2017-2018 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYIT-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I spoke with them. They do expect it to be in by then or you lose your seat. They said you can get a full refund up until classes start.
They meant full tuition not the deposit

Members don't see this ad.

Yea, tuition is due April 16th. You cannot get the $1500 deposit back at all.
I would assume you need it paid or financial aid arranged, at my school financial aid wont be disbursed until mid July

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How is the tuition due on April 16 if some people from the waitlist wont be accepted until much later?

*Disclaimer again: Do not work for NYIT or our FA office, so I am making a few assumptions, but they seem reasonable to me and will hopefully help make sense of this confusion*

How is the tuition due on April 16 if some people from the waitlist wont be accepted until much later?

It isn’t. Financial aid can be arranged quickly enough, believe it or not. If your FAFSA is ready to go except for the chosen school, then a quick amendment to it is all that is needed should you get accepted.

And again, tuition is not technically due by then. They want you to have the FAFSA done and ready to go by then. They receive a notice when you file for your FAFSA to receive loans for our school. That’s what they want by 4/16. It is a guarantee that, come August, the school will receive your tuition payment in the form of your loans because you have been approved for them and clearly dictated that they be directed to NYITCOM.

Having that locked down is what they are looking for, or maybe a payment plan set if you have the ability to swing tuition yourself. The reason it is so easy to receive a refund prior to classes starting is because funds will not even be dispersed until then anyway.

Much like a deposit, the idea is that having a secured path to payment (filed FAFSA) acts as a placeholder for your seat. If you do not commit to payment of tuition, much like the deposit, the idea is that you may not be committed. So the school could then look to place someone in your seat who is committing (I’m sure there are takers in this forum).

does anyone know when waitlist movement will start?
Using my inductive reasoning skills, based on the thread from last year and deadline to make deposits it looks like late April the earliest with the bulk being in May and June. By no means quote me on that tho lol

Reactions: 1 users
how can they expect people to pay by april 16?!
'

So I literally went down tot eh campus to talk to them about that. Instead of semesterly payments, NYCOM employs a ten-month payment plan that is optional. Either you enroll in the 10 month payment plan and pay your tuition like that, or you pay the first half of the first years fees twice, once before April 16th and then the second half in November. I highly recommend reaching out to get more info on how to enroll.

'

So I literally went down tot eh campus to talk to them about that. Instead of semesterly payments, NYCOM employs a ten-month payment plan that is optional. Either you enroll in the 10 month payment plan and pay your tuition like that, or you pay the first half of the first years fees twice, once before April 16th and then the second half in November. I highly recommend reaching out to get more info on how to enroll.

You would enroll on the NYITConnect portal. I just emailed fin aid and they said my loan will be dispersed 14 days before the first day of classes. Since my loan covers the tuition the payment is no longer due on April 16th for some reason

You would enroll on the NYITConnect portal. I just emailed fin aid and they said my loan will be dispersed 14 days before the first day of classes. Since my loan covers the tuition the payment is no longer due on April 16th for some reason
If I accept the loans until when can i cancel them and not take the loan?

If I accept the loans until when can i cancel them and not take the loan?

I'm not sure. I accepted my loan and if I am accepted at a different school and decide to attend, I believe that loan transfers to the new institution. If you accept the loan and then don't want it anymore, I'm sure you can pay it off immediately (as a last resort) and get it over with.

'

Ok so I am assuming this doesnt apply to waitlisted students..?

Members don't see this ad :)
You can cancel loans prior to distribution with no penalty, and you can technically return them for a short while after but it is a potentially messy process because there is a loan origination fee and whatnot to worry about for grad plus.

Btw, grad plus applications are now open!

Waitlisted. Interviewed 2/13

I was expecting a rejection the way my interview went (asked straight off a form, didn’t ask if I had any questions, thought I was nervously when I was fine) so it’s better than nothing
Was it a lady who worked as a breast surgeon?

wait listed today! better than rejection, but now comes the months of suspense and agony! lol

Waitlisted, could have been worse I guess:(

Is there anyone out there who has any tips for me regarding how to get off the waitlist at this school?

Please PM me!

Thanks

As someone who got off the waitlist, let me just give all of y'all my 2 cents.

If NYIT is your first choice you should a LOI to the school and only one, so make sure it contains something of substance! They won't want 3 separate updates at this point, so if you have to wait till you have something interesting to report, then do. I waited a month after my waitlisting to send my letter to make sure I could include my new publication being sent out and a course grade. The letter should contain new information that you want to share (whether that's how much you enjoyed your interview, some new volunteering experience, a new publication, etc) and that you unequivocally plan on attending NYITCOM if accepted. They won't be interested in "I probably will attend," they want "I 100% will be sending in my deposit the second I'm accepted." Make that clear. Whatever info you include make sure it's new; no repeats from your primary, secondary, interview, etc. They already know that and will have it on file.

Beyond that letter, chill. Exercise. Take up knitting. And get off SDN, /r/premed, etc, checking it every day will drive you crazy.

Probably a really dumb question. Is the health insurance included in tution?

If not how much does that usually cost?

It should be included in the CoA

withdrew my acceptance. Good luck everyone! OW campus

FYI, if anyone was wondering what the 2018 match results were:
NYIT-COM match.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
is there going to be a more detailed breakdown of the match list?

A more detailed breakdown as in the specific hospitals? I am not sure exactly when they are released, but we definitely get a breakdown before interviews start (the list of hospitals that people matched in are usually included in the interview packet). As soon as they are released publicly, I will def post it.

has anyone been able to get around the april 16 tuition deadline?

I believe your concern was addressed previously, but you would always do well to call the school and speak with FA with specific concerns about deadlines, amounts, etc.

Here in JB our FA office is run by an incredible individual who is an absolute pleasure to work with and is incredibly helpful in navigating this stressful aspect of medical school. I highly recommend all JB students go to her with your questions. This is also true of most all of our administrative faculty here.

This way you receive definitive answers endorsed by the school and avoid all potential misconceptions and the issues/consequences that follow.

This is a good rule of thumb for most issues discussed here. The student perspective is nice to receive, but it not always 100% accurate or indicative of the school’s stance. Don’t get caught doing something wrong because you heard it here when we have receptive faculty who can help.

I talked with FA today and my post on a previous page is correct.
Please don’t mind perceived tone, my aim is to clarify something that seems troubling to you all.

Summary:
By 4/16 you must either 1) File FAFSA, apply for Grad Plus, Sign MPN, and accept awards through mynyit portal; OR, 2) Sign up for payment plan/pay in full.

That’s it.

If you get an email from FA (Vicki Walker for JB) READ IT, BECAUSE THAT MAY MEAN YOU HAVE NOT COMPLETED THE ABOVE. If you have done the above and have not received an email, you’re probably good.

Funds from FA applied for through FAFSA will NOT be dispersed until August, despite the 4/16 deadline for application. Therefore your refund will NOT be available until August.

Housing at JB (or off campus at OW, I imagine) will be paid for out the refund. Therefore ASU will not expect payment at the same time they would get it from the undergrads here. They understand the delay in time. Pay when you get your refund. It’ll all work out.

If you do what is outlined above in the first part of the summary, 98% of everything will be automatically handled from there. Housing and meal plans are the exception.

If you have any more questions PLEASE CALL FA. Mrs. Walker returned a number of calls today and will continue to do so. This is what she does and she will gladly help!

are we allowed to bring a parent/friend to accepted students day tomorrow?

Has anyone here (or knows someone) who has been accepted off the wailist as of yet?

Reactions: 4 users
Send an LOI, nothing more. See my previous post above.

They said not to send LOIs until after you've interviewed.
I assumed we were talking about people on the waitlist, i.e. they've already interviewed.

I have the 2018 match results if anyone is interested. DM me for the excel sheet.

Any thing in addition to the LOI that could help me get off the waitlist?

I am unsure of what my school’s policy is, but many schools have a ranked or ordered waitlist. Once it is made it may be fairly set. For many of these schools, unless you have something substantial to update your file, a LOI or update letter at this point probably won’t make a difference. For instance in a ranked waitlist (based on MCAT, GPA, interview scores, etc.) a new publication could be a difference maker in positioning. In an ordered one (based off of time) it likely wouldn’t.

But I am not in admissions, so take that with a grain of salt.

Otherwise it is a waiting game. It always gets tough come this time of the cycle.

Any thing in addition to the LOI that could help me get off the waitlist?
I hear animal sacrifices to a nameless, faceless god are highly encouraged.