2016-2017 University of Texas - Southwestern Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They send an email.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Immediately on match? Or just sort of rolling depending on how high up you are?

Members don't see this ad.

Matched! How do you do fellow classmates?

How do we accept the offer? I haven't received an email from them.

Reactions: 5 users
Immediately on match? Or just sort of rolling depending on how high up you are?

I was waitlisted another year. I think it was later on match day or a few days later. People (everyone) on the waitlist got an email and then separately a few people got rejected.

Then the wait begins. Doesn't pick up until mid spring.

Members don't see this ad :)
My co-worker didn't match here but did match at UTHSCSA. I've heard different schools treat waitlists different. Does UTSW contact those who they waitlist or do you have to call and ask? We're at work trying to figure this out ha.
They email!
Last year the email came at the end of the business day on match day (at least mine did!). And then usually there's no movement until Baylor accepts people, and then some people switch to Baylor. Also when Harvard etc accept people there might be movement.
And then late April, and after that there's a wave every 2 or 3 weeks until late May.

Accepted to a top 20 and can't even get wait listed at my favorite home state school?? What is going on. :(

Accepted to a top 20 and can't even get wait listed at my favorite home state school?? What is going on. :(
I didn't get into my state school last year, but I did get into 2 Texas schools, as an out-of-stater with literally zero ties to Texas. Getting into med school is an odd process, and you still might get in, so just wait and see.

Are you saying that because you got rejected or because you just haven't received the e-mail yet? Because if it's the latter, I'd try not to jump to conclusions. They're coming.

So has anyone OOS heard about waitlist yet?

So has anyone OOS heard about waitlist yet?

Nope. I interviewed end of October and silence since then. Really hoping to hear back anything by mid march at least which is when I think most schools make their lists.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think anyone in-state has even heard about the waitlist. My co-worker who's waiting called during lunch today to ask about it. They said the 2 people to talk to were out of office, and she needs to e-mail for waitlist information. I'll let ya know what happens.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone in-state has even heard about the waitlist. My co-worker who's waiting called during lunch today to ask about it. They said the 2 people to talk to were out of office, and she needs to e-mail for waitlist information. I'll let ya know what happens.
MS0 weekend is this weekend, so maybe the timeline is a little different this year. Normally MS0 is a few weeks later in February. Everyone involved in planning MS0 weekend (myself included) is just super busy right now.

I never post on here, but I just got the waitlist notification.

Waitlist email came today. Fingers crossed!

Is alternate list same as waitlist?

I would assume so? My email did say alternate list as well, but functionally it's just a waitlist, as far as I can tell.

Wait list/alternative list just went out

Alternate list, too! Yay! I wonder how many of us there are..

So the consensus is that the waitlist and alternate list are the same, right?

Alternate list, too! Yay! I wonder how many of us there are..

So the consensus is that the waitlist and alternate list are the same, right?
I hope so. I was concerned too.

In case anyone else is reading this that also still hasn't gotten an email yet, don't worry, you got a friend in me

I received an email notifying me that I'm on the alternate list. I thought the following was the funniest part of the email: "What is your place on the list? UT Southwestern does not rank the alternate list and will resume 'rolling' admissions as places in the class become available." I may just be a naive pre-med, but I find it very hard to believe that they don't rank. I mean, do they seriously just randomly pick people off the alternate list when spots become available?! Give me a break! lol

I received an email notifying me that I'm on the alternate list. I thought the following was the funniest part of the email: "What is your place on the list? UT Southwestern does not rank the alternate list and will resume 'rolling' admissions as places in the class become available." I may just be a naive pre-med, but I find it very hard to believe that they don't rank. I mean, do they seriously just randomly pick people off the alternate list when spots become available?! Give me a break! lol

They aren't really implying that it's just a random draw... at least that's not my impression. I would think that it's not a solid/set-in-stone ranked list and they'll continuously discuss and evaluate the remaining candidates as the class begins to take shape.

Well it's obviously not random. Not sure about rank though.
Generally, when they say "rolling," they mean they look at everyone again every time a spot becomes available, but I'm not sure how that's possible given the amount of turnover. Seems like it would be a ton of work.

Well it's obviously not random. Not sure about rank though.
Generally, when they say "rolling," they mean they look at everyone again every time a spot becomes available, but I'm not sure how that's possible given the amount of turnover. Seems like it would be a ton of work.
If they say it is ranked, they will have to endure countless calls, "what number am I on the list? How about now?" Waiting sucks. Most invites for people off waitlists didn't happen last year until May.
In the meantime, if you get an offer to be on a waitlist, reply promptly and say, "yes, thank you, I would like that"

It sounds like they treat it just like interview invites or prematches. When a certain number of spots are available, they evaluate the candidate pool in whatever way it is they do. I'm sure better stats and EC sort us into groups sort of like a rank, but it sounds like they evaluate the list as spots becomes available rather than just "1 spot opened, let the top guy in now"

Just got my rejection email hahah. Kind of figured after rankings were due :p

They probably pick a "backup" candidate for each spot that opens up.

Last edited:
Was there a good amount of waitlist movement the past years?

From what I've heard, there is a great deal of waitlist movement. I was told nearly 1/3 of the class got in off the waitlist.

The reasoning I was previously told was because they do 100% pre-match offers. This means they really shoot for the stars on their applicants. When Harvard, Baylor, and all the other top 20 national schools do their acceptance (Around April), you will have a sudden movement of the waitlist as people reject their UTSW offers.

Just got my rejection email hahah. Kind of figured after rankings were due :p
Did you interview here? Just curious, because I heard that last year they sent rejections in June only.

Was there a good amount of waitlist movement the past years?

There was a ton of waitlist movement last year, and from what I've read it's what usually happens. There can always be a random year with very little movement though, but hopefully there will be a lot. I'm rooting for you all!

Did you interview here? Just curious, because I heard that last year they sent rejections in June only.
True, but UTSW sending rejections is different from applicants rejecting UTSW for a spot they prefer. These departures will create the spaces that will lead to people getting in from the Wait List

True, but UTSW sending rejections is different from applicants rejecting UTSW for a spot they prefer. These departures will create the spaces that will lead to people getting in from the Wait List
I understand what you are saying, but that's not what I meant to ask. From what I know, the rejection email this early goes out to only those who applied but did not get the interview, and in June, another rejection/class full email goes out to the waitlisted candidates who didn't make it.

I understand what you are saying, but that's not what I meant to ask. From what I know, the rejection email this early goes out to only those who applied but did not get the interview, and in June, another rejection/class full email goes out to the waitlisted candidates who didn't make it.
I'm also curious about this... I assumed that receiving this email meant I was on the waitlist. Has anyone had an interview AND been rejected?

The e-mail made it sound like this was a special thing since it said "if you are receiving this e-mail, you are on the list"

I'm also curious about this... I assumed that receiving this email meant I was on the waitlist. Has anyone had an interview AND been rejected?

The e-mail made it sound like this was a special thing since it said "if you are receiving this e-mail, you are on the list"
From what I know, everyone who interviewed gets on the waitlist.

Past threads indicate there have been some exceptions.

Haha when I read "exceptions" I immediately thought they just must have bombed the interview like absurdly hard.

Haha when I read "exceptions" I immediately thought they just must have bombed the interview like absurdly hard.

Haha maybe a bad word choice. I remember reading and it didn't seem that a crap of an interview was the case but who knows?

oh LOL i was rejected pre-II. </3
This is normal. Everyone who did not get II gets a rejection email after the match. Everyone who interviewed gets on to the waitlist, however, there are exceptions: A friend just confirmed that he knows a few people who interviewed and got rejection email instead of waitlist email. The reason for rejection was definitely not a bad interview, because these are the people who are serious about med. school.