2016-2017 Wayne State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just saw a dozen interviewees here. If they only knew they're about to get waitlisted!

Tbh, I don't really know but it seems like they're interviewing for the waitlist in February. (based on people here)

Sent from my LG-H918 using SDN mobile
That's what it seems like. Or maybe they didn't get to us at the adcom and we got waitlisted just to get a decision! *wishful thinking*

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just saw a dozen interviewees here. If they only knew they're about to get waitlisted!

Tbh, I don't really know but it seems like they're interviewing for the waitlist in February. (based on people here)

Sent from my LG-H918 using SDN mobile
They're not interviewing for just the waitlist. They don't do that. They are holding on to acceptances much closer though.

As a fellow accepted student, I think our responsibility is to be more encouraging to our fellow potential classmates. We're sitting pretty, there's no reason to fear monger from our position. Respectfully, discouraging posts from us are understandably annoying. Let's refrain out of respect to those who don't yet have good news.

Reactions: 5 users
They're not interviewing for just the waitlist. They don't do that. They are holding on to acceptances much closer though.

As a fellow accepted student, I think our responsibility is to be more encouraging to our fellow potential classmates. We're sitting pretty, there's no reason to fear monger from our position. Respectfully, discouraging posts from us are understandably annoying. Let's refrain out of respect to those who don't yet have good news.
:clap::banana::soexcited::highfive: lEt Us gEt iN !!

Members don't see this ad :)
@bararaboi could comment on how many hours a week are mandatory besides labs ? Do you have any PBL/tbl component in the curriculum? Does the school use nbme exams?

So no decisions besides waitlist has been released??

Being a realist is not fear mongering as I'm simply inferring from previous posts. Being hopeful vs. hopeless means nothing once you're done interviewing.

I wish all of you on the wait-list acceptance emails soon, future classmates.

Traffic day? Sometime in April right?
I believe applicants have to choose one acceptance by April 30th, but most of the WL movement doesn't happen until May 15th. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, April 30th is normally the deadline. Since that falls on a Sunday, some people could get pulled as soon as the following Monday, May 1st. Last year, several people received their acceptance emails on that following Monday. Of course, there's always a chance it's completely different this year.

We get on average 4 hours of lecture a day, with a Thursday or Friday sometimes off with a small seminar or something like that. We haven't had many PBL or TBL's during our first year, but we'll certainly have many during our second one. We have NBME exams at the end of every course. Hope this helps!

EDIT: PBL's and TBL's will make up a larger component of the first year after they change the curriculum, but I don't think they'll be changing it this next year.

@bararaboi could comment on how many hours a week are mandatory besides labs ? Do you have any PBL/tbl component in the curriculum? Does the school use nbme exams?

We get on average 4 hours of lecture a day, with a Thursday or Friday sometimes off with a small seminar or something like that. We haven't had many PBL or TBL's during our first year, but we'll certainly have many during our second one. We have NBME exams at the end of every course. Hope this helps!

EDIT: PBL's and TBL's will make up a larger component of the first year after they change the curriculum, but I don't think they'll be changing it this next year.
Just confirming that the lectures can be watched from home ?

Just got a second look invitation in the mail. There was some talk about essays and scholarships, anyone have any idea what that is ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got a second look invitation in the mail. There was some talk about essays and scholarships, anyone have any idea what that is ?

Last year, for each of the Second Look Days, they gave out $10k/yr, another $5k/year, and another $2.5k/year scholarship for the best essays to a prompt of their choosing. Think about Wayne and you could probably guess the prompt yourself.

Last year, for each of the Second Look Days, they gave out $10k/yr, another $5k/year, and another $2.5k/year scholarship for the best essays to a prompt of their choosing. Think about Wayne and you could probably guess the prompt yourself.
Yeah, that seems like it would be worth it to take a day off to go attend then. Thanks for the insight!

Just wondering, how many hours are generally mandatory attendance? Took a glance at your calendar and it looks like maybe 20%/4 hours on average?

Just wondering, how many hours are generally mandatory attendance? Took a glance at your calendar and it looks like maybe 20%/4 hours on average?

Keep scrolling through the calendar... The truth is it depends on the class. There is no method to it, there is no average. Plan on being there a lot for anatomy/histo (4-5 days a week, anatomy labs are upwards of 3 hours), and a ton for neuroscience with a break (maybe 1 or 2 required events a week) during phys/biochem.

Does anyone know if Wayne is receptive to letters of interest/intent? I know the consensus is they're pretty much meaningless, but I know Wayne likes people who want to go there/show their commitment to the school.

Does anyone know if Wayne is receptive to letters of interest/intent? I know the consensus is they're pretty much meaningless, but I know Wayne likes people who want to go there/show their commitment to the school.

You are on an alternate list. This is the time you throw the kitchen sink at them. Write a strong LOI, update them with recent grades, go to the admissions office and speak to an advisor, go to the office of medical education and ask for a meeting with Dr. Richard Baker, befriend every single one in the admissions committee lol ...Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
You are on an alternate list. This is the time you throw the kitchen sink at them. Write a strong LOI, update them with recent grades, go to the admissions office and speak to an advisor, go to the office of medical education and ask for a meeting with Dr. Richard Baker, befriend every single one in the admissions committee lol ...Good luck!
Gonna throw a Hail Mary and hope for the best!

Anyone else looking forward to the pre-II rejection tomorrow? :annoyed:

Reactions: 3 users
portal updated to wait list. still stings even though i got the email last week.

Next Admissions Committee meeting is March 16th. Good Luck to everyone! Hopefully they start moving the waitlist!

Reactions: 3 users
Is the "alternative list" same as the wait list??

Thank you! Also, it's my impression that they could send out acceptances basically any day from now until May/June (or rest of the summer worst case)? In other words, that there're no preset dates that they send out acceptances?

Thank you! Also, it's my impression that they could send out acceptances basically any day from now until May/June (or rest of the summer worst case)? In other words, that there're no preset dates that they send out acceptances?

Wrong. There's another decision date. Scroll up to see the date. You're asking questions that have already been answered.

Any idea when Wayne starts doing scholarship awards? Interviewed 12/12 and accepted 12/15 so hoping soon!

Gonna throw a Hail Mary and hope for the best!
That's pretty much what my friend did who interviewed October 2015 at Wayne. Still didn't get in, but he says it was worth the effort. He also got another letter of recommendation from a postdoc he worked with in research. Not sure if that's available to you, but any good letter of rec, assuming you haven't gone over the total letter limit, is worth a shot. Another friend of mine, Canadian, interviewed last day in March and was accepted. His one and only interview and acceptance. Go figure.

They've already been allocating them, but allocations continue on throughout until orientation day. Have you completed your FAFSA yet? They won't consider you for scholarships unless you have it filed!
Any idea when Wayne starts doing scholarship awards? Interviewed 12/12 and accepted 12/15 so hoping soon!

I interviewed in October and I received a scholarship offer in December a week or so after I got accepted.

They've already been allocating them, but allocations continue on throughout until orientation day. Have you completed your FAFSA yet? They won't consider you for scholarships unless you have it filed!

I did do my FAFSA. Thanks!

Did pre-II rejections go out yet or are they coming after March 16th? Just want closure at this point.

just informed the school that I won't be going there next year. Hope this allows for some waitlist movement/an acceptance for someone!

Reactions: 8 users
During my II in February I was told that admissions is planning to have a bunch of decisions sent out by March 10th or a few days after. This may be slightly affected because they are planning the match day event for M4's at the same time. I'm not sure where the March 16th date is coming from.

During my II in February I was told that admissions is planning to have a bunch of decisions sent out by March 10th or a few days after. This may be slightly affected because they are planning the match day event for M4's at the same time. I'm not sure where the March 16th date is coming from.

I interviewed Feb. 24th, and during my interview, I was told that I would hear back by the end of this week, March 10th. However, I called the admissions office and they informed me that the committee has not met at all since those interviews were conducted for whatever reason, and the next time they will be meeting is March 16th and we should expect decisions close to the end of March. So, for the people who interviewed at the end of February, it looks like our decision emails will be delayed a couple of weeks.

I interviewed Feb. 24th, and during my interview, I was told that I would hear back by the end of this week, March 10th. However, I called the admissions office and they informed me that the committee has not met at all since those interviews were conducted for whatever reason, and the next time they will be meeting is March 16th and we should expect decisions close to the end of March. So, for the people who interviewed at the end of February, it looks like our decision emails will be delayed a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the info. I also interviewed that day and was not aware it was being pushed back so far. I hope we get some good news in a couple weeks.

WSU SOM m1 here. Not sure if you guys have heard but the school is trying to significantly increase the number of OOS matriculants for the next upcoming class.

Also, I know a lot of you guys are anxious to hear back. From what I hear from talking to my class, the school sends most of the acceptances pretty late. I myself did not get in until mid-May.

Hang in there guys :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
WSU SOM m1 here. Not sure if you guys have heard but the school is trying to significantly increase the number of OOS matriculants for the next upcoming class.

Also, I know a lot of you guys are anxious to hear back. From what I hear from talking to my class, the school sends most of the acceptances pretty late. I myself did not get in until mid-May.

That helps me feel better after being waitlisted (OOS). Thank you for sharing! :)

Reactions: 2 users

I interviewed on the 24th of February as well! I wonder if we met each other that day.

Hang in there guys :)

Class of 2020 is already 45% OOS/International based on data the school presented during orientation. How much more can a public school push that ratio while still meeting state requirements for educating Michigan doctors? I know they are trying to reach out for more OOS applicants, but I doubt they are going to increase OOS seats by that much more. Where have you been hearing this?

Class of 2020 is already 45% OOS/International based on data the school presented during orientation. How much more can a public school push that ratio while still meeting state requirements for educating Michigan doctors? I know they are trying to reach out for more OOS applicants, but I doubt they are going to increase OOS seats by that much more. Where have you been hearing this?
Yeah, interested to know why that would be as well.

Also, quick q for the current students or anyone else in the know--- Does Wayne only allow electives/away rotations to be scheduled in 4th year? Or if you're aiming for a more competitive specialty can you rotate away in 3rd year to get as many aways done as possible before the eras is open in September?

Unsure if you're an M1 here as well. I do remember you posting things on last year's application thread.

We had a mandatory town hall meeting discussing changes at the school. One of the issues they wanted to address was the absurdly high tuition rate for OOS students (roughly $68,000). I believe they're trying to lower the tuition for OOS students by $9,000. In order to do that and keep the curriculum budget the same, they will have to increase the number of OOS students and decrease the number instate students. They also noted that these changes seemed appropriate because Michigan, compared to other states, have a higher ratio of medical school spots (more medical schools) to medical school applicants.

Also, the class profile, which can be seen here, http://admissions.med.wayne.edu/application/class-profiles.php, clearly shows about 25% OOS.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, interested to know why that would be as well.

Also, quick q for the current students or anyone else in the know--- Does Wayne only allow electives/away rotations to be scheduled in 4th year? Or if you're aiming for a more competitive specialty can you rotate away in 3rd year to get as many aways done as possible before the eras is open in September?

Don't quote me but I'm pretty sure it was discussed in my interview that both M3's and M4's are allowed to transfer to another state for rotations. It did seem like it was on a limited basis depending on where you're from. The example they used were med students who originally lived in California. I guess it's fairly common because of the great hospital systems there that can closely follow curriculum guidelines. As far as just wanting to relocate to a new area, I'm not too sure about that scenario.