2016-2017 University of Missouri - Columbia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II! Complete 8/31

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
II. This is the most exciting invite for me!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if Mizzou accepts/is receptive to letters of intent?

Does anyone have any helpful tips or advice for preparing for an interview here?

Does anyone have any helpful tips or advice for preparing for an interview here?
Be able to really explain what drives you to go into medicine. Don't say, "Because I love healing people; it's such a rewarding feeling." State specifically what exactly in healthcare you hope to contribute to, and what sort of unique perspective you think you can bring. Don't say something that's super popular like "I want to increase preventative healthcare", unless you have a really good, compelling story to elaborate on this point.

Be able to really explain what drives you to go into medicine. Don't say, "Because I love healing people; it's such a rewarding feeling." State specifically what exactly in healthcare you hope to contribute to, and what sort of unique perspective you think you can bring. Don't say something that's super popular like "I want to increase preventative healthcare", unless you have a really good, compelling story to elaborate on this point.
Thanks for the info!

MU has a couple of unique programs that you might want to look into, including the rural track program, the PBL curriculum, and the integrated residency program. Those were strong reasons for me applying and so I discussed them. See if they are something you might be interested in and let them know during the interview.

As noted above, definitely be able to articulate why you want to pursue medicine, how did you come to the decision, what do you hope to accomplish for your patients/community as a physician.

MU has a couple of unique programs that you might want to look into, including the rural track program, the PBL curriculum, and the integrated residency program. Those were strong reasons for me applying and so I discussed them. See if they are something you might be interested in and let them know during the interview.

As noted above, definitely be able to articulate why you want to pursue medicine, how did you come to the decision, what do you hope to accomplish for your patients/community as a physician.
Thanks for the help! I appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got accepted yesterday!! Interviewed Wed 14th. I'm so excited, the school is great :love:

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats!! Phone call or email?

My interviewer called me Thursday evening, then I got an email right after. The director of admissions said most decisions will come out Dec 22nd, though.

Second that; I just ended up getting an email for mine.

Ive been checking my email ALLL day... Nothing so far.

Status unchanged. Does anyone know about how many get accepted per month before March?

Accepted!

Complete mid August
Interviewed 12/1
Lizzy M 70.5

Anybody know when the status change email will go out for January? I interviewed the 19th and it seemed really promising, but I ended up as status unchanged. My LizzyM is a 68 due to the MCAT, which I will be retaking January 28th. However, if I got accepted before the test I am totally cancelling it and taking the acceptance. 7.5 hour tests are not what I want to be doing on a Saturday.

Last edited:
For those accepted - do you know if making the $100 deposit means we are committing to go to MU or if it is a means of just holding out spot in the incoming class and we can make our final decision later?

For those accepted - do you know if making the $100 deposit means we are committing to go to MU or if it is a means of just holding out spot in the incoming class and we can make our final decision later?
It's just to hold your spot. There is a date - I think April 30th - by which you should be holding only ONE acceptance but can still remain on waitlists at other schools.

Anybody know when the status change email will go out for January? I interviewed the 19th and it seemed really promising, but I ended up as status unchanged. My LizzyM is a 68 due to the MCAT, which I will be retaking January 28th. However, if I got accepted before the test I am totally cancelling it and taking the acceptance. 7.5 hour tests are not what I want to be doing on a Saturday.
I interviewed today, and I believe Ms. Alison Martin said Jan. decision come out the last Friday this month. So the 27th.

So I got a call from MU, but will call back Friday. I'm guessing it's an interview invitation based on people's comments here

I interviewed today, and I believe Ms. Alison Martin said Jan. decision come out the last Friday this month. So the 27th.
Thank you! haha if I got accepted before that mcat I would die of happiness.

Thank you! haha if I got accepted before that mcat I would die of happiness.
If I were to get accepted in general I'd die of happiness. I loved Mizzou.

Reactions: 2 users
If I were to get accepted in general I'd die of happiness. I loved Mizzou.
No kidding, I am not especially picky on where I go but their program was really impressive! Also, everyone was so friendly and I like the idea of PBL and minimal lectures!

OOS - New York City Native
Complete 11/15
Invited to Interview 1/5
Scheduled to Interview 1/25

So I interviewed here last week and it went from being somewhere in the middle of the pack for schools I was looking at to either #1 or 2. I was absolutely blown away by how friendly everyone was and how highly everyone spoke of the curriculum (PBL). I'm not going to say who the two board members that interviewed me were, for obvious anonymity reasons, but both of them were amazing and one of them was especially incredible. I can't wait for decisions to come out on the 27th because I am actually excited to potentially have the opportunity to go here now.

Also a note for future interviewers: If your two interview scores (each out of 25) have a difference of four or more, you will be offered a third interview on the spot with another board member. Therefore, I would budget another hour or so into your day in case you get offered the third interview.

So I interviewed here last week and it went from being somewhere in the middle of the pack for schools I was looking at to either #1 or 2. I was absolutely blown away by how friendly everyone was and how highly everyone spoke of the curriculum (PBL). I'm not going to say who the two board members that interviewed me were, for obvious anonymity reasons, but both of them were amazing and one of them was especially incredible. I can't wait for decisions to come out on the 27th because I am actually excited to potentially have the opportunity to go here now.

Also a note for future interviewers: If your two interview scores (each out of 25) have a difference of four or more, you will be offered a third interview on the spot with another board member. Therefore, I would budget another hour or so into your day in case you get offered the third interview.

They said that this rarely ever happens though. Congrats on having great interviews!

II via phone call this afternoon, IS, LizzyM ~70, application complete email on 7/26!

Of course, in my excitement, I rejected the call and had to call back... :confused:

.................ANNNNNNNNNNNNNND ACCEPTED!!!!! JUST FOUND OUT!!

On January 12th...found out the same day
That is amazing! Praise the Lord! I have yet to find out :/ but I am trying to be at peace with whatever their decision is. I interviewed December 19th so we will see! Would you mind sharing you stats? If you are not comfortable with that I completely understand! Have a blessed day, and congrats again!

That is amazing! Praise the Lord! I have yet to find out :/ but I am trying to be at peace with whatever their decision is. I interviewed December 19th so we will see! Would you mind sharing you stats? If you are not comfortable with that I completely understand! Have a blessed day, and congrats again!

Hey no problem! Overall gpa was 3.81 and mcat was a 505. not great numbers but I think they really liked my interview.... I'm crossing my fingers for you though!!

Hey no problem! Overall gpa was 3.81 and mcat was a 505. not great numbers but I think they really liked my interview.... I'm crossing my fingers for you though!!
Hey but you're accepted and honestly what you said is the best news I have heard all day because we have the same MCAT! I got a 505(#CARS haha) I have a solid GPA 3.98 but I don't think that matters as much as the interview at this point. Congrats again and maybe we will be classmates some day!