2016-2017 SUNY - Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there anything we need to do by April 30th besides drop our other acceptances to hold our seat here?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else on the HPA see an opening for their transcripts?

Anyone know when they may start pulling off HPA? I know we can check in around mid-may but when do they actually start making offers?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else on the HPA see an opening for their transcripts?
No and now I feel worried...maybe you have good news coming your way in the future!

Anyone know when they may start pulling off HPA? I know we can check in around mid-may but when do they actually start making offers?
Wondering the same thing but I'm guessing no one knows. The wait is agonizing!

Reactions: 1 user
No and now I feel worried...maybe you have good news coming your way in the future!

Wondering the same thing but I'm guessing no one knows. The wait is agonizing!
I checked in with the admissions office regarding the transcript issue. I wasn't sure if it wasn't something they needed from me or was just there for whatever reason. They said I could send them on now or wait if I get a call. Peculiar that no one else on HPA sees this, I think it's just an aberration.

I just wanted to post the link to the poll for the HPA/waitlist again on this page. This page is going to get a lot more traffic now that traffic day has past and with this poll we can keep track of the people on the hpa/waitlist. Upstate 2016-2017 HPA and waitlist

Hey! I sent an e-mail to Upstate to withdraw my app this weekend and I sent a follow up e-mail today. Did any of y'all get confirmation? Or is there a better way to get in touch with them? I couldn't figure out if we could withdraw on the portal. Thanks and good luck everyone! :)

It took them several days to email me back. Don't worry.

I ranked bing preferred and see that on my portal. Any other HPA folks see a campus change?

Anyone deciding between here and Buffalo? Which way are you leaning and why?

Let's get the withdrawals going, gang :D

Anyone deciding between here and Buffalo? Which way are you leaning and why?
I personally would consider buffalo better than upstate, they have a brand new facility, less than a year old, and they give more scholarship money according to the MSAR. Also I just like the enivironmet of buffalo more than upstate. Full disclosure, I was rejected post interview by buffalo and I'm on the HPA on upstate so my opinion might be biased.

Members don't see this ad :)
I like Upstate better. I think the match is stronger in general and the program is cheaper (if you are comparing in state tuitions to each other). Plus the environment of the Syracuse campus seemed better IMHO. I dont think you could go wrong choosing either school but I would go to Upstate over Buffalo given the choice.

I like Upstate better. I think the match is stronger in general and the program is cheaper (if you are comparing in state tuitions to each other). Plus the environment of the Syracuse campus seemed better IMHO. I dont think you could go wrong choosing either school but I would go to Upstate over Buffalo given the choice.
Agree! Upstate has incredible matching.

Hi guys,
I'm a long time OOS lurker on this thread. I interviewed on Feb 22nd and was placed on the HPA list on April 13th. Hoping for some movement in the next two weeks! If anyone who regularly reads this forum but doesn't post has moved off of HPA list, please please make an SDN account and let everyone know!

Anyone decide on their living situation yet? I definitely want to live alone and in the Geneva tower but am not sure what's the likelihood of an incoming first year getting a single apartment.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Anyone decide on their living situation yet? I definitely want to live alone and in the Geneva tower but am not sure what's the likelihood of an incoming first year getting a single apartment.

Extremely unlikely.

The singles were all rented by January I believe.

Any current students willing to opine on whether an iPad Pro is not a good idea for notetaking?

That's what I thought. Would Jefferson/Madison have better odds?

Yep, I can think of 3 people off the top of my head with a single in Jefferson/Madison. I think the prices are comparable, but (from what I've seen) Jefferson's singles are bigger than Madison's. Other common choices for living alone are Westcott street - cheap, not too far, can definitely find some nice studios/1BR's, and downtown - more expensive but super nice apartments, not too far.

I'd recommend Jefferson/Madison since I enjoy the 10min walk in the morning to clear my head. Westcott/downtown are just a wee bit too far to walk, although you certainly could (~25mins)

PS I live in a 2BR in Geneva

Yep, I can think of 3 people off the top of my head with a single in Jefferson/Madison. I think the prices are comparable, but (from what I've seen) Jefferson's singles are bigger than Madison's. Other common choices for living alone are Westcott street - cheap, not too far, can definitely find some nice studios/1BR's, and downtown - more expensive but super nice apartments, not too far.

Thanks for the great advice! I'll keep that in mind.

Any current students willing to opine on whether an iPad Pro is not a good idea for notetaking?

Totally depends on how you learn. Honestly, hold off on tech purchases until you know what works for you. Many people don't even attend lecture and simply watch the recordings from home, so for these people (myself included) a tablet for note taking would not be useful.

I guess if you already know you're a big note taker and you'll 100% attend lecture then go for the tablet. Taking notes using OneNote is definitely the way to go though.

In a 'grey area' on the HPA ranking so I'm not optimistic and am presuming I'm headed to my current acceptance.

In a 'grey area' on the HPA ranking so I'm not optimistic and am presuming I'm headed to my current acceptance.
Did you call and find out? Did they say if the waitlist has started moving? Sorry to hear if that is the case, but there is still a lot of time!

Did you call and find out? Did they say if the waitlist has started moving? Sorry to hear if that is the case, but there is still a lot of time!
Checked in via email

I'd recommend Jefferson/Madison since I enjoy the 10min walk in the morning to clear my head. Westcott/downtown are just a wee bit too far to walk, although you certainly could (~25mins)

PS I live in a 2BR in Geneva

How is the walk during winter time? Crossing under the overpass/bridge doesn't seem very safe, especially when it gets dark.

For MS2s, for the orientation day where you get to choose your schedule (4 activities/talks), which activities are worth doing?

For MS2s, for the orientation day where you get to choose your schedule (4 activities/talks), which activities are worth doing?
This part of orientation is brand new this year, so just go to what interests you.

How is the walk during winter time? Crossing under the overpass/bridge doesn't seem very safe, especially when it gets dark.

The walk isn't horrible, it sucks in the winter but that's to be expected.

I live in Madison and I have to cross the street one more time than people who live in Geneva so it isn't much of a difference. You'll still have to walk under the bridge if you live in Geneva.

From Geneva to class during the winter, it honestly wasn't too bad. Yea it'll be dark and slippery in the during the winters, but as long as you have boots and take your time, you should be fine. I'm also just used to walking everywhere, having lived in Boston for 5 years.

So the make your own schedule during orientation is actually a new thing that they're doing, so no idea which activities are "worth" your time. Do whatever you're interested in!

I reached out to the admissions office today and was told that I was in a good position on the HPA and they usually go beyond my spot. Hopefully I get get accepted and hopefully it's sooner rather than later. I don't want to pay a secondary deposit to my DO school.

Reactions: 3 users
I reached out to the admissions office today and was told that I was in a good position on the HPA and they usually go beyond my spot. Hopefully I get get accepted and hopefully it's sooner rather than later. I don't want to pay a secondary deposit to my DO school.
That's awesome news! Did you call them or email?

+1! Just called today and she said today is the first day they're going to start pulling from the HPA

Reactions: 1 users
I have nothing constructive to add but I would like all my fellow people on the HPA know that the wait is killing me. Also I'm surprised that no know posted that they got accepted yet.

I have nothing constructive to add but I would like all my fellow people on the HPA know that the wait is killing me. Also I'm surprised that no know posted that they got accepted yet.
I feel the same way. I'm also afraid to call and ask about my position because I don't know if I can handle being crushed by bad news...

One of my friends just got accepted to GW and is gonna withdraw her acceptance from here. Just figured I'd let you guys know who are still waiting to hear back!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
I totally understand... I'm not so patiently waiting to hear back and I'm not sure how to help my cause at this point!

I'm withdrawing my acceptance here - just waiting to get confirmation from the other school that I have the seat.

Reactions: 2 users
I feel the same way. I'm also afraid to call and ask about my position because I don't know if I can handle being crushed by bad news...
You have more self control than me, I called to find out my position as soon as we were allowed to. I only wish they told more than you're in "a good position, we usually reach your spot, or you're in the grey area." For a school that brags about being open to its applicants, they are very vague

Either no one got accepted or they didn't post it on SDN :(
From my understanding of how traffic day works and the waitlist from other schools, most people who are going to be accepted from the waitlist should have been accepted by now. That's why I'm surprised that no one from sdn posted about it, it's not like this is a dead forum.

First time poster here...just wanted to to vent that the wait to hear back from here has been a killer.

They sent me the same exact email from 5 days ago this morning (in response to inquiring about my position on waitlist). I'm not sure why they would email me twice the exact same thing without any prompt. They mentioned they typically reach my position in previous years but can't guarantee blah blah check back in July. :(((((

Just curious...did anyone else's email about their HPA status have a "...hang in there"?