2017-2018 Jefferson Medical College

Started by Lucca
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know it probably varies from year to year, but did you find your class to be pretty collaborative or was it a more competitive environment? My undergrad is full of pre-meds trying to sabotage each other's successes, so I'm trying to scope out a friendlier group for the next four years...
It's P/F without a curve. In fact, it was P/F/H when I was there. Either way, the classes are always collaborative.
 
I made my optional essay a diversity one. Where my family came from, the struggles we overcame, and how those push me to want to attend their school.
 
I know it probably varies from year to year, but did you find your class to be pretty collaborative or was it a more competitive environment? My undergrad is full of pre-meds trying to sabotage each other's successes, so I'm trying to scope out a friendlier group for the next four years...
Just to add, it should be more collaborative because they do have small group sessions which will lead to more discussions among students.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone else's fee only $35? Idk why mine was, I didn't apply to any special program or anything.
Yeah, You must have checked the box on the bottom. That box is to be checked for people who do not have an AAMC fee waver, but are in need of a reduced secondary price. You have to submit proof to SKMC
 
For the section on the secondary:

"The following type of recommendation letter(s) will be sent:
1) Health Professions Committee letters from College/University
2) Recommendation Packet compiled by (Pre-Med) Advising Office
3) Individual Faculty letters (one letter from each required) 1-Biology, 1-Chemistry, 1-Physics, 1-Humanities"

Do we check all that applies, or just one? My school does the first two, both a Committee Letter and Packet (so I was thinking to check both 1 and 2), but the third one is included in the Packet.
Hi! Yeah I think you will be good to go if you just check the first two since the third is included in the second!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone else's LOR show as "Not received"? All my other secondary schools have received my letters so not sure if this is a systems issue?
 
Is anyone fitting 2 essays in the 4000 character space? I was thinking a 2000 diversity and then an explanation for a semester of poor academic performance... Think that would be frowned upon?
 
Is anyone fitting 2 essays in the 4000 character space? I was thinking a 2000 diversity and then an explanation for a semester of poor academic performance... Think that would be frowned upon?

I think that might be stretching it a bit, I'd pick one only


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Does anyone else's LOR show as "Not received"? All my other secondary schools have received my letters so not sure if this is a systems issue?
Hi! I am going to be a first year med student this fall so I went through the same process last year. I found that the best thing to do in these situations is to call admissions. The people in the office are super nice and helpful and they can tell you if the problem is on your end or if they just haven't updated your portal yet.
 
Is anyone fitting 2 essays in the 4000 character space? I was thinking a 2000 diversity and then an explanation for a semester of poor academic performance... Think that would be frowned upon?
In my opinion, it is up to you how you want to structure your essay. As long as it doesn't come off as two distinct essays I think it should be fine!
 
Is anyone fitting 2 essays in the 4000 character space? I was thinking a 2000 diversity and then an explanation for a semester of poor academic performance... Think that would be frowned upon?
What essays? I thought it was just anything extra you needed to inform them.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
+1 on the secondary today!

Edit: Submitted! Used a diversity essay for the "additional Info" question.
 
Last edited:
What essays? I thought it was just anything extra you needed to inform them.

I actually did exactly what you said. I divided the diversity essay and additionla info with
----------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Has anyone not received a secondary yet?

Just checking because some other schools sent me secondaries and I did not receive them. I had to call to get the invitation resent.
 
Has anyone not received a secondary yet?

Just checking because some other schools sent me secondaries and I did not receive them. I had to call to get the invitation resent.
Jefferson downloads applications in batches. So, if you have not received one yet do not worry. Everybody does receive a secondary from Jefferson!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In regards to the LORs I see that I am not the only one that does not fulfill all of the requirements. Which is a relief, but I am still trying to figure out how I need to write the email. The sheer fact of the matter is that I did not know to get specifics instead I have 2 BIO, 1 Psych, 1 doctor, 1 athletic trainer. I could try and give a detailed excuse or just own up to my mistake. . . I'm leaning towards the latter what do you all think?
 
In regards to the LORs I see that I am not the only one that does not fulfill all of the requirements. Which is a relief, but I am still trying to figure out how I need to write the email. The sheer fact of the matter is that I did not know to get specifics instead I have 2 BIO, 1 Psych, 1 doctor, 1 athletic trainer. I could try and give a detailed excuse or just own up to my mistake. . . I'm leaning towards the latter what do you all think?

I sent an email last night and received a reply this morning saying " The letters you are providing are acceptable for application to our school."

All I said in the email was "I am in contact because I have submitted my secondary application to Sidney Kimmel Medical College, however I am unable to supply the requested recommendations of faculty from each Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Humanities. In light of this, the letters I will be submitting are from the following........"

Then I listed the letters writers and their title. No need for an explanation.
 
I sent an email last night and received a reply this morning saying " The letters you are providing are acceptable for application to our school."

All I said in the email was "I am in contact because I have submitted my secondary application to Sidney Kimmel Medical College, however I am unable to supply the requested recommendations of faculty from each Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Humanities. In light of this, the letters I will be submitting are from the following........"

Then I listed the letters writers and their title. No need for an explanation.
Thank you! I'll be sending them an email promptly!
 
In regards to the LORs I see that I am not the only one that does not fulfill all of the requirements. Which is a relief, but I am still trying to figure out how I need to write the email. The sheer fact of the matter is that I did not know to get specifics instead I have 2 BIO, 1 Psych, 1 doctor, 1 athletic trainer. I could try and give a detailed excuse or just own up to my mistake. . . I'm leaning towards the latter what do you all think?

I just emailed them and said hey I see these are the preferential letters you want...I have these (detailed them out)...and would these satisfy the requirement? And they e-mailed me maybe ten minutes after with a response saying it was fine!


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Edit: and yes you should e-mail because the secondary specifically states to e-mail with what letters they should be expecting.
 
I just emailed them and said hey I see these are the preferential letters you want...I have these (detailed them out)...and would these satisfy the requirement? And they e-mailed me maybe ten minutes after with a response saying it was fine!


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Edit: and yes you should e-mail because the secondary specifically states to e-mail with what letters they should be expecting.

Lucky. I emailed them yesterday and am still waiting to hear
 
Hey, @Doctor Strange - when you were a student at Jeff, did you have any classmates that lived out in the Philly suburbs? I assume most people live on or near campus, but if someone was commuting, would they be completely out of the loop or the odd one out?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Checked the portal this morning - they've received my letters and marked me complete!

upload_2017-7-21_11-26-41.png
 
It doesn't make sense to me why they have the bio/chem/physics letter requirement, knowing up front that most kids don't have all 3.....especially if they are just gonna waive it so easily. Seems like it would just be a hassle for them.

My only thought is that they get tons of apps, and use it to weed kids out. People who email to ask about the letter requirement and get the OK show an interest to the school. And people who don't ask "aren't following instructions" and just get tossed.

Just a guess
 
Does anyone else's LOR show as "Not received"? All my other secondary schools have received my letters so not sure if this is a systems issue?

same here. I had to email because i don't have a bio/chem/phys. They responded and waived/OK-ed the requirement for me. But still, none of my letters are shown as received, and my app is marked "NOT complete."

Not sure if I should email again. But i'm assuming its a system glitch because my letters are showing received to every other school I applied to.
 
It doesn't make sense to me why they have the bio/chem/physics letter requirement, knowing up front that most kids don't have all 3.....especially if they are just gonna waive it so easily. Seems like it would just be a hassle for them.

My only thought is that they get tons of apps, and use it to weed kids out. People who email to ask about the letter requirement and get the OK show an interest to the school. And people who don't ask "aren't following instructions" and just get tossed.

Just a guess
From speaking with previous applicants, I think that's a neurotic inaccurate speculation. They're going to reject someone purely for not bothering them with a simple question? You think that the multiple thousands of applicants who aren't on SDN and don't meet the letter reqs and don't send an email are automatically weeded out? Even if that were true, wouldn't it quickly become common knowledge to every applicant every year? Come one now. It would be much easier to weed people out by glancing at their stats and apps then it would be to try and trap students into not following instructions, plus adding the work of answering thousands of emails asking the same question.
 
same here. I had to email because i don't have a bio/chem/phys. They responded and waived/OK-ed the requirement for me. But still, none of my letters are shown as received, and my app is marked "NOT complete."

Not sure if I should email again. But i'm assuming its a system glitch because my letters are showing received to every other school I applied to.
If after a couple of days it still is marked as not received, I would give them a call.