2017-2018 Michigan State University (MSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you think those who interviewed on 10/27 will hear back this week...

Members don't see this ad.

It's been ~5 months and still no word from MSUCOM. When do rejections typically get sent?

Reactions: 4 users
Do you think those who interviewed on 10/27 will hear back this week...
I also interviewed on 10/27 and am praying to hear back between Wednesday and Friday of this week

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I also interviewed on 10/27 and am praying to hear back between Wednesday and Friday of this week

10/18 here and still haven't heard. I think they might've forgot lol

Interviewed today!! Fingers crossed!

Reactions: 3 users
I've been complete since 8/20, OOS applicant (Wisconsin) with high GPA and mediocre MCAT of 505. Silent rejection?

ACCEPTED!!! Just got the call, my hands still won't stop shaking......

Reactions: 6 users
Just got the call! So happy that I passed out and hit my head on the bathroom sink!

Reactions: 7 users
Holy ****ing ****!!! Oh god I can't believe I got in. I started crying before I even answered the call.

Accepted! Canadian here. Interestingly she also gave me feedback on my interviews :)

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

First tier waitlist. Canadian....Congrats to everyone accepted today!

Reactions: 2 users
Got an email today at 4:10 saying that I was accepted! Never got the call though. I interviewed on 10/27. IS.

Edit: Got the call at 8:10 from a professor. Apparently, he doesn't know that the email was already sent before he called. It was super awkward haha.

Last edited:
does anyone know the stats for people getting off the different wait list tiers? or what makes them more likely to take you off of it haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know the stats for people getting off the different wait list tiers? or what makes them more likely to take you off of it haha.

They said that last year 100% got off tier 1, 50% from tier 2, and none from tier 3. This is only for US applicants. I can’t remember the stats for Canadian.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
The other guy is right about the stats. As for the things that help, they like volunteer stuff a lot and interest in the school (see the sites, webinar, etc). This is the advice I got from one of tha admissions people last year while on the list T2.

The other guy is right about the stats. As for the things that help, they like volunteer stuff a lot and interest in the school (see the sites, webinar, etc). This is the advice I got from one of tha admissions people last year while on the list T2.
I think the biggest thing is maintaining active communication with the admissions staff. On top of that, do the things that they suggest that you do, whether that's volunteering, shadowing, whatever. But first and foremost, schedule an appointment with an advisor (in person or over the phone) to get feedback from them.

Apparently I got a rejection email from CHM this morning but it went to spam so I didn't see it until now. So happy I got the call from COM before ever seeing the rejection email. I wonder how many people get accepted to both COM and CHM

Thank you so much! Did you get accepted off of T2? and if so, when did you hear back? I know it's different for everyone I just really liked COM so I'm hoping they take me eventually.

Write a letter of intent (if this is your top choice). In the letter, talk about how after your interview you hope to be part of COM even more, and why you're a strong candidate and good fit. If you're doing any activities (like volunteering), mention your continued participation in them, or if you have gained any new experiences/perspectives, maybe talk about those. There are a lot of online resources for crafting a strong LOI.

accepted yesterday! got the call around noon, with an e-mail following a few hours later. Also applying for the DO/PhD program, but that decision will come in March I believe...congrats everyone!

edit:

OOS
2.9-3.2 undergrad
36+ MCAT
good ECs & research exp.
crushed my SMP grades

Last edited:
Accepted today. Interviewed Nov. 14th, got the call Nov. 17th. LizzyM 65, OOS, veteran, a lot of research. Good luck everyone.

Reactions: 6 users
Have any Canadians that've been put on the first tier waitlist been accepted yet?

I can't imagine there would be any movement until after the Dec 14th deadline for deposits.

Potentially due to withdrawn acceptances throughout the cycle thus far. But I had no idea the deadline for deposits was Dec. 14th. Im just trying to create a realistic timeline so I don't preoccupy myself with waiting around my phone lol.

Do you guys think the Detroit site is already full?

Do you guys think the Detroit site is already full?

DMC tends to fill up first (demand + only 50 spots), but I think there might be still some spots available. I'm sure if you're accepted soon and on the waiting list for DMC, you'll get it come spring and have time to figure out where to live, etc. Regardless, after summer term anatomy, there's usually spots open to switch sites if you really want to be at DMC.

These questions have probably already been asked...

1) Is there a Facebook group for the class of 2022?

2) What are some good resources for finding housing at the EL campus?

Interviewed on 11/14, received a positive call the morning of 11/17. Still in shock it actually happened. I wish everyone the best of luck!

These questions have probably already been asked...

1) Is there a Facebook group for the class of 2022?

2) What are some good resources for finding housing at the EL campus?

1) I have not heard anything about one yet.

2) Check out the admitted candidate guide, specifically, section IV. It can be found on MSUCOM's website ->Admissions ->Admitted Candidate Guide, on the right side of the page.

Are there any current students that would be willing to PM me? MSU was the very first interview I've done and I've since had 3 more. Have a few questions to ask now that I've seen other schools. Would help a lot.

Any Canadian's recently invited for an interview here? Am I basically rejected if I have heard no news yet?

Any Canadian's recently invited for an interview here? Am I basically rejected if I have heard no news yet?

I interviewed on 10/18 and got 1st tier WL’d. When did you submit your secondary?

Just put my deposit down for EL! From OOS and excited to meet you all in June!

Interviewed on 11/14, received a positive call the morning of 11/17. Still in shock it actually happened. I wish everyone the best of luck!

You heard back 3 days later?! Has anyone else heard back from 11/14?! Are they making calls...

I interviewed 11/14 and still haven't heard anything.
Truly, all this means is that this person had a quick reviewer. we all get different reviewers who finish at different times. but thankfully they have to get back to us within a month.

Truly, all this means is that this person had a quick reviewer. we all get different reviewers who finish at different times. but thankfully they have to get back to us within a month.

True true, I forgot about that.

Are there any current students that would be willing to PM me? MSU was the very first interview I've done and I've since had 3 more. Have a few questions to ask now that I've seen other schools. Would help a lot.

Granted, I'm only a first-year and it hasn't been a half-year yet, but I can try to help.

Congrats to all you newly-accepted people! Message me for the Facebook group if you will be accepting your admission offer!

anyone have advice on where to live? how much should one expect to pay for monthly rent + utes assuming either
  • a studio
or
  • a 1 BR apartment
in East Lansing

You're going to pay a bit around EL for a 1BR apartment. Of course a studio may be a bit cheaper but, without roommates, you're probably looking at $750-1000/month. DTN is one of the big management groups you can look into. Other people have luck with individual renters but that can be hit or miss.

Many people live around Berrytree which is within walking distance to Fee and one of the only places around there with 1BR options (I think around $875 incl insanely fast internet). I can't think of any other places around there with studio/1BR options -- most are 2-3 BR. You can live in Lansing proper for much cheaper (I had a 1BR townhouse for $605/mo + utilities + internet) but that would certainly entail driving and likely paying for a parking spot.

Last edited:
You're going to pay a bit around EL for a 1BR apartment. Of course a studio may be a bit cheaper but, without roommates, you're probably looking at $750-1000/month. DTN is one of the big management groups you can look into. Other people have luck with individual renters but that can be hit or miss.

Many people live around Berrytree which is within walking distance to Fee and one of the only places around there with 1BR options (I think around $875 incl insanely fast internet). I can't think of any other places around there with studio/1BR options -- most are 2-3 BR. You can live in Lansing proper for much cheaper (I had a 1BR townhouse for $605/mo + utilities + internet) but that would certainly entail driving and likely paying for a parking spot.
thanks for weighing in. also love your screenname because that's exactly what I'm about to be :p

how cheap would living in Lansing proper be?

how cheap would living in Lansing proper be?
Lansing in general would be a couple hundred dollars less per month. I would say most people live within this area, though:
58 Apartments found within the drawn area | Apartments.com
Just be aware that studio/1BR are pretty few and far between!
thanks for weighing in. also love your screenname because that's exactly what I'm about to be :p
Yeah, UM -> MSU tends to be a rather large group of the class. We're a loud and proud minority. ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone have any info/advice about living near the Detroit campus?

anyone have advice on where to live? how much should one expect to pay for monthly rent + utes assuming either
  • a studio
or
  • a 1 BR apartment
in East Lansing

Yeah, I'm living solo in a 1BR for $675/month (with utilities and Internet it'll go past $700 but still) about 2.5 miles from the parking pass lot (2 miles from the school parking lot). So it can certainly be found if you look around!

Honestly, if you are expecting to have a car/drive to school anyway, then it might be worth adding an extra 5-10 minutes of commute if you're wanting to live by yourself for a cheaper price.