2016-2017 University of Virginia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got my financial aid offer, and had things submitted about a week or two ago. As much as I loved the school, I likely will be withdrawing my spot here soon!
Are you withdrawing b/c the financial aid offer was just loans?

Members don't see this ad.

So I just got my preliminary financial aid offer. Would people say their final financial aid offer was very similar in terms of how much money you got?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
46ED825F-E7B0-4E79-8602-B8F626C26202-2066-000001ECF8979B88.jpg

Not relevant but I felt like this needed to be shared

Reactions: 1 users
So I just got my preliminary financial aid offer. Would people say their final financial aid offer was very similar in terms of how much money you got?

Wait, the preliminary might be followed up? Any possibility of any other sources of aid? My estimated costs are still high even after qualifying for full need based aid.

Are you withdrawing b/c the financial aid offer was just loans?
Got a very small amount of aid but probably not enough to justify going here over another school I'm a better fit for!

Wait, the preliminary might be followed up? Any possibility of any other sources of aid? My estimated costs are still high even after qualifying for full need based aid.

Idk. I thought the preliminary was just an estimate and that a final quote was coming later. I was thinking this because I got my preliminary like 2 days after sending in my stuff... Didn't believe the turnaround could be that fast.

Idk. I thought the preliminary was just an estimate and that a final quote was coming later. I was thinking this because I got my preliminary like 2 days after sending in my stuff... Didn't believe the turnaround could be that fast.

As far as I know, the financial aid info is the same as what you actually get. You can just call the financial aid office and ask though.

The non-tuition costs can be fairly variable depending on where you live, if you buy books or expensive equipment, have a car, need health insurance, etc.

As far as I know, the financial aid info is the same as what you actually get. You can just call the financial aid office and ask though.

The non-tuition costs can be fairly variable depending on where you live, if you buy books or expensive equipment, have a car, need health insurance, etc.

What do the book costs look like at UVA?

Has anyone heard anything about merit aid?

What do the book costs look like at UVA?
Really all over the place based on personal preference. You can definitely get away with not getting any books during the first 18 months. I probably didn't use the books I got as much as I thought I would, but they're nice to have for quick reference. A lot of students like Pathoma (online videos + book, wait to get a class discount), First Aid (not good to learn from, it's a review text for Step 1), maybe an anatomy text, maybe a pathology text. Netters flashcards are also pretty good if you like visual learning. Again, really depends on personal preference, but our curriculum provides just about all the resources you need with online texts, podcasts, review quizzes, class, etc, in terms of school exams.

Other stuff:
-Consider cost of Q-banks like UWorld or Kaplan - some students like to use those during first year, although I don't think it's necessary.
-It's probably cheaper to buy books off upperclassmen and there's usually a book sale in the fall and spring.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone heard anything about merit aid?

Nothing on my end. Do you know what their merit scholarships usually are like (like if they're usually full or half tuition, or if they deal out amounts less than that to supplement people's need based aid etc.)

I really hope to get something merit wise as even something like quarter tuition would bring the cost down from potentially daunting to very managable... but I don't think I've ever personally talked with anyone who has gotten merit aid here. Seems like it's the most enigmatic of all the schools I applied to as far as merit aid goes.

Nothing on my end. Do you know what their merit scholarships usually are like (like if they're usually full or half tuition, or if they deal out amounts less than that to supplement people's need based aid etc.)

I really hope to get something merit wise as even something like quarter tuition would bring the cost down from potentially daunting to very managable... but I don't think I've ever personally talked with anyone who has gotten merit aid here. Seems like it's the most enigmatic of all the schools I applied to as far as merit aid goes.

I emailed my financial aid counselor back when I got my package, and they said, "The largest merit-based scholarship I have seen awarded is $20,000 per year."

Members don't see this ad :)

I emailed my financial aid counselor back when I got my package, and they said, "The largest merit-based scholarship I have seen awarded is $20,000 per year."

*Deleted* It says right on the website that the max need-based scholarship is $23k for in-state students and $28k for OOS.

I just got one of the in-state scholarships, and I'm thrilled!

_____

The extra, merit-based scholarships are for the top applicants to the school and for students within the school that are killing it. So, don't expect to get merit.

We're talking about a school where the "average" student has a 95%ile MCAT score. There's tough competition for merit.

Last edited:
I don't think that's accurate. It says right on the website that the max need-based scholarship is $23k for in-state students and $28k for OOS.

_____

The extra, merit-based scholarships are for the top applicants to the school and for students within the school that are killing it. So, don't expect to get merit.

We're talking about a school where the "average" student has a 95%ile MCAT score. There's tough competition for merit, here.

So are the 23k and 28k IS and OOS need based scholarships that you mention based solely on financial need? Or do they take into account academic merit as well when deciding whom to award those?

So are the 23k and 28k IS and OOS need based scholarships that you mention based solely on financial need? Or do they take into account academic merit as well when deciding whom to award those?

Yea. The $23k or $28k scholarships specifically are for need-based candidates.

There are many other scholarships that UVa offers that are merit based, but those are, I believe, first come first serve and for the tippy-top of the applicant pool.

UVa definitely has students who get more than just need-based aid.

I don't think that's accurate. It says right on the website that the max need-based scholarship is $23k for in-state students and $28k for OOS.

_____

We're talking about a school where the "average" student has a 95%ile MCAT score. There's tough competition for merit, here.

So you might be able to earn a merit scholarship for later years based on your performance within medical school? I always thought you got one upon admission or not at all, but that would be a nice motivator.

Yea. The $23k or $28k scholarships specifically are for need-based candidates.

There are many other scholarships that UVa offers that are merit based, but those are, I believe, first come first serve and for the tippy-top of the applicant pool.

UVa definitely has students who get more than just need-based aid.

How many are we talking about here?

_____

Well, the website you quoted says that is the max "need based" scholarship, so I'm not sure how I'm being inaccurate. I gave a direct quote from my counselor.

How much does the WL most at UVA for IS students? Got waitlisted. :-\

I also heard they're making the class bigger this year. Do you all think that means they'll accept some people later once they know the new class size?

How much does the WL most at UVA for IS students? Got waitlisted. :-\

I also heard they're making the class bigger this year. Do you all think that means they'll accept some people later once they know the new class size?
Wouldn't they have to add a new table in the claude moore building?

Well, the website you quoted says that is the max "need based" scholarship, so I'm not sure how I'm being inaccurate. I gave a direct quote from my counselor.
You right.

IS, 23k need + 20k merit = almost all tuition, so if you're badass person whose parents aren't stock brockers... you stand a shot at going to UVa for under 100k. Which is damn good.

Interesting. Where did you hear that?

One of my friends is an M4 there. She said they're making the class bigger now that they have INOVA, but now that I think about it she wasn't really sure when so maybe it's not coming until later. :-\

For anyone who attended the second look event, how did it go? I unfortunately was not able to be there but I am curious as to how it was perceived

For anyone who attended the second look event, how did it go? I unfortunately was not able to be there but I am curious as to how it was perceived

It was a fun weekend. I went in already set on UVA so for me it was more social and about meeting potential classmates. I'd say it was 50 percent students already set on UVA and most of the others were at least leaning toward it. Lots of good insight on the school from current student panels. Didn't learn much that I didn't know previously, but I really just needed an excuse to get down to Charlottesville again. Had social events both nights, seems like the student body has a good make up. Upperclassmen were all very friendly, no one had a bad thing to say about the school and I think that was truly genuine. The whole weekend basically reinforced everything I loved about the school. Weather was gorgeous. Can't wait to get down there this Fall.

Reactions: 2 users
I just withdrew my acceptance, decided to stay at UNC. Hope one of y'all gets good news soon!

Does anyone know how the vibe that the undergrad population has translates to the medical school?

Does anyone know how the vibe that the undergrad population has translates to the medical school?
What do you mean?
----
In any case, med students and undergrads occupy different universes at UVA. Most med students stick to the hospital and the med school; not that many intermingle with the youngins.

What do you mean?
----
In any case, med students and undergrads occupy different universes at UVA. Most med students stick to the hospital and the med school; not that many intermingle with the youngins.

First time I visited the city after my interview, I kind of got a very preppy and fraternity-oriented (not meant to be offensive at all) type vibe from the university. I was just wondering if that sort of thing is prevalent in the med school as well.

First time I visited the city after my interview, I kind of got a very preppy and fraternity-oriented (not meant to be offensive at all) type vibe from the university. I was just wondering if that sort of thing is prevalent in the med school as well.
Oh, I see you.

1/3 of the undergrads are in greek life. 2/3 aren't. UVA is a "Southern" school which basically means there is a minor but significant portion of faculty & students that dress like they're headed to the yacht club.

But since med students don't have frats to begin with (and are, I believe, noticeably more diverse than the undergraduate body), I do not think you will not fit in if you don't dress exclusively in pastels. The only time when everyone, med students included, gets fratty is at foxfields, but you'll be too inebriated to care.

I'd suggest you do you, and people will like you for who you are :).

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Charlottesville has all types. When I visited recently I felt that I wasn't cool enough because so many people there had lumberjack beards and sleeve tattoos. I'm scheduled to get a giant Rod of Asclepius tomorrow

But seriously I got the impression that the campus is not a singularly "preppy" place. Many types of students.

Reactions: 2 users
Just withdrew acceptance - Good luck to those on waitlist!

For those who have withdrawn, how do you withdraw? I see no link on their portal. Thanks!

Oh, I see you.

1/3 of the undergrads are in greek life. 2/3 aren't. UVA is a "Southern" school which basically means there is a minor but significant portion of faculty & students that dress like they're headed to the yacht club.

But since med students don't have frats to begin with (and are, I believe, noticeably more diverse than the undergraduate body), I do not think you will not fit in if you don't dress exclusively in pastels. The only time when everyone, med students included, gets fratty is at foxfields, but you'll be too inebriated to care.

I'm headed there in the fall, and I'm one of the least preppy people you'll ever meet. There's just as big of a hipster scene in Cville as there is a frat scene.

I'd suggest you do you, and people will like you for who you are :).
That almost gave me a headache;)

Withdrew my acceptance today. Good luck to everyone!

How is everybody finding roommates? I'm from out of state and didn't get to attend Second Look so I'm not sure how to go about finding people to live with. I'm on the class FB page, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of activity

How is everybody finding roommates? I'm from out of state and didn't get to attend Second Look so I'm not sure how to go about finding people to live with. I'm on the class FB page, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of activity
The class Facebook page has the spreadsheet listed at the top of the page I think.

Does anyone know if there has been movement on the waitlist?

Last edited: