2016-2017 University of Virginia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted this past Friday! Looking forward to meeting everyone :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
The main areas where students live are the Flats apartment building, down 14th St./Madison Ave area, and Jefferson Park Ave. Basically all within walking distance and/or on the bus line. You don't really need to worry about parking near the hospital and med school unless you live far away. It's better to live somewhere that comes with a parking spot/driveway, especially after the first year and a half.
Oh the Flats apartments look nice but they all say join our waitlist for move-in in July :( I'm trying to go with something predictable because I might not be able to get down to UVA again before matriculation.

Oh the Flats apartments look nice but they all say join our waitlist for move-in in July :( I'm trying to go with something predictable because I might not be able to get down to UVA again before matriculation.
There are definitely plenty of other places to live if you want to be in Charlottesville earlier. MSC is another landlord with a lot of apartment listings. You don't need to be moved in until the end of July or beginning of August, as long as you're in Charlottesville for orientation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there some kind of day-before dinner or social? I kind of remember reading that but I can't find any info on it now.

Is there some kind of day-before dinner or social? I kind of remember reading that but I can't find any info on it now.
Not for interviews. Unless you have a student host and made arrangements with them.

Rejected just now pre II. OOS complete mid August

Rejected pre-II :( my first rejection of the cycle, so that kinda bites.

Rejected pre-II an hour ago too. Complete July. Not too bummed, would probably not attend the II anyways. Good luck everyone :)

At the bottom of the rejection email "If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately return it to the sender."

Ok thx will do

Reactions: 10 users
So I didn't get a pre-II rejection with the rest of the wave, but certainly have not received an interview. Anyone know what is going on? Am I the only one still in this boat?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So I didn't get a pre-II rejection with the rest of the wave, but certainly have not received an interview. Anyone know what is going on? Am I the only one still in this boat?
+1

Alternate list, but I think I am going somewhere else anyways so I don't know if I'll stay on it

Accepted earlier this morning!!!! and honestly couldn't be more excited. I was so impressed by this school on my interview day

---------------

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know when classes start this year?

I did not apply in the last cycle, but UVA is one of my highest priority school in my list for the upcoming cycle, even though UVA would be a reach school for me.

I know that UVA gets a ton of well qualified applicants who apply early every year. The problem I am facing is that I am a non-trad applicant and my original plan was to take the MCAT in May 19 (score released June 20). However, the more I study, the less confident I feel about the MCAT, so I am thinking about postponing it to at least June 1 (score released July 6) or even June 19 (score released July 18). I am trying my best to stick to May 19th schedule, but with school final coming up along with hospital work, postponing may be needed. Would I be too late for applying to UVA if my score is sent on 7/18 and my application is complete past mid-July? What are the chances of getting an interview from UVA when your app is complete in July? (My primary should be complete by no later than 6/25, but verification may take some time). I would love some insight from last year's applicants. Thank you so much in advance.

My app was complete the first week of August, because I took the MCAT in July. I received an II in October and was accepted in December (when I interviewed).

You're solid. Take the extra time, study hard, and kill it.

Does anyone know what housing costs per year for a 1bd 1 bath?

Withdrew my acceptance today for top choice. Goodluck to everyone applying!

You can get into the 200s Shamrock/Cherry/Fry's Springs if you're not picky. Never paid that much until my last year when we went for some luxury.
-------------

Last edited:
Has anyone heard any news about merit based scholarships? I doubt I'll get one, but it would be really nice lol

Did anyone else recently get an email saying "You are receiving this email because you are the recipient of a University scholarship" but haven't been notified of any actual scholarship?

Did anyone else recently get an email saying "You are receiving this email because you are the recipient of a University scholarship" but haven't been notified of any actual scholarship?
It's happening. Hoping I get an email.

How long has it taken for people to get their financial aid awards after submitting everything?

I think if you're toward the end of the cycle you |may| have to wait a bit longer (weeks).
How long has it taken for people to get their financial aid awards after submitting everything?

Last edited:

I got mine the same day I was complete. Probably varies based on your situation, your financial aid counselor, or other random things.

Does anyone know why these statistics are so low for UVA? Or is it possible it is a mistake?

Graduates admitted to their first-choice residency program 24.3%
Graduates admitted to one of their top three choices of residency programs 31.6%

Last edited:
Does anyone know why this statistic is so low for UVA? Or is it possible it is a mistake?

Graduates admitted to their first-choice residency program 24.3%
Graduates admitted to one of their top three choices of residency programs 31.6%

I was wondering that too...it seems awfully low

Have any other accepted students not received their financial aid offers yet?

Withdraw from here. Best wishes to everyone!

I just got my financial aid offer, and had things submitted about a week or two ago. As much as I loved the school, I likely will be withdrawing my spot here soon!