2017-2018 Creighton University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I submitted my application on 7/12, however just got an email that my application is not yet complete. Has any one else gotten this or should I be emailing/calling the Office of Medical Admissions?

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted my application on 7/12, however just got an email that my application is not yet complete. Has any one else gotten this or should I be emailing/calling the Office of Medical Admissions?
I received that email last week. I called, and they said they didn't have a "non-science" LOR for me on file, but it was because one of my LORs is an administrator that I took a leadership class with. They asked to make sure I got a grade and credit hours for the class and since I did they said I was "golden." Might be a similar situation with yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
LizzyM 71.5
I am in love with this school from what I've read so far! Hoping for an II

Does the process to confirm you are complete really take 3-4 weeks? I just submitted my secondary and my letters are there since like 7/28 (I submitted primary here then even tho I was verified 7/21 and letter were in AMCAS 6/28)

I love this school so much that I'll happily take an anatomy class if I get accepted :)

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone wants to know about my stats:

Completed on 7/28
3.94 science GPA
507 MCAT
Just got the II this morning

Reactions: 2 users
II this morning! Complete 7/25, OOS traditional applicant, ORM, 4.0/513

Reactions: 6 users
Got an email this morning and was excited given the recent string of IIs..

It was a reminder that my committee hadn't submitted my letter yet :D

Submitted! Hope it doesn't take forever to get the complete e-mail....

Former Creighton graduate and current UNMC resident. Feel free to ask any questions you have about Creighton. I think it was a great place to be a medical student and am still close friends with many of my classmates. The people and cooperative environment of Creighton were the main draws I had to school. There are always multiple people willing to help you out at any given time no matter the circumstances. Creighton also does a great job preparing students to be excellent clinicians as they transition to residents. I still feel a weakness of Creighton is availability to research opportunities, especially in surgical subspecialties, but the clinical preparedness of Creighton graduates is very strong. Creighton will prepare you very well for residency and it was a relatively easy transition for me from being a 4th year student to being an intern. I also have enjoyed Omaha (even enough to stay here several more years) and feel it is a very underrated city. The food is awesome and the nightlife is better than you'd expect. Plus the airport is awesome and you're close to several different big cities. Creighton has undergone a lot of transition with the closing of the old CUMC and the move to Bergan, but I honestly don't think that the medical student experience will suffer at all since there have been student rotations at Bergan for many years now. Plus the administration is committed to helping students succeed, and the faculty physicians are very good with student education. Creighton is a great place to learn medicine and will more than prepare you for any specialty. Definitely feel free to contact me with any questions

Reactions: 5 users
Submitted my app on 7/26, and got a complete e-mail today! Like some others have said, I got an "incomplete" yesterday because of the non-science LOR. My major was exercise science and most schools only consider traditional sciences as science letters. My non-science teacher was exsci, but it was not a science course that I took with him. I had called about it before submitting my app, but of course the computer doesn't know that. Admission staff was super nice and fixed it, complete e-mail a day later. Fingers crossed for II! I never thought I'd be interested in living anywhere in Nebraska but the more I researched the school the more I knew I had to apply. Hoping for the best :)

For those that received IIs, was September the earliest interview date? Looks like they started interviewing in August last year.

Anyone know if Creighton offers any leeway in the non-science LOR requirement for non-trads?

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know if Creighton offers any leeway in the non-science LOR requirement for non-trads?

I would try asking the ADCOM. They're pretty nice and will let you down gently if they say no

I was wondering the same thing because I was complete 7/8.
I believe they do not do silent rejections. I distinctly remember that most of my friends last year who were rejected were told so straight up.
Also, chillax. Application cycle just started and runs till April so you have plenty of time to hear back. It seems like torture at the time, but you just gotta go with the flow.

I believe they do not do silent rejections. I distinctly remember that most of my friends last year who were rejected were told so straight up.
Also, chillax. Application cycle just started and runs till April so you have plenty of time to hear back. It seems like torture at the time, but you just gotta go with the flow.

Thank you. I was just wondering:) Also, I'm a reapplicant I know what applying to med school involves.

Hey everyone, Congrats to those of you who got interviews already! to those of you who are perhaps still waiting don't fear the application process is just beginning.

I decided to write a brief post about interviewing at Creighton since several people messaged me asking so.
It was hands down my best interview but be ready for a bit of walking. They usually have some pretty awesome food for lunch on the day of the interview and I highly advise going to the M0 dinner to learn more about the class and see that there are actually things to do in Omaha.

The interviews are traditionally incredibly low stress and are basically just a conversation. They truly just want to meet you and get to know you. In the past there were two interviews 1 faculty and 1 student, each about half an hour.

Some more practical advice for the interview:
1. Be yourself. Creighton has already decided your qualified and that should be a huge relief. The interview is simple, do they think you'd be a great fit to our family (and yes as cheesy as it sounds they do try to make it into a family).
2. Always answer questions and don't lie. If your not catholic, don't make up a story about how you want to go to Creighton because your catholic and its Catholic Jesuit affiliated. Also do not avoid questions. If they say "Tell me about X" do not proceed to tell them about Y.
3. Know common sense med interview questions. Things like Why this school, why medicine. They'll probably ask but so will every medical school and honestly if you can't answer why Creighton and why a physician you probably shouldn't be going to medical school at all.
4. Approach every interview with the mindset that you are interviewing them. Schools need to convince you that you belong. Ask questions, learn about the curriculum. I strongly encourage you to ask about grading systems, curriculum lay out, and other activities/components of the curriculum.

Hope this is mildly helpful and to those of you still waiting for your interview or who haven't submitted yet, don't fret there's always a chance! Best of luck with the app cycle.

Reactions: 7 users
If I submitted early July is it likely I've been passed over for interviews? It seems like they are reviewing late July submissions?

If I submitted early July is it likely I've been passed over for interviews? It seems like they are reviewing late July submissions?

No. It's still very early and I think that they still have many interviews to give out. Don't fret!

I doubt it. Just have some patience and try to enjoy your last year before medical school.

Current student here. For all the people who submitted and haven't gotten interview invites yet, it's still early! Submit updates as often as you have them, keep a line of communication, and be very interested in the program. Creighton l o v e s when people go the extra mile and show genuine love and interest in the program and volunteering. They're all about that. Students at Creighton are notorious for being active in their communities while in undergrad and as medical students (I think our average was 12 club/volunteering experiences before med school graduation lol). I didn't get an interview until Jan/Feb, and I submitted my application in August back when I applied. Don't give up this early in the game. :)

Reactions: 3 users
Current student here. For all the people who submitted and haven't gotten interview invites yet, it's still early! Submit updates as often as you have them, keep a line of communication, and be very interested in the program. Creighton l o v e s when people go the extra mile and show genuine love and interest in the program and volunteering. They're all about that. Students at Creighton are notorious for being active in their communities while in undergrad and as medical students (I think our average was 12 club/volunteering experiences before med school graduation lol). I didn't get an interview until Jan/Feb, and I submitted my application in August back when I applied. Don't give up this early in the game. :)

What would you consider warrants and update? I will most definitely have update worthy stuff but not until like December. I'll have a class grade, publication, more volunteer hours etc. I work full time in research so between now and when I finish my one night class the only thing I'm doing is having more volunteer hours but idk when I would update that since it's on my application, maybe in lile October? I just don't know if that's worth an update

What would you consider warrants and update? I will most definitely have update worthy stuff but not until like December. I'll have a class grade, publication, more volunteer hours etc. I work full time in research so between now and when I finish my one night class the only thing I'm doing is having more volunteer hours but idk when I would update that since it's on my application, maybe in lile October? I just don't know if that's worth an update

I believe on the application portal there are several places you can add updates. It's all categorical, at least it was when I was applying a few years ago. Any time something new happens, I guess that's when you'd update. You can say you're working on such and such publication at work. You can say what you're still involved with in October in terms of volunteer and research and any updates to those activities.

CONGRATS ON THE II's!!!

I'm sorry for the spammy post in the school specific threads :( - but I wanted to plug my interview invite tracker! If you haven't seen it, I'm compiling data on the current application cycle to reproduce planeblue's exercise (Planeblue's Interview Invite Tracker) and get some info on GPA/MCAT, IS/OOS, and URM/ORM for those receiving invites. Maybe we can use it to help future applicants build better school lists!

If you'd like to add info on your interview invite to Creighton and any others and haven't already, fill out the Google Form here - 2017/18 MD Interview Invite Tracker

You can find the responses and various summaries in my sig!

If you have already - a tremendous thanks to you!

Also, for those who haven't received an II yet - hang in there! It is still incredibly early and there are plenty more invites coming our way!

Like Medcat9 said, I personally updated any new significant extracurricular, new leadership positions if one was acquired in the new school year, research updates (I updated for a prezi, a pending pub, and an accepted publication). I also updated certain skill orientated things where I was awarded a certificate (like an EMR/EMT cert or something commiserate). Grades for the fall semester will be an easy update come December/January. I'm pretty sure I was actually asked about something that I updated Creighton on during my interview so they're going to read whatever you send them.

Like Medcat9 said, I personally updated any new significant extracurricular, new leadership positions if one was acquired in the new school year, research updates (I updated for a prezi, a pending pub, and an accepted publication). I also updated certain skill orientated things where I was awarded a certificate (like an EMR/EMT cert or something commiserate). Grades for the fall semester will be an easy update come December/January. I'm pretty sure I was actually asked about something that I updated Creighton on during my interview so they're going to read whatever you send them.
I started volunteering in an ICU unit in July. Should I update CUSOM on this? It wasn't on my primary application. Thank you :)

I started volunteering in an ICU unit in July. Should I update CUSOM on this? It wasn't on my primary application. Thank you :)
There really aren't any hard or fast rule to updates. If you think it is something new that adds to your application go for it. It's definitely not going to make or break you. I personally feel that certificates, research updates (prezi's and pubs) and grades would be a bit more meaningful. That being said, if you are lacking in clinical volunteering hours I'd absolutely update it.

There really aren't any hard or fast rule to updates. If you think it is something new that adds to your application go for it. It's definitely not going to make or break you. I personally feel that certificates, research updates (prezi's and pubs) and grades would be a bit more meaningful. That being said, if you are lacking in clinical volunteering hours I'd absolutely update it.

Thanks @McNerdy!