2016-2017 West Virginia University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Honestly, I wasn't going to go but then they did 50% of ticket prices so I got the ticket dirt cheap. I am waiting to hear back from my top choice tomorrow, if that works then I won't.

If you have no accepts, FOR SURE GO!!

edit: I think I read wrong: Sounds like you have other accepts but are waiting on top choice. If WVU would be in the running with other schools I would go, but once that top choice comes through might as well withdraw app if there is no chance you would attend. Then again, you bought the ticket.. might as well check it out

Members don't see this ad.

ImageUploadedBySDN1484862661.487301.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Honestly, I wasn't going to go but then they did 50% of ticket prices so I got the ticket dirt cheap. I am waiting to hear back from my top choice tomorrow, if that works then I won't.
Where did you get the ticket???

Members don't see this ad :)
Multiple accepts usually means stronger applicant which usually means higher chance at scholarship. I have received a couple and am trying to leverage them, but may be fools errand

I wouldn't even interview at a place where I wouldn't go. And I have turned down interviews already.
And the people that received those II because of your cancellation would surely thank you. If you haven't been keeping up, I'm talking about those that are holding spots just because they can....not because of scholarship money.

Can we be considerate to everyone that gets notifications please
emoji51.png

I think there is a way to turn them off lol and you'll only get one if you don't check it. I would gladly finish up this convo if people would stop attacking me.
I have never heard a school say that a candidate is stealingsomeone's spot by holding an acceptance. That is not how this process works. Schools give out 1.5-3x more acceptances than spots. How does that correlate to stealing a spot when there are more acceptances than spots?

I think going on interviews when there is 0% chance you are going to go to the school is inconsiderate to other candidates. I have withdrawn from a couple of interviews because I know I would not attend it over the current schools I have been accepted at. I interviewed and was accepted at WVU early in the cycle. I paid money to apply and travel, and I sure as hell am going to wait to see if I get a financial aid package from the school before I make a decision. I do not feel bad at all.

I understand it is frustrating to be on a wait list, but calling people inconsiderate when they are weighing options is pretty ridiculous
If a school has 300 seats available, person A holding spot 299 is not allowing person B or C or whoever to occupy that spot. So if person A is just taking up that spot and if they know they won't be attending, that is inconsiderate to all other students, right? This is the story that all of us are trying to explain and you guys take it any which way you like. I already previously stated I understand the money argument as does everybody else but all we ask as that you give up your spot to the schools you won't be attending as soon as you know. That is all we're saying. If you're sitting with 5 acceptances just because you can but you know which school you want that is the inconsiderate part.

Reactions: 1 user
And the people that received those II because of your cancellation would surely thank you. If you haven't been keeping up, I'm talking about those that are holding spots just because they can....not because of scholarship money.

I think there is a way to turn them off lol and you'll only get one if you don't check it. I would gladly finish up this convo if people would stop attacking me.

If a school has 300 seats available, person A holding spot 299 is not allowing person B or C or whoever to occupy that spot. So if person A is just taking up that spot and if they know they won't be attending, that is inconsiderate to all other students, right? This is the story that all of us are trying to explain and you guys take it any which way you like. I already previously stated I understand the money argument as does everybody else but all we ask as that you give up your spot to the schools you won't be attending as soon as you know. That is all we're saying. If you're sitting with 5 acceptances just because you can but you know which school you want that is the inconsiderate part.
Scholarship money hasn't been finalized yet so your criticism doesn't make sense.

I don't think that anyone is purposely holding a spot to be inconsiderate to anyone. There are many reasons to hold onto acceptances and make the right decision for oneself/family. This is a life changing decision and one needs to weigh all of the possible options. That includes waiting until all financial aid package are out, which for many schools does not happen until March/April.

If I was sitting here like "WOW I HATED WVU, I AM GOING TO HOLD ONTO THIS ACCEPTANCE IN SPITE OF THEM AND EVERYONE ELSE WHO WANTS TO GO THERE JUST BECAUSE", then we would have a problem. But I loved the school and it is high on my list. Do I think I will end up matriculating there? Most likely not, but there is a chance and I am going to wait until I have a full picture before I make a decision.

Scholarship money hasn't been finalized yet so your criticism doesn't make sense.
Coming from the person that criticized those without multiple acceptances, thank you. Again, I'm talking about those people holding spots just because they can....let me reiterate. I'm talking about those people that are for instance holding 5 spots and they already know which one they want
I don't think that anyone is purposely holding a spot to be inconsiderate to anyone. There are many reasons to hold onto acceptances and make the right decision for oneself/family. This is a life changing decision and one needs to weigh all of the possible options. That includes waiting until all financial aid package are out, which for many schools does not happen until March/April.
There are many people out there holding onto acceptances just because they can so I wouldn't feel strongly about this unless I have witnessed it.

@libertyyne @Frogger27 I have made my point and you have yours. Congrats to both of you on getting accepted multiple places - that is a huge accomplishment. For those that haven't received an acceptance - I wish you luck in your endeavors and future acceptances. We would all appreciate some sort of "put yourself in my shoes" but clearly that isn't going to happen today - application processes are difficult and competitive but being mindful of other people and their situation is something I think we all agreed on at some point in this conversation and if not, lol i wish you luck in med school that'll be a tough one for you. It was nice talking to you all and hearing your "sides" and critiques but see ya. Maybe we'll run into each other on another thread (hopefully not for the sake of others) but yeah good luck guys

@premed574

Our point was that most schools do not even begin looking at the wait list until at/after April 30th. At that point they see how many spots they have and fill it. That was the point in saying students with multiple accepts are not "stealing someone's spot.". There would be no movement until around April 30th anyways. There are very few schools who actively review wait list and pull people off through out the cycle.

But best of luck to you, and sorry this thread got so off topic

Does anyone know if WVU ranks their waitlist? If so, are we ever able to call and find out where we are ranked?

...So aside from the travesty of this page, if anyone accepted is looking for a roommate let me know. I've been looking around at Georgetown and Copperfield, but I'm flexible and easy to live with.

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone is going to be the type of ultra-competitive gunner medical student who thinks others 'just don't work hard enough' or 'it's their own fault they're struggling', you won't be happy at WVU. You'll find a great fit somewhere else.

Reactions: 4 users
I have never heard a school say that a candidate is stealingsomeone's spot by holding an acceptance. That is not how this process works. Schools give out 1.5-3x more acceptances than spots. How does that correlate to stealing a spot when there are more acceptances than spots?

I think going on interviews when there is 0% chance you are going to go to the school is inconsiderate to other candidates. I have withdrawn from a couple of interviews because I know I would not attend it over the current schools I have been accepted at. I interviewed and was accepted at WVU early in the cycle. I paid money to apply and travel, and I sure as hell am going to wait to see if I get a financial aid package from the school before I make a decision. I do not feel bad at all.

I understand it is frustrating to be on a wait list, but calling people inconsiderate when they are weighing options is pretty ridiculous

+1. Like many others in this thread, I was waitlisted here, my first choice. It is the one MD school that was kind enough to interview me despite my both non-traditional and OOS status. However, it isn't incumbent upon currently accepted applicants to make hasty decisions to open up spots to people like myself who are looking to get off of the wait list. To those who are accusing accepted students of needlessly holding spots, you are being unreasonably arrogant. A spot in medical school is neither guaranteed nor owed to anyone. We have to earn it, and if someone else has earned it before we have, then congratulations to him/her. They have every right to take their time before making a sound, reasoned decision.

If that means that others of us have to wait a little longer, then so be it. They earned the acceptance. We didn't. At least, not yet.

Reactions: 6 users
I'm not sure if this is an optimal time to ask this after reading all of that ^ but, does any one know how I should go about giving up my acceptance spot? I can't seem to find anything on the portal

I'm not sure if this is an optimal time to ask this after reading all of that ^ but, does any one know how I should go about giving up my acceptance spot? I can't seem to find anything on the portal
I would email them. The ladies that run the operations seemed nice enough.

Reactions: 1 users
+1. Like many others in this thread, I was waitlisted here, my first choice. It is the one MD school that was kind enough to interview me despite my both non-traditional and OOS status. However, it isn't incumbent upon currently accepted applicants to make hasty decisions to open up spots to people like myself who are looking to get off of the wait list. To those who are accusing accepted students of needlessly holding spots, you are being unreasonably arrogant. A spot in medical school is neither guaranteed nor owed to anyone. We have to earn it, and if someone else has earned it before we have, then congratulations to him/her. They have every right to take their time before making a sound, reasoned decision.

If that means that others of us have to wait a little longer, then so be it. They earned the acceptance. We didn't. At least, not yet.

I'm not really sure how many times I have to reiterate and clarify my point. I'm talking about those that have already made that "sound, reasoned decision" you are talking about. Some people have made that decision and have chosen to keep their spots for the other schools for zero reason. If you could read the conversation in its entirety before calling me, and many others, arrogant that would be great. Again this conversation ended last week so if we could not drag along this disagreement AGAIN that would be great.

Does anyone know if WVU ranks their waitlist? If so, are we ever able to call and find out where we are ranked?
yes, you received a numerical score when the adcom assesses you, and that number makes your place in rank. your rank will not be disclosed to you.

womp. wait-listed. I know it's common for OOS especially, so I'm not going to give up hope :)

I don't know the inner workings I just know a friend of mine got excepted off the list and wanted to report it so you guys know and give everybody hope

Well that's awesome! I'm glad they started movement early. Here's to hoping!

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

Can confirm, we were told at our interview.
You were told at your interview that they would start movement off the waitlist around this time? If so, that's great. I figured we would be waiting until late April or beginning of may to see any movement

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

From what I've read on threads for other schools, receiving an email placing you on the waitlist that contains the phrase "favorably impressed" implies higher ranking on the waitlist. Is this true at WVU?

From what I've read on threads for other schools, receiving an email placing you on the waitlist that contains the phrase "favorably impressed" implies higher ranking on the waitlist. Is this true at WVU?

I thought that was something they wrote in all waitlist emails to make us feel better. Did anyone recieve one without "favorably impressed"?

Waitlisted, but I did expect it being OOS. Fingers crossed though!

Sorry if this has been posted before, but what is the best way to send an update letter? I checked the portal and it doesn't look like there is anywhere to upload a letter.

Sign into Portal, Under "View Checklists" it gives you the option to upload a letter.
upload_2017-2-2_11-24-1.png

really? i was notified of alternate status but my email doesn't mention those words at all.... ruh roh.. do we know ANYTHING about how their wait list works?

really? i was notified of alternate status but my email doesn't mention those words at all.... ruh roh.. do we know ANYTHING about how their wait list works?
I cannot say for sure if "favorably impressed" means something at WVU, but I can say that my waitlist letter said that last year and I was not accepted off the waitlist. My waitlist letter this year also said "favorably impressed" so who knows.

Do we know when they will start movement off the waitlist/ when they meet to discuss it?

Do we know when they will start movement off the waitlist/ when they meet to discuss it?
have the people on the waitlist done any research on general waitlist movement for WVUSOM?

So from what I have read, the most movement happens around the deposit deadlines. So it will move some in mid march and again in late may/early june. I have read that this school tends to have a lot of movement, but there is really no way of predicting percentages because it all depends on who takes a seat at another school. We basically just have to stay hopeful.

I read from a different forum that they discuss the WL every time they meet, but also that the most movement occurs in June. I have a good friend at the school who told me one student was accepted TWO weeks before school started.

I read from a different forum that they discuss the WL every time they meet, but also that the most movement occurs in June. I have a good friend at the school who told me one student was accepted TWO weeks before school started.
MSAR says 50 ppl offered admissions off of the waitlist last year. pretty substantial, considering small class size of 110

MSAR says 50 ppl offered admissions off of the waitlist last year. pretty substantial, considering small class size of 110
They told us 212! They opened a few new buildings last year and doubled their class size almost.

I had my interview on Monday. They only have 110 seats, so I'm not sure what they were referring to with 212? They were telling us their wait list isn't ranked and so they can't necessarily tell you where you are on it, but that they meet each time and "several factors" go into pulling people off the wait list, not just their "scores" which is why it's not ranked.

I had my interview on Monday. They only have 110 seats, so I'm not sure what they were referring to with 212? They were telling us their wait list isn't ranked and so they can't necessarily tell you where you are on it, but that they meet each time and "several factors" go into pulling people off the wait list, not just their "scores" which is why it's not ranked.
thinking the person above was referring to the osteopathic school is WV

I think you are confusing two threads.
Sorry If I confused everyone, yes i was talking about WVSOM!! Im hella new to SDN so I'm like figuring out what all this means, i literally googled "OOS" lol

Where did you interview, sorry thought we were talking about WVSOM...? I was there monday!

Sorry If I confused everyone, yes i was talking about WVSOM!! Im hella new to SDN so I'm like figuring out what all this means, i literally googled "OOS" lol
No problem, the thread you are currently in "2016-2017 West Virginia University application thread" is for the MD school in Morgantown. The other thread you've been posting in "West Virginia SOM (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017" is for the DO school in Lewisburg.

Different schools, different threads.

No problem, the thread you are currently in "2016-2017 West Virginia University application thread" is for the MD school in Morgantown. The other thread you've been posting in "West Virginia SOM (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017" is for the DO school in Lewisburg.

Different schools, different threads.

lol yea got it

could someone send a link to the accepted students facebook page? thanks