2017-2018 Eastern Virginia Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
EVMS is not pass/fail curriculum correct? Is it harder to do well in their school and get into residency programs compared to students that follow a P/F curriculum?

Members don't see this ad.

EVMS is not pass/fail curriculum correct? Is it harder to do well in their school and get into residency programs compared to students that follow a P/F curriculum?
EVMS is H/HP/P/F but NOT curved ie. if everyone gets honors, then everyone gets honors. The faculty /wants/ everyone to succeed and do well and be able to accomplish their goals and we have a great academic development team to assist students who may be struggling or need advice/suggestions on how to improve if they are not meeting their goals.

Also, all exams are NBME to help prepare us better for Step1

Reactions: 1 users
EVMS is H/HP/P/F but NOT curved ie. if everyone gets honors, then everyone gets honors. The faculty /wants/ everyone to succeed and do well and be able to accomplish their goals and we have a great academic development team to assist students who may be struggling or need advice/suggestions on how to improve if they are not meeting their goals.

Also, all exams are NBME to help prepare us better for Step1

Oh really? I thought they were grade percentages! Huh guess I heard wrong...

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh really? I thought they were grade percentages! Huh guess I heard wrong...
You do get grade percentages on exams, quizzes, assignments, etc. but these are converted to H/HP/P/F in the grade book (that way you can still see your actual scores and bring up any issues with faculty if there's a discrepancy before it is put into the transcript). Hope this clears up the confusion!

You do get grade percentages on exams, quizzes, assignments, etc. but these are converted to H/HP/P/F in the grade book (that way you can still see your actual scores and bring up any issues with faculty if there's a discrepancy before it is put into the transcript). Hope this clears up the confusion!

Okay, so it's not harder to do well in EVMS compared to other schools right? I was under the impression that EVMS students were more stressed out because of their curriculum structure

Okay, so it's not harder to do well in EVMS compared to other schools right? I was under the impression that EVMS students were more stressed out because of their curriculum structure
I think the bulk of our stress is due to the new curriculum still being improved on but in general we're pretty chill here. You eventually get used to having a "baseline" level of stress (as you would with any med school I would like to think) and everyone that I've interacted with has learned to adapt and cope :)

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted this morning! OOS, ORM.

I need to decide between EVMS and another school. I feel like I still don't know enough about EVMS to make a decision. Would anyone mind giving me some insight? (I made a school X vs Y thread: Rush Medical College vs EVMS) I'd like to decide ASAP so that I can open up spots for other waitlisted applicants. Appreciate all the help!

Congratulations to you, especially since you're in such a privileged position to choose among different schools to attend. In which third of the waitlist were you placed?

Ended up withdrawing after much deliberation. Hope someone takes my spot.

Congratulations to you, especially since you're in such a privileged position to choose among different schools to attend. In which third of the waitlist were you placed?
Thanks! I was top third, OOS. I ended up withdrawing. Hope that acceptance goes to someone who needs it!

I am planning to apply to EVMS this cycle but on their website it says "Applicants must have taken the MCAT and completed a minimum of 100 semester hours". I am a junior I have only completed 92 hours, should I bother applying or will I be screened out?

I am planning to apply to EVMS this cycle but on their website it says "Applicants must have taken the MCAT and completed a minimum of 100 semester hours". I am a junior I have only completed 92 hours, should I bother applying or will I be screened out?

I would call the admissions office.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, for anyone who's watching this thread, I got off the waitlist at EVMS yesterday. They told me when I was placed on the waitlist that I was in the top third. I'm OOS as well. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Reactions: 4 users
Right? It's all been out of state...I'm seriously losing hope here
Yeah since traffic day there's been like less than 5 IS applicants who were pulled off. I knew that the OOS waitlist moves more than IS, but not by this much.

Random question for the current medical students-- how is the dress code for M1 and M2? I understand business casual and white coats are required for a few things (shadowing, special guest lectures, mock patients...), but are we allowed to dress comfortably for everything else? I'm pretty much covered for business casual, as I wore it almost exclusively when scribing and attending class full-time. Would it be wise to invest in some more comfortable clothes as well?

Ladies especially, what would you recommend for us incoming female M1's, and what should we avoid?

Random question for the current medical students-- how is the dress code for M1 and M2? I understand business casual and white coats are required for a few things (shadowing, special guest lectures, mock patients...), but are we allowed to dress comfortably for everything else? I'm pretty much covered for business casual, as I wore it almost exclusively when scribing and attending class full-time. Would it be wise to invest in some more comfortable clothes as well?

Ladies especially, what would you recommend for us incoming female M1's, and what should we avoid?
M1 and M2 years are really chill and you can p much wear whatever you want outside of clinical skills/shadowing/preceptor mentorship program--I wore jeans and sneakers to almost everything and sported a side shave during all of M2 year and no one cared.

Definitely get a pair of comfy but nice looking flats since those are perfectly fine for professional attire (I don't own any heels and got by perfectly fine without needing a pair), and avoid skirts that are shorter than mid-thigh (to be on the safe side, I think my shortest skirts go just above the knee and nothing higher). Basically just exercise good judgement about what is professionally appropriate. When in doubt, just err towards the side of modesty and you'll be fine :)

M1 and M2 years are really chill and you can p much wear whatever you want outside of clinical skills/shadowing/preceptor mentorship program--I wore jeans and sneakers to almost everything and sported a side shave during all of M2 year and no one cared.

Definitely get a pair of comfy but nice looking flats since those are perfectly fine for professional attire (I don't own any heels and got by perfectly fine without needing a pair), and avoid skirts that are shorter than mid-thigh (to be on the safe side, I think my shortest skirts go just above the knee and nothing higher). Basically just exercise good judgement about what is professionally appropriate. When in doubt, just err towards the side of modesty and you'll be fine :)

In a month, how many days would one spend shadowing/patient care (real or simulated) as a MS1/2?

In a month, how many days would one spend shadowing/patient care (real or simulated) as a MS1/2?
Clinical skills sessions with the SP's vary with the module (there are more during M1 year than M2 year) and I'd say roughly 3-4 times on average per month (it's really not a lot). There may be more if you choose to shadow, volunteer at HOPES, etc. but these things are optional. You'll have a bit more hands-on with real patients during LGM (longitudinal mentorship program) which spans M1 spring and M2 fall semesters and I think between the two semesters you spend about 9-10 sessions with your preceptor, and have at least 3-4 patient encounters per session.

Last edited:
For current Students at EVMS, What is the PEP program? I searched the website but couldn't find any information on it.

For current Students at EVMS, What is the PEP program? I searched the website but couldn't find any information on it.
Pretty sure its for students who need extra help preparing for exams. You get targeted study sessions with the professor to make sure you're on track.

I think you can request to be in the PEP program, but most people get placed in it if they fail a test. They stay in the program at least until they pass the next block exam.

The only thing I would add on to Rukia's post is that while we don't have to do business clothes, people generally dress decently for class. Jeans, shorts, t-shirts, and even the occasional bro-tank are acceptable, but I hardly ever see people wearing straight workout clothes. In the library, especially close to exams, no one will judge you.

Really just adding this for anyone still creeping/deciding between schools. I'd say having the H/HP/P/F system added a little bit of stress at the beginning of the year because we're use to looking at it as a gauge of whether or not we'll get in to med school. Eventually a nice M2 will explain that the pre-clinical grades have very little standing in residency match program (according to the NRMP Program Director Survey - Main Residency Match Data and Reports - The Match, National Resident Matching Program), and that our grades are really just to help direct our studies for when the true test (STEP) comes around. Once you accept that, the stress kind of flows away when you don't get that honors or high pass you were shooting for.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone have news if there is waitlist movement? Really crossing my fingers for EVMS!
I’ve been told by admissions that waitlist movement has slowed considerably. And honestly with how big their waitlist is to begin with, I wouldn’t get your hopes up

I’ve been told by admissions that waitlist movement has slowed considerably. And honestly with how big their waitlist is to begin with, I wouldn’t get your hopes up
When did you talk with admissions?

It seems like there should still be some movement. A few people withdrew the other week and no new waitlist acceptances have been posted on here. Of course, those people might not be on SDN but I’m staying hopeful for a few more weeks even though the movement has begun to slow down.

Pretty sure its for students who need extra help preparing for exams. You get targeted study sessions with the professor to make sure you're on track.

I think you can request to be in the PEP program, but most people get placed in it if they fail a test. They stay in the program at least until they pass the next block exam.

Thank you for clarifying !

Don't want to be that person, but it looks like it has indeed slowed down a lot :(. Was trying to stay optimistic, haha.

There are still people joining the accepted students FB group, but it’s impossible to say when they were admitted, or if they are even in the 2022 class, and there are 225 people, way more than the class. But I would guess the strongest conclusion is that there are more people coming off the waitlist than are announcing it on SDN—which we already knew.

There's definitely some Med Masters and Med students in there as well. My advice would be to send them an update. All of my updates on my community service resulted in good news (II, then acceptance). Maybe this was just a coincidence, but my own anecdotes and feelings indicate it helped!

I was waitlisted and then I sent an email a few weeks later to tell them about my new part time job, teaching children. The email person said I should write back with a more formal description so it could be added to my file. I kinda didn’t feel like doing it and a few days later I got off the waitlist. I feel like updates aren’t as important as applicants want to feel they are, but n = 1 here, so yeah, load update cannons and fire for effect.

There's definitely some Med Masters and Med students in there as well. My advice would be to send them an update. All of my updates on my community service resulted in good news (II, then acceptance). Maybe this was just a coincidence, but my own anecdotes and feelings indicate it helped!
Yes, I'm confirming that the Facebook group members are a lot of med masters and med students (like 50 % if not a little more lol).

Thanks to everyone who clarified the dress code!

Could any current students speak to how easy it is to find research opportunities here? Do they go over some of the main topics at orientation or should we just email professors once we have a grasp on juggling it all (classes, research, clinical opportunities) together?

I was wondering this as well! They did mention a pediatric summer research program, but I'm not sure of what other opportunities may be available to students during the year.

Accepted this afternoon! Interviewed January, Waitlisted January (top 1/3), letter of intent sent February. IS, white male, Lizzy ~70.

Reactions: 3 users
Could any current students speak to how easy it is to find research opportunities here? Do they go over some of the main topics at orientation or should we just email professors once we have a grasp on juggling it all (classes, research, clinical opportunities) together?

It's not difficult to find research! Professors are very amenable to being emailed about opportunities- I have several friends who have hopped in on projects this way. There are also tons of summer research opportunities, both at EVMS through the Summer Scholars program (which is not peds-specific) or at external sites all over the country. The vast majority of my peers had success with finding research last summer, and there were opportunities to continue those projects through second year.

Hopefully next week more acceptances would be sent out.
How long does evms give to accept an acceptance.

Hey, guys! I'm a rising M2 who loves it here and I'll be happy to answer any questions that arise to the best of my ability. :) Otherwise, best of luck with your app cycles!

Hey, I got a 513 on my mcat and retook it and got a 510 which I understand looks very bad. Its a bummer. Anyone have an insight into if schools will reject me based on this. I feel like I definitely lost my chances now.

Hey, I got a 513 on my mcat and retook it and got a 510 which I understand looks very bad. Its a bummer. Anyone have an insight into if schools will reject me based on this. I feel like I definitely lost my chances now.

Maybe tbh, most definitely apply to DO schools. Don’t give up hope on your dream MD schools though.

Many students are accepted with scores lower than 510 (myself included). Doing worse on a second attempt is definitely a red flag, but EVMS is more forgiving of that sort of thing than other schools are, so I wouldn’t lose hope. Just do make sure you alter your school list accordingly and submit your DO apps.

Accepted!! Interviewed on 10/12. OOS, ORM, LM-69

Dude, ?? Isn’t the median accepted score like 512? Art thoust an gunner? If I was worried about how schools will look at it, I’d be more concerned about the optics of retaking with a 513, and less about the 510.