2016-2017 University of Missouri - Columbia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted on Friday! Interviewed in mid October. Best of luck to everyone still on the list!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Question for those who interviewed: do they provide a space for you to leave your luggage during interview day?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
When I interviewed we could leave all of our things in the room where we had lunch. So I'm sure you can do the same. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know when financial aid packets go out? I can't remember if they said during our interview day (I assume it'll be after March 10)...

Members don't see this ad :)
So is the final decision for sure march 10th? I can call them on Monday but just thought I would run it past you all.

So nerve-wracking! I'm hoping for even top 1/3 waitlist because as I hear it that is just a delayed acceptance

Anyone know if our rank on the waitlist will be in the email or will we have to call to find out?

Does anyone know when financial aid packets go out? I can't remember if they said during our interview day (I assume it'll be after March 10)...

I'm working on my scholarship app right now. The email it came with said that financial aid award notices will start being prepared the week of April 17.

Anyone know if our rank on the waitlist will be in the email or will we have to call to find out?

They won't mention your rank if you are waitlisted. If you contact admissions though, they can tell you which third (top 1/3, middle 1/3, bottom 1/3) of the waitlist you are in. Historically the top 1/3 ends up getting admission invites.

I'm working on my scholarship app right now. The email it came with said that financial aid award notices will start being prepared the week of April 17.

They won't mention your rank if you are waitlisted. If you contact admissions though, they can tell you which third (top 1/3, middle 1/3, bottom 1/3) of the waitlist you are in. Historically the top 1/3 ends up getting admission invites.
Just got mine and am working on it, as well!

How many people are usually accepted/put on the waitlist if you're offered an interview? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

How exactly do those scholarship applicaitons work? I mean its only really a 300 word essay that they're basing it on?

Members don't see this ad :)
How exactly do those scholarship applicaitons work? I mean its only really a 300 word essay that they're basing it on?

I was assuming that they would also take your primary app, secondary app, and interview into account as well maybe, but who knows.

I called and they said statuses will take a little longer to get out. So, expect it to be closer to 11 or 12. They also said that there is the possibility that the computer system may crash (albeit unlikely) and if that is the case the statuses might not release until Monday. :whistle:

Reactions: 1 users
I called and they said statuses will take a little longer to get out. So, expect it to be closer to 11 or 12. They also said that there is the possibility that the computer system may crash (albeit unlikely) and if that is the case the statuses might not release until Monday. :whistle:

ImageUploadedBySDN1489026465.362811.jpg

ImageUploadedBySDN1489026488.857999.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
They still have interviews going on. I have a friend who has one tomorrow. So maybe they will decide by next week, presuming that tomorrow is the last interview date.

They still have interviews going on. I have a friend who has one tomorrow. So maybe they will decide by next week, presuming that tomorrow is the last interview date.

The class has to be filled by next Wednesday, so I suppose Tuesday is the latest day to wait.

Accepted earlier this evening. Interviewed 3/6. Good luck to everyone!

You interviewed at Mizzou three days ago and your in ALREADY? how did you find out?

This is their last week of interviewing and they told us the committee was meeting on Thursday so I think I just got lucky with the short wait due to a convenient committee meeting. One of my interviewers called me a few hours ago and then I got the emails right after!

This is their last week of interviewing and they told us the committee was meeting on Thursday so I think I just got lucky with the short wait due to a convenient committee meeting. One of my interviewers called me a few hours ago and then I got the emails right after!

Congrats! Did they mention how many seats were left to give out? It doesn't sound like many, if at all, to fill the class

Congrats! Did they mention how many seats were left to give out? It doesn't sound like many, if at all, to fill the class

ahh I do think they told us during the interview day but I don't remember exactly how many are left. They will take 128 for the class and will waitlist 128.

Just placed on the alternate list! Does anyone know roughly how many from each 1/3 are accepted? I responded to the email and asked which 1/3 I am in. Thanks!

Just placed on the alternate list! Does anyone know roughly how many from each 1/3 are accepted? I responded to the email and asked which 1/3 I am in. Thanks!

I've heard that historically the top 1/3 have faired well. As for the bottom 2/3, I have no idea but I wouldn't say it's promising. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out with a larger class size/new facilities.

Haven't gotten an email yet. Hope they aren't sending them by rank on the list .

I got alternate list and I am still waiting for the reply! last year they got to 84 out of 104 on the alternate list!

Middle third of the alternate list... Looks like I've got a long wait ahead of me!

Bottom third. . . at least I have a guaranteed interview for next year.

Withdrew my acceptance today. Hope one of you can get the spot!

Accepted this morning. Interviewed in December. I live in Columbia and love it here. The med school impressed me a lot when I interviewed. However, my SO doesn't have good job prospects in mid-Missouri so I will probably end up going elsewhere. Just wanted to share that for those were placed on the alternate list today. And I won't tarry until April 31 to make the decision.

Rejected post-II. Absolutely shell-shocked right now because I thought for sure I would at least end up on the alternate list.

This is what they told me at the interview, so as long as I am on the alt list and I reapply they will offer me an interview. Their reasoning was that if you were good enough to make it that far then you are definitely qualified. If you are uncertain about this give them a call :) Best of Luck

Rejected post-II. Absolutely shell-shocked right now because I thought for sure I would at least end up on the alternate list.
Same. I am a young applicant and graduated early, but I still thought I would at least make the alternate list. But congratulations to everyone who did get accepted or make the upper third of the alternate list!

Anyone looking for a place to live next year? :) I'm a current M1 and have a roommate spot available in Katy Place apartments (1700 Forum Blvd, just south of Stadium) for the coming school year. Apartment in top floor, 2-bed/2-bath, vaulted ceiling unit in complex along hiking/biking trail, close to hospital and campus, right next to shopping and amenities. Bed/bath are private, and environment is lovely and quiet for studying. Rent is ~$395 and includes washer/dryer. Carport rental also available. Prefer female med student or grad student, no pets. Move-in is flexible, anytime between June 1-Aug 1. PM me to set up an open house if interested.

Last edited:
Does anybody know how much people receive in scholarships to the medical school on average?

During the pre-interview financial talk, I believe they say the average student receives around $6500/year.
Thats awesome right? That's a decent amount of money...I'm not sure how much other medical schools give out...

According to MSAR, 91% of students at MU get some financial aid. Considering tuition is 30k IS, that 6k average is a good 20% off. Not too shabby!

MU also does an integrated residency program. Apply as a 3rd year for an MU residency and if you are selected they wave your 4th year tuition. I think there is also some tuition incentive for the rural track program but I can't find details on it now. I hope they talk about those at the second look day this Saturday!

Reactions: 2 users
According to MSAR, 91% of students at MU get some financial aid. Considering tuition is 30k IS, that 6k average is a good 20% off. Not too shabby!

MU also does an integrated residency program. Apply as a 3rd year for an MU residency and if you are selected they wave your 4th year tuition. I think there is also some tuition incentive for the rural track program but I can't find details on it now. I hope they talk about those at the second look day this Saturday!
I definitely wish I could some to second look but transportation costs would be aroun $500 for me so I decided that I couldn't do it. Looks really fun though! Please update us on anything you find if you could!

Reactions: 1 users
Can someone send me the OOS secondary? I will be applying next year.

Also, I used to live in Northeast Missouri, so I have some ties. If you've seen any documentaries about Russia, that's pretty much what life is like there.