2017-2018 Michigan State University (MSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In case anyone is wondering, the next deposit date is 2/2/2018.

Members don't see this ad.

We don't have to list all of our volunteering and shadowing on the Graduate Application do we? I just listed my paid employment

Anyone still getting interviews here? Around when is their last interview date?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone still getting interviews here? Around when is their last interview date?
They interviewed at least until March last cycle. Maybe April, but I think March were the last dates.

Reactions: 1 users
Do we need to put down our deposit before location preferences count?

Been waiting to hear back since the middle of June. I know they have a lot on their plate during admissions season, but it doesn't take 6 months. Rip.

Reactions: 1 user
Do we need to put down our deposit before location preferences count?
I think so... They don't officially assign you to a spot until after you've deposited I believe.

I received my rejection email yesterday after being complete in October. Best of luck to the rest of you!

Edit: I’m OOS if that helps

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! Anyone interviewing on Thursday (14th)? For those that are, they are providing validated parking at the Wharton center which is a bit of a walk from where the interview is (East Fee) and I would have to walk from Wharton to Fee in heels which I do not think is the best idea with the current snow. Because I am moving, the only shoes I have are huge snow boots, toms, and heels. Does anyone have any tips for getting to Fee in this weather? I could park in the lot behind Fee but I would rather not pay for parking if I don't have to. I am an MSU undergrad currently so don't really have the option of having family drive me there and all my friends have finals/are moving.

Hi everyone! Anyone interviewing on Thursday (14th)? For those that are, they are providing validated parking at the Wharton center which is a bit of a walk from where the interview is (East Fee) and I would have to walk from Wharton to Fee in heels which I do not think is the best idea with the current snow. Because I am moving, the only shoes I have are huge snow boots, toms, and heels. Does anyone have any tips for getting to Fee in this weather? I could park in the lot behind Fee but I would rather not pay for parking if I don't have to. I am an MSU undergrad currently so don't really have the option of having family drive me there and all my friends have finals/are moving.
Unfortunately parking around Fee is a bit of a hassle and you'll probably have to walk a bit no matter what. Since you're local could you take an Uber to and from where you live and forego the parking altogether? It also wouldn't hurt to ask a friend for a ride -- I'd do it if a friend asked me! Otherwise you could clomp over to Fee in your big boots and I'm sure admissions would let you leave them in the office and change into interview shoes in the building.

It’s all good. I knew it was a long shot, applying late and being OOS. I was complete 10/15.

Did you have very many ties to Michigan? I think I’m in the same boat as you

Anybody have any idea were they are with acceptances? As in how many they have given out so far and how many will be given out?

Anybody have any idea were they are with acceptances? As in how many they have given out so far and how many will be given out?
This is my unofficial guesstimate: there are 116 people in the class Facebook group, all or nearly all that have accepted their offer. Based on that, I would guess the number of acceptances they’ve given out is close to 200, given we’re coming up on about halfway through the cycle and they offered ~440 applicants last year.

I have absolutely no official information to back up that assertion though.

Anyone know if this recent news of the dean stepping down is going to impact the school? It looks like it is for medical reasons but a lot of media is saying otherwise. Any current students have any thoughts? There's just not a lot of information out there, and the allegations are huge.

Osteopathic Medicine Dean steps down for medical leave

Anyone know if this recent news of the dean stepping down is going to impact the school? It looks like it is for medical reasons but a lot of media is saying otherwise. Any current students have any thoughts? There's just not a lot of information out there, and the allegations are huge.

Osteopathic Medicine Dean steps down for medical leave
Not much impact. Though he has had some health issues lately I expect he was also pressured by the president of MSU since she is getting a lot of flak for "not having done enough" and needs to demonstrate more concrete changes. Certainly a big change in the top of administration with pretty much every dean moving to a new job, retiring, or stepping down in a two year period... but it certainly won't do much to affect your education. Hopefully the upcoming hospital (and possibility for the facilities to move there!) is a positive thing on the horizon, at least, and the potential for new, young blood in the administration could be great.

The first deposit deadline has passed. So about that waitlist movement...

Does anyone know the official facebook page?

Interviewing January 24th. Very excited, this school is definitely my top choice! Any pre-interview tips? :) I know it's an MMI. I've been researching strategies for that and am planning to do a mock MMI soon. Would it be a good idea to send in another LOR before the interview or send a letter updating my experiences (have significant updates and strong potential LOR)? Or should I wait until after the interview?

See what I wrote on page #3 on this thread.

I would wait after the interview to send any more letters.

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewing January 24th. Very excited, this school is definitely my top choice! Any pre-interview tips? :) I know it's an MMI. I've been researching strategies for that and am planning to do a mock MMI soon. Would it be a good idea to send in another LOR before the interview or send a letter updating my experiences (have significant updates and strong potential LOR)? Or should I wait until after the interview?
Congratulations! I hope it all works out for you! I was just wondering, did you receive this interview invitation today? Thanks!

Didn't realize they are still doing this but I just received II today... I already marked MSU as a rejection as I'm international lol. If I'm interviewing in mid Feb, I'm basically interviewing for a waitlist spot right? Just trying to see if it's worth the effort.

Didn't realize they are still doing this but I just received II today... I already marked MSU as a rejection as I'm international lol. If I'm interviewing in mid Feb, I'm basically interviewing for a waitlist spot right? Just trying to see if it's worth the effort.
I interviewed last cycle at two different medical schools in February. Although I did get wait listed for both, there were other people on here who got accepted at both schools (not this one). I'm not sure how many seats MSU still has open, but it's definitely worth a shot!

Any interview gives you a shot.

I got a straight rejection email and interviewed a month ago.

Aren't they supposed to put you on a tiered waitlist at least?

Any Canadian's recently invited for an interview here? Am I basically rejected if I have heard no news yet?
Canadian here no interview. Only 1 do and md interview this cycle. Go into the do school atleast.

I got a straight rejection email and interviewed a month ago.

Aren't they supposed to put you on a tiered waitlist at least?
That is pretty atypical, yes, but not completely out of the question. Sorry to hear it.

I'll be withdrawing my acceptance! I hope it goes to one of you all! Gluck!

Anyone know if I haven't heard back about an interview at this point, are my chances pretty much nil? Or have people still been hearing back from MSU?

Anyone know if I haven't heard back about an interview at this point, are my chances pretty much nil? Or have people still been hearing back from MSU?
Not zero but likely not good. There are only three interview days left - but pretty darn spread out - so they may yet have to send out more invites depending on how many people withdraw.

Not zero but likely not good. There are only three interview days left - but pretty darn spread out - so they may yet have to send out more invites depending on how many people withdraw.

Appreciate the heads up. Thanks!

Has anyone applied to com in the middle of a thesis-based master's program? For example- completed a full year of a program in biomedical sciences and applied to medical school before starting the second year? If anyone has any feedback on if this helped with their application, in terms of a year's worth of graduate gpa and research experience, please comment back.

I'm looking to boost my academic background and also not lose another year while applying, and a two year program is perfect if in fact it has helped any of you. I'm also not sure if schools (and yes I'm in the process of contacting them) accept just one year of graduate gpa since the second year will be during the application cycle and grades won't come in until the end of each semester.

Any input is hugely appreciated!

I received my interview invite in January I think? But I also submitted everything later in the cycle so they may not have seen my stuff until then.

Well that's slightly encouraging. haha. Thanks!
From what they offered me, they only have two interview dates available now, one of them being March 2nd (supposedly the latest date).

Has anyone applied to com in the middle of a thesis-based master's program? For example- completed a full year of a program in biomedical sciences and applied to medical school before starting the second year? If anyone has any feedback on if this helped with their application, in terms of a year's worth of graduate gpa and research experience, please comment back.

I'm looking to boost my academic background and also not lose another year while applying, and a two year program is perfect if in fact it has helped any of you. I'm also not sure if schools (and yes I'm in the process of contacting them) accept just one year of graduate gpa since the second year will be during the application cycle and grades won't come in until the end of each semester.

Any input is hugely appreciated!
I did exactly this. I applied after one full year/21 credits in my master's program and MSUCOM almost exclusively used my master's GPA. So after the second year of my program was finished I went right into school.

I would make an advising appointment either online or in person with MSUCOM, which is available on their website. Feel free to PM me with specific questions!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, I hope applications are going well for everyone! I recently bought a house and will be subletting my apartment for two months from Feb-March with the option to extend the lease. This would be an ideal place for anyone just moving into town needing to get their bearings for the first semester. It's a 1bd, 6-7 min. drive from DMC campus, and two blocks from the riverfront. Views of the river and Canada. Please feel free to message me if you are interested.

Does anyone here have any insight or experience with deferrals from MSUCOM? If you don't mind sending me a private message. Thanks

So I'm not sure if it's too early to be looking into this, but I was trying to figure out where to live and I'm not very familiar with the East Lansing area. I've seen a few nice apartment options in the Okemos area but I'm not sure if that is a nice area or a good place to live. I'm possibly interested in living alone, and being right on campus isn't super important to me. Any input would help, thanks!

edit: does anyone have any insight on living alone vs. with roommates?

Last edited: