2017-2018 Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine (NOVA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is that's standard secondary question or did they only ask you
I think its standard, it just showed up on my secondary

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Did you all receive a "application received" email before getting a secondary?
Verified 06-05 and awaiting a secondary

Members don't see this ad :)
You should have received a secondary from MSU today (at the bottom it said everyone gets one!)

Why did Nova just call me? :S They called to tell me they've received my secondary and will be screening for interviews now. Why did they call for that? Isn't this a step that everyone who receives a II goes through? Do they call everyone?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
What is everyone doing for the question about clinical activities? Are you rewriting a similar description as the one on the primary? I do really think I should copy and paste, but am also unsure whether I should be composing an entire paragraph per activity. Thank you in advance for the help!

Secondary received.

I'm not sure if I want to say yes for the DO/DMD program or no. Like, does that limit me or am i still going to be considered for the DO program if not good enough for DO/DMD? Any insight?

Secondary received.

I'm not sure if I want to say yes for the DO/DMD program or no. Like, does that limit me or am i still going to be considered for the DO program if not good enough for DO/DMD? Any insight?

I think they genuinely want to know whether or not you want to considered for the joint program. Just be honest. It won't limit you.

I think they genuinely want to know whether or not you want to considered for the joint program. Just be honest. It won't limit you.

Edit: their website says...
"Students must be accepted by the college they applied to in order to be considered for the D.O./D.M.D. Dual Degree Program. Upon acceptance to the respective college, students expressing an interest in the D.O./D.M.D. Dual Degree Program will be contacted and invited to interview"

AND...it gets even better...

"Should a student elect not to continue in the Dual D.O./D.M.D. program, the student can only continue on a track to complete the degree program into which they were initially accepted."

So I guess it doesn't limit you. I wouldn't mind getting a DMD degree...like why not? lol...and i guess you can opt out and still continue doing DO....

Never thought I would be applying to DO/DMD lol

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys,

I graduated from NSU last month and start residency in a couple weeks. I just wanted to drop by and say hi/good luck this cycle as I do every year. Advice I always give: apply early, pick interview dates ASAP, know your weaknesses, be yourself, and enjoy your time off before med school starts. I'll defer to the M1s/M2s regarding application specific questions since it's been a while for me.

There's a good number of current students and alumni floating around on SDN, so reach out to us if you have questions. For those interested, I also have a blog that documents my med school experience from day 1 and gives insight to what it was like going to Nova. There's also advice for current students about boards, audition rotations, and applying to residency. Good luck this cycle! Maybe our paths will cross one day :)

Reactions: 4 users
Received the secondary yesterday! My boyfriend's brother goes here and has some complaints, but ultimately I think it's a pretty good program all around.

Should I submit the secondary before my LORs are in, or wait until after?

I'm getting a committee letter, and they made me wait for an MCAT score before accepting my request. Now, I have to wait to meet with them and then have them write the letter. I got the secondary yesterday and am ready to submit it, but I want NSU to look at my LORs when evaluating my app. Any advice?

Edit: Never mind, I realized they won't review my secondary without my LORs anyways because my app won't be considered complete. So, I'll just hold off. I really hope I get my letter soon...I have everything else done and this school is one of my top choices, so I don't want to apply late.

Did anyone's secondary look weird when they got the PDF? I tried to use bullet points and they showed up as characters instead

Is the secondary asking for paid employment since college? Or any jobs (such as unpaid research work)? Also, how much detail are they looking for? I've only entered 1-2 lines per activity since the details are elaborated on in the primary. Not sure if I should add more.

Is the secondary asking for paid employment since college? Or any jobs (such as unpaid research work)? Also, how much detail are they looking for? I've only entered 1-2 lines per activity since the details are elaborated on in the primary. Not sure if I should add more.
I believe paid.

so why is it your top school if your bf views it like that? I mean that's a pretty big concern lol....

How in depth did you guys answer the questions?
Also is it frowned upon if I didn't have any employment during the school year?

How in depth did you guys answer the questions?
Also is it frowned upon if I didn't have any employment during the school year?

I also wonder how in depth they want us to be?

For the question about how did we hear about osteopathic medicine can we just provide a short paragraph or is this really where we're trying to sell ourselves and how much we know about DO?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I also wonder how in depth they want us to be?

For the question about how did we hear about osteopathic medicine can we just provide a short paragraph or is this really where we're trying to sell ourselves and how much we know about DO?

It's not an essay question. Answer in a few words (i.e. through parent who is a physician, through a presentation at X school, etc.).

For the other questions, you can write in paragraph form, though -- depending on how much info you have to provide.

so why is it your top school if your bf views it like that? I mean that's a pretty big concern lol....
It's not my boyfriend, it's his older brother. And he has said that things have gotten better in the classes after him (he's going into his third year).

I think everyone has an opinion, and while I value his, I have also heard many good things about Nova from other students. It's my top choice because it's like ten minutes from where I live and I think it's an overall great program.

Secondary submitted! This is definitely my top choice.

Secondary submitted! This is definitely my top choice.
Ditto!

It's not my boyfriend, it's his older brother. And he has said that things have gotten better in the classes after him (he's going into his third year).

I think everyone has an opinion, and while I value his, I have also heard many good things about Nova from other students. It's my top choice because it's like ten minutes from where I live and I think it's an overall great program.

I also have friends that go here, going into 3rd and 4th years. They have complaints about the school but at the end of the day, the school makes you a doctor! They haven't said anything so negative that I wouldn't want to apply or go here. It's also very close to home for me so that's a huge plus and puts this one at the top of my list.

Reactions: 1 users
Ditto!

I also have friends that go here, going into 3rd and 4th years. They have complaints about the school but at the end of the day, the school makes you a doctor! They haven't said anything so negative that I wouldn't want to apply or go here. It's also very close to home for me so that's a huge plus and puts this one at the top of my list.

Care to share what complaints your friends had about the school? Just curious

Nova just called me to tell me they will begin to review my app now. That was nice :)

Reactions: 1 users
Care to share what complaints your friends had about the school? Just curious

I applied to a lot of places and didn't want to limit myself based on feedback unless I was accepted so I didn't ask for too much. But I'll get more details later in the cycle if I get an interview and I'll share here.

What I've heard so far is pretty minor. There are a lot of students in the class so some people get lost in the shuffle. They have their white coat and match ceremonies in a cafeteria? which is just odd and unappealing. There's a lot of competition in the Ft. Lauderdale area during clinical years so sometimes the rotations aren't the best.

That's pretty much all I've heard so far and like I said, it's not really overwhelmingly negative. Doesn't everyone complain about their school to a certain extent?

I applied to a lot of places and didn't want to limit myself based on feedback unless I was accepted so I didn't ask for too much. But I'll get more details later in the cycle if I get an interview and I'll share here.

What I've heard so far is pretty minor. There are a lot of students in the class so some people get lost in the shuffle. They have their white coat and match ceremonies in a cafeteria? which is just odd and unappealing. There's a lot of competition in the Ft. Lauderdale area during clinical years so sometimes the rotations aren't the best.

That's pretty much all I've heard so far and like I said, it's not really overwhelmingly negative. Doesn't everyone complain about their school to a certain extent?
I have also heard about the competition for clinical sites because there are a lot of medical schools in this area. It will only get worse when NSU opens their MD program. However, you might not end up at your first choice for rotations, but you'll end up somewhere good enough, so I guess it just depends. Also, if you do well and are towards the top of your class, you'll have a higher chance of getting your top spot. So it's kind of up to you where you end up.

I have also heard about the competition for clinical sites because there are a lot of medical schools in this area. It will only get worse when NSU opens their MD program. However, you might not end up at your first choice for rotations, but you'll end up somewhere good enough, so I guess it just depends. Also, if you do well and are towards the top of your class, you'll have a higher chance of getting your top spot. So it's kind of up to you where you end up.

Yeah, they do a lottery for clinical rotations. Which is probably fine for most students without ties but can be potentially problematic for older applicants with spouses and/or kids if you need to up and move for clinical years. That's a draw back for me.

Did anyone include shadowing under the volunteer activities section? Or just strictly volunteering?

When do the first interviews usually go out? This here is my TOP school and I would be super happy for some in state love.

Mainly that they don't care so much about their students and that a lot of people get forced to repeat courses or even a year.

Any medical school will have you repeat a class if you fail it and the remediation exam, or have you repeat the year if you failed so many classes that remediation isn't going to help you. Not doing so would be a disservice to the student. I felt like the faculty, especially the physicians, did care about us and if we were struggling. You have to be proactive and willing to reach out for help though. Depending on who your society mentor faculty are, they will actually reach out to you first if they notice you're failing classes.

What I've heard so far is pretty minor. There are a lot of students in the class so some people get lost in the shuffle. They have their white coat and match ceremonies in a cafeteria? which is just odd and unappealing.

Not sure where you got that from, but that's completely false.

There's a lot of competition in the Ft. Lauderdale area during clinical years so sometimes the rotations aren't the best.

I assume you mean Davie area, since from what I remember, we don't have clinical spots in Ft. Lauderdale. As for competition, I don't know if you mean competition within the class for certain sites or competition with other schools. If the former, it depends year by year which site is the most wanted site. Most people don't want to move far so they rank the Dade and Broward county hospitals higher. Some hospitals are better than others, but at the least you'll still be rotating at a hospital and get inpatient experience. If the latter, schools sign contracts with hospitals for how many spots they'll allot for their students. It's already predetermined ahead of time how many students of a certain school can rotate through there, and at Nova you're guaranteed to have a complete 3rd year rotation and partial 4th year schedule set up, even if you're #240 on the lottery and the fact that there's also FAU, UM, and some carib students rotating in the area.

Class rank actually has no influence on if you get your top rotation site. That would defeat the purpose of having a lottery. I'm sure a lot of people wish it was based on class rank though.

Not sure where you got that from, but that's completely false.

Heard it from a current 2nd year going into 3rd. They did say it was a new thing this year for white coat though so maybe it was just one time only or maybe it's new moving forward for whatever reason. I personally don't really care about it, I just thought it was a little weird is all.

Class rank actually has no influence on if you get your top rotation site. That would defeat the purpose of having a lottery. I'm sure a lot of people wish it was based on class rank though.
My bad, that's what I heard from a current student. Maybe they misunderstood, though. Thanks for clarifying.