2016-2017 University of Tennessee Health Sciences Center Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So you called and asked the Assistant Dean of Admissions for UT medical school for advice and then you question if that is good advice? Come on man, you already know the answer. You want the highest GPA you can... No matter how great your EC's, you can't overcome a 2.5 GPA or something like that. Get the best MCAT score you can, the highest GPA you can, the best EC's you can and realize that all of those metrics are just one part of the entire puzzle.
What I meant to get across is he's only one person on the admissions committee and he could probably be outvoted by others on my application. People with better GPAs have been rejected by this school. Also, I know the better the GPA, the better chances you have getting in. I'm not new to this. I've met people who are going to the Carib who gave me that advice.

Yep. I have had several interactions with him. He is a great resource. I met with him after the last cycle.
Thank you. He was very straight-forward, polite, and helpful when I spoke to him. Once again, I don't wanna apply and get rejected with my GPA, phone the school up, and have them say "your GPA could be better. Have you tried our SMP?"

Members don't see this ad.

What I meant to get across is he's only one person on the admissions committee and he could probably be outvoted by others on my application. People with better GPAs have been rejected by this school. Also, I know the better the GPA, the better chances you have getting in. I'm not new to this. I've met people who are going to the Carib who gave me that advice.

Thank you. He was very straight-forward, polite, and helpful when I spoke to him. Once again, I don't wanna apply and get rejected with my GPA, phone the school up, and have them say "your GPA could be better. Have you tried our SMP?"
According to my friend who interviewed last cycle, Strother isn't actually a part of the committee. He doesn't make any decisions regarding admission, he's just a resource for the pre-meds.

According to my friend who interviewed last cycle, Strother isn't actually a part of the committee. He doesn't make any decisions regarding admission, he's just a resource for the pre-meds.
According the the UTHSC website, Mr. Strother is the assistant dean for admissions and student affairs. He is listed first on the Medicine Admissions staff. I don't think he explicitly told me he was part of the adcom, but when we talked about my future app, he kept saying "we look at [X] heavily, we like to see [Y], etc."

https://uthsc.edu/Medicine/Admissions/COM_ADMS_STAFF.php

Members don't see this ad :)
My point is that his job is to provide advice for students applying to medical school and is based on literally thousands of applications he has seen. Why would that not be valuable advice? I've spoken with him on two different occasions and he has been fantastic. I can't think of any other school I've talked to that had any one else who was more kind and helpful.

You mention that you wonder if you should still try and get your GPA up... But why wouldn't you try and do that already? I just don't get what you are asking in your original question because of course you know that you want the highest GPA you can get.
I graduated without any debt. I'm currently working full-time and studying the MCAT. I only get about 1 hour each day to myself at night and I usually use that to hit the gym to destress.

I don't want to inherit debt before medical school unless I go for an SMP or do a DIY postbacc to solidify my upward trend (about 50% of my last 4 semesters was non-science.) I would need to take classes without many other distractions, such as my job and studying the MCAT. I will concede that my original post was a bit neurotic though.

Last edited:
I have a masters in microbiology.
I'm applying for the first time, I got my application verify on 7/25. But, haven't get a secondary application yet, hope I will get a secondary application soon.

May I know the reason you didn't get in on your first try?

Last edited:
See this makes more sense, but I didn't know of this in your original post. At this point, even a 4.0 semester will do little to bring up your GPA significantly enough. I say you just accept where your GPA is and do your best to set yourself apart in other ways. The application process as a whole is moving to a more holistic approach, IMO. That's certainly not to say schools don't value stats, but so much more goes into this than just your grade in freshman biology. I wish you well.
That's the vibe I got from meeting with Mr. Strother as well. Even though my GPA is low, he said it looked great and I wouldn't need to take any SMP. 90% of what we focused on was the other stuff on my app. He wants me to get more clinical hours, which I am going to do on weekends for the next year.

That's the vibe I got from meeting with Mr. Strother as well. Even though my GPA is low, he said it looked great and I wouldn't need to take any SMP. 90% of what we focused on was the other stuff on my app. He wants me to get more clinical hours, which I am going to do on weekends for the next year.

Did you meant, what UT focused on was the other stuff on your application? MCAT, volunteering, working experience, etc?

When can OOS expect to receive a secondary?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
90% of matriculating students have to be TN residents. The only OOS considered have to be from a state bordering TN. If they only take ~165 people this year, then only 2 people from each neighboring state will be given an acceptance letter.

90% of matriculating students have to be TN residents. The only OOS considered have to be from a state bordering TN. If they only take ~165 people this year, then only 2 people from each neighboring state will be given an acceptance letter.
Right. And I understand that fully, but none of you are answering my question. I can google that too, FutureSurgical. I saw people last year from OOS get acceptances on last year's thread. I asked when OOS receive secondaries not what my acceptance chances are. I am confident in my application regardless of what you may think.

Reactions: 4 users
Right. And I understand that fully, but none of you are answering my question. I can google that too, FutureSurgical. I saw people last year from OOS get acceptances on last year's thread. I asked when OOS receive secondaries not what my acceptance chances are. I am confident in my application regardless of what you may think.

Listen, I'll put this plainly. It doesn't matter if you have the mind of House MD and the people skills of Patch Adams, if you are an OOS with no ties to TN you will be seen as a second-rate applicant. It's just the way the school works. It's the same for any TN MD program.

So you may get a secondary and you may get an acceptance, but the way the school runs you will be waiting longer than your IS competitors.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
What ATPsynthase123 said. If you can google what I wrote, then you can look up when OOS applicants received their secondaries on this site. Not hard.

What ATPsynthase123 said. If you can google what I wrote, then you can look up when OOS applicants received their secondaries on this site. Not hard.

Lol I wouldn't waste your time. It's a troll account. He's been trying to berate me in PM, so I've spent the past hour just f*cking with him.

I had a good laugh though. Either this guy is a bad troll or an incredibly delusional applicant who has social skills bordering on autism.

Lol I wouldn't waste your time. It's a troll account. He's been trying to berate me in PM, so I've spent the past hour just f*cking with him.

I had a good laugh though. Either this guy is a bad troll or an incredibly delusional applicant who has social skills bordering on autism.

Hey how long after the secondary submissions can we expect our IIs?

Last edited:
trolls man...you live you learn

Trolls man you live you learn!

Hey how long after the secondary submissions can we expect our IIs?

No idea lol maybe Mid September? I've heard that if you get a secondary here you will get an II. Im skeptical though. It sounds almost too good to be true

No idea lol maybe Mid September? I've heard that if you get a secondary here you will get an II. Im skeptical though. It sounds almost too good to be true

was trying to go scroll through the old threads and it was a trend.

Last edited:
praying we both get it! is this the number one choice? just submitted my secondary a couple of days ago. was trying to go scroll through the old threads and it was a trend.

I'll take what I can get lol right now DO school is the most likely bet, but I think I might stand a chance at Quillen or UT.

I went ahead and looked through the past 2 years of UT's thread and it does looks like those who got a secondary got an II. Now I too am skeptical about that being an end-all be-all rule of thumb, but it does seem to hold true given what I've seen in the past threads. MSAR does state they send secondaries to "selected applicants" and I know of IS'ers who haven't gotten secondaries, so who knows.

It's essentially a crap shoot

Welcome to med school admissions lol

According to last year, IIs should have started going out yesterday and today for the first interview date next Monday. I guess we can anticipate some increased activity on this thread in the coming days and weeks.

I'm on mobile, but the first interview day date is next week. Google "UTHSC interview" and you'll find the dates on their website. Cue non-stop email refreshing. Here. We. Go.

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

Yea that's what I was saying. Next Monday, October 3rd is the first interview date unless something has changed and they haven't updated it. Good luck everyone!

Yea that's what I was saying. Next Monday, October 3rd is the first interview date unless something has changed and they haven't updated it. Good luck everyone!

It's kinda short noticed to send IIs out a week in advance isn't it?

Any invites yet?

Edit: Also, any UT undergrads panic every time they get an email from them?

I think it is unlikely that any of the SDNers didn't get one of the first II, but I guess it's a small possibility. With that being said, it's very frustrating that UT has waited this long to send out invites, ESPECIALLY if the first day truly is Monday. They've had most of our apps for months now and know damn well who they want to interview already. Every day closer to the day is just more and more money for us applicants who don't go to school in TN right now for UG.

Sunday night

UTHSC: Congratulations, you're invited to interview at UTHSC for the class of 2021 tomorrow at 8:00 am.

Kaboom'd: Oh chill, see you in the morning.

Proceeds to lose mind.

I think it is unlikely that any of the SDNers didn't get one of the first II, but I guess it's a small possibility. With that being said, it's very frustrating that UT has waited this long to send out invites, ESPECIALLY if the first day truly is Monday. They've had most of our apps for months now and know damn well who they want to interview already. Every day closer to the day is just more and more money for us applicants who don't go to school in TN right now for UG.

Yep..last cycle when I lived in Maryland I had to get a flight from there when I got my II on Wednesday.

Sunday night

UTHSC: Congratulations, you're invited to interview at UTHSC for the class of 2021 tomorrow at 8:00 am.

Kaboom'd: Oh chill, see you in the morning.

Proceeds to lose mind.

I'd call and reschedule. Unless you live in the Memphis area, there is no way you could plan that.

Received II, about an hour ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Congrats! Do you mind sharing any stats or your complete date?

Sure. I received the secondary in what I surmise to be the first wave from SDN posts and was sent a complete email at the end of August.
LizzyM > 80.

I got an II on Wednesday night for the Wednesday 10/5 interview day. Any insight how their interviews are? I'm going to be heading straight to memphis from another interview and am nervous about the quick turnaround

I received an II yesterday for next Tuesday. I was complete early September with a LizzyM ~75 and IS. I hear the interviews are pretty straightforward but if someone interviews this week and wants to share their experience, I am all ears.

Reactions: 3 users
Any update from people who've interviewed? Did you all like it?

If you receive a secondary are you likely to get an interview? The secondary was just a form not essays so I'm confused on how they select