-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2017-2018 Boston University
Started by gyngyn
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Deferred via email 3:57 pm. I'm heartbroken. Anyone knows the odds of getting an acceptance in March after a deferral? And when exactly should we expect to hear back in March? Waiting for two more months just to live through the past 48 hours again- hopefully with better news this time around.
Anyone know how many they accepted this time around? I remember them saying it was 1/3 of total accepted now, and 2/3 of total accepted in March
They told us the same thing on my interview day
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Deferred via email 3:57 pm. I'm heartbroken. Anyone knows the odds of getting an acceptance in March after a deferral? And when exactly should we expect to hear back in March? Waiting for two more months just to live through the past 48 hours again- hopefully with better news this time around.
Someone please correct me if I’m wrong, but at my interview in early September, we were told that a few are accepted in January, and that the bulk of their acceptances (including initial deferrals) come in March during the second decision release day.
This is true. Idk why so many deferred applicants are saying how heartbroken they are? Guys! Our odds just went up! Just wait a bit and be sad in march if it doesn't work out!Someone please correct me if I’m wrong, but at my interview in early September, we were told that a few are accepted in January, and that the bulk of their acceptances (including initial deferrals) come in March during the second decision release day.
yeah im literally happy hahahaha :/
This is true. Idk why so many deferred applicants are saying how heartbroken they are? Guys! Our odds just went up! Just wait a bit and be sad in march if it doesn't work out!
Accepted via email around 3:45 eastern. Yeet yaw family.
Deferred
Accepted! Great way to start the year!
Either SDN is super selection bias or 99% of people got accepted and like half of that deferred
I know right? Not hearing a lot of rejections makes me wonder what my chances are being in the Deferred pile... then again people just might not be posting.
We got this though. EVENTUALLY we will get in somewhere at some point if we don't give up. I interviewed in October and it's looking like it's going to be a long wait and I don't have any acceptances yet.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First my interviewer tried to call me, couldn't reach me, so he emailed me and later my portal was updated following an official letter.how’d you find out?
Got an acceptance email today at 5pm so I guess they are going out slowly?
ACCEPTED VIA EMAIL! Got it from Dean Witzberg. Still in disbelief. 

Deferred as well. I think I remember Dr. Witzburg saying that in January they accept few, reject some, and defer many?
Yeah, that's what he said. On my day he was pretty clear that you're much more likely to get rejected than accepted in this round of decisions.
Last edited:
Got an acceptance email today at 5pm so I guess they are going out slowly?
Same, mine came late last night.
Wow merit scholarship!!
Wow merit scholarship!!
+1
MhmWait, what?? Y’all just got an email saying you got a merit scholarship?!
Same here!
Same here! Did you all get the Dean’s Scholarship, $10,000 per year?Same here!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does any one know if the merit/dean scholarships are based off of a certain minimum GPA?
I dunno, but my guess is that it's based on the fact that the January admittees are the ones the school is most excited about. That's probably part GPA, part MCAT, part intangibles.Does any one know if the merit/dean scholarships are based off of a certain minimum GPA?
People who've interviewed here, when should I book my return flight? Would 4-5 pm be ok or cutting it close? I'm not from around here so not sure how close BU med is from the airport or how bad the traffic is during rush hour.
I think that would be cutting it too close given that the airport is pretty far, there’s been a big storm, and you should arrive at the gate at least an hour early. I think it took me about 30 min to get from the airport to the campus via Lyft with moderate traffic.
Dean's scholarship was $5,000/ yr for me. Congrats on scoring $10,000 per year!Same here! Did you all get the Dean’s Scholarship, $10,000 per year?
Ok glad I asked haha. The email said the day ends around 3pm, then there's some optional thing from 3-4. Can anyone who's interviewed here tell me what the optional thing is and is it worth attending? If I leave around 4, 45 minutes should be enough to get to the airport (it's only around 6 miles on google maps but 4pm is the middle of rush hour) so I'll book my return flight around 6 or 7 pm.
Didn’t attend the optional thing/don’t even remember what it was going to be about. Still got in. I’m sure if you wanted to know more about whatever it was they talked about, someone will be more than happy to provide you with that info if you can’t attend.
Ok glad I asked haha. The email said the day ends around 3pm, then there's some optional thing from 3-4. Can anyone who's interviewed here tell me what the optional thing is and is it worth attending? If I leave around 4, 45 minutes should be enough to get to the airport (it's only around 6 miles on google maps but 4pm is the middle of rush hour) so I'll book my return flight around 6 or 7 pm.
You should book 6-7 or later. I live in Boston and in the city, rush hour starts around 4ish. In moderate traffic, Uber gets to the airport in ~20-30mins. Plus its peak winter season right now so give yourself a solid extra 1-2 hours. I also didnt attend the optional session, tbh everyone I was with was pretty tired (the interview day starts at 7am and its basically a long stretch of lectures and Q&A sessions)
It’s about diversity group on campus. Totally optional.Do you remember what the optional session was about?
Diversity talkDo you remember what the optional session was about?
Something about diversity and inclusion, most of the other interviewees were out of state and they left at 3 after all the mandatory stuff was doneDo you remember what the optional session was about?
When does Boston stop interviewing?
mid-feb
Could a current M1 please describe what a typical week is like?
Thanks!
Thanks!
^bumping this
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, I've interviewed and been deferred here, have an acceptance at another school I really like and am waiting to hear from 3 other interviews. But something about this place really just clicked for me, and a lot of my life is in Boston (college community, girlfriend, love the city, etc.). I sent some updates in mid/late December (so I think they probably weren't seen in the first round), but now am heavily weighing a letter of intent. I remember Dean Witzburg voicing his approval of a LOI after sufficient time has passed to make that decision, but do people think that this sort of communication could really make a difference in the 2nd round of decisions?
So, I've interviewed and been deferred here, have an acceptance at another school I really like and am waiting to hear from 3 other interviews. But something about this place really just clicked for me, and a lot of my life is in Boston (college community, girlfriend, love the city, etc.). I sent some updates in mid/late December (so I think they probably weren't seen in the first round), but now am heavily weighing a letter of intent. I remember Dean Witzburg voicing his approval of a LOI after sufficient time has passed to make that decision, but do people think that this sort of communication could really make a difference in the 2nd round of decisions?
I'm in a very similar situation. I went to BU for undergrad, I know this city and the population very well, and my girlfriend is here too. I'm not sure it will help, but certainly it can't hurt to write a Letter of Intent. I think I'll write one anyway and submit it in the next couple of days.
Yeah, about an hour ago.Did everyone get the email just now verifying contact info?
My heart stopped. But then I remembered decisions are coming out in March.Yeah, about an hour ago.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K