2017-2018 Eastern Virginia Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Briefly describe your exposure to medicine.
What do you think you will like best about being a physician?
What do you think you will like least about being a physician?
Describe yourself and your medical career as you see it ten years from now.
Please indicate your reasons for applying to EVMS.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
On the MSAR, it says, "Application review begins... June 26, 2017." Good luck everyone! And may the odds be ever in your favor!

Prewriting secondaries for this one since they've been the same the past couple of years.

"Describe yourself and your medical career 10 years from now"
So... i'm a ___, ____, ____ individual who can see myself in ___? is that what this is asking?

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Prewriting secondaries for this one since they've been the same the past couple of years.

"Describe yourself and your medical career 10 years from now"
So... i'm a ___, ____, ____ individual who can see myself in ___? is that what this is asking?

thanks

I plan on approaching it by talking about my passions and background of those passions then moving into how I see them fitting into medicine (e.g. rural primary care, academic neurosurg, military psych, etc.)

Also here are what the prompts were the last couple of years if anyone else was wondering:

2,000 characters each:
Briefly describe your exposure to medicine

Any current/future students care to comment about their love for EVMS? Also can anyone comment on the demographics of the area? Based on admittedly minimal research, it looks like there's a fair share of income/health disparities in the area.

Does anyone know if EVMS still only takes biology lab classes (no research labs) for the 1 year of biology lab requirement?

Hey, guys! I'm a rising M2 who loves it here and I'll be happy to answer any questions that arise to the best of my ability. :) Otherwise, best of luck with your app cycles!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey, guys! I'm a rising M2 who loves it here and I'll be happy to answer any questions that arise to the best of my ability. :) Otherwise, best of luck with your app cycles!

I thought you were at VCU! Haha oops. If you also got into VCU (because you are IS, right? I think I remember reading that somewhere) or the other VA schools, why did you choose EVMS over the others?

Just reading through the last couple year's threads and came across this:

"For OOS screen: minimums of 3.45 sGPA and 508/509 MCAT "

"Just got off the phone with EVMS. For both IS and OOS, they screen at 27 MCAT/503 as a MINIMUM, though to be competitive, they want 505-507. I'm not sure how that applies for OOS. OOS min gpa is 3.45 for both IS and OOS"

So, somewhere in that ballpark. Just as a heads up!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I thought you were at VCU! Haha oops. If you also got into VCU (because you are IS, right? I think I remember reading that somewhere) or the other VA schools, why did you choose EVMS over the others?

Hahaha you probably associate me with VCU because of how frequently I posted in the thread complaining about the fact that it took them until January to review my primary. :p But we're (mostly) over that now.

Anyway, I was WLed and ultimately rejected there so EVMS was the only IS state I was accepted at. The only other school I was accepted at is Drexel, but their tuition was almost twice as much without being a significantly better school so the decision was a no-brainer... and that's why I chose EVMS haha. :) But I'm very okay with how everything turned out.

/walks into this thread late with Starbucks--oh good, looks like @mcatjelly is already here at least :D
I am also a rising M2 so feel free to ask questions or pm me--general rule of thumb is that mcatjelly is IS and I am OOS so if you have questions specific to that, feel free to direct them to us accordingly!

Reactions: 1 users
For the question:

Do you think they want the ONE thing I will like or can i break it up into 3 things that I would enjoy?

Members don't see this ad :)
I took it as one and wrote ~ 1000 characters. I looked through some of the old threads and it seems others did the same. I wouldn't say having multiple is wrong though!

For the question:

Do you think they want the ONE thing I will like or can i break it up into 3 things that I would enjoy?

Either is fine!

how does EVMS look at graduate school gpa? / factor that into the screening process?

"OOS min gpa is 3.45 for both IS and OOS"

@mcatjelly @rukia013 could one of you please address this? this goes pretty counter to MSAR data.
I am unfamiliar with the minimum GPA if there is a cut-off for OOS/IS so your best bet would be to give the admissions office a call! They are super friendly people and if you have any questions about the application and requirements your best answer would be from them :)

I am unfamiliar with the minimum GPA if there is a cut-off for OOS/IS so your best bet would be to give the admissions office a call! They are super friendly people and if you have any questions about the application and requirements your best answer would be from them :)

Great will do, thanks very much for the reply

Also can anyone comment on the demographics of the area? Based on admittedly minimal research, it looks like there's a fair share of income/health disparities in the area.

This is very accurate.

Does anyone know if EVMS still only takes biology lab classes (no research labs) for the 1 year of biology lab requirement?

No research labs, to my knowledge, but they do accept AP and CLEP credit for Bio. I'll be starting in a few weeks having never set foot in a single Bio class.

Just reading through the last couple year's threads and came across this:

"For OOS screen: minimums of 3.45 sGPA and 508/509 MCAT "

"Just got off the phone with EVMS. For both IS and OOS, they screen at 27 MCAT/503 as a MINIMUM, though to be competitive, they want 505-507. I'm not sure how that applies for OOS. OOS min gpa is 3.45 for both IS and OOS"

So, somewhere in that ballpark. Just as a heads up!

cGPA, sGPA, or both?

Anyone get the secondary here yet?

Secondary received yesterday.
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

would you mind posting the questions? are they the same as last years posted above?

would you mind posting the questions? are they the same as last years posted above?

I can't access the questions until I input all of my pre-reqs, so I'll post them this evening if someone else doesn't!

ugh that is the worst. thanks, and good luck!
I just did it and it was the worst thing ever, I input all of them (most likely some are incorrect).

Briefly describe your exposure to medicine.

Yep, questions are the same!

Secondary received! :0

Last cycle they screened OOS at 508 but I'm quite a ways below that. We'll see how it goes!

Still no secondary :(

Basically my top choice school - rural IS, LizzyM 69-70

Pre-secondary rejection :(

Feels bad, best of luck with the continued cycle on this one fam.

Ick, still haven't gotten a secondary sorry to hear it. Stats?

Stats are meh, LM is in the range of 66-70. Don't stress man, you got this..STAY POSITIVE!!! Tag me when you get a secondary so I can congratulate you ;)

+1. No harm done though. Just means our skills will be reallocated at a different school!:)

Sorry to hear, but you'll def have luck elsewhere don't let this get you down. Did they notify you via email?

Sorry to hear, but you'll def have luck elsewhere don't let this get you down. Did they notify you via email?

Indeed it was via email earlier today. Was my first pre-secondary rejection, stings a little but have to keep pushing through

How hard do they screen? Do most applicants get a secondary?

How hard do they screen? Do most applicants get a secondary?
I'm don't know exact details, but it seems last year's screen has been lowered. I received one yesterday OOS with a 507.

I'm don't know exact details, but it seems last year's screen has been lowered. I received one yesterday OOS with a 507.

I have a 507 OOS and got screened out. GPA is 3.46 so maybe thats it I don't now.

Do you think its a waste to apply OOS with a 3.33 and a 515? I have an upward trend with 3.67 last 2 years, just poor first 2 years. I don't want to apply if I get rejected presecondary as that's a waste of money.

I have a 507 OOS and got screened out. GPA is 3.46 so maybe thats it I don't now.
Hmm, I'm not sure how they're screening then. My GPA is ~3.6, but I'm also from a bordering state, who knows what they consider.

Hmm, I'm not sure how they're screening then. My GPA is ~3.6, but I'm also from a bordering state, who knows what they consider.
Could be the boarder state that helps. I'm an Illinois resident, although I attended college and lived in a boarder state the past five years. Who knows exactly what they're screening out.