2016-2017 University of California - Riverside Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For everyone still waiting for an II, what does it say on your portal under interview notes?
Not Scheduled yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It has been well over 3 months since my interview at Riverside and still no word. Do they send the notification through email or did I miss something on the portal? It just feels like it's been way too long. :(

Reactions: 1 user
It has been well over 3 months since my interview at Riverside and still no word. Do they send the notification through email or did I miss something on the portal? It just feels like it's been way too long. :(
Yes they send a personal e-mail with an acceptance letter. It is not via portal.

Accepted at UCR school of medicine today!!!

II - 12/3

Reactions: 7 users
Primary verified in early August
Secondary received mid September
Secondary sent late September
II received early November
Interview Early December
Acceptance today

This is my 3rd MD acceptance

Reactions: 2 users
Primary verified in early August
Secondary received mid September
Secondary sent late September
II received early November
Interview Early December
Acceptance today

This is my 3rd MD acceptance

Congrats! Were you a Haider applicant?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a proud UCR alumni

This is what I was afraid of, you all bring the same points that I've been thinking
Let me provide a little bit more background. I actually have not lived in Riverside my whole life just the last 3 years or so. I'm originally an immigrant from Nicaragua, came to this country at 13-14 yo without knowing English, and have lived mostly in LAX airport area since. I went to community college and then transferred to UCR so I could be eligible to the Haider program, didn't know I was going to be this successful in the application process. I moved my family (single parent and my two siblings) to Riveside due to lower cost of living (we are economically poor, so it's important to save as much money as possible)
Now the reality of my choice
For now I haven't been offered any type of financial support.
Instate tuition for UCR is ~38,000 but COL would be 0, because I could just stay at home.
OOS tuition UW is ~ 43,000 with additional COL that seems to be reasonable
OOS tuition UVM is ~ 60,000 with higher COL than WI for sure!

UVM is the most beautiful school and its medical center looks like a hotel on the outside

UWisc has been overall my fave school that I have interviewed so far, and I can see all the resources available! but definitely scared of the winter and trying to think if not being with my family will be beneficial or detrimental

UVM and UWisc are both well established programs with excellent match list, and UWisc is a top tier program

UCR - I wouldn't have to lift a finger, my outside of school setup is ready and the weather here is significantly better than the intense cold! Now UCR is a young program, as far as I know there is NO published match list out there because the class of 2017 is the first graduating class, so I'll be going blind in that sense. Economically at this point it is the smartest choice.

I don't know how I will eventually make my decision.

I also have interviewed at Albert Einstein but that decision isn't coming until February at the very least. Liked the school, but didn't like NYC in general.
I also have USC Keck's interview coming up, so we'll see what happens with that one.

Thank you all for your input, any additional would be appreciated.

This is what I was afraid of, you all bring the same points that I've been thinking
Let me provide a little bit more background. I actually have not lived in Riverside my whole life just the last 3 years or so. I'm originally an immigrant from Nicaragua, came to this country at 13-14 yo without knowing English, and have lived mostly in LAX airport area since. I went to community college and then transferred to UCR so I could be eligible to the Haider program, didn't know I was going to be this successful in the application process. I moved my family (single parent and my two siblings) to Riveside due to lower cost of living (we are economically poor, so it's important to save as much money as possible)
Now the reality of my choice
For now I haven't been offered any type of financial support.
Instate tuition for UCR is ~38,000 but COL would be 0, because I could just stay at home.
OOS tuition UW is ~ 43,000 with additional COL that seems to be reasonable
OOS tuition UVM is ~ 60,000 with higher COL than WI for sure!

UVM is the most beautiful school and its medical center looks like a hotel on the outside

UWisc has been overall my fave school that I have interviewed so far, and I can see all the resources available! but definitely scared of the winter and trying to think if not being with my family will be beneficial or detrimental

UVM and UWisc are both well established programs with excellent match list, and UWisc is a top tier program

UCR - I wouldn't have to lift a finger, my outside of school setup is ready and the weather here is significantly better than the intense cold! Now UCR is a young program, as far as I know there is NO published match list out there because the class of 2017 is the first graduating class, so I'll be going blind in that sense. Economically at this point it is the smartest choice.

I don't know how I will eventually make my decision.

I also have interviewed at Albert Einstein but that decision isn't coming until February at the very least. Liked the school, but didn't like NYC in general.
I also have USC Keck's interview coming up, so we'll see what happens with that one.

Thank you all for your input, any additional would be appreciated.
I'm sorry everyone, I posted in the wrong thread

Sort of a late post but I interviewed on Dec. 3 and got my acceptance on Dec. 19. I am super stoked for returning to my alma mater!!!!!! (I was one of the Haider applicants.)

Reactions: 3 users
All this alma mater love. When will it be my turn?

Reactions: 1 users
So it's been more than 3 months since my interview and I still haven't heard of a peep, do any of you think I should ask for an update or send a letter of intent? Would it be worth it?

Haider applicant, just received II! II are still trickling out!

Still wondering when they are going to reach out to applicants other than those in the Haider program....

Still wondering when they are going to reach out to applicants other than those in the Haider program....
Usually, the haider apllicants are sent an II relatively later in the application cycle. I know multiple people (non-Haider) who have either been accepted or have interviews scheduled. I feel like non-haider applicants are getting II but it's just not being mentioned on this thread. (This thread has been way quieter compared to last year's)

Usually, the haider apllicants are sent an II relatively later in the application cycle. I know multiple people (non-Haider) who have either been accepted or have interviews scheduled. I feel like non-haider applicants are getting II but it's just not being mentioned on this thread. (This thread has been way quieter compared to last year's)

Do you know when they were complete? On here, it seems like a lot of people who were complete September or later have not heard anything back unless they were Haider applicants.

Hey all,

Is there a hard requirement to have statistics as a pre-req? I took 2 semesters of calculus.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey all,

Is there a hard requirement to have statistics as a pre-req? I took 2 semesters of calculus.

I don't know if it's a hard requirement but according to the admissions website:

"Required Courses

Mathematics (12 quarter units) to include introductory calculus and statistics."

That being said while I didn't take a statistics class under the "Math" department I took a stats course offered by the econ department and still received an II, so they may just want to see stats exposure? Wish I could be of more help.

Sent from my Energy X 2 using SDN mobile

I don't know if it's a hard requirement but according to the admissions website:

"Required Courses

Mathematics (12 quarter units) to include introductory calculus and statistics."

That being said while I didn't take a statistics class under the "Math" department I took a stats course offered by the econ department and still received an II, so they may just want to see stats exposure? Wish I could be of more help.

Sent from my Energy X 2 using SDN mobile

Thanks for the input. I emailed them to see. I'd hate to take a stats course at some CC or something ;) lol

I'm in the same boat
Actually enrolled to a CC stats class for this coming Spring
I'll have to email too just to make sure

I think all other UCs removed the specific stats requirement. UCI used to have it. I'm hoping it's just the phrasing of the sentence.

anyone complete in september receive an II yet?

Does UCR accept pre II update letters?

Does UCR accept pre II update letters?

I sent in a pre II update letter to admissions and received a confirmation email afterwards, so I think it's okay.

II just now. CA resident. Complete late September/early October. LizzyM ~high 60s low 70s.

Interview dates are for late January and early February.

II just now! CA resident (San Diego), but no ties to the inland empire. Completed mid August. Lizzy ~70. Interview dates for Feb only.

I'm not sure about this year, but last year I interviewed on the last interview day which was the first weekend in March.
Does that mean interview invites would end around early feb?