2016-2017 The Commonwealth Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey, is there a facebook page for accepted students for the class of 2021?

Members don't see this ad.

I have recently read somewhere that the deferred list is prioritized. Anyone else heard this?

Also if you look at their online academic calendar the last interview day was February 24th. Does this mean that their interview cycle is over and anyone who has been deferred is now moved to the waitlist?:confused:

Last edited:
I have recently read somewhere that the deferred list is prioritized. Anyone else heard this?

Also if you look at their online academic calendar the last interview day was February 24th. Does this mean that their interview cycle is over and anyone who has been deferred is now moved to the waitlist?:confused:

From their website:
April

• Accepted Students Day
  • Deadline for accepted students to hold at multiple schools (pretty sure this is traffic day which is April 30)
  • Notifications for regular decision applicants and update on deferred status (looks like this is when they decide on who becomes waitlisted off of the deferred list)
May
  • Geisinger Commonwealth will consult its alternate list as needed. Students can be called from this list up until the first day of orientation

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if parents are encouraged to come to Accepted Students?

Yo I got deferred on 2/2 and haven't heard back. This wait is killing me.

Interviewed here 2/17. I went back to previous TCMC threads and looked for people who interviewed in mid-late Feb and couldn't find many acceptances. Does anyone have any insight on this? I feel like I am just worrying myself but I also like to give myself a realistic outlook regarding whats to come.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed here 2/17. I went back to previous TCMC threads and looked for people who interviewed in mid-late Feb and couldn't find many acceptances. Does anyone have any insight on this? I feel like I am just worrying myself but I also like to give myself a realistic outlook regarding whats to come.

I interviewed 2/1 and have been defered

Does anyone know the time frame for deferred applicants to hear back with their decisions. I've been deferred since Feb.

Does anyone know the time frame for deferred applicants to hear back with their decisions. I've been deferred since Feb.
Last year I heard back that I was put on the wait list at the end of March.

Last year I heard back that I was put on the wait list at the end of March.
That's what I figured, most likely gonna end up with a WL.

Did you end up getting rejected?
Yeah, I ended up not getting off the waitlist, which you don't hear until orientation starts. They also don't give you any information about your position on the waitlist or anything like that. Last year I was also deferred in October, and didn't hear anything from them until I was told I was waitlisted.

Hey all, current 4th year here. Just wanted to share this year's Match list. I'm extremely proud of my class; we had some great matches! Most of my friends (and myself) matched at our first choices. There were 88 of us total, but some were former Class of 2016 who took a research year. Only 3 to my knowledge did not match and SOAPed. Anyway, here's the (unofficial) list. I didn't include prelims for those who matched to advanced positions.

Anesthesia (2)
Beth Israel Deaconess
Penn State

Derm (1)
Brigham and Women's

Radiology (5)
Indiana U.
Hofstra SOM
Pennsylvania Hospital
San Antonio (mil)
Penn State

EM (9)
Conemaugh
St. Luke's Bethlehem
Duke
York
Geisinger
U. Rochester
Cooper
St. Joseph's NJ
West Virginia SOM

ENT (2)
Jefferson
SIU SOM

FM (6)
Abington Memorial
UPMC Altoona
Stony Brook
Hunterdon
York (2)

Gen Surg (5)
U. Maryland
Lehigh Valley
Geisinger
U. Texas San Antonio
U. Florida COM Jacksonville

IM (18)
Brown (2)
Lehigh Valley
Jefferson
Cooper
Dartmouth
Temple
Kaiser Permanente
U. Cincinnati
U. Maryland
San Antonio (mil)
West Virginia SOM
Madigan Army (mil)
Mercy Catholic
Winthrop U.
Penn State

Med Peds (1)
Penn State

Neuro (4)
Jefferson
U. Florida
Georgetown
Johns Hopkins

OB/GYN (10)
Christiana
York
Abington Memorial
Jamaica Hospital NY
Hofstra SOM
Boston U.
West Virginia SOM
U. Kansas SOM
U. Rochester
Geisinger

Ortho (2)
U. Buffalo SOM
Walter Reed (mil)

Path (1)
U. Maryland

Peds (9)
NYP Weill Cornell (2)
Greenville USC
Tripler Army Medical (mil)
Rutgers RWJ
Penn State
St. Chris PA
Lehigh Valley
NEOMED

PM&R (1)
Sinai Hospital

Plastic Surgery (1)
U Kansas SOM

Prelim Surg (2)
Guthrie Robert Packer
SUNY Upstate

Psych (6)
Rutgers RWJ
MUSC
Wright Patterson Medical Center (mil)
Wright Center
Icahn SOM Beth Israel
Dartmouth

Rad Onc (1)
Tufts

Uro (1)
Geisinger

Reactions: 7 users
Hey all, current 4th year here. Just wanted to share this year's Match list. I'm extremely proud of my class; we had some great matches! Most of my friends (and myself) matched at our first choices.....

Congratulations on getting your 1'st preference.
Thanks for sharing the encouraging news.

Is there any ranking used for different programs (USNews or some thing similar) ? How do you figure the relative desirability of different programs ?

I tried to reply to the above post asking about how to rank programs, but it clearly the reply function didn't work...

Short answer: it's really hard.

Objective rankings like Doximity aren't great, and even if there was a good ranking system it wouldn't capture the whole story. For example, I interviewed at "higher ranked" academic programs but chose my #1 due to overall fit, location, resident happiness, and good curriculum. Location in particular becomes really important especially if you're married or in a long-term relationship. So program desirability varies from person to person and is based on what you're looking for in a program.

I wouldn't worry too much about this at your level though. You'll figure it out based on your career goals and with the help of physician preceptors, forums like this, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone planning on bringing a parent to the accepted students day?
I'm bringing my mom! She has been my rock through this whole thing. She should get second author on my acceptances or something. She proofread everything before I sent it out

Reactions: 1 users
ugh interviewed in November, deferred in January... still waiting...
+1 interviewed January, deferred in February and patiently waiting on a status change. Feeling the pain a little more each day.

If we didn't get an alternate list status after being deferred, does that mean rejection? I'm assuming the class is full now, which is why the alternate list is being formed...but I really hope not!

Any idea what movement is like on the alternate list?

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Yeah why are some people acting like alternate list is equivalent to a death sentence?

Do they just keep a long alternate list so low % chance? Or do most people hold acceptances?

If we didn't get an alternate list status after being deferred, does that mean rejection? I'm assuming the class is full now, which is why the alternate list is being formed...but I really hope not!
I wouldn't go that far and worry just yet. You have a higher chance of getting wait-listed than rejected. I'm in the same boat and I just want some closure haha!

Yeah why are some people acting like alternate list is equivalent to a death sentence?

Do they just keep a long alternate list so low % chance? Or do most people hold acceptances?

I'm wondering this too, I'm guilty of treating it like a death sentence but I'm not sure if it really is one.

Any idea what movement is like on the alternate list?

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile
If you check last year's thread, the alt list movement was minimal if at all. Although it was the 1st year they increased the class size to a 100, this year it seems that a lot of SDN people are withdrawing their acceptance.

Does anyone know the number of people on the waitlist ? Will TCMC release that number ?

Interviewed in October, deferred in December. Didn't receive the waitlist notification today. Not sure if I should take this as a bad sign...

Interviewed end of Feb, no deferral, straight to alternate list. Makes me think I was interviewing for the waitlist all along.....ah well, best of luck to all y'all hopefully there's movement in the cards.

Got placed on the alternate list :\ interviewed late november. lm 64

Interviewed Dec 5th, deferred Feb 2nd and I have yet to hear back. I'm expecting the worst.

Interviewed Dec 5th, deferred Feb 2nd and I have yet to hear back. I'm expecting the worst.
Yeah I don't know if they just haven't gotten to me or if it signifies the worst...I feel like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop any moment now!! AHHHH

Yeah I don't know if they just haven't gotten to me or if it signifies the worst...I feel like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop any moment now!! AHHHH
I feel the same. It seems that typically they've sent acceptances on Thursday. But seems like nobody got one so far (at least from SDN) :hungover::confused::(