2017-2018 Eastern Virginia Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I live and go to school down the street from EVMS, so I've been able to go to a couple of events of theirs. They aren't kidding when they talk about community focus. I would like to see how many hours of volunteering those who are getting screened had. My guess is, based on some of the lower stats that are getting II's, they're screening based on volunteering and ec's.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone that has submitted their secondary, have you guys been marked complete yet? I submitted on the 15th, but I'm still waiting on my app to be marked complete.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone that has submitted their secondary, have you guys been marked complete yet? I submitted on the 15th, but I'm still waiting on my app to be marked complete.
Yeah I think I was complete the same day I submitted. They're probably just waiting on your LORs.

Members don't see this ad :)
secondary submitted! now I wait...

Yeah I think I was complete the same day I submitted. They're probably just waiting on your LORs.
Hmm interesting, I've had my LORs uploaded since late June, I guess they may run on like a "once a week pull letters from AMCAS"?

I'll give it one more day, if not, I guess I can call them. Don't know why it was taking so long. I don't have to separately do anything right? They should be able to just pull the letters from AMCAS?

Hmm interesting, I've had my LORs uploaded since late June, I guess they may run on like a "once a week pull letters from AMCAS"?

I'll give it one more day, if not, I guess I can call them. Don't know why it was taking so long. I don't have to separately do anything right? They should be able to just pull the letters from AMCAS?
Yeah you shouldn't have to do anything else /: definitely give them a call if your letters have been up since June.

Mine still says: Thank you for submitting your Supplemental Application. Your payment has been successfully received and you will be notified when your file is complete.

Received 7/10, submitted 7/20.

Reactions: 1 users
The portal still says that I'll be notified when the app is complete but I did receive the email from admissions telling me they've completed my app and it will be going under review.

Great thanks so much. My portal says the same thing but I have yet to receive any follow up emails! Alrighty, that's enough for now then! Thanks so much you two!

The portal still says that I'll be notified when the app is complete but I did receive the email from admissions telling me they've completed my app and it will be going under review.

I'm assuming this is what we'll see unless we receive an email with an II? @mcatjelly is this how it worked last year? I can't say I'm opposed, if so. It saves me from the compulsive checking of portals.

I'm assuming this is what we'll see unless we receive an email with an II? @mcatjelly is this how it worked last year? I can't say I'm opposed, if so. It saves me from the compulsive checking of portals.

I know it's how it worked two years ago! Once you've received notification that you're complete, you won't get any new updates unless it's an II or a rejection.

Can confirm that you get a separate complete email after that status.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does the 2000 character limit include spaces?

I've fallen behind on my secondary applications due to work/personal problems and tomorrow (7/28) will be exactly 2 weeks from the day I got my secondary invite. I can probably finish and submit it by Sunday, 7/30.

I don't mean to sound crazy, but do you all think that if I don't get my secondary in within two weeks I'm hurting my chances? I know that the official deadline is 30 days from your secondary invite but I've heard from a couple different places that if you don't get it in within two weeks it shows you aren't "committed" and you're hurting yourself.

I'm OOS and not an URM.
I don't think you're necessarily hurting your chances (you should still apply and get your secondary in as soon as you can). My thought process is as long as you optimize the quality of your secondaries, you still have a shot. It's still July, and a good number of people haven't even gotten their primaries in. I'd stop worrying and just go for it! :)

Not sure of how many IS people are active on this forum, but when completing that section on the secondary, does anyone know how to enter more than one address for the "where have you lived for the past two years" question? I've moved to a new city since graduating in May 2016, and was only prompted to fill in one address section.

Not sure of how many IS people are active on this forum, but when completing that section on the secondary, does anyone know how to enter more than one address for the "where have you lived for the past two years" question? I've moved to a new city since graduating in May 2016, and was only prompted to fill in one address section.

I believe there is a section where you fill in the date range, if it's less than the two years, another section pops up for another address.

I believe there is a section where you fill in the date range, if it's less than the two years, another section pops up for another address.

That's what I thought would happen, but nothing popped up for some reason. Maybe they're just curious to know where you had lived up to two years before possible matriculation instead of just July '15 - July '17. Thanks!

Last edited:
Grad student here. Anybody know how necessary the advisor/thesis director LOR is? My program is non-thesis and we don't communicate much with the advisor. I have a letter from a faculty member in my program and was wondering if that would be enough. No word from admissions yet and its been 2 weeks.

How long did it take people to get secondary? I know the screen but I'm not sure how long

Grad student here. Anybody know how necessary the advisor/thesis director LOR is? My program is non-thesis and we don't communicate much with the advisor. I have a letter from a faculty member in my program and was wondering if that would be enough. No word from admissions yet and its been 2 weeks.
Personally, I would get a LOR from them. EVMS has an SMP and the program administrator writes every student a LOR as they apply to medical school. Not entirely positive if they 100% stick to their guns, but that's just my 2c. I'd reach out if you're unsure.

Maybe reach out to the faculty member and see if they can write up a letter that the administrator can add to and sign?

Admissions is easiest to reach via phone call and they're super nice when it comes to answering any and all of your questions so I'd reach out to them via call rather than email.

I'm enrolling in an SMP in August and they asked me to get a letter verifying my enrollment and completion date before my application was considered complete. They also said they would ask for a letter of progress later in the cycle. So if you're already in your program I would say the letter is probably required. I'd email/call to ask about the advisor vs. faculty member issue though! Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Personally, I would get a LOR from them. EVMS has an SMP and the program administrator writes every student a LOR as they apply to medical school. Not entirely positive if they 100% stick to their guns, but that's just my 2c. I'd reach out if you're unsure.

Maybe reach out to the faculty member and see if they can write up a letter that the administrator can add to and sign?

Admissions is easiest to reach via phone call and they're super nice when it comes to answering any and all of your questions so I'd reach out to them via call rather than email.

I'm enrolling in an SMP in August and they asked me to get a letter verifying my enrollment and completion date before my application was considered complete. They also said they would ask for a letter of progress later in the cycle. So if you're already in your program I would say the letter is probably required. I'd email/call to ask about the advisor vs. faculty member issue though! Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Update: Thanks for the help. They do accept from faculty members that are not your thesis-director. You still need 3 other LOR on top of that.

Reactions: 1 users
Does EVMS accept pre-II updates? I couldn't find anything on their website/application emails.

Do I have any chance with MCAT 505 GPA 3.7 IS

Does anybody have an II here yet?
Has anybody else been asked to send proof of VA resident status?

Does anybody have an II here yet?
Has anybody else been asked to send proof of VA resident status?
Yes I was asked to send proof in an email. I talked to Kerry Jones (the one who handles residency status cases), and she said it doesn't keep your app from being reviewed, its just for in-state tuition purposes. They like to do it now rather than later.

Yes I was asked to send proof in an email. I talked to Kerry Jones (the one who handles residency status cases), and she said it doesn't keep your app from being reviewed, its just for in-state tuition purposes. They like to do it now rather than later.

Do you really think they do that for all 1k IS applicants? That's a lot of unnecessary work, it seems like.
I was hoping maybe it was an indication that my app was being considered.....

Do you really think they do that for all 1k IS applicants? That's a lot of unnecessary work, it seems like.
No unfortunately I don't think it means your app is being considered (could be wrong -- I'd be happy too!)....when I talked to her it seemed like there was a red flag that made her question my residency status (she didn't know my high school was a boarding school so she had assumed I lived in a different state other than VA for 4 years), so she emailed for residency proof. Once I explained it was a boarding school, it cleared things up. Hope this helps!

No unfortunately I don't think it means your app is being considered (could be wrong -- I'd be happy too!)....when I talked to her it seemed like there was a red flag that made her question my residency status (she didn't know my high school was a boarding school so she had assumed I lived in a different state other than VA for 4 years), so she emailed for residency proof. Once I explained it was a boarding school, it cleared things up. Hope this helps!

I too was asked for proof of residency and I have lived in VA my whole life, went to school at a high school that partnered with EVMS, and have been treated for medical illnesses by EVMS doctors so I really think they just ask all IS students for proof of residency. I don't think it has anything to do with getting an interview.

Is it only me? I typed in everything into my application, yet when I check the preview & signature page, it appears empty.

I received a phone call to apply and I was honest with them that I didn't believe I'd even make their screen (OOS 3.3 GPA, 505 MCAT) but I was told I was right on the border but my experience was noteworthy and in the end I received a secondary. This could be attributed to my URM status as well but may be worth it?

I ended up getting one today OOS 3.3 and 515 so who knows how it works

I too was asked for proof of residency and I have lived in VA my whole life, went to school at a high school that partnered with EVMS, and have been treated for medical illnesses by EVMS doctors so I really think they just ask all IS students for proof of residency. I don't think it has anything to do with getting an interview.
Yeah, I've lived in VA my whole life but I wasn't asked to prove my in-state residency. Who knows hahaha.

Did anyone receive an additional email saying that their file is complete after submitting secondary? The app portal says that they will notify me once my file is complete, and I submitted my app last week. No emails yet.

Did anyone receive an additional email saying that their file is complete after submitting secondary? The app portal says that they will notify me once my file is complete, and I submitted my app last week. No emails yet.

Mine took about 10 or so business days. I wouldn't fret!

Yeah mine took like a week.. and then I received it again a couple weeks after that haha

worth applying here with 3.44/3.19 gpa/sgpa 519 MCAT and extensive research? From NC if that matters

Hey dude, quit blowing up my notifications and make a damn WAMC.
ahh shoot sorry. I was posting so I would receive notifications from these threads and also hoping to get some feedback at the same time, but it didn't occur to me that other user's would get blasted like that. My bad, won't happen again

Reactions: 3 users
ahh shoot sorry. I was posting so I would receive notifications from these threads and also hoping to get some feedback at the same time, but it didn't occur to me that other user's would get blasted like that. My bad, won't happen again
Now I feel bad.....

Now I feel bad.....
looks like the ol' "acknowledge misstep with overly apologetic reply" strategy is working, now's my chance to ask him what he thinks of my chances! But seriously no need to feel bad, I appreciate the honesty because now I won't make that mistake again

You can click "Watch Thread" at the top of the page

Reactions: 2 users