2016-2017 University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Another pre-II rejection, OOS, complete early-mid August.

Also my third in 24 hours, tis the season!

^^same to all that, except that last one...sorry and good luck fam!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
They email you and tell you a decision has been made, then direct you to the portal where a rejection is waiting
Dumb question, but is the site for the supplemental also the portal? I haven't been checking the portal since they said they'd email us.

Rejected pre-II OOS-ish (live in NC but its not my legal address) today, LizzyM ~78! Good luck to everyone else this cycle :)

Also rejected. Not unexpected though.

ACCEPTED!!! Just now via email. IS, UNC is my undergrad! Interviewed towards the end of October

Reactions: 6 users
Any evidence-based speculation as to the order in which they review applications?

Most people get a phone call. I was accepted Oct. 17. Letter came in the mail a week later.

I just received an acceptance today as well. No phone call - it was initially a nondescript email saying my application status had changed. Clicked the link in the email, and was brought to portal, where a virtual acceptance letter displayed.

In state, LizzyM ~70, non-trad, application completed end of July, interviewed last week of October.

Best of luck to everyone.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone with late February interviews have any success moving their interview date up?

Damn still crickets since interviewing late September sigh

It seems that there's been only 1 post-II rejection on here so far..

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Anyone know if we will hear back today? It is the first Tuesday of the month...

Anyone know if we will hear back today? It is the first Tuesday of the month...

I sure hope so... it doesn't look like there was much activity during this week on last year's thread. The academic calendar says school doesn't resume until tomorrow, the 4th. Doesn't mean the administrative offices aren't open though but we'll see. Interviewed early Nov.

Reactions: 1 users
I sure hope so... it doesn't look like there was much activity during this week on last year's thread. The academic calendar says school doesn't resume until tomorrow, the 4th. Doesn't mean the administrative offices aren't open though but we'll see. Interviewed early Nov.
I was thinking that, but since they've been closed for so long I was hoping they would meet today to catch up. Oh well, I guess I should have known lol. I guess two more weeks it is!

Reactions: 1 user
I was thinking that, but since they've been closed for so long I was hoping they would meet today to catch up. Oh well, I guess I should have known lol. I guess two more weeks it is!

Yup hopefully it'll be a big stream of acceptances!

L

Looking at last year's thread it should next week!

I have a question for everyone that has experience applying to UNC. Is it possible for someone who is from NC to go to a private university out of state and then still apply to UNC and ECU med school as an instate-applicant? Maybe someone who has done it or knows that its possible?

I have a question for everyone that has experience applying to UNC. Is it possible for someone who is from NC to go to a private university out of state and then still apply to UNC and ECU med school as an instate-applicant? Maybe someone who has done it or knows that its possible?

Yes - I did this. As long as you can keep your permanent address in NC (for me that was my parents house), keep your license in NC if you have one, continue to vote in NC, basically keep anything official in NC, you should be fine. The residency form just asks about taxes/voting/drivers license, etc.

From my experience applying to medical schools, as long as you are still a LEGAL resident of NC you should be considered in state for UNC. That means you have a NC driver's license. I went to undergrad out of state as well but still applied to my in state school back home and was considered an instate applicant. Hope this helps! Not sure about NC specifically, but I think the general rule of thumb applies.

Yes - I did this. As long as you can keep your permanent address in NC (for me that was my parents house), keep your license in NC if you have one, continue to vote in NC, basically keep anything official in NC, you should be fine. The residency form just asks about taxes/voting/drivers license, etc.

Ok that is such a relief, I currently attend a OOS private school but am from NC (have the permanent address and drivers license and everything). Any chance that you know how a gap year affects this? Assuming I take a gap year, I would be applying right after graduation so theoretically would still be applying as an IS applicant at the point right? But if I spend that Gap Year in another state do I risk losing that residency for the first year and giving up IS tuition if I am fortunate enough to be accepted to UNC?

Ok that is such a relief, I currently attend a OOS private school but am from NC (have the permanent address and drivers license and everything). Any chance that you know how a gap year affects this? Assuming I take a gap year, I would be applying right after graduation so theoretically would still be applying as an IS applicant at the point right? But if I spend that Gap Year in another state do I risk losing that residency for the first year and giving up IS tuition if I am fortunate enough to be accepted to UNC?
I also took a gap year and I just kept my home state driver's license that whole year and never became a new resident of the current state I lived in. It's confusing to figure out but you should be totally fine just don't apply for state residency in your new state!

Yup - did a gap year outside of NC and just kept my license, voted there, listed my permanent address as, etc. It shouldn't be an issue as long as you keep those things in place!

It is possible, you just have to be very careful... there are a lot of jobs that will require you to get a driver's license in the state you work for various reasons. If you make even one misstep (file your taxes incorrectly, etc.) you risk losing residency. I was told by UNC's admissions office that you can't be working in another state for more than 365 days and still be considered an NC resident. So for gap year purposes, this would mean acquiring employment that only lasts for 11 months or so.

It is possible, you just have to be very careful... there are a lot of jobs that will require you to get a driver's license in the state you work for various reasons. If you make even one misstep (file your taxes incorrectly, etc.) you risk losing residency. I was told by UNC's admissions office that you can't be working in another state for more than 365 days and still be considered an NC resident. So for gap year purposes, this would mean acquiring employment that only lasts for 11 months or so.

How would the admission office know that I will have worked in another state for more than 365 days? Assuming I apply right after graduation and only take one gap year, you are saying that at the time of my application I will be classified as an in-state applicant right? And that if I "mess" up during the gap year (by what you mention or end up working more than 12 months, etc) then I could potentially lose the in-state tuition if I am fortunate enough to get an acceptance? My first priority is being in-state from an admissions standpoint and then I want to ensure I am in position to get IS tuition if I somehow get in (applies to both UNC-CH and ECU).

Also, as long as I keep everything official NC-related from now till through the end of my gap year, I should be safe from an admission standpoint and tuition standpoint right? (drivers license, voting, taxes filed as dependent of my parents in NC, permanent address NC, etc)

How would the admission office know that I will have worked in another state for more than 365 days? Assuming I apply right after graduation and only take one gap year, you are saying that at the time of my application I will be classified as an in-state applicant right? And that if I "mess" up during the gap year (by what you mention or end up working more than 12 months, etc) then I could potentially lose the in-state tuition if I am fortunate enough to get an acceptance? My first priority is being in-state from an admissions standpoint and then I want to ensure I am in position to get IS tuition if I somehow get in (applies to both UNC-CH and ECU).

Also, as long as I keep everything official NC-related from now till through the end of my gap year, I should be safe from an admission standpoint and tuition standpoint right? (drivers license, voting, taxes filed as dependent of my parents in NC, permanent address NC, etc)

I've had this question for Ms. Randee Reid and she was very helpful in determining my residency status. From what I gathered the requirements were pretty basic and in the last line of your post, it seems like you covered all your bases. Personally, I wouldn't trust a random person (me in this case) on the internet. I called her, spoke with her for a few minutes, and gathered the necessary information.

She can't coach you on how to "game the system" but can see which boxes are checked. Make sure you check the ones that aren't. Again, I know it sounds obvious but from my perspective, she is not allowed to tell you what you should do but rather what you could do.

Has anyone complete late August or later received a II yet? If so, congrats and stats?

I'll chime in on the state of residence issue, since I had to deal with similar questions for this cycle.

Long story short, if you are in another state for educational purposes (i.e. attending a school OOS), you are NOT considered a resident of that state where your OOS school is, and if you're applying to AMCAS at this time, you simply list your permanent residence where your parents live (in your case, NC). So if you applied during the cycle while you were still attending that OOS school, your admissions residence would be your home state where your parents live.

If you live in another state for non-educational purposes (i.e. working a job during a gap year), you are now required by law to obtain the necessary documents to become a resident (getting a license, voter's registration, etc..). Since you are now paying taxes in this new state, have proof of residence, a license, and are no longer OOS for school, you would apply for admissions purposes as a resident of that new state. This is because by the time you matriculate the following year, you'd have a year's worth of taxes and documentation proving you are a resident, and thus you'd receive IS tuition at the new state where you're working.

If you want to go to UNC or ECU as a resident and are taking a gap year, get a job in NC, apply to the NC schools during your gap year, and you won't have to worry about any of this.

Last edited:
This may be a dumb question, but I'm scheduled to interview at the end of Feb, but the only emails from UNC that I've received are the II email with the link to schedule my day, and the interview confirmation email saying I'm scheduled for X date, day will begin at Bondurant Hall, click here for directions. I clicked the link, thinking there might be further info regarding interview day, but I don't see anything about what time the day starts, what the agenda will be, etc. Am I completely blind?

This may be a dumb question, but I'm scheduled to interview at the end of Feb, but the only emails from UNC that I've received are the II email with the link to schedule my day, and the interview confirmation email saying I'm scheduled for X date, day will begin at Bondurant Hall, click here for directions. I clicked the link, thinking there might be further info regarding interview day, but I don't see anything about what time the day starts, what the agenda will be, etc. Am I completely blind?
They didn't provide me with this information either; I got the same initial emails you did. They do send you a reminder confirmation email with your interview date/time about a week out from your interview. Day starts at 8 if you're interviewing on a Tuesday, 10:30 if interviewing on Monday or Wednesday. You meet in the admissions waiting room. Agenda is described when you get there but basically you have two interviews spread throughout the day, lunch, and a walking tour.

There was an interview day itinerary document you could have downloaded when scheduling your interview, but I don't know how to find it after you've already scheduled your interview and logged out.

They didn't provide me with this information either; I got the same initial emails you did. They do send you a reminder confirmation email with your interview date/time about a week out from your interview. Day starts at 8 if you're interviewing on a Tuesday, 10:30 if interviewing on Monday or Wednesday. You meet in the admissions waiting room. Agenda is described when you get there but basically you have two interviews spread throughout the day, lunch, and a walking tour.

There was an interview day itinerary document you could have downloaded when scheduling your interview, but I don't know how to find it after you've already scheduled your interview and logged out.
SO HELPFUL. Thank you!!!!!!!

Hopefully they meet today! It looks like the winter storm has the unc twitter saying the campus has "suspended operations", meaning only mandatory staff should be on campus so I wouldn't be surprised if no decisions were made today.

Has anyone complete late August or later received a II yet? If so, congrats and stats?
Complete August 24th and had my interview in November. LM 73, OOS with some ties to NC. Not great ECs but 2 years of research and a summer working in a clinical lab.

Hopefully they meet today! It looks like the winter storm has the unc twitter saying the campus has "suspended operations", meaning only mandatory staff should be on campus so I wouldn't be surprised if no decisions were made today.

They will not be meeting. Interviews today were canceled because the staff is not on campus.

Last edited:
I know exactly how you feel :(
So, what do you think the chances are that they will meet tomorrow to make up for not meeting today? I feel like they have to meet soon, I know for sure they haven't met since before mid-December. Which is a full month ago.

So, what do you think the chances are that they will meet tomorrow to make up for not meeting today? I feel like they have to meet soon, I know for sure they haven't met since before mid-December. Which is a full month ago.

Hopefully very, very soon. If I have to go shovel and de-ice the entire medical campus, I will.

Given how many Off days they've had, I'm not sure how much of an Urgency a meeting to decide potential students' fate would be in the adcom's agenda. However, I remain very hopeful that they do meet ASAP (if they haven't done so already) and let some of us out of our misery. What I hope they won't do is wait until they interview the next batch and meet at a much later date.

It could always be worse- I was scheduled to interview this week and am now waiting for a reschedule date :(

Lol anyone else still waiting since interviewing in September or October?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile