2016-2017 The Commonwealth Medical College Application Thread

Started by WedgeDawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone heard anything yet? I was lurking on last year's thread and those that interviewed around 10/15 were hearing acceptances. I'm getting soooo impatient lol.
 
Congrats!
Any interview suggestions/experiences to share ?
Eat as many scones as you can get your hands on. They're delicious hahah. No but seriously I'd make sure to let them know you like the area and think it's a good fit for you. They want doctors who will stay in the area. I thought it was a pretty chill interview day so you'll be fine!
 
Eat as many scones as you can get your hands on. They're delicious hahah. No but seriously I'd make sure to let them know you like the area and think it's a good fit for you. They want doctors who will stay in the area. I thought it was a pretty chill interview day so you'll be fine!
I second the comment about the scones
 
I interviewed here last week and was really impressed. I went in thinking that I would hate the school but I actually really liked it. I am not keen on the location but the school itself is really nice. My interviewers, both faculty and student, were really nice and it was very conversational. Hoping to hear good news from here in a few weeks!
 
Last edited:
Eat as many scones as you can get your hands on. They're delicious hahah. No but seriously I'd make sure to let them know you like the area and think it's a good fit for you. They want doctors who will stay in the area. I thought it was a pretty chill interview day so you'll be fine!
haha .. I like Scones 🙂

Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Like others have said, the student one is super laid back and they tend to be more talkative/enthusiastic (obviously it depends on who you get) I personally had a faculty who was more reserved and harder to read. On top of that he had a very heavy accent and I had to ask him to repeat himself a couple of times. Just don't get phased if your in a similar situation where you're not getting feedback from a faculty. Its almost always their personal style/personality rather than something wrong with you.
Stay confident and be yourself!

My faculty interviewer was really sweet but really reserved. I couldn't tell if he enjoyed the conversation or not. I don't think he had much experience interviewing and he became exasperated in the middle of our interview and said something along the lines like"Oh gosh I'm doing terribly aren't I?!" I'm not sure what to think of my interview....I didn't feel too good after that. But the student interviewer was really friendly and conversational. Others said the same about both their student interviewer and faculty interviewer. Overall it was low stress and people were friendly!
 
Like others have said, the student one is super laid back and they tend to be more talkative/enthusiastic (obviously it depends on who you get) I personally had a faculty who was more reserved and harder to read. On top of that he had a very heavy accent and I had to ask him to repeat himself a couple of times. Just don't get phased if your in a similar situation where you're not getting feedback from a faculty. Its almost always their personal style/personality rather than something wrong with you.
Stay confident and be yourself!


I had the same interviewer and the same experience! The student interview was more relaxing. I just tried to be myself and enjoy the day.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Interviewing here next Friday! Jeez, I'm nervous already. Quick question to anyone that may know this, is the interview closed file, open, secondary and personal statement visible-only? Is that taboo to ask? Just wondering, thanks!
 
Little early, I know, but has anyone started looking at the breakdown for the cost of attendance here? $6000 a year for health insurance?! I've yet to see any other school anywhere near that amount...Am I completely misinformed or is this a totally outrageous amount? I realize most students will stay on their parent's insurance until 26, but I don't have that luxury.

https://tcmc.edu/students/financial-aid/cost-of-attendance/cost-of-attendance-md-program-year-1/

They offer a great PPO insurance plan. Depending on which plan you purchase, identified by deductible amount, the yearly cost is $4200 to $6200. You can get a waiver if you provide proof of your own insurance.

The page has a little more info. Scroll down about 2/3 of the way to see the plan costs, and click the links to see the breakdown of services.

https://tcmc.edu/students/student-health-services/student-health-and-disability-insurance/
 
Interviewing here next Friday! Jeez, I'm nervous already. Quick question to anyone that may know this, is the interview closed file, open, secondary and personal statement visible-only? Is that taboo to ask? Just wondering, thanks!

Not sure about the specifics although I'm relatively sure the student is just trying to see how you would fit in. No need to be nervous, everyone there was really nice and the interviews are pretty relaxed.
 
Little early, I know, but has anyone started looking at the breakdown for the cost of attendance here? $6000 a year for health insurance?! I've yet to see any other school anywhere near that amount...Am I completely misinformed or is this a totally outrageous amount? I realize most students will stay on their parent's insurance until 26, but I don't have that luxury./

It is built into the COA so the student loans do cover it. Also although nothing is even close to finalized most likely the health insurance will switch from Bluecross-shield to a Geisinger plan soon.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
MSAR said 355 OOS were interviewed and 24 matriculated
Extrapolated from there

That's bad statistics. It says MATRICULATED, not ACCEPTED. There's a big difference. Schools tend to offer about twice as many acceptances as they actually have seats, because people choose to go elsewhere.
 
I interviewed here yesterday and was really impressed. The building, being so young, was incredibly beautiful, clean, modern and immaculate. Everyone was incredibly kind and on the tour when you looked around all of the students genuinely looked happy. I would be honored to go to a school like this. Also, I stayed in the area and had some great food and it was inside an old cute theater... I feel like people exaggerate when I say there's nothing to do! Everywhere is what you make it
 
Last edited:
Oh and if it wasn't obvious from my previous post my faculty and student interviews were laid back and fair. They just want to see that you are knowledgeable of the school and of the healthcare system in northeastern Pennsylvania.
 
I interviewed here yesterday and was really impressed. The building, being so young, was incredibly beautiful, clean, modern and immaculate. Everyone was incredibly kind and on the tour when you looked around all of the students genuinely looked happy. I would be honored to go to a school like this. Also, I stayed in the area and had some great food and it was inside an old cute theater... I feel like people exaggerate when I say there's nothing to do! Everywhere is what you make it
Lol, oh no... not the kale and ginger. 😛
but agreed - Loved this school! Interview day isn't anything to stress about. Just be yourself and enjoy your time there! I learned so much about what the school has to offer, it's def. one of the better interview days i've attended 🙂
 
Lol, oh no... not the kale and ginger. 😛
but agreed - Loved this school! Interview day isn't anything to stress about. Just be yourself and enjoy your time there! I learned so much about what the school has to offer, it's def. one of the better interview days i've attended 🙂
Haha! Yes!!! I guess you know who I am!
 
If there is anyone interviewing on Friday and doesn't want to waste money on a taxi or uber from their hotel in the morning, feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to ride along with you, since I'll be driving to the interview.
 
Just thought I'd give my feedback, I liked the school a lot more than I thought I would. My student interviewer was great and laid back. My faculty interview was kinda unexpected because he gave me an ethical scenario and then kept building questions upon my answers and was very serious, but he was nice overall.
Good luck to everyone interviewing!


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad