2016-2017 The Commonwealth Medical College Application Thread

Started by WedgeDawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm holding out hope for some of us! It seemed like there was at least a little bit of movement on the waitlist last year at least in early May. Best of luck to everyone.
 
  • Like
Reactions: brb
Does anyone know if in previous years TCMC has deferred interviewees up until this time and then rejected instead of alternate list them?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How was accepted day? How many accepted students were there? Did they mention anything important regarding this season's stats (interview/acceptances ratio, #)?
 
How was accepted day? How many accepted students were there? Did they mention anything important regarding this season's stats (interview/acceptances ratio, #)?

I enjoyed accepted students day. There were probably between 70-100 students there although it was hard to tell because some brought a parent or both parents. The auditorium was pretty full. There were no stats mentioned. Most of the presentations were about the benefits of the Geisinger integration and the successes of past students.
 
Relatively enjoyable, close to 100 students, and they said they interviewed ~9000 people
They gave out some free stuff (padfolios, USB drives, pens, battery packs) which was cool
The USB drive had some info about match lists, budgeting and other stuff

Sorry, did they say they interviewed ~900 or received ~9000 applications?

Interviewing ~9000 doesn't seem right...
 
Okay thanks. I think they typically interview ~1000, maybe someone else can confirm this or give a better estimate... Could have been more or less this year

Sent from my VS990 using SDN mobile

I don't have the exact numbers from last year, but it was something close to 7000 applicants, and interviewed slightly over 700 of them, and offered 160 spots for a class of 110. The number of seats offered is the stat I'm most unsure about. If i can dig up the exact numbers I'll edit this.

Also for those wondering about wait list movement. Some does happen.

I know at least two people in the class who received offers in the middle of July. I'm not saying this to get anyone's hope up, but just as a heads up.
 
Last edited:
I don't have the exact numbers from last year, but it was something close to 7000 applicants, and interviewed slightly over 700 of them, and offered 160 spots for a class of 110. The number of seats offered is the stat I'm most unsure about. If i can dig up the exact numbers I'll edit this.

Also for those wondering about wait list movement. Some does happen.

I know at least two people in the class who received offers in the middle of July. I'm not saying this to get anyone's hope up, but just as a heads up.
Now I understand why people treat the alternate list like a death sentence... 160 for 110 is a very small ratio. I thought most places accepted 2-3x the number of seats
 
To those of you hanging on the alternate list, I know 2 people who are currently accepted that will not be entering the class of 2021 at GCSOM. There is hope!
I also know 1 person who will not be attending, wondering if they are the same person...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
"Your waitlist status at Geisinger Commonwealth" email heading is just flat out playing w my feelings. Open and find you can do a masters program... cool [emoji41][emoji849]


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I read last year's thread and saw they pulled that. One person thought they were accepted off the wait list when they read, 'Congratulations'. 😕
That's rough buddy...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am on the alternate list and I didn't get that email either... confused as well.
At least I'm not the only one!

I think I remember something on the secondary or responding to the interview about their MBS and I don't think I expressed interest in it... maybe that's why?

I hope it's not because we are so far down the list that we weren't even considered for the MBS... but if that were the case I think we would be rejected and not alternate listed.