I obviously love Rush and I'm 95% sure it's where I'll be attending, but I got an II from Loyola and can't decide if it's worth it to check it out or not. I kinda feel like I should so I have something to compare Rush to since my other IIs weren't really good fits for me, so if anyone has any input or can compare the schools from personal experience that would be greatly appreciated!

Has anyone who interviewed here also interviewed at Loyola? I obviously love Rush and I'm 95% sure it's where I'll be attending, but I got an II from Loyola and can't decide if it's worth it to check it out or not. I kinda feel like I should so I have something to compare Rush to since my other IIs weren't really good fits for me, so if anyone has any input or can compare the schools from personal experience that would be greatly appreciated!

I interviewed at both. Obviously, this is up to the person -- they are both great schools with a lot of positives. Only you can decide this for yourself, so I say go check it out!

Loyola definitely has a different vibe but is a very impressive school. PM me if you want to hear more, but I'd say check it out.

I actually found Loyola and Rush to be similar in many ways. They are different in other ways, but I would say if you like one there is a good chance you will like the other.

BTW I interviewed here yesterday and LOVED it. The mission to help the underserved is real here, not just lip service. The clinical sites are amazing, and the community is so happy and friendly and welcoming. Easily in the running for my top choice.

BTW I interviewed here yesterday and LOVED it. The mission to help the underserved is real here, not just lip service. The clinical sites are amazing, and the community is so happy and friendly and welcoming. Easily in the running for my top choice.

This is heartwarming. Good luck to all who are applying!

II offered today. Dates available are the first two Wednesdays of the following two months. OOS, complete mid-July.