2017-2018 Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (OU-HCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone think/know if there will be anymore waitlist movement?

Reactions: 2 users
They said it goes all the way til like the week before orientation and nothing’s predictable since other people are waiting on waitlists!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlist movement can happen literally up through orientation, there is just no way to predict how many spots will open up or how deep they have to go to fill those spots but when classes start, they want a full class so if you're on a waitlist, there is still hope

Accepted to Cleveland!!!

Reactions: 6 users
Anyone been brave enough yet or think its a good idea to ask approximately where you are on the waitlist? or if you have a realistic shot at getting off? Last year they went 70 deep. And they expected to have 170 on the list this year. With application resubmissions around the corner, I would hate to drop all that money then get called off a week later

Sent from my SM-G930P using SDN mobile

Anyone been brave enough yet or think its a good idea to ask approximately where you are on the waitlist? or if you have a realistic shot at getting off? Last year they went 70 deep. And they expected to have 170 on the list this year. With application resubmissions around the corner, I would hate to drop all that money then get called off a week later

Sent from my SM-G930P using

I think they have a policy that they don't disclose your WL position, but its worth a shot if you want to call and ask.

I think it would help my anxiety to know my WL position for the Clev campus but I am not brave enough to ask :/ I cant complain as I am in the Athens campus, but I only applied DO so hopefully if I get the call I can celebrate being able to stay with husband.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I think it would help my anxiety to know my WL position for the Clev campus but I am not brave enough to ask :/ I cant complain as I am in the Athens campus, but I only applied DO so hopefully if I get the call I can celebrate being able to stay with husband.
I was annoying enough to ask and they said they can’t say but to keep updating them LOL I have nothing more I’m donnnne

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone that applied to the TCC program gotten an acceptance? I plan on applying this upcoming cycle and I was curious as to what kind of stats would be necessary to be competitive.

Has anyone that applied to the TCC program gotten an acceptance? I plan on applying this upcoming cycle and I was curious as to what kind of stats would be necessary to be competitive.

I didn’t get accepted into TCC, but I did interview for it. I’m not sure what the stats are, but I imagine that they’re slightly above the average acceptance stats for the school. However, I think they’re really more concerned about finding students who want to pursue a career in family medicine, stay in Cleveland, and make a difference in their communities.

Members don't see this ad :)

They will not tell you where you are or if you might be getting off. This is the worst part of the application process, but honestly you just have to learn to be patient. I had put down a $500 non-refundable deposit on a year-long master's program and restarted the application process when I got the call. It's stressful and it sucks, but it is what it is, unfortunately. Wishing you luck! I interviewed for the waitlist on the last day in April and got accepted in mid-May last year, as an out-of-state student.

Does anyone's application portal say this under the To-Do List-

Official Transcript- (Your school) BS- Please send when degree confers

I got a BA and I'm pretty sure I put BA on my application. I hope that they don't think I got a BS and end up having issues. Please let me know.

Does anyone's application portal say this under the To-Do List-

Official Transcript- (Your school) BS- Please send when degree confers

I got a BA and I'm pretty sure I put BA on my application. I hope that they don't think I got a BS and end up having issues. Please let me know.
Call up Admissions, I have spoken with Jill Harman before and she is very nice and helpful and it would probably faster than trying to get a reply on SDN. Always better to be safe and double check with them.

-best of luck

I am applying for the 2019 cycle. I am originally from out of state but went to college in Ohio and want to stay. Does having such ties to the state give me an advantage over other out of state applicants?

I am applying for the 2019 cycle. I am originally from out of state but went to college in Ohio and want to stay. Does having such ties to the state give me an advantage over other out of state applicants?

I would assume so, if you can establish that you would like to stay in Ohio. Changing your residency to Ohio wouldn't hurt, although you'll still be applying as an out-of-state student and paying OOS tuition for the first year.

I would assume so, if you can establish that you would like to stay in Ohio. Changing your residency to Ohio wouldn't hurt, although you'll still be applying as an out-of-state student and paying OOS tuition for the first year.

Iooked into that but couldn’t change it as I haven’t lived for 12 consecutive months due to out of state internships. I’m hoping to mention it in the secondary stage if (hopefully ) I get that far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When is orientation? Reason I ask is bc I'm pretty sure that's when waitlist movement is essentially over. Holding onto hope until then!

When is orientation? Reason I ask is bc I'm pretty sure that's when waitlist movement is essentially over. Holding onto hope until then!
August 16 but you can be pulled off the waitlist up until the first week of classes which start the next week I believe

Orientation is 8/16-17 and 8/21-24. Classes start 8/27. You can be pulled off the waitlist up until classes start.

At this point you should be planning like you're not getting called off the waitlist... But if it does it'll be xmas in June/July

At this point you should be planning like you're not getting called off the waitlist... But if it does it'll be xmas in June/July

That's basically how I'm approaching it. RIP summer job savings :')

I know at least one person accepted to Clev that just turned it down in favor of an instate MD school. Hopefully some more movement this week.

Reactions: 4 users
Is there anyone that was WL that’s been accepted to the post bacc program?

I know at least one person accepted to Clev that just turned it down in favor of an instate MD school. Hopefully some more movement this week.
I didn't hear of any more movement, but maybe that spot will go to someone this week cause OU accepts people weekly

I didn't hear of any more movement, but maybe that spot will go to someone this week cause OU accepts people weekly

I thought they make calls everyday? Or do they pick one day a week in which they all sit down and call on people?

I thought they make calls everyday? Or do they pick one day a week in which they all sit down and call on people?
When I asked them they said weekly but when I asked what day of the week they usually accept people they said it could be any day so I'm not really sure. This process is so confusing.

So I am about to go out of the country for a few weeks and am on the WL should I notify them of this? I will have access to email and my home phone number will have someone there so I can get notified by them relaying the message but I am just not sure how to handle the situation. Any suggestions?

So I am about to go out of the country for a few weeks and am on the WL should I notify them of this? I will have access to email and my home phone number will have someone there so I can get notified by them relaying the message but I am just not sure how to handle the situation. Any suggestions?
You should probably make sure you have cell service (maybe get an international plan). They made it seem like that was the primary method of contact. But i dont think it would be a bad idea to ask the admissions office

Hi everybody! I've been watching this thread for months to keep updated on what's going on. I was getting disappointed at the seemingly lack of wait list movement but I just received a call from Dr. Schriner today telling me I've been accepted! So there's still hope for you all :)

Reactions: 13 users
Hi everybody! I've been watching this thread for months to keep updated on what's going on. I was getting disappointed at the seemingly lack of wait list movement but I just received a call from Dr. Schriner today telling me I've been accepted! So there's still hope for you all :)

Congrats! Main campus?

If you don't mind, what were your stats and when was your interview?
I don't mind! Female, age 22. GPA 3.579, MCAT 505. Application complete a little later in the cycle (January). Interviewed March 23rd, waitlisted, and called off the waitlist last night. I graduated with my BS in 2017 and have been taking the year off to work as a medical assistant in a doctor's office.

Can I ask how many of you had a DO letter? I have shadowed two DO's and I'm thinking about asking for a letter. I have also worked with two MDs that have both written me letters. Thanks! Congrats to everyone accepted! :)

Can I ask how many of you had a DO letter? I have shadowed two DO's and I'm thinking about asking for a letter. I have also worked with two MDs that have both written me letters. Thanks! Congrats to everyone accepted! :)

Was in the same boat. MD letter. Shadowed DO’s and MD’s. Talked about my experiences with both.

I was in a similar situation! Ended up getting a letter from one of the MD's and the DO I shadowed. My interviewers were interested in why I chose DO since they did see the large amounts of MD shadowing, so I think that having the experience from both really helped me in answering that!