You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2023-2024 SUNY Upstate (Norton)
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
509 MCAT, 4.0 GPA. In-state resident. Graduated from an Albany college. Two gap years. Student athlete, unique EMS career, and strong leadership backgroundIf any accepted folks are willing to share their stats (even a range), that would be super helpful for future students. I know I for one would really appreciate it
Anybody receive their financial aid package yet? Any idea when they'll release this stuff so I can start planning for loans and figuring out how to pay for an apartment?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No dude it's so badAnybody receive their financial aid package yet? Any idea when they'll release this stuff so I can start planning for loans and figuring out how to pay for an apartment?
student198747
New Member
No financial aid, but I did receive a couple scholarships so far so I think those are being rolled out now.
How do we view financial aid?
aspiringmed23
Full Member
did u apply for these?No financial aid, but I did receive a couple scholarships so far so I think those are being rolled out now.
LittleCoaks
Full Member
I’m on HPA and haven’t heard yetHas anyone gotten out of the HPA list this cycle?
bingbong27
Full Member
in previous years it seems like the HPA doesn’t have movement until a week or two into May
student198747
New Member
Nopedid u apply for these?
ChooChooDoc
New Member
517 MCAT, 2.8/3.2 UG GPA. 3.8 GPA in post grad. OOS no ties to NY.If any accepted folks are willing to share their stats (even a range), that would be super helpful for future students. I know I for one would really appreciate it
LittleCoaks
Full Member
What were your hours like?517 MCAT, 2.8/3.2 UG GPA. 3.8 GPA in post grad. OOS no ties to NY.
ChooChooDoc
New Member
I'm non-traditional so some of my hours are pretty old. For community service: 1800 hours of volley EMS, extra 175 hours in a SNF since covid. Pretty minimal traditional shadowing hours (sub 100), but I had 6 years of paid patient care experience.What were your hours like?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
517 MCAT, 2.8/3.2 UG GPA. 3.8 GPA in post grad. OOS no ties to NY.
That UG gpa just gave a lot of people hope! Thank you for sharing!
bingbong27
Full Member
The waiting for any updates on the HPA list is driving me crazy
Anyone contact the school to see if there has been decent WL movement yet?
LittleCoaks
Full Member
Also HPA and haven’t heard anything yetThe waiting for any updates on the HPA list is driving me crazy
The waiting for any updates on the HPA list is driving me crazy
I read on another forum that this is happening to all schools this year and it has created a domino effect. It’s not just a SUNY Upstate thing.
LittleCoaks
Full Member
3 weeks and no movement is insane
bingbong27
Full Member
Has anyone contacted the school recently to see how the HPA is going?
LittleCoaks
Full Member
No but i’m on HPA and haven’t heard anything yetHas anyone contacted the school recently to see how the HPA is going?
I emailed [email protected] concerning if the waitlist was moving and they gave me more information about my ranking.No but i’m on HPA and haven’t heard anything yet
LittleCoaks
Full Member
Did they say if the list was moving?I emailed [email protected] concerning if the waitlist was moving and they gave me more information about my ranking.
LittleCoaks
Full Member
I’ve heard nothing so far. Beyond frustrating lolI’m pretty surprised there hasn’t been movement, unless people who’ve gotten off the HPA haven’t said anything?
LittleCoaks
Full Member
Just was told from admissions that my position on HPA “[hasn’t been reached] in many years and [we] do not anticipate reaching it this year” so for any non-HPA applicants, the prospects aren’t looking strong. Just wanted to put that out there for anyone wondering
Was this the first time you reached out to admissions? When I reached out they said I was in a gray area and to reach out again in June for updates about movementJust was told from admissions that my position on HPA “[hasn’t been reached] in many years and [we] do not anticipate reaching it this year” so for any non-HPA applicants, the prospects aren’t looking strong. Just wanted to put that out there for anyone wondering
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
LittleCoaks
Full Member
Yes, i reached out today to ask a few questions and the response was basically “better off focusing on a reapplication” lol. Which again is at least a little strange since i’m HPA. You’d expect HPA to be defined by the students they plan to take off the waitlistWas this the first time you reached out to admissions? When I reached out they said I was in a gray area and to reach out again in June for updates about movement
LittleCoaks
Full Member
We just received an email regarding the admissions cycle which will probably clear up all questions anyone has. I’m thankful for the transparency they gave
That being said, it looks like this cycle is essentially completed at this point. Good luck to everyone with the rest of the cycle, the next one, or whatever the future holds
That being said, it looks like this cycle is essentially completed at this point. Good luck to everyone with the rest of the cycle, the next one, or whatever the future holds
Well that email sucked
LittleCoaks
Full Member
Yeah it’s disappointing, but it’s better than being left in the dark the rest of the summer. I’m glad they broke down the numbers too. Most schools would never share that info. Best we could ask for in this situationWell that email sucked
Out of curiosity can you guys share the email?
Maybe if it wasn't my only A 😂😂Any accepted student today wake up and decide to decline? 😂
Fair enough it was worth a shotMaybe if it wasn't my only A 😂😂
aspiringmed23
Full Member
Loll same here 🤣Maybe if it wasn't my only A 😂😂
DestinedCrossroads
New Member
For anyone who received admission into Upstate via the AMSNY Post-Bacc, there is a GroupMe you can join using the following link: AMSNY GroupMe 2024-2025
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know if Upstate requires a drug screen prior to pre-clinical matriculation? I’ve seen some other schools who do, so just kinda curious if they do too.
YeDoes anyone know if Upstate requires a drug screen prior to pre-clinical matriculation? I’ve seen some other schools who do, so just kinda curious if they do too.
So before starting M1 at orientation they're going to do a urine drug test? What if you are taking a prescribed controlled medication what do you do?
You would have a doctor’s note stating the medication and dosage because prescription values won’t be as high as regular values.So before starting M1 at orientation they're going to do a urine drug test? What if you are taking a prescribed controlled medication what do you do?
Best thing is to ask these questions to students on the discord if you don’t want to alert the administration.
I would have guessed something similar, it just seems odd to me that no one (upperclassmen in discord or admin) has mentioned this at all. I have no problem providing a doctors note, I wouldn't automatically think to bring one with me though to orientation without any indication that it would be needed due to a urine drug test. Weird 🤔You would have a doctor’s note stating the medication and dosage because prescription values won’t be as high as regular values.
Best thing is to ask these questions to students on the discord if you don’t want to alert the administration.
Last edited: