2016-2017 Texas A&M Health Science Center Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Quick question for students/accepted students: will we hear anything about merit scholarships before the match?[/QUOTE
Speaking from my experience/what I've gathered from talking to classmates- you may not know about scholarships for a few months. I prematched, however, I did not get my scholarship until March. I have heard of people getting scholarship offers with prematch acceptance, but I think the majority of people get scholarships after the match has already happened, so don't feel like you can't get a substantial award if you haven't been admitted or heard anything yet. I think part of the reason for this is that the med school and A&M are fully merged now, so all financial aid goes through the main campus, and that seems to slow the process down at times.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
M1 speaking from my experience/what I've gathered from talking to classmates- you may not know about scholarships for a few months. I prematched, however, I did not get my scholarship until March. I have heard of people getting scholarship offers with prematch acceptance, but I think the majority of people get scholarships after the match has already happened, so don't feel like you can't get a substantial award if you haven't been admitted or heard anything yet. I think part of the reason for this is that the med school and A&M are fully merged now, so all financial aid goes through the main campus, and that seems to slow the process down at times.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
M1 speaking from my experience/what I've gathered from talking to classmates- you may not know about scholarships for a few months. I prematched, however, I did not get my scholarship until March. I have heard of people getting scholarship offers with prematch acceptance, but I think the majority of people get scholarships after the match has already happened, so don't feel like you can't get a substantial award if you haven't been admitted or heard anything yet. I think part of the reason for this is that the med school and A&M are fully merged now, so all financial aid goes through the main campus, and that seems to slow the process down at times.

One of my priorities for medical school is to stay close to my family and significant other. I absolutely love AM and the 1/3 program where I can come back to Dallas. Do you know if people who prematches/get accepted early have a good chance of getting into Dallas? Thanks for all the info you have given!

did you get in, Cytokine123? (your last post was sad face portal crashing?)

I did! I prematched. Best feeling ever! I will most likely matriculate here. By the way, you are one of the most helpful voices on this forum. Every time I read one of your posts, I can't help but smile slightly or feel a sense of comfort.

Reactions: 1 users
I did! I prematched. Best feeling ever! I will most likely matriculate here. By the way, you are one of the most helpful voices on this forum. Every time I read one of your posts, I can't help but smile slightly or feel a sense of comfort.
Thanks Cytokine123, very happy that you got in! I think most classes start up a Facebook page after February match day when the decisions of the students with more than one acceptance have settled in.

Got the email on Friday, looks like there will be a celebration for accepted students on December 3rd!

Can confirm, ~50% based on previous data of interviews/acceptances offered.
Sorry :| You is correct. IDK why the number 75 got stuck in my head. Sorry for the false info y'all :( My bad

Called A&M earlier today and they said that they are done sending prematch offers. I remember someone here saying that they called A&M and found out that there is another prematch wave coming up in December. Sorry guys, I guess the rest of us will have to wait till match day :dead:.

Called A&M earlier today and they said that they are done sending prematch offers. I remember someone here saying that they called A&M and found out that there is another prematch wave coming up in December. Sorry guys, I guess the rest of us will have to wait till match day :dead:.

They are match heavy anyways! If you didn't get one we have ample opportunity come Feb!

I heard different during my interview day a few days ago.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
What did they say? I'm interviewing in a few weeks and I'd love to know if I'm eligible for prematch.
I know with 100% certainty that they have prematched applicants since the prematch date, so just go in there and do your best! You never know

Hey guys, if you interviewed here does your portal status say interviewed? I know some schools have status changes that indicate rejection (UNT), just wanted to check how it is for A&M.

Hey guys, if you interviewed here does your portal status say interviewed? I know some schools have status changes that indicate rejection (UNT), just wanted to check how it is for A&M.
if you interviewed and your status says interviewed, it probably means you were interviewed.

if you interviewed and your status says interviewed, it probably means you were interviewed.

What he means is whether or not a&m says "rejection" if you're rejected or does it remain as "interviewed" even if you are rejected and they just wait until the match or a future date to let you know

I know with 100% certainty that they have prematched applicants since the prematch date, so just go in there and do your best! You never know
What do you mean you can say with a 100% certainty lol? I am not saying its impossible, if they like the applicant that much and could not fathom losing them then yes, sure. Unlikely, but possible yes. I can't say anything with a 100% certainty though. All I can say is that I called them and they said that they are done sending out pre-match offers.

What do you mean you can say with a 100% certainty lol? I am not saying its impossible, if they like the applicant that much and could not fathom losing them then yes, sure. Unlikely, but possible yes. I can't say anything with a 100% certainty though. All I can say is that I called them and they said that they are done sending out pre-match offers.
Because I personally know of people who have prematched since 11/15

Reactions: 1 users

If they know people who matched, then it's probably 100% certain lol

Because I personally know of people who have prematched since 11/15

That maybe true but I called them on 11/22 and they said that they are done sending prematch offers for people who have interviewed already. Thats all I'm saying lol. Not saying that anyone who has interviewed since 11/15 is not gonna get a prematch.

Have all of their interview invites been sent out? Or can we expect to hear soon?

Do TX schools offer scholarships as an incentive to come to their school? And if they do, do these scholarships go to the acceptances w/ like LizzyM or 75+ or do they also offer them to the average matriculation stat people too?

That maybe true but I called them on 11/22 and they said that they are done sending prematch offers for people who have interviewed already. Thats all I'm saying lol. Not saying that anyone who has interviewed since 11/15 is not gonna get a prematch.
The people I know who have been prematched, and I mean since the 11/15 date, all interviewed prior to the prematch date. In fact one of them was as early as August. I'm not saying you weren't told that information, I'm saying you were told incorrect information ;)

Anyone get a scholarship from here?
At my interview, they said that scholarship offers would go out about 2 weeks after acceptances. So I think we have to wait a bit longer from here

Does anyone know how difficult it is to get into the MD/MBA program here?

The people I know who have been prematched, and I mean since the 11/15 date, all interviewed prior to the prematch date. In fact one of them was as early as August. I'm not saying you weren't told that information, I'm saying you were told incorrect information ;)

That may very well be true, Sir.
Lol just curious, but how many people do you know who Prematched?

Thanks! Haven't RSVP'd yet, but it's for 12/8 at Temple. Do we need to find a hotel to stay at? That's what it seems like, judging by the email
I interviewed at CS/Bryan, but there are student hosts! You should get an email by the welcoming committee about it.

I interviewed at CS/Bryan, but there are student hosts! You should get an email by the welcoming committee about it.
How long did it take them to get back to you about it? I got the II for that date almost 2 months ago but haven't heard anything about staying with a student yet.

How long did it take them to get back to you about it? I got the II for that date almost 2 months ago but haven't heard anything about staying with a student yet.
Typically they don't send you info on who your host is until a week to a week and half before, but if you haven't heard anything at all about requesting a student host I would call and ask about it. I only have the contact information for B/CS, otherwise I would give it to you

Typically they don't send you info on who your host is until a week to a week and half before, but if you haven't heard anything at all about requesting a student host I would call and ask about it. I only have the contact information for B/CS, otherwise I would give it to you
I sent an email to follow up the week before Thanksgiving and they didn't respond. I'll probably just give them a call to make sure. Normally, they have answered my emails within 1-2 hours, so I was a little confused about it. Maybe I'm just nervous about the interview next week. My interview is at B/CS as well, but I have the contact info already. Thanks!

Thanks! Haven't RSVP'd yet, but it's for 12/8 at Temple. Do we need to find a hotel to stay at? That's what it seems like, judging by the email

If you don't receive word about it and your interview is coming up shoot me a PM. I'm at Temple and can help you find a couch for the night

Is it too late to get an interview at this point? :(

Is it too late to get an interview at this point? :(

There will also be 2 interview dates in January, so there is still hope that more invites get sent out after the holidays are over.

Reactions: 3 users
How long after ya'lls interviews did A&M show up on your preference rank page? I interviewed on Nov. 17th and it still hasn't show up.

How long after ya'lls interviews did A&M show up on your preference rank page? I interviewed on Nov. 17th and it still hasn't show up.

It took about a month for it to show up on my TMDSAS. Don't worry it'll show up sooner or later!

Does it help to attend the social the night before the interview? I'm leaning towards no because I'm afraid it might make me more nervous. I'll be at the Temple location.

Does it help to attend the social the night before the interview? I'm leaning towards no because I'm afraid it might make me more nervous. I'll be at the Temple location.

One of the main goals of the social is to try to calm people's nerves so they can be helpful for that. I couldn't make it to the social but I also interviewed at Temple and the students were very laid back and helpful, so I can only imagine that they would do what they can to help people relax and answer questions the night before

It's just dinner/ appetizers! If you're in town for your interview this evening then come on by, I promise it's not at all intimidating!

Last edited:
For those who interviewed at the Bryan/College Station campus: how late did the day go? The interview email said the day is 8 AM to 5 PM but that seems pretty long compared to other interviews. Does it really go so late?

For those who interviewed at the Bryan/College Station campus: how late did the day go? The interview email said the day is 8 AM to 5 PM but that seems pretty long compared to other interviews. Does it really go so late?

So the interviews start after lunch, around 2 or 2:30 I believe. You have two interviews, which may or may not be back to back, and as soon as you are done with both, you are free to leave.