You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2016-2017 The Commonwealth Medical College Application Thread
Started by WedgeDawg
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I have recently read somewhere that the deferred list is prioritized. Anyone else heard this?
Also if you look at their online academic calendar the last interview day was February 24th. Does this mean that their interview cycle is over and anyone who has been deferred is now moved to the waitlist?😕
Also if you look at their online academic calendar the last interview day was February 24th. Does this mean that their interview cycle is over and anyone who has been deferred is now moved to the waitlist?😕
Last edited:
I have recently read somewhere that the deferred list is prioritized. Anyone else heard this?
Also if you look at their online academic calendar the last interview day was February 24th. Does this mean that their interview cycle is over and anyone who has been deferred is now moved to the waitlist?😕
From their website:
April
- Accepted Students Day
- Deadline for accepted students to hold at multiple schools (pretty sure this is traffic day which is April 30)
- Notifications for regular decision applicants and update on deferred status (looks like this is when they decide on who becomes waitlisted off of the deferred list)
- Geisinger Commonwealth will consult its alternate list as needed. Students can be called from this list up until the first day of orientation
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
.
Last edited:
I've been deferred since October.... 🙁Yo I got deferred on 2/2 and haven't heard back. This wait is killing me.
Damn, I feel for you homie.I've been deferred since October.... 🙁
+1I've been deferred since October.... 🙁
.
Last edited:
Interviewed here 2/17. I went back to previous TCMC threads and looked for people who interviewed in mid-late Feb and couldn't find many acceptances. Does anyone have any insight on this? I feel like I am just worrying myself but I also like to give myself a realistic outlook regarding whats to come.
Interviewed here 2/17. I went back to previous TCMC threads and looked for people who interviewed in mid-late Feb and couldn't find many acceptances. Does anyone have any insight on this? I feel like I am just worrying myself but I also like to give myself a realistic outlook regarding whats to come.
I interviewed 2/1 and have been defered
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Last year I heard back that I was put on the wait list at the end of March.Does anyone know the time frame for deferred applicants to hear back with their decisions. I've been deferred since Feb.
Did you end up getting rejected?Last year I heard back that I was put on the wait list at the end of March.
That's what I figured, most likely gonna end up with a WL.Last year I heard back that I was put on the wait list at the end of March.
Yeah, I ended up not getting off the waitlist, which you don't hear until orientation starts. They also don't give you any information about your position on the waitlist or anything like that. Last year I was also deferred in October, and didn't hear anything from them until I was told I was waitlisted.Did you end up getting rejected?
Does anyone get rejected after interviewing ?
Does anyone get rejected after interviewing ?
Yeah I think so
Yeah, the first time I applied, I interviewed in January and was rejected after 6 weeks.Does anyone get rejected after interviewing ?
Hey all, current 4th year here. Just wanted to share this year's Match list. I'm extremely proud of my class; we had some great matches! Most of my friends (and myself) matched at our first choices. There were 88 of us total, but some were former Class of 2016 who took a research year. Only 3 to my knowledge did not match and SOAPed. Anyway, here's the (unofficial) list. I didn't include prelims for those who matched to advanced positions.
Anesthesia (2)
Beth Israel Deaconess
Penn State
Derm (1)
Brigham and Women's
Radiology (5)
Indiana U.
Hofstra SOM
Pennsylvania Hospital
San Antonio (mil)
Penn State
EM (9)
Conemaugh
St. Luke's Bethlehem
Duke
York
Geisinger
U. Rochester
Cooper
St. Joseph's NJ
West Virginia SOM
ENT (2)
Jefferson
SIU SOM
FM (6)
Abington Memorial
UPMC Altoona
Stony Brook
Hunterdon
York (2)
Gen Surg (5)
U. Maryland
Lehigh Valley
Geisinger
U. Texas San Antonio
U. Florida COM Jacksonville
IM (18)
Brown (2)
Lehigh Valley
Jefferson
Cooper
Dartmouth
Temple
Kaiser Permanente
U. Cincinnati
U. Maryland
San Antonio (mil)
West Virginia SOM
Madigan Army (mil)
Mercy Catholic
Winthrop U.
Penn State
Med Peds (1)
Penn State
Neuro (4)
Jefferson
U. Florida
Georgetown
Johns Hopkins
OB/GYN (10)
Christiana
York
Abington Memorial
Jamaica Hospital NY
Hofstra SOM
Boston U.
West Virginia SOM
U. Kansas SOM
U. Rochester
Geisinger
Ortho (2)
U. Buffalo SOM
Walter Reed (mil)
Path (1)
U. Maryland
Peds (9)
NYP Weill Cornell (2)
Greenville USC
Tripler Army Medical (mil)
Rutgers RWJ
Penn State
St. Chris PA
Lehigh Valley
NEOMED
PM&R (1)
Sinai Hospital
Plastic Surgery (1)
U Kansas SOM
Prelim Surg (2)
Guthrie Robert Packer
SUNY Upstate
Psych (6)
Rutgers RWJ
MUSC
Wright Patterson Medical Center (mil)
Wright Center
Icahn SOM Beth Israel
Dartmouth
Rad Onc (1)
Tufts
Uro (1)
Geisinger
Anesthesia (2)
Beth Israel Deaconess
Penn State
Derm (1)
Brigham and Women's
Radiology (5)
Indiana U.
Hofstra SOM
Pennsylvania Hospital
San Antonio (mil)
Penn State
EM (9)
Conemaugh
St. Luke's Bethlehem
Duke
York
Geisinger
U. Rochester
Cooper
St. Joseph's NJ
West Virginia SOM
ENT (2)
Jefferson
SIU SOM
FM (6)
Abington Memorial
UPMC Altoona
Stony Brook
Hunterdon
York (2)
Gen Surg (5)
U. Maryland
Lehigh Valley
Geisinger
U. Texas San Antonio
U. Florida COM Jacksonville
IM (18)
Brown (2)
Lehigh Valley
Jefferson
Cooper
Dartmouth
Temple
Kaiser Permanente
U. Cincinnati
U. Maryland
San Antonio (mil)
West Virginia SOM
Madigan Army (mil)
Mercy Catholic
Winthrop U.
Penn State
Med Peds (1)
Penn State
Neuro (4)
Jefferson
U. Florida
Georgetown
Johns Hopkins
OB/GYN (10)
Christiana
York
Abington Memorial
Jamaica Hospital NY
Hofstra SOM
Boston U.
West Virginia SOM
U. Kansas SOM
U. Rochester
Geisinger
Ortho (2)
U. Buffalo SOM
Walter Reed (mil)
Path (1)
U. Maryland
Peds (9)
NYP Weill Cornell (2)
Greenville USC
Tripler Army Medical (mil)
Rutgers RWJ
Penn State
St. Chris PA
Lehigh Valley
NEOMED
PM&R (1)
Sinai Hospital
Plastic Surgery (1)
U Kansas SOM
Prelim Surg (2)
Guthrie Robert Packer
SUNY Upstate
Psych (6)
Rutgers RWJ
MUSC
Wright Patterson Medical Center (mil)
Wright Center
Icahn SOM Beth Israel
Dartmouth
Rad Onc (1)
Tufts
Uro (1)
Geisinger
Hey all, current 4th year here. Just wanted to share this year's Match list. I'm extremely proud of my class; we had some great matches! Most of my friends (and myself) matched at our first choices.....
Congratulations on getting your 1'st preference.
Thanks for sharing the encouraging news.
Is there any ranking used for different programs (USNews or some thing similar) ? How do you figure the relative desirability of different programs ?
.
Last edited:
I'm not, but I'm also from Scranton if that makes a difference.Is anyone planning on bringing a parent to the accepted students day?
I tried to reply to the above post asking about how to rank programs, but it clearly the reply function didn't work...
Short answer: it's really hard.
Objective rankings like Doximity aren't great, and even if there was a good ranking system it wouldn't capture the whole story. For example, I interviewed at "higher ranked" academic programs but chose my #1 due to overall fit, location, resident happiness, and good curriculum. Location in particular becomes really important especially if you're married or in a long-term relationship. So program desirability varies from person to person and is based on what you're looking for in a program.
I wouldn't worry too much about this at your level though. You'll figure it out based on your career goals and with the help of physician preceptors, forums like this, etc.
I tried to reply to the above post asking about how to rank programs, but it clearly the reply function didn't work...
Thanks for your reply!
Interesting!
I'm bringing my mom! She has been my rock through this whole thing. She should get second author on my acceptances or something. She proofread everything before I sent it outIs anyone planning on bringing a parent to the accepted students day?
.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
+1, still holding out some hopeAlternate list this morning. Pretty bummed. 🙁
ugh interviewed in November, deferred in January... still waiting...
+1 interviewed January, deferred in February and patiently waiting on a status change. Feeling the pain a little more each day.ugh interviewed in November, deferred in January... still waiting...
Yeah why are some people acting like alternate list is equivalent to a death sentence?
Do they just keep a long alternate list so low % chance? Or do most people hold acceptances?
I wouldn't go that far and worry just yet. You have a higher chance of getting wait-listed than rejected. I'm in the same boat and I just want some closure haha!If we didn't get an alternate list status after being deferred, does that mean rejection? I'm assuming the class is full now, which is why the alternate list is being formed...but I really hope not!
Yeah why are some people acting like alternate list is equivalent to a death sentence?
Do they just keep a long alternate list so low % chance? Or do most people hold acceptances?
I'm wondering this too, I'm guilty of treating it like a death sentence but I'm not sure if it really is one.
If you check last year's thread, the alt list movement was minimal if at all. Although it was the 1st year they increased the class size to a 100, this year it seems that a lot of SDN people are withdrawing their acceptance.
Does anyone know the number of people on the waitlist ? Will TCMC release that number ?
Interviewed in October, deferred in December. Didn't receive the waitlist notification today. Not sure if I should take this as a bad sign...
They probably just did not get to every file .Interviewed in October, deferred in December. Didn't receive the waitlist notification today. Not sure if I should take this as a bad sign...
Interviewed end of Feb, no deferral, straight to alternate list. Makes me think I was interviewing for the waitlist all along.....ah well, best of luck to all y'all hopefully there's movement in the cards.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah I don't know if they just haven't gotten to me or if it signifies the worst...I feel like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop any moment now!! AHHHHInterviewed Dec 5th, deferred Feb 2nd and I have yet to hear back. I'm expecting the worst.
.
Last edited:
I feel the same. It seems that typically they've sent acceptances on Thursday. But seems like nobody got one so far (at least from SDN)Yeah I don't know if they just haven't gotten to me or if it signifies the worst...I feel like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop any moment now!! AHHHH
lol alternate list just now. Interviewed Nov, Deferred January.