2016-2017 University of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you guys think that they will still be offering any interviews?

I kind of doubt it, because mine was scheduled ~2 months out. But if they have cancellations you never know...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

So sad, just found out I was waitlisted also :( This is my first choice, does anyone know what the movement on the waitlist is like?
It's tough to say at the moment. In the past, the in-state waitlist typically moved ~10-20 spots. However, last year they overfilled the class and there was zero waitlist movement. I have no idea how things are going so far this year.

Any reports of merit scholarships being given so far this cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected today via snail mail. This is my only interview, but life goes on.

Damn, that sucks dude[tte]. :( Best of luck with your next step.

Ouch, at least commiserate a bit with them before asking for info...

I interviewed Jan 13th. Good luck to everyone still in the running.

I received the call that I was accepted off the waitlist yesterday- WOW, wasn't expecting that!! They said they were done interviewing and are calling people who have been waitlisted. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
I received the call that I was accepted off the waitlist yesterday- WOW, wasn't expecting that!! They said they were done interviewing and are calling people who have been waitlisted. Good luck to everyone!

Oh man oh man!! CONGRATULATIONS!! I am on the OOS waitlist and want to go here so, so much! I had almost completely ruled it out because they had no waitlist movement last year, but this just gave me hope! Here's to more of us getting off the waitlist!

Reactions: 1 user
I got off of the waitlist yesterday as well!!!! Was not expecting it at all since they said we wouldn't even find out where our position on the waitlist was until early May. I interviewed among the first groups. So honored and excited!!!

Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed on 1/20 and have not heard back yet. If they are already calling people to accept them off the waitlist should I be expecting snailmail for a reject/waitlist letter rather than an acceptance call ....? :/ I know it's probably hard to say but I'm just getting anxious!

Congrats! Would you mind me asking if you're IS or OOS?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can a current M1 comment on how often you have to be physically present at class, on average, with the new curriculum?

I just found out that I was accepted via snail mail. I never received a phone call, but I found received a letter that was dated from February, 22nd. I interviewed on Jan. 27th and this is the first I've heard since my interview. I'm OOS.

I just found out that I was accepted via snail mail. I never received a phone call, but I found received a letter that was dated from February, 22nd. I interviewed on Jan. 27th and this is the first I've heard since my interview. I'm OOS.

LOL the exact same story with me!!

Reactions: 1 users
Can any first year students comment on how they're liking the new curriculum so far?

Can any first year students comment on how they're liking the new curriculum so far?

+1 someone plz respond haha, I don't understand how the new curriculum works and the website isn't very informative

+1 someone plz respond haha, I don't understand how the new curriculum works and the website isn't very informative

Agreed! I'm trying to look at it optimistically, but if I'm being completely honest it doesn't sound very intuitively laid out to me.

I bet if either of you post on the accepted FB page (or PM a current student active on that page), you will get an answer.

Agreed! I'm trying to look at it optimistically, but if I'm being completely honest it doesn't sound very intuitively laid out to me.
Sorry, I'm not sure if there are any M1's that actively check this thread!

the letter says they made few offers to non-residents on waitlist in past 4 years. ideas on how many spots open up if any?

Very few offers are made to those on the OOS waitlist. I don't know the exact numbers, but definitely <10, and very likely close to none.

OOS here who just withdrew...it was a tough decision but I hope one of you will get it!

Are they receptive to LOI or application updates after being waitlisted?

Yes^^

Also can you explain the grading system to me? On their handbook (http://www.med.wisc.edu/files/smph/docs/education/md/student_resources/student-handbook.pdf) it seems about 2% of the class will fail every course. How intense is it with that and the ranking?

They don't "force" people to fail, but the ranking does make it feel pretty intense. To be honest the failing cut off isn't very clear, and because our standard deviations are so tight I think they define failing in a more adaptable way than just by standard deviations, regardless of the "two standard deviations" by-line. But I've also never been worried about failing, so I haven't asked a lot about it. We're all ranked by percentiles, and the standard deviation is really tight, usually. A drop by 1 percentage point can be a lot bigger of a drop in percentile.

They don't "force" people to fail, but the ranking does make it feel pretty intense. To be honest the failing cut off isn't very clear, and because our standard deviations are so tight I think they define failing in a more adaptable way than just by standard deviations, regardless of the "two standard deviations" by-line. But I've also never been worried about failing, so I haven't asked a lot about it. We're all ranked by percentiles, and the standard deviation is really tight, usually. A drop by 1 percentage point can be a lot bigger of a drop in percentile.
Is all of phase 1 P/F?

Is all of phase 1 P/F?

It depends on your definition of pass/fail. You get a percentage score for every test, quiz, etc - anything grade-able. Do we get letter grades? No. You get a percentage, and you see the average score, the standard deviation, and where you fall. At the very end of the whole block, yes it either says "pass" or "fail" on your transcript, and you'll see your percentile ranking. The ranking makes it feel very competitive, IMO.

Is there any possibility of early waitlist movement, or will it definitely not move until after May 15th?

Is there any possibility of early waitlist movement, or will it definitely not move until after May 15th?
The answer to this is always "it depends," since people have the freedom to hold onto acceptances or release them whenever they want before the deadline. Most of the movement tends to come after decision day though

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

I don't really know much about the waitlist. Are you IS or OOS? I think there is less hope for waitlist movement if you're OOS. Also, the current M1 class was overfilled by a lot, so they got a lot of people to defer a year or do an MPH year. I think that probably means the waitlist is even less likely to move.

I am IS and pretty high on the list. I am sure they accounted for those filled spots already, so hopefully there is a little movement.