2016-2017 University of Rochester Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey

I'm a MS2 at the UofR. Post your questions! I'll try to answer them in a timely manner, but end of the year is kinda stressful, so may take a while

The MS1s should have replied...freaking slackers. TBF they're in one of the toughest blocks of med school right now

Hey! Probably a stupid question, but would you say that those of us who haven't been rejected yet still have a realistic shot at getting an II? Noticing that they've started rejecting those complete in August. Complete in July and still waiting.

Haven't been rejected but idk how I feel about getting that MS medical humanities email.. I don't recall completing any surveys

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected this morning pre-II
LissyM = 69
OOS
Complete 8/23

rejected this morning, complete late August

How long does U of R usually take for a post-II decision?

Last edited:
Complete in August, still haven't heard back. Does that mean rejection? How many II left at this point in the cycle?

Rejected this morning pre-II. Complete around mid-august

Members don't see this ad :)
So general question, but what was the knockout factor that made you choose Rochester? How close are you to your classmates? When I interviewed everybody seemed pretty stressed, but that may have just been the time of year (late Sept, early October)

Sorry for the late reply. I was sick this weekend

I'm so sorry people seemed stressed! You must have come when the 1st years were having a block exam-your timing coincides with their 1st real med school exam, so people may have been super stressed. I swear that we like each other and hang out a lot. Each class is different of course, but

I picked Rochester for a couple of reasons

1) The camaraderie I saw. UofR is one of the few top 30 med schools that doesn't record it's lectures- so most of my class goes to lectures. I was apprehensive of it at first, but I feel that me and my classmates are very very close. We do a lot together- a lot of my class went to Canada together last year for memorial day, and to Rhode Island this year. Of course, there are people in my class who have their own families, etc, and dont socialize that much, but I know every person in my class. PBL (small group learning) also helps this

2) Strong Memorial Hospital is a giant medical hospital, with more or less every specialty. It's the main big hospital in Western New York, so you can do research in whatever you want, and electives in virtually everything. This matters a lot- and as a result, we have people going to every specialty

3) The match results are pretty damn strong. And they would be stronger if not for the fact that a lot of the class comes from the Northeast and wants to stay there. The average Step score is like 238, which is fantastic

4)The double helix curriculum is the single strongest thing about the school. We do our family med rotation over the course of the first two years (not third year unlike most schools). This means that you get into the clinics really early- starting January of 1st year. I now go to preceptor every week, for 2 afternoons. Honestly, I feel like I'm a better student as a result- I'm very comfortable doing SOAP notes, etc. And you see cool ****, and learn a lot

5) The teaching here is fantastic. I can't compare vs any other schools, but I went to a top 10 undergrad, and I can say that my instruction at UofR is better than any class I've ever taken

Overall. I'm very happy where I am. Is everything perfect? No- but the faculty is very responsive to student input and changes the curriculum to react to feedback. For instance, in our HSF course (anatomy, physio, and histo), our class thought there was too much material in the last block. So our instructors changed the course for the current 1st years, and while they have an extra test, they have more class time to learn the material

Reactions: 5 users
Hey! Probably a stupid question, but would you say that those of us who haven't been rejected yet still have a realistic shot at getting an II? Noticing that they've started rejecting those complete in August. Complete in July and still waiting.

No specific advice tbh. Call the admissions office and ask if they're receptive to a letter of interest?

Hoping to hear back this week- interviewed 11/18

Reactions: 4 users
II today! Complete late September, LizzyM ~77
Can you stay with students for the interview / has anybody done that and could comment on their experience?

Reactions: 3 users
And rejected... complete first week of August :cool:

Got the axe this morning as well. Complete August 2. Good luck to everyone still in the running!

Rejected today. Complete 6/28. LM 67-69 OOS non-URM. Pretty surprised that I managed to survive so many rejection waves. Rejection letter also wasnt the nicest.

Just got the call- ACCEPTED!! I really liked the vibe I got from this school. So happy :)

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Rejected yesterday pre-II
complete 9/10-ish, LizzyM 64 OOS

Waitlisted. Damn, definitely my top choice.

Congrats to all of those that got accepted! Still waiting to hear back from 11 schools and 1 interview

Got accepted a few hours ago and interviewed mid November! Honestly super surprised because I thought I crashed and burned during the small group discussion..

Reactions: 5 users
Got the acceptance call! SO grateful and excited! I really loved Rochester. Interviewed 11/14

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted today via call. interviewed 11/15! Very humbled and excited.

Reactions: 2 users