2016-2017 University of Rochester Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For people who have interviewed, did you stay with a student (student housing) or at a hotel?

For hotel, is there one that is recommended, that's in close proximity or within walking distance to where the interviews are? Thanks in advance.

I personally did not stay with a student host, but there are hosts available.

There is a hotel in very close proximity/walkable distance in college town. It's a Hilton...

http://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/...versity-and-medical-center-ROCUAGI/index.html

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

For people who have interviewed, did you stay with a student (student housing) or at a hotel?

For hotel, is there one that is recommended, that's in close proximity or within walking distance to where the interviews are? Thanks in advance.
I stayed with a host (which I did at every interview where one was available), and recommend, if possible. It both saved me money, and allowed me to find out a lot more about the school! I personally can sleep anywhere, so I didn't mind sleeping on couches/air mattresses, but if you really don't sleep well in anything other than a bed, then it might be worth it to you to get a hotel.

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile

I stayed at the holiday inn express, it was cheap and had a free shuttle from the airport and to the interview (just ask at the front desk!). They also had a good breakfast, and I know a few fellow interviewees stayed there.

Members don't see this ad :)

I stayed at an airbnb that was right next to the med center. It wasn't glamorous, but it only cost me ~$15 per night. That said, a free shuttle to the airport would be nice, since there isn't uber in Rochester

I stayed at the holiday inn express, it was cheap and had a free shuttle from the airport and to the interview (just ask at the front desk!). They also had a good breakfast, and I know a few fellow interviewees stayed there.

So you just asked the hotel and they took you to the medical center/school too?

anyone who interviewed in December know anything about the next wave of decisions? i can't remember if they said we'd hear back in 4-6 weeks or if they said 6-8, and it's keeping me up at night lmao

anyone who interviewed in December know anything about the next wave of decisions? i can't remember if they said we'd hear back in 4-6 weeks or if they said 6-8, and it's keeping me up at night lmao

I interviewed here yesterday and they said approximately 6 weeks.

I interviewed here yesterday and they said approximately 6 weeks.

oooof. i interviewed on December 8th, so it's already past the 6-week mark... hope they're just running a bit late with this decision hahah. thanks!

oooof. i interviewed on December 8th, so it's already past the 6-week mark... hope they're just running a bit late with this decision hahah. thanks!

You're welcome but I think with December interview it may take longer because of the holidays.

I was under the impression that a possible student interview would be in addition to two faculty interviews, but it turns out that I have one faculty and one student. Is this common for Rochester, from your all's experience?

I was under the impression that a possible student interview would be in addition to two faculty interviews, but it turns out that I have one faculty and one student. Is this common for Rochester, from your all's experience?
I also had one faculty and one student interview. Everyone at my interview had either 2 faculty, or 1 faculty and 1 student

Reactions: 1 user
Any December interviewees heard back yet? I'm assuming it'll be this week, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any December interviewees heard back yet? I'm assuming it'll be this week, right?
I interviewed second week in December and haven't heard back yet. From last year's thread, I am thinking we will hear back by the end of this week.

Accepted just now via email! interviewed in very early January--wasn't expecting to hear back so quickly

Reactions: 3 users
Wait listed just now :/ I have other acceptances and didn't feel like I had great interviews, but still a bit of a disappointment. Interviewed early December, LizzyM ~72-74

Accepted by email! Interviewed in mid-December and wasn't expecting this - I thought the interviews went okay but wasn't sure I convinced them I wanted to be there especially since I just completely forgot to send thank you notes...

Reactions: 1 users
How do you know if your essays were submitted? After I pressed the button it said "Submitted" in red, and now whenever I reload the page my essays appear in the boxes. But I didn't get any e-mail confirmation of submission. Is this normal?

How do you know if your essays were submitted? After I pressed the button it said "Submitted" in red, and now whenever I reload the page my essays appear in the boxes. But I didn't get any e-mail confirmation of submission. Is this normal?
Yep, that's normal

A couple quick questions, if anyone knows offhand:

How are things graded? P/F the first two years? I'm surprised I didn't see this on the website anywhere, but maybe I just missed it somehow.

Do they do class ranking? AΩA?

Thanks a ton!

A couple quick questions, if anyone knows offhand:

How are things graded? P/F the first two years? I'm surprised I didn't see this on the website anywhere, but maybe I just missed it somehow.

Do they do class ranking? AΩA?

Thanks a ton!

Pre-clinical is P/F, yes. The info is buried in the student handbook or some such document. IIRC one of the students said it is unranked.

Anyone have an idea how waitlist movement has been at this school in the past years? I haven't seen many people claim to have gotten off the waitlist. I would love to attend :<

Anyone know for sure/pretty sure they're coming here?

Anybody know if there's a fb page for accepted students yet?

interviewing tomorrow and I'm kinda scared tbh

Anybody know if there's a fb page for accepted students yet?

Last year they didn't make one until mid-March. You will get an email about it from the admissions office once they make it. Feel free to PM me if any of you have any questions about the school. I will try to respond within a few days

Last edited:
Many of my classmates came off the waitlist. The exact number I don't know, but there's usually a lot of waitlist movements here at U of R. Best of luck to you!

I'd be a little wary on saying that. Rochester used to be a school where a good part of the class, 20-30% came off the waitlist. That number has dropped a lot in the last few years- I'm an MS2, and only 5 people came off the waitlist my year

What day of the week/time of the month does Rochester release notifications; during my interview, I was told we would hear back mid February.

What day of the week/time of the month does Rochester release notifications; during my interview, I was told we would hear back mid February.
I interviewed towards the end of January, and iirc, there are committee meetings second and third week of February so we'd hear around the end of the month.

In my interview I was told we would be evaluated by the March committee

Mid to late Jan here, and we were told we'd hear back after committee on the 2nd and 3rd Tuesday of Feb. Really hope it hasn't changed for us.

I didnt hear specific dates, i was told 6-8 weeks to hear back. I am hoping to hear soon (even though that time hasn't passed, Im just anxious!)

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Hope the class hasn't filled already; interviewed January and haven't heard back yet. Can we expect more acceptances or waitlists and rejections?

Hope the class hasn't filled already; interviewed January and haven't heard back yet. Can we expect more acceptances or waitlists and rejections?
Same boat, I interviewed early January, and not a peep. I really hope this isn't a waitlist or rejection. Been taking the L as of late.

When I interviewed they emphasized that they try to ensure that all interviewees have the same shot, regardless of when they interview. Take that with a grain of salt, but don't count yourself out just yet

Accepted today. My first one . Interviewed Jan 5th. Stats LM~62. Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted today. My first one . Interviewed Jan 5th. Stats LM~62. Best of luck to everyone!
Email or phone call? And does anyone know, after acceptances come out for a collection of interviewees, when do waitlists and rejections come out for those who interviewed around the same time?

Email or phone call? And does anyone know, after acceptances come out for a collection of interviewees, when do waitlists and rejections come out for those who interviewed around the same time?
And congrats!!! :D

Phone call then email. And Thanks! :)

I was accepted today as well! Super excited. Complete back in August (LizzyM ~75), II in December, interviewed in late January. If people next year are reading this (I know I definitely stalked old school-specific threads), know that a "late" interview doesn't mean you're not in the running. Best of luck to everyone still waiting! :happy:

Edit: I got a phone call.

Reactions: 6 users
After other interviews/visits, I feel that Rochester by and far was the best fit for me (small size, essentially mandatory lectures, strong camaraderie among students and faculty, Double Helix, etc.). I am so excited to attend here!

Has anybody else finished their complete financial aid application? I have just now sent everything in, but am a little worried about not receiving much aid. My parents are well-off, but I am financing my medical education entirely alone. The financial aid office told me they take a lot of factors into account other than parental income, but I am a little worried my parents' income will mean I get nothing in aid and have to finance entirely on loans.

Are there any current students or future students who can speak more on this?