2016-2017 Weill Cornell Medical College Application Thread

Started by WedgeDawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Don't be scared just finished both interviews it's amazing here the staff is great and the interviews are sooo relaxed they really just want to talk!!! Excited to meet some students


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Any tips on where to stay? Most things I see need more $$$ than I have at this point in the process...


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rejected. Oh well, it was probably the biggest reach on my list. Bye Cornell, I would have loved to interview here but I guess there are too many great candidates. No hard feelings.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rejection-600x399.jpeg


LM 70-75; mid-July
 
Sorry to all who were rejected, but did your status change on the portal, or was it simply an email? I am just sitting here waiting for my rejection lol
 
Sorry to all who were rejected, but did your status change on the portal, or was it simply an email? I am just sitting here waiting for my rejection lol
You get an email, and on the portal it says that an admissions decision has been sent to you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It'll make you fall in love with the school which makes the ensuing rejection in March all that more difficult.

They have a 39% post-II acceptance rate though, doesn't get much better than that for the top 20.

I'm worried about falling in love and then needing to eat the cost of living in NYC... I usually try to book an Airbnb within walking distance of the school, but I saw people posting living room couches there for $150+/night and thought "what am I getting myself into?" 😱
 
They have a 39% post-II acceptance rate though, doesn't get much better than that for the top 20.

I'm worried about falling in love and then needing to eat the cost of living in NYC... I usually try to book an Airbnb within walking distance of the school, but I saw people posting living room couches there for $150+/night and thought "what am I getting myself into?" 😱
This school is definitely worth the $$$ though.
 
They have a 39% post-II acceptance rate though, doesn't get much better than that for the top 20.

I'm worried about falling in love and then needing to eat the cost of living in NYC... I usually try to book an Airbnb within walking distance of the school, but I saw people posting living room couches there for $150+/night and thought "what am I getting myself into?" 😱

The rent (utilities included) is only ~$750/month for their dorms for the first year (~$950/month for the 2nd-4th year apartments). That's insanely cheap when you compare the price of that rent with many other schools located in urban areas (e.g. Northwestern in the super nice part of Chicago, UCSF/Stanford in the bay area, Columbia for a not so nice area, heck you're not even gonna find that many places cheaper to rent in Baltimore near Hopkins/UMaryland after you factor in utilities)

Take a look on MSAR at the estimated cost of attendance of various schools, and you'll notice that Cornell is one of the lowest cost schools in a big city (aside from public schools for in-staters). They also have practically no merit based aid, so they are extremely generous with their need-based aid.

Of course, NYC is a very expensive city to live in, but the reduced cost of tuition/fees/rent really does even the playing field by giving you all the goods that NYC has to offer without having to chew up all the costs in the big picture of things
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rejection 🙁 complete in late July and 70ish LM so it was a reach....kind of bummed since I literally have an update that I was getting ready to send them...
 
Anybody know if they are receptive to an in the area email? I will be in NY for another interview in mid-November and would like to know whether it is worth asking.