2017-2018 Creighton University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any girls wanna share a uber/hotel 10/28? :hardy:

Members don't see this ad.

Any girls wanna share a uber/hotel 10/28? :hardy:
Probably not what your looking for, but if you signed up to stay with a current med student, they place you by gender preference. Your med student will also pick you up and drop you off at the airport. Just food for thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
Judging from the relative quietness of this thread, do you still I still have a chance if I submit my secondary right now? LizzyM~70. I hope i'm not too late

Man, Creighton is starting to make me feel bad about myself. I even go to their undergrad :(

Hello all. I have 2 secondaries left to complete (well 1, I decided I have no shot at UMD). I was considering adding 1-3 schools in its place. Is it too late to apply here, especially with low stats?

OOS, 3.5 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA, 506 MCAT, URM

Probably not what your looking for, but if you signed up to stay with a current med student, they place you by gender preference. Your med student will also pick you up and drop you off at the airport. Just food for thought.
I wasn't aware of this opportunity, so I really appreciate this. Thanks!

Hello all. I have 2 secondaries left to complete (well 1, I decided I have no shot at UMD). I was considering adding 1-3 schools in its place. Is it too late to apply here, especially with low stats?

It may be a little late, but something in your application may want them to look at you as a possible student. If you really like the school, you may want to give it a shot. The way I look at it is that if you don't apply you have absolutely no chance of getting in. I applied mid August and haven't heard anything so far, so maybe they are going slow. I finished my last secondary on 9/6, was tempted to apply to Miami Miller, but the sheer number of essays deterred me. Now, I wish I had applied. So, don't have regrets :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It may be a little late, but something in your application may want them to look at you as a possible student. If you really like the school, you may want to give it a shot. The way I look at it is that if you don't apply you have absolutely no chance of getting in. I applied mid August and haven't heard anything so far, so maybe they are going slow. I finished my last secondary on 9/6, was tempted to apply to Miami Miller, but the sheer number of essays deterred me. Now, I wish I had applied. So, don't have regrets :)

I agree 2 of my 3 IIs were at schools I didn't think I had a chance at. Go for it this process is so unpredictable.

So please do not take this as doctrine at all because as others have said, medical school applications are a complete crap shoot that make almost no sense. With that being said, I submitted nearly all of my secondary essays between October and December and somehow got into a few MD's including my now wonderful home of Creighton. Your stats are actually not as "low" as you might think especially since Creighton is typically a mission driven school, especially if you are an URM as defined within the medical field. I'd absolutely submit a secondary here and try your luck. Are your odds great? No, to maximize odds you should submit very early on. However there is always a chance.

Reactions: 1 user
You submitted in October at the earliest for Creighton and got in? Do you mind me asking what your stats were? I submitted my secondary back in July and have heard nothing. My stats are pretty similar to the above poster but better gpas, not by much. Creighton is my number 1 by along shot for a lot of reasons, plus I have a ~6 friends already attending Creighton Med.

I have a question about updates. I'm starting a new volunteering role this upcoming week where I will help mentor/teach inner city middle school students with their science fair projects. It's a once a week thing and goes from Sept-late January I think.

When does one update the portal with this info? I feel like this is significant for my app as I have some nonclinical volunteering but only 75hrs or so. Am I allowed to update when I start (like October 1st?) or do I have to wait some time before I update? I would also add more hours I did with my Special Olympics volunteering as its nonclinical also, just not sure when to send it in/whats appropriate timing

I have a question about updates. I'm starting a new volunteering role this upcoming week where I will help mentor/teach inner city middle school students with their science fair projects. It's a once a week thing and goes from Sept-late January I think.

When does one update the portal with this info? I feel like this is significant for my app as I have some nonclinical volunteering but only 75hrs or so. Am I allowed to update when I start (like October 1st?) or do I have to wait some time before I update? I would also add more hours I did with my Special Olympics volunteering as its nonclinical also, just not sure when to send it in/whats appropriate timing

I think you should absolutely update this, but do it when you have something to share about it. Instead of saying this is a cool thing that I'm going to be involved with, I feel it would be much more useful to list the ways in which you feel it is made you a stronger applicant/connected you to the mission of Creighton.

I think you should absolutely update this, but do it when you have something to share about it. Instead of saying this is a cool thing that I'm going to be involved with, I feel it would be much more useful to list the ways in which you feel it is made you a stronger applicant/connected you to the mission of Creighton.

Yes I definitely agree, it starts this week, I'll probably update later in October or something I just don't want to wait too long and like get rejected in the mean time but I doubt it'll make that much of a difference anyway

Hey everyone! Quick question: did everyone get an email the same day they submitted their secondary that said their app is complete and, if so, is that the final complete email we need for our app to be reviewed? I was complete as of 8/18 according to that e-mail and still have not heard back. Online they say you should hear back within 3-4 weeks, and this is the beginning of the 6th week since my submission so I'm not sure if that's a bad sign or if they are just taking longer than anticipated. Thank you!

Hey everyone! Quick question: did everyone get an email the same day they submitted their secondary that said their app is complete and, if so, is that the final complete email we need for our app to be reviewed? I was complete as of 8/18 according to that e-mail and still have not heard back. Online they say you should hear back within 3-4 weeks, and this is the beginning of the 6th week since my submission so I'm not sure if that's a bad sign or if they are just taking longer than anticipated. Thank you!
I submitted 7/5 and have heard nothing. Worrying about it won't change whatever the outcome is, so just sit back and try not to worry so much.

Has anyone else who interviewed already notice that their status disappeared? When I click "view status" there is nothing above the term and it used to say "your application is ready to be forwarded to the admission committee".

Has anyone else who interviewed already notice that their status disappeared?
Last year we noticed that if this occurred, where the status was missing, it meant that the Admissions Committee had made a decision on your application and that you'd be receiving a decision within the next few days. However, since it's before October 15th it doesn't matter too much because that's the first day they can send out any decisions.

Last year we noticed that if this occurred, where the status was missing, it meant that the Admissions Committee had made a decision on your application and that you'd be receiving a decision within the next few days. However, since it's before October 15th it doesn't matter too much because that's the first day they can send out any decisions.
That's helpful, thank you!!

Starting to get really nervous about Creighton. I am an undergraduate here and I have not heard anything from them. My secondary was submitted ~7/18. Does anyone know the % of II have gone out yet and if there is still plenty of time? I know I am being neurotic but almost all of my friends from Creighton that applied have already had thier interviews.

Do they send out secondary requests easily? I applied last night and already received one this morning

I have a question about the October 15th date. This might be overly eager but oh well. Since Oct 15 is on a Sunday, should we moreso be expecting to hear back the day after?

I have a question about the October 15th date. This might be overly eager but oh well. Since Oct 15 is on a Sunday, should we moreso be expecting to hear back the day after?
Yeah. The date this year is October 16th. I think it was October 15th last year.

Just interviewed here recently. Meh experience overall. Everyone at the interview seemed laid back, so that's a plus. Biggest turn off were the facilities. The facilities at the school are pretty much a dump. Very outdated overall. But hey, it's an MD school.

I doubt it, even though you completed your interview. The admissions committee still probably needs to reconvene to look at your entire application and factor in your interview performance. Some medical schools have a weekly meeting, some have a monthly meeting. You'll probably learn more at the interview itself but I don't think they will have made the decision that quick for you. Maybe the week of, if they happen to reconvene and meet that week but I would assume within the following month if anything.

The facilities at the school are pretty much a dump. Very outdated overall.
I know that they don't always do a great job of showcasing them on the tours during interview day, but the clinical facilities at Creighton are almost brand-new this year. They just opened the sim center this summer and the affiliated hospital (Bergan Mercy) was newly renovated this year, as well as a new free-standing emergency department and clinic across the street from the medical school campus. The only thing that is pretty outdated would be the lecture hall, which can be a bit dreary sometimes but it's also a lecture hall and there isn't much updating that can be done. It's a pretty big disservice to call it "a dump".

Also, about my earlier comment about October 15th, I forgot it was a Sunday so yeah they won't send out anyone's decisions until the next business day, which would be October 16th this year. Most people who have already interviewed will probably get a response right around then, but for future interviews coming up it'll probably be delayed a week or two because of the rolling admission decisions.

I know that they don't always do a great job of showcasing them on the tours during interview day, but the clinical facilities at Creighton are almost brand-new this year. They just opened the sim center this summer and the affiliated hospital (Bergan Mercy) was newly renovated this year, as well as a new free-standing emergency department and clinic across the street from the medical school campus. The only thing that is pretty outdated would be the lecture hall, which can be a bit dreary sometimes but it's also a lecture hall and there isn't much updating that can be done. It's a pretty big disservice to call it "a dump".

Also, about my earlier comment about October 15th, I forgot it was a Sunday so yeah they won't send out anyone's decisions until the next business day, which would be October 16th this year. Most people who have already interviewed will probably get a response right around then, but for future interviews coming up it'll probably be delayed a week or two because of the rolling admission decisions.

Yes there's a new hospital building but that's only when your on rotations. The showed us the lounges (alright, but not great) as well as the anatomy lab, which was literally a dump.

I was also complete on 8/18 and I received my complete email on 8/31. Every school's timelines for getting back to you is pretty wonky. If you're waiting to hear about whether they're deciding to interview you it might be a while.

You submitted in October at the earliest for Creighton and got in? Do you mind me asking what your stats were? I submitted my secondary back in July and have heard nothing. My stats are pretty similar to the above poster but better gpas, not by much. Creighton is my number 1 by along shot for a lot of reasons, plus I have a ~6 friends already attending Creighton Med.

I'd say I was a fairly standard Creighton applicant. OOS, Non-URM, GPA and MCAT right at or maybe a hair above average. Idk how but yes I somehow managed allopathic acceptances submitting that late (and creighton was towards the end of that window...) Once again I am definitely not the normal admissions case, just saying anything is possible. Med school admissions are 50% qualifications 50% luck.

Yes there's a new hospital building but that's only when your on rotations. The showed us the lounges (alright, but not great) as well as the anatomy lab, which was literally a dump.
Agreed our lecture halls aren't great but the beauty is that most lectures aren't mandatory so I'm Team Panopto4LIFE. (I watch lectures from the comfort of my house).

Anatomy lab seems very standard from what I've seen on my other interviews but I'll conceed that its not super new. To counter the view that the anatomy labs are a dump, how nice should a room be that serves as the sole purpose of housing cadavers and dissections? We don't exactly need comfy arm chairs and 60in plasma screen TV's but once again I get it, not a flashy room.

We get clinical outings starting first year so you do get exposure to our clinics and Bergan. Plus when you say Bergan is "only on rotations" I hope you understand that means over 50% of your medical school experience will be at a hospital that received tens of millions of dollars in renovations, which I would say is fairly rare. Just food for thought.

For OOS students who have interviewed here already, where did you put your luggage during the interview day? I am interviewing here soon but just noticed in the email they sent that the admissions office will not store any luggage.

For OOS students who have interviewed here already, where did you put your luggage during the interview day? I am interviewing here soon but just noticed in the email they sent that the admissions office will not store any luggage.
I had my host hold onto my luggage for me if you ever got the information to apply for host housing.

You could always see if your hotel could hold your luggage temporarily. Most hotels will provide such service.

Ehh about 150 on my primary and since then I’ve done about 50 more. I just know they are huge on service or at least so I have heard
As frustrating as this is, you just need to give it time. Interview cycle goes until March so you still have plenty of months to hear back. Also your hours aren't bad at all volunteer wise given that 150 are primary care focused (which is big to them). Just gotta give it time man. Best of luck!

If we interviewed in September should we expect to hear back on Monday then?

Good luck to everyone expecting to hear back tomorrow!