2017-2018 New York University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got the same e-mail!!! But call yet. Was this a full cost of attendance, or partial merit on your end?
But no* call yet

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got a call from an unknown number.... I pick up knowing we are supposed to be getting merit aid calls this week. It's someone from NYU. We chat about my job and summer plans for a few minutes and then he pauses and says, "I'm just calling to congratulate you...... on your acceptance."

Congrats!!! I'm surprised there is a little waitlist movement right now. :O

Do you mind telling us your stats like GPA, MCAT and/or whether you sent in update letters, LOI, or whether you applied to 3-year program?

Do you mind telling us your stats like GPA, MCAT and/or whether you sent in update letters, LOI, or whether you applied to 3-year program?

He/she was already accepted. Not from the waitlist

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got the same e-mail!!! But call yet. Was this a full cost of attendance, or partial merit on your end?

Full cost of attendance!! I was/still am freaking out!

Reactions: 2 users

Yeah I wasn't on the waitlist... They were just calling to see if I had any questions.

Full CoA!!! Insane.....

Wow congratulations!! Did anyone get any scholarships that weren't full CoA?? I'm holding out hope that they might still be giving some of those out...

Reactions: 1 users
Any waitlisters here? I feel like NYU waitlisted everyone :3 also feel like no one is gonna turn down acceptance

Reactions: 6 users
Any waitlisters here? I feel like NYU waitlisted everyone :3 also feel like no one is gonna turn down acceptance
I'm waitlisted.

I'd love to hear accepted students' thoughts on Second Look if possible.

I've been accepted and am inching towards going somewhere else. Keep hope alive!

Reactions: 8 users

I withdrew a few days ago. There will probably be a decent amount of movement soon.

Did anyone receive merit other than those two folks who received full ride? Kind of shocked at how little aid seemed to go out from a school that claims it is moving towards debt free education.

Speaking of financial aid, can anyone comment on the financial packages (outside of merit). I am relatively sure that even if I get off the waitlist, there won’t be enough aid for me to pick NYU, but I would like to have an idea of whether they give need-based scholarships.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Do people who are waitlisted get notified that they are rejected in early May? Or are we supposed to carry on our sad hope...

Speaking of financial aid, can anyone comment on the financial packages (outside of merit). I am relatively sure that even if I get off the waitlist, there won’t be enough aid for me to pick NYU, but I would like to have an idea of whether they give need-based scholarships.

I received no aid from here. Compared to other same tier schools where I got 40-80 percent of tuition covered with grants. It wa a bit confusing after the speech on free med school education lol

I

Oops my answer somehow got tacked on to your question but it’s there!
I can vouch for that - I got $0.00 from NYU, despite getting 50% at two other similarly ranked schools. And I really took their whole debt gospel to heart, it was one of the top reasons I wanted to get in!

Apologies for being a bit naive about this, but assuming schools are working with the same FAFSA/CSS information etc, how do they come up with such different values as to what the applicant can afford?

Apologies for being a bit naive about this, but assuming schools are working with the same FAFSA/CSS information etc, how do they come up with such different values as to what the applicant can afford?
They all use their own custom formulas. Some use formulas that calculate a similar internal EFC to FAFSA, some are wildly different. Then what they do with that number also varies a lot, depending on the school's resources, policies etc. This is how the director of financial aid (at another school) explained it to me.

They all use their own custom formulas. Some use formulas that calculate a similar internal EFC to FAFSA, some are wildly different. Then what they do with that number also varies a lot, depending on the school's resources, policies etc. This is how the director of financial aid (at another school) explained it to me.
Ah ok thanks. Seems like there is room for improvement if schools are calculating such different EFCs.

Does anybody have an idea of how many people are on/accepted off of the WL, and when that movement typically happens? And congrats to those accepted so far.

Does anybody have an idea of how many people are on/accepted off of the WL, and when that movement typically happens? And congrats to those accepted so far.
Usually starts in May and the Dean said there would be about 100 people accepted off the WL, though that number could be way off, especially since he said that before their massive jump in USNews rankings.

I got basically zilch (less than $600).

I have a significant financial package at a school I love, so even if I get off the waitlist it's looking less and less that I'll be attending here. But love you all, so I kind of wish I could make it work!

Reactions: 2 users
I got basically zilch (less than $600).
wow that's actually awful :/ i was pretty set on going here (currently on the WL) if i get in as I thought their need based aid would be better but I'm guessing not...

wow that's actually awful :/ i was pretty set on going here (currently on the WL) if i get in as I thought their need based aid would be better but I'm guessing not...

ikr... I feel like giving someone $600 bucks a year to live in NYC is more of a slap in the face than it is "aid"

But hey, at least they'll be able to afford a Costco membership now :laugh:

Reactions: 7 users
I'm waitlisted.

I'd love to hear accepted students' thoughts on Second Look if possible.

Revisit here made me want to attend! We met current students from all four years and they all seemed genuinely happy, supported, and excited to be at NYU. The sense of community among students seems really strong, especially since majority stay in the on-campus housing for all 4 years. The overall vibe was super welcoming and not pretentious. It also sounds like NYU has good financial aid available for dual degrees, and some cool summer opportunities that I don't remember hearing about on interview day. Let me know if there's anything specific you were hoping to hear about :)

For those withdrawing are you just using the button on the amp system or are you also sending an email?

To anyone who sent in a LOI: did you upload it to the portal or send it to the admissions email (or even Dr. Rivera)? Thanks!

To anyone who sent in a LOI: did you upload it to the portal or send it to the admissions email (or even Dr. Rivera)? Thanks!

I sent an update/letter of interest (not intent) through the portal. I wasn't sure if it should go elsewhere

What are the options for student housing - what are people looking at?

this was my top choice but due to COA, i had to withdraw today unfortunately. Good luck to who gets my seat

this was my top choice but due to COA, i had to withdraw today unfortunately. Good luck to who gets my seat
I hope you find happiness & success wherever you attend!

Reactions: 5 users
Withdrew today with merit; hope my seat, and my aid, goes to one of you deserving folks!

I have some moderately significant updates...is it even worth it to upload them to the portal now? Or is it too late.

I have some moderately significant updates...is it even worth it to upload them to the portal now? Or is it too late.

Go for it! They were taking some people off the waitlist through July last year and it’s unranked, so it could help!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Do we all think May 3rd will be the day for some WL movement?

Do we all think May 3rd will be the day for some WL movement?
that's when they notified a majority of waitlist people last year so hopefully it will still be the same?

I imagine they need a few days to process the withdrawals and then review all of our awesome profiles once more.

I wasn’t even remotely nervous until this morning and now it won’t go away...

Fair to assume that waitlisted students do not get merit aid?

I'm so sorry for everyone in the NYU community. Please remember to take care of yourselves at every chance. Medical school is very difficult but there are always people there to talk to if you need help. If anyone wants to talks feel free to PM me.

Is anyone else just constantly refreshing Dean Rivera’s twitter?