2017-2018 Michigan State University (MSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone else think ADCOMS are just cyber monday shopping today instead of reviewing/calling us?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Yeah, I'm living solo in a 1BR for $675/month (with utilities and Internet it'll go past $700 but still) about 2.5 miles from the parking pass lot (2 miles from the school parking lot). So it can certainly be found if you look around!

Honestly, if you are expecting to have a car/drive to school anyway, then it might be worth adding an extra 5-10 minutes of commute if you're wanting to live by yourself for a cheaper price.
Can confirm all the walking distance apartments **cough Hannah cough** are absolute rip offs.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
i heard that msucom has more than 10 -15 pct failure rate (comlex/class - 35 -50 students fail out of 330 students) and these students who failed initially after finally passing the comlex 1 get the first preference for 3rd year rotation over students who passed first time and have to wait. Is this true?
No, they are in the same selection process as everyone else. Don't listen to current second years about that particular issue (some of them). It was wonky this year and everyone is incredibly on edge about it.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone interviewing Jan 24th? I got the invite over the holiday and cried when I say dec 14th was full.

I have been complete since 7/5 and still haven't heard anything back:( but i guess no news is good news right? Trying to stay optimistic here

Reactions: 4 users
I have been complete since 7/5 and still haven't heard anything back:( but i guess no news is good news right? Trying to stay optimistic here
does this school not do silent rejections? if not, then no news is good news. i am almost waiting (been complete since mid july :/)

Reactions: 2 users
Can anyone confirm that we med students get student football tickets like the undergrads? Just trying to get my priorities straight lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Can anyone confirm that we med students get student football tickets like the undergrads? Just trying to get my priorities straight lol.
Yeah. Grad student tickets are available for purchase each year.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Has anyone else heard back yet from the 11/14 interview?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else heard back yet from the 11/14 interview?

Not me, I called them and they said if they haven't notified it's because they don't have a status change. Once they know if we are in or waitlisted (and tier), they'll let us know.

Does anyone know if MSUCOM has any merit based scholarships available? Thanks!

I've been complete since 07/04 and haven't heard anything back either. Really starting to get nervous.

I've been complete since 07/04 and haven't heard anything back either. Really starting to get nervous.
Me too! Honestly I feel like there might not be any news til January. This process can go on until a couple weeks before school starts. That's what is making me nervous!

Little something for the future classes to be excited about, not exactly sure when it’ll be done

Edit: cant read articles properly anymore too many odd ads i scroll right past actual content , says should be complete in 2021

McLaren to build $450 million hospital adjacent to Michigan State

Wow! That’s very impressive looking and sounding! This seems like a pretty ideal placement and a big deal for msucom students, right? Or am I just overly excited to start next year ha

Wow! That’s very impressive looking and sounding! This seems like a pretty ideal placement and a big deal for msucom students, right? Or am I just overly excited to start next year ha

I think it’s a big deal for sure, having a hospital basically on campus. Even though we did already have two within 15mins of the school (EL campus). They haven’t released much info at all yet, but if i were to take an optimistic guess based on the quotes in the article it could be more on the academic side like other “university” hospitals and be a big plus for academics/research/recruiting. As opposed to our current “community based hospital” approach (but these almost all have residencies set up in them and do research so theyre technically academic as well, not sure on the distinct differences about all that anyways).

Regardless, I think it’s pretty cool. Should be a big plus for MSUCOM come 2021.

I think it’s a big deal for sure, having a hospital basically on campus. Even though we did already have two within 15mins of the school (EL campus). They haven’t released much info at all yet, but if i were to take an optimistic guess based on the quotes in the article it could be more on the academic side like other “university” hospitals and be a big plus for academics/research/recruiting. As opposed to our current “community based hospital” approach (but these almost all have residencies set up in them and do research so theyre technically academic as well, not sure on the distinct differences about all that anyways).

Regardless, I think it’s pretty cool. Should be a big plus for MSUCOM come 2021.
it is a huge win for the school. Not to mention the construction of the Facility for Rare Isotope Beams will be complete soon. This will attract top scientists/physicists to the EL area.

I'll be working there one day. Calling it now.

I was literally just thinking how cool it’d be to work there thatd be sweet if they finished a year earlier so we could apply for residency there

Would they implement residencies in the first year? Yeah, I wish they had started building it earlier, but it's still good news for the school, and definitely a place that I'd love to be at one day.

Would they implement residencies in the first year? Yeah, I wish they had started building it earlier, but it's still good news for the school, and definitely a place that I'd love to be at one day.

Agreed, and im not too sure. The way the article makes it sound like is they’re moving the other lansing McLaren locations to this new hospital, and if that’s true I’d assume they’d bring the McLaren lansing residencies with them. Probably wouldnt happen that quickly if that is true, but either way it’s gonna be great for the school and IMO it could turn MSU into a clinical research powerhouse like the poster above mentioned

Would you guys please stop talking about this? I'm already too excited for MSUCOM, I can't handle anymore excitement!!! ;)

I got the call this morning- I'm in!! Could not be more excited! (Interviewed 11/28)

Reactions: 7 users
I've been complete since 8/20, OOS applicant (Wisconsin) with high GPA and mediocre MCAT of 505. Silent rejection?
Have not heard anything as well. Complete a/o 8/23. Also out of state (New Jersey), but with Michigan ties. High GPA, mediocre MCAT, but significant volunteering, shadowing and research with first author publications.

Just formally withdrew my seat, hope it goes to someone still waiting to hear back! Best of luck to everyone!

Interviewed on 11/14 and accepted just now!!!! So exciting!!! I cannot wait to start my journey at MSUCOM!!

Also interviewed 11/14 and just got in now!!! I almost didn’t apply because I thought I wouldn’t get an interview!

Just got the acceptance call! Interviewed 11/14!

Does anyone know if there’s still spots in east Lansing?

If I've heard throughout this forum correctly, since there are significantly more spots in EL than the other campuses, that campus generally has spots open the longest -- though I could be wrong, I would assume yes, there are still spots there!

Can't confirm 100% because I truly don't know, but like goilers said, EL is usually open for most of the cycle. I deposited after the holidays last year and there were still spots in EL

I got an EL spot just the other day, I suspect I probably wasn't the last one

I'm not sure if it's the usual trend, but last cycle Macomb was the last campus to fill up.

It was filled up when I got accepted in March (Macomb was still open), but a spot opened up a couple weeks later. Actually DMC was my top choice and even that opened up for me in the second half of May, but by that point I was fully ready to move to EL. So...there's probably spots right now if I had to guess.

Even if you don't get your top choice now, if you really want to go somewhere else, you can transfer after the summer semester.

When doing the graduate professional application after acceptance, are we supposed to relist all of our extracurriculars?

Where is this graduate professional application? I'm looking through the website they sent me and can't find it.

It’s in the portal. You have to do it before you pay your deposit

So does anyone think there will be any waitlist movement after this first deposit date (starting on the 15th)/ was there any last year that anyone knows of?