2016-2017 University of Vermont Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I sent an update letter about the killer mashed potatoes I made 2 nights ago.

I'm eating popcorn and ice cream for dinner, do you think this is significant enough to send in??

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm eating popcorn and ice cream for dinner, do you think this is significant enough to send in??
Yeah just make sure you don't "grade" the popcorn/ice cream combo and you should be fine.

Need to find the best way to get here by car. Traveling from NY state and looking for another alternative road to route 7.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Need to find the best way to get here by car. Traveling from NY state and looking for another alternative road to route 7.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Assuming you're coming from downstate NY, you have two options to avoid taking Route 7 for an extended period of time, but no matter what will take it for the last 30 min of the trip...
You can take 87 to 149 (Fort Ann, NY) to 4 (Whitehall, NY) to 22A (in Fair Haven, VT) to 7 (about 30 min out from Burlington, in Vergennes).
Or you can take 87 for longer to 74 (Schroon Lake, NY) to Champlain Bridge (Crown Point, NY). You'll go through Addison, VT and then have to take 22A to Route 7 into Burlington.

The time difference between the two is minuscule in the long run, but you'll feel like the second option is faster because you're staying on the Thruway for longer at a faster speed.

Reactions: 1 user
Assuming you're coming from downstate NY, you have two options to avoid taking Route 7 for an extended period of time, but no matter what will take it for the last 30 min of the trip...
You can take 87 to 149 (Fort Ann, NY) to 4 (Whitehall, NY) to 22A (in Fair Haven, VT) to 7 (about 30 min out from Burlington, in Vergennes).
Or you can take 87 for longer to 74 (Schroon Lake, NY) to Champlain Bridge (Crown Point, NY). You'll go through Addison, VT and then have to take 22A to Route 7 into Burlington.

The time difference between the two is minuscule in the long run, but you'll feel like the second option is faster because you're staying on the Thruway for longer at a faster speed.
Thank you for the information.
Good Luck with your cycle!

Are there a lot of November 5th interviewees still waiting? I was expecting to see some movement today but no one has mentioned anything yet.

Is anyone interviewing on January 28th and driving south such that they could drop me off close to NYC? (I'll pay for gas!) The only Megabus on the 28th to NYC is in the morning, so I could either take a Megabus to Boston at night and then go from Boston to NYC, or I could stay an additional day in Burlington and come down the next day. Both those options are less preferable than a straight shot via car, so please PM if you can lend a hand! Thank you!

Are there a lot of November 5th interviewees still waiting? I was expecting to see some movement today but no one has mentioned anything yet.
Same! I thought for sure we'd hear back today.

Last edited:
Do we think this last batch of IIs is the last one? I think it's a pretty high likelihood that the Feb 25th interview date will be the last of the season, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do we think this last batch of IIs is the last one? I think it's a pretty high likelihood that the Feb 25th interview date will be the last of the season, right?
The portal says interviews are scheduled till mid-March, so I doubt that's the last date.

It seems that last year the final date was around Feb 25th

Last year seemed to also be a weird cycle for them? IIs stopped going out in like December, if I remember right. I don't know that we can compare cycles at all here, especially since pre-2015 was non-MMI.

Where do first year students generally live? When should we start thinking about trying to secure housing?

Does anyone know if OOS applicants are first put on a wait list prior to an acceptance?

Does anyone know if OOS applicants are first put on a wait list prior to an acceptance?
no, i am OOS and was accepted after the interview. Others OOS that I know were also accepted without waitlist.

Has anyone heard of any waitlist movement thus far? Have they even sent out any admission decisions since the start of the new year?

Wondering the same thing

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Most people used a combination of the group Facebook page (we made a class google doc with our preferences) and Craigslist/other for rent websites (easy to google) to figure out housing. No need to worry about it until the class is more established around May. Most leases around here start in June but finding something that starts in August is also possible. Former students may also post housing opportunities to the Facebook page as it gets closer and taking over a lease from an older student is a good option. The area between campus and the lake/downtown tends to be more undergrads but medical students live there, too. There is a town called Winooski the opposite direction from campus and many students live there or somewhere between campus and there. It is nice to be walking/biking distance or along a bus route as parking is not that convenient, but there is parking available for those who are farther away.

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone received a preII rejection? wondering if maybe they just do silent rejections because...its been pretty damn silent :(

Anyone make it out of the pool recently? My floaties are losing air:unsure:

Reactions: 12 users
Has anyone accepted received a scholarship or loan?

How long did it take between acceptance --> your scholly email?

Probably 4-6 weeks... remember though, a lot of people who received early scholarships will go else where. Those scholarships will be redistributed later

Reactions: 1 users
Hopefully today we see some decisions from the November 5th interview.

Weird question. Do they give you anything to eat at the beginning of the interview day?

I don't care how many times I have to repost this. The food was so awesome.

See here for evidence:
OH MAN it was so good.

For breakfast there was quiche, sausage/veggie sausage, fruit, yogurt (maybe, can't remember), a couple different types of breakfast pastries, coffee, water, juice. Pretty good stuff.

They encouraged everyone to take some packaged snacks/protein bars for gamefuel for the day IIRC.

Lunch was Korean BBQ street taco bar. Lots of extras and sauces too. Everything was just so delicious.
Aaaand, if I might add....

Wrapped up session with the infamous apple cider and apple donuts.
OMG I FORGOT. I was so stuffed by the end I wanted to food coma

I interviewed in December. Recently received a FAFSA reminder email, and the email acknowledged that I haven't received a decision yet. Anyone else get one of these? Do they actually send these reminders to everybody, regardless of acceptance status?

I interviewed in December. Recently received a FAFSA reminder email, and the email acknowledged that I haven't received a decision yet. Anyone else get one of these? Do they actually send these reminders to everybody, regardless of acceptance status?
I got one while being on the Waitlist

I don't care how many times I have to repost this. The food was so awesome.

See here for evidence:
I'm obsessed with your enthusiasm. I look forward to your response each time someone asks about the food on this thread....

Still have not heard back from a November interview lol.. whats going on