2016-2017 Texas A&M Health Science Center Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Honestly I think the best policy is to just wait until May 29th and see what happens. All this speculation isn't accomplishing anything.

I will say, however, that this would reflect extremely poorly on A&M since they pinned the class size reduction basically 100% on the budget cuts. Statements like these would be pretty dicey to make:

"Q:How will cuts to enrollment impact the field of medicine in Texas? What are the possible implications related to access to care across the state—looking several years down the road?
A: Decreasing class size will negatively impact our ability to address the physician shortage in Texas. The implications for decreasing class size will be felt in the years to come as qualified students are potentially forced to train out of state."
I completely agree with you. I want to make it clear that in keeping consistency with the letter A&M sent out, I wouldn't expect them to act on increased funding until after their stated date of June 1.

Members don't see this ad.

That would make no sense. Keeping the class size at 150 and not training an additional 30-50 students given adequate resources seems like it would be a disservice to the state.

Did you speak to an administrator or one of the front desk staff? I feel like the front desk would just be instructed to give a status quo type of answer until the Dean does decide.
I spoke to Vanessa Smithey I believe. She's the admissions coordinator.

None of us understand the internal workings of a medical school so why do we act like we know what they should do? Just because you want them to increase their class size and accept you? Please, do yourself a favor, be happy with where you were admitted or prepare your application to reapply. Let it go.
Honestly I think the best policy is to just wait until May 29th and see what happens. All this speculation isn't accomplishing anything.

I will say, however, that this would reflect extremely poorly on A&M since they pinned the class size reduction basically 100% on the budget cuts. Statements like these would be pretty dicey to make:

"Q:How will cuts to enrollment impact the field of medicine in Texas? What are the possible implications related to access to care across the state—looking several years down the road?
A: Decreasing class size will negatively impact our ability to address the physician shortage in Texas. The implications for decreasing class size will be felt in the years to come as qualified students are potentially forced to train out of state."
Looks pretty bad for A&M given the only reason they stated for reducing class size WAS the budget cuts, which weren't even finalized at the point they sent the letters out. In any case, even if the budget cuts were to happen, it would make sense to reduce the class size in the up coming cycle to compensate for the FINALIZED budget, if it was reduced.

Smells pretty foul A&M. I see a lawsuit coming their way.

Members don't see this ad :)
None of us understand the internal workings of a medical school so why do we act like we know what they should do? Just because you want them to increase their class size and accept you? Please, do yourself a favor, be happy with where you were admitted or prepare your application to reapply. Let it go.
jcorpsmanMD, you need to relax. I've noticed your comments are consistently passive-aggressive towards people talking about the A&M waitlist. It's not like A&M would recede your offer of acceptance by force (I'm assuming you got in to A&M) and offer it to someone on the waitlist. So relax.

And yes, things in life, for example how a Medical School makes decisions is not always simple. But as czm9 pointed out, the explicit reason for their decision of reducing class size was in fact budget cuts, as stated by Texas A&M, officially. Hence, by evidence of no budget cuts and an very high likelihood of a raise in budgeting, there is no reason for A&M to keep the reduced class size. The least they can do is give people more insight on what exactly is going on and why are they not going back to the initial class size given their initial concrete reason/scenario is no longer happening.

It's just foul for A&M to say nothing. An update is justified. They need to start being more accountable, unless they have more people like you on board, who want those who didn't get accepted right away to STFU and suck it up, the world isn't fair, BLAH BLAH.

Reactions: 1 user
Smells pretty foul A&M. I see a lawsuit coming their way.

I would love to meet the imbecile who decides to sue over this and shake their hand: it takes guts to throw away your chance at an American medical education. They would lose, and to catastrophic effect.

Y'all just need to be patient. I understand the feelings of injustice, and would have likely felt the same way if they had cut the wait list my incoming year (I wouldn't be here). Let the budgets be passed, let the administration form their response and game plan.

Overall, as unfair as anyone may feel this is, and believe me, it is unfair on many levels, the best move right now is to focus on an application cycle that cuts out the wait list entirely.

Reactions: 4 users
I would love to meet the imbecile who decides to sue over this and shake their hand: it takes guts to throw away your chance at an American medical education. They would lose, and to catastrophic effect.

Y'all just need to be patient. I understand the feelings of injustice, and would have likely felt the same way if they had cut the wait list my incoming year (I wouldn't be here). Let the budgets be passed, let the administration form their response and game plan.

Overall, as unfair as anyone may feel this is, and believe me, it is unfair on many levels, the best move right now is to focus on an application cycle that cuts out the wait list entirely.
If standing up to injustice and non-accountability makes a person an imbecile, then call me an imbecile. I guess anybody who ever stood up to injustice in history was an imbecile, at least by the people they were standing up against. I'll let you shake my hand and give you a hug while I'm at it. Nysor_bttw you seem to know quite a bit. about the inner administration of A&M. I remember you saying that you had heard about the class size being reduced before the letters were sent out.

Given that you have some insider info and possibly know people in the administration, I would like to urge you to ask the administration of A&M to do the right thing. Or, at the very least, address why they are not going to increase class size back to normal given that the Budget problem is not looking like a problem anymore. Silence and vague answers aren't cutting it any more. As an institution they need to be more responsible.

I encourage you to not do that. This is not an injustice, just the trials of state funded higher education. The only thing you serve to gain by taking on the monolith that is Texas A&M in court is a black mark to your name, everywhere. Trust me, it's not worth it.

I have my contacts, but really I'm just in the know from colleagues who do work directly with admissions. I have not met the Dean, and even if I was on a first name basis I would not be so pompous so as to suggest to her what "the right thing" is. That is simply above my expertise and experience with responsibility. A budget problem is not simply a number on a proposed (I.E. not yet passed) budget, it is a lot of things beyond our sight. I would love to see transparency in the process as well, and I have faith that in time we will see that. In my experience, with 6 years in this system as a very involved student, this is not being handled flippantly.

Most of all, and I know you don't want to hear this, Byington and the administration owe you nothing. They have made their thoughts and plans known, and all contact from this point is a courtesy.

Reactions: 2 users
If standing up to injustice and non-accountability makes a person an imbecile, then call me an imbecile. I guess anybody who ever stood up to injustice in history was an imbecile, at least by the people they were standing up against. I'll let you shake my hand and give you a hug while I'm at it. Nysor_bttw you seem to know quite a bit. about the inner administration of A&M. I remember you saying that you had heard about the class size being reduced before the letters were sent out.

Given that you have some insider info and possibly know people in the administration, I would like to urge you to ask the administration of A&M to do the right thing. Or, at the very least, address why they are not going to increase class size back to normal given that the Budget problem is not looking like a problem anymore. Silence and vague answers aren't cutting it any more. As an institution they need to be more responsible.
As an institution they don't care about your feelings or anybody else's for that matter. They, like any other institution make decisions that are in their benefit, reasons known or unknown. You seem to believe that medial school is your right, let me remind you, it is a privilege. I am sorry that they cut the class size but don't be foolish. They may answer your questions, they may be polite but by no means are they required to do so. I hope you get into medical school this cycle, I really do, but you need to mature buddy. Sincerely, good luck!

Most of all, and I know you don't want to hear this, Byington and the administration owe you nothing. They have made their thoughts and plans known, and all contact from this point is a courtesy.
They do owe a valid answer to the state of Texas and the people that reside in it, given that they accept funding from the state. You guys go on defending this in any way you seem fit and I get why you would do that. Well lets see what happens. I am not the one to sit around and do nothing about things I don't feel are right.

I remember during their interview, they asked me "Have you ever stood up for someone?". It seems to be quite a popular question at A&M interview. I guess because they want their students to have some values that align with standing up and speaking up against injustice and what is right. And I think it is time I stand up for my self, and the other people who may be too scared to do so and stand up for what is right. I don't care if I will be ruining my shot at an "American Medical Education", if that what it takes to stand up to a monolith such as A&M.

Your funeral mate. I guarantee you the experienced doctors, accountants, lawyers, and educators that are involved in this process know what's better for the HSC and the state than your feelings.

Reactions: 1 users
If only @Goro was here.
I am SO not stepping into this one.

To those of you on the wait list who got said list turned into an unexpected early rejection, you have my sympathies.

My impression is that UTSA took the conservative approach in light of a looming budget cut and did an amputation of the wait list, rather than risk proceeding as normal in hope of restoration of funds, but then having to deal with an overbooked class in case the cuts weren't rescinded.

If you want to complain to someone, take it higher up the chain of command...the University president/provost/CEO/chancellor.

One more piece of advice: anyone on a wait list anywhere, with no accepts, should consider themselves rejected and needing to reapply, until they have an accept at hand. Always have a Plan B in this process.

Reactions: 3 users
As someone gearing up to apply this cycle, I was wondering how you guys addressed the A&M secondary hardship essay and the TMDSAS primary optional essay. Specifically, if you discussed a hardship/challenge in the TMDSAS optional essay did you further elaborate in the A&M secondary essay, leave it blank, say "see TMDSAS optional essay," something else?

I've seen this question asked a few times but never answered. I was hoping you guys could help me out.

Thanks and congrats to everyone who got an acceptance; good luck to everyone still waiting!

Members don't see this ad :)
As someone gearing up to apply this cycle, I was wondering how you guys addressed the A&M secondary hardship essay and the TMDSAS primary optional essay. Specifically, if you discussed a hardship/challenge in the TMDSAS optional essay did you further elaborate in the A&M secondary essay, leave it blank, say "see TMDSAS optional essay," something else?

I've seen this question asked a few times but never answered. I was hoping you guys could help me out.

Thanks and congrats to everyone who got an acceptance; good luck to everyone still waiting!

ALWAYS write the TMDSAS optional essay -- it's really not optional and reflects badly if you don't write it. Write another essay about another hardship for A&M. Doesn't have to be about a flashy incident -- the point is to demonstrate how you overcame a challenge.

I know more essays seems like a huge chore, but think of them as an opportunity for you to really express yourself and stand out.

ALWAYS write the TMDSAS optional essay -- it's really not optional and reflects badly if you don't write it. Write another essay about another hardship for A&M. Doesn't have to be about a flashy incident -- the point is to demonstrate how you overcame a challenge.

I know more essays seems like a huge chore, but think of them as an opportunity for you to really express yourself and stand out.

Thanks. Do you think it's appropriate in the A&M essay to say something to the effect of "My biggest challenge was blah blah blah, which I discussed in the TMDSAS optional essay. My second greatest challenge was... [finish A&M essay discussing this second challenge]."

My concern is that my biggest challenge is pretty legit, but my second biggest challenge is fairly trivial by comparison. If I dedicate the A&M essay to the second greatest challenge, I don't want them to overlook the more significant challenge.

Thanks. Do you think it's appropriate in the A&M essay to say something to the effect of "My biggest challenge was blah blah blah, which I discussed in the TMDSAS optional essay. My second greatest challenge was... [finish A&M essay discussing this second challenge]."

My concern is that my biggest challenge is pretty legit, but my second biggest challenge is fairly trivial by comparison. If I dedicate the A&M essay to the second greatest challenge, I don't want them to overlook the more significant challenge.
I had the same problem. Personally, I didn't mention my greatest challenge because I had already mentioned it in my TMDSAS essay. I just wrote about the lesser challenge but to be completely honest was difficult to write because as you mentioned, it was trivial compared to what I wrote about for my TMDAS essay. Good luck!

@Goro can you please elaborate on what you mean by UTSA did an amputation of the waitlist? They shortened the waitlist or got rid of it all together?

Thanks!
I am SO not stepping into this one.

To those of you on the wait list who got said list turned into an unexpected early rejection, you have my sympathies.

My impression is that UTSA took the conservative approach in light of a looming budget cut and did an amputation of the wait list, rather than risk proceeding as normal in hope of restoration of funds, but then having to deal with an overbooked class in case the cuts weren't rescinded.

If you want to complain to someone, take it higher up the chain of command...the University president/provost/CEO/chancellor.

One more piece of advice: anyone on a wait list anywhere, with no accepts, should consider themselves rejected and needing to reapply, until they have an accept at hand. Always have a Plan B in this process.

Meaning they turned the wait list into a reject list due to their concerns about funding.

Do you mean A&M? I haven't seen anything saying UTHSA did this too.

They do owe a valid answer to the state of Texas and the people that reside in it, given that they accept funding from the state. You guys go on defending this in any way you seem fit and I get why you would do that. Well lets see what happens. I am not the one to sit around and do nothing about things I don't feel are right.

I remember during their interview, they asked me "Have you ever stood up for someone?". It seems to be quite a popular question at A&M interview. I guess because they want their students to have some values that align with standing up and speaking up against injustice and what is right. And I think it is time I stand up for my self, and the other people who may be too scared to do so and stand up for what is right. I don't care if I will be ruining my shot at an "American Medical Education", if that what it takes to stand up to a monolith such as A&M.

I'm pretty sure "have you ever stood up for someone" is about issues deeper than cutting medical school seats. You're making this sound like you're a civil rights leader standing up for the oppressed. As someone who has made rash moves when I'm emotional about something, you really need to take a day or two and calm down. Think about other careers you may be interested in. Because if you do this, you'll need to get one of those new careers.

Reactions: 5 users

Nah, they're going to read both essays anyway. And besides, it's less about the incident and more about your approach to the topic. I've edited some TMDSAS essays that "tell instead of showing" because the authors think the topic is impressive enough by itself. Whereas some supplemental essays on smaller topics might be more compelling because they're more nuanced. It's really about showing your thought process and less about showing off.

Okay, so I'm trying to get a handle on all the fees and stuff I'll need to pay during this initial paperwork phase: So far I know accepted students need to cover the background check fee, white coat, and immunizations. Do we also need to cover the cost of the Urinalysis/Hair follicle drug screen during orientation week too? I know from one of my past jobs the hair test was pretty expensive (>$150). Also, are there any other fees we need to cover? Since my employment is coming to an end, I am in a budgeting crunch before disbursement day. If any current students can help, I would appreciate it! Thanks

Okay, so I'm trying to get a handle on all the fees and stuff I'll need to pay during this initial paperwork phase: So far I know accepted students need to cover the background check fee, white coat, and immunizations. Do we also need to cover the cost of the Urinalysis/Hair follicle drug screen during orientation week too? I know from one of my past jobs the hair test was pretty expensive (>$150). Also, are there any other fees we need to cover? Since my employment is coming to an end, I am in a budgeting crunch before disbursement day. If any current students can help, I would appreciate it! Thanks
I don't remember reading anything about any drug testing?

I'm just another incoming student, but I believe the only other fee is $150 for Disorientation, if you choose to attend. Also, I'm guessing the drug test will be something we can pay for with the "miscellaneous" part of the loans we take out, since it happens during the first week/once school has officially started.

Meaning they turned the wait list into a reject list due to their concerns about funding.

Hold up...

I understand a lot of you guys have acceptances into other texas schools but would rather go to TAMU, in which case an acceptance letter after June 1st from TAMU won't help you. That's pretty frustrating for sure.

I'm a WL'ed OOS applicant and TAMU is my number one school at this point. Mostly it's the great finances and that my wife is obsessed with all things TX.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but the WL of around 60 (or 1/3 of the original class size of 200, see above) will be much smaller when acceptances off the WL are finally offered. If they increase the class size from 150 to 200, wouldn't that be an almost automatic acceptance for those who aren't accepted at a texas medical school?

My second theory is that the WL for OOSers moves more because we don't have the efficiency of a match system to limit the acceptances we receive. Do you guys agree?

Hold up...

I understand a lot of you guys have acceptances into other texas schools but would rather go to TAMU, in which case an acceptance letter after June 1st from TAMU won't help you. That's pretty frustrating for sure.

I'm a WL'ed OOS applicant and TAMU is my number one school at this point. Mostly it's the great finances and that my wife is obsessed with all things TX.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but the WL of around 60 (or 1/3 of the original class size of 200, see above) will be much smaller when acceptances off the WL are finally offered. If they increase the class size from 150 to 200, wouldn't that be an almost automatic acceptance for those who aren't accepted at a texas medical school?

My second theory is that the WL for OOSers moves more because we don't have the efficiency of a match system to limit the acceptances we receive. Do you guys agree?
Unfortunately the new dean has said she wants to trim the class size for this year to 150.
"... In the years past, your position on the alternate list for the Texas A&M College of Medicine would be associated with a high likelihood of joining the 2021 class. Unfortunately, because of the proposed budget cuts, we are forced to suspend offers of class placements to those on our alternate list at this time. If adequate funding levels are restored to the College of Medicine, we may be able to offer placement to those on the alternate list in the future. However, any offers are unlikely to occur before June 2017." This statement was issued at the time she announced the Wait List was suspended, and also sent as a letter to all A&M applicants.
A&M is the only Texas medical school to take these drastic steps due to budget concerns and I suspect (my opinion here, not fact) that since the dean is very new either she over-reacted, or A&M's budget is not in as good a balance as other medical schools.

In my experience, new Deans tend to be very cautious at first.

Unfortunately the new dean has said she wants to trim the class size for this year to 150.
"... In the years past, your position on the alternate list for the Texas A&M College of Medicine would be associated with a high likelihood of joining the 2021 class. Unfortunately, because of the proposed budget cuts, we are forced to suspend offers of class placements to those on our alternate list at this time. If adequate funding levels are restored to the College of Medicine, we may be able to offer placement to those on the alternate list in the future. However, any offers are unlikely to occur before June 2017." This statement was issued at the time she announced the Wait List was suspended, and also sent as a letter to all A&M applicants.
A&M is the only Texas medical school to take these drastic steps due to budget concerns and I suspect (my opinion here, not fact) that since the dean is very new either she over-reacted, or A&M's budget is not in as good a balance as other medical schools.

Hold up...

Your argument would make sense if they end up with adequate funding and the enrollment cuts really were due to (as the letter stated) a perceived lack of funding. On the other hand, the whole blaming the funding tactic could just be a scapegoat for their own internal budgeting issues. Best to wait until June 1 and see where their true intentions lie.

Are any current alternates already starting a new application to A&M for this cycle? I obviously plan on reapplying if I do not get off the waitlist. I just worry that IF they decide to re-enlist the waitlist, I'll lose my opportunity because my application has reentered consideration. I would love to hear from a current student who was waitlisted in the past about whether or not they reapplied, and when.

Are any current alternates already starting a new application to A&M for this cycle? I obviously plan on reapplying if I do not get off the waitlist. I just worry that IF they decide to re-enlist the waitlist, I'll lose my opportunity because my application has reentered consideration. I would love to hear from a current student who was waitlisted in the past about whether or not they reapplied, and when.
You can reapply through TMDSAS even while on the waitlist at TAMHSC. If you happen to secure an acceptance from the waitlist you can withdraw your application and get a full refund from TMDSAS. You won't lose any opportunity by reapplying while on the waitlist.

You can reapply through TMDSAS even while on the waitlist at TAMHSC. If you happen to secure an acceptance from the waitlist you can withdraw your application and get a full refund from TMDSAS. You won't lose any opportunity by reapplying while on the waitlist.

Thanks for your input! I appreciate it. Now to tackle to the mountain of reapplying!

Go with the assumption that no one will be accepted off the waitlist this cycle. The class size hasn't reduced to 150 (as of yet) and despite the posts on here claiming that our funding has increased, that is not the case. The medical school budget is still being cut by about 10 million. I would be surprised to see any future waitlist movement. But for those that were on the waitlist you should absolutely communicate with the admissions department. Call them when you submit your application and secondary, tell them you were on the suspended waitlist and that you are reapplying. While it wont guarantee anything, but it will show that you are interested and they will probably pay attention to your application.

I can tell many of you are still confused about where the budget is currently at, so I will try to summarize quickly with some numbers:
2017 PASSED budget (from last legislative session) Total Method of Financing $149,418,672 (For reference)
This Legislative Session:
2018 Proposed Budget in January 2017 by Senate (Sb 1) Total Method of Financing $135,496,056 (the number that made everyone freak out)
After this proposal, the budget went to Senate Committee for Revisions
2018 REVISED Budget in March 2017 by Senate (CSSb 1) Total Method of Financing $158,693,601
After this revised version passed the Senate, the bill went to the House:
2018 Proposed Budget in January 2017 by House (Hb 1) Total Method of Financing $162,247,562
By March, there was a Revised Senate budget and an introduced House bill, the house then took both into consideration in their committee
2018 REVISED Budget in late March 2017 by House to (CSSb1) Total Method of Financing $159,901,163
This revised version has just passed the House, although there were amendments made that have not been released yet that may or may not affect the number above (most likely didn't)

So that's a lot of numbers, but look at the numbers in BOLD. As of today, the House and the Senate have two versions of the bill that have passed their chambers. Both bills show an increase of approximately ~10 Million Dollars to the Texas A&M Health Science Center compared to last year. So what's next?

The Senate and House will each nominate a few members to go into Conference Committee. This committee works out the differences between the two bills until they can come to an agreement, which doesn't usually happen until the end of May. The process involves a lot of moving parts and almost anything can happen. That being said, both chambers have already shown an interest in retaining/increasing funds to higher medical education.

My thoughts: Texas A&M Health Science Center has very little incentive to make any decisions until the bill comes out of the Conference Committee and they know exactly what the final budget will be. Although, the two chambers are very close in their appropriation to Texas A&M Health Science Center specifically, which indicates that an increase of budgetary funds are likely to stay there. Overall, it looks really good but can't count your chickens before they hatch. Hope this summary helped clear some confusion!
I know there are still a few weeks left before everything is finalized but do you have any updates regarding where the funding bill currently stands?

I don't think there is an increase in overall funding to A&M's medical program due to the proposed cuts in special item funding. Overall, the harsher numbers (from the Senate, not the House) proposal for funding going toward TAMHSC medical program (medical education funding + graduate medical education funding + special item funding for medical education) add up to be about $2-$5 million less for the upcoming biennium than the previous biennium. There's a lot more funding to the Health Science Center than exclusively for medical education, if that wasn't clear. That being said, one would assume that these were the types of cuts A&M was expecting when they informed the incoming class of 2021 on interview day that they are only going to have 180 seats open this year, instead of the usual 200.

But I'm all for not assuming anything these days and just going with the flow and seeing whatever happens by June 1st.

Also FYI I have 0 idea if that formula is representative of what medical education funding boils down to, but those were the items on the Senate bill that made sense to me for what goes into the College of Medicine's considerations for getting a pulse on the amount of funds they expect to have.

Although I've already gone ahead and reapplied, anyone hear any news regarding A&M making a decision soon? Or are most people waiting until June 1st?

Although I've already gone ahead and reapplied, anyone hear any news regarding A&M making a decision soon? Or are most people waiting until June 1st?

All rumors I've heard point to no movement from the wait list this year. You made the right move: don't wait up on A&Ms wait list, go ahead and reapply.

I just forfeited my seat at Texas A&M. I hope that seat can go to another deserving student! Best of luck everyone.

I just forfeited my seat at Texas A&M. I hope that seat can go to another deserving student! Best of luck everyone.
Congrats! But Lol unless you were number 150 and now the class size is 149, I don't think anybody is getting that spot.

I guess it's safe to assume that there's gonna be no movement at TAMU this year off the waitlist :( I bet the email/letter that will (probably) be sent in June will reflect the same.

I guess it's safe to assume that there's gonna be no movement at TAMU this year off the waitlist :( I bet the email/letter that will (probably) be sent in June will reflect the same.
I wouldn't assume anything until at least June 1. That's when the letter stated it'd open back up if they choose to do so.

I wouldn't assume anything until at least June 1. That's when the letter stated it'd open back up if they choose to do so.
I called the other day and whoever picked up said that there will be no waitlist offers this year.

Can someone else please confirm that?

I called the other day and whoever picked up said that there will be no waitlist offers this year.

Can someone else please confirm that?
They have been saying this for quite a while and their class size is probably bigger right now than they want

By a rough count of current versus incoming students on the 2021 class FB page, it looks like the incoming class size is still just slightly over 200. But some current students didn't label themselves as associated with the med school so there are probably slightly more current students/slightly fewer incoming students than that approximate 200.

By a rough count of current versus incoming students on the 2021 class FB page, it looks like the incoming class size is still just slightly over 200. But some current students didn't label themselves as associated with the med school so there are probably slightly more current students/slightly fewer incoming students than that approximate 200.
But how can the incoming class be close to 200? If anything it should be lesser than 180, since that was designated as the class size.

But how can the incoming class be close to 200? If anything it should be lesser than 180, since that was designated as the class size.
Facebook page member number is a poor indicator of class size, because members from prior year classes stay on there as advisors. A&M at first aimed for a class size of 180 but later said they would like that number closer to 150 this year. I have no facts about the actual number who have accepted offers right now.

Facebook page member number is a poor indicator of class size, because members from prior year classes stay on there as advisors. A&M at first aimed for a class size of 180 but later said they would like that number closer to 150 this year. I have no facts about the actual number who have accepted offers right now.
Could someone call and ask about the current class size? I'm sure it's gone down. I called and can't seem to get a straight answer.

As I mentioned, the 200 was just a rough count I made based on the number of people in the FB group minus the number of people who have TAMHSC/College of Medicine/some variation of that as part of their profile. There were also ~10 people who do not have the school affiliation on their profile, but it is clear they are students based on their profile picture.

As far as the intended class size, it is possible that 200 were matched with the intention of having waitlist movement get that number down to 180 (or 150 now that the waitlist has been suspended). It seems Texas Tech also matched a number larger than their class size, so I think the perception that the TMDSAS match only fills the class size may be inaccurate. It does seem that schools are allowed to match slightly more than their intended class sizes.

I'm providing this info in an attempt to decrease anxiety by providing applicants waiting for information with as much information as possible. I am the type of person who prefers having as much info as possible, even if it points to the worst case scenario. If this is just making people have more anxiety, I can edit my posts and refrain from adding any additional info. Adding to your anxiety is the last thing I want to do.

I'm providing this info in an attempt to decrease anxiety by providing applicants waiting for information with as much information as possible. I am the type of person who prefers having as much info as possible, even if it points to the worst case scenario. If this is just making people have more anxiety, I can edit my posts and refrain from adding any additional info. Adding to your anxiety is the last thing I want to do.

The information was really helpful! Thanks for letting us know