2017-2018 Rush Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How did you withdraw? I need to as well.
I just logged into the portal and went to the admissions offer and selected decline.

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm I don’t have that option. I will probably call in the morning.

Hmmm I don’t have that option. I will probably call in the morning.

AMCAS rules say you need to submit something in writing, either by mail or by email.

I just released my acceptance this morning by sending an email to Dean Boyd and the recruitment and admissions staff.

Good luck to everyone on the waitlist. Rush was such a special school!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So I think I remember hearing at second look day that WL movement doesn’t start until mid-May. Did I hear correctly? I am waiting patiently but didn’t really understand this because waitlist movement is already happening at other schools. :(

Just got the waitlist update email and my heart stopped for a second...WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS RUSH?!?!?!

Received a "Waitlist Update" email asking me to send an email RMC to confirm/withdraw my interest in remaining on the WL. I believe they sent it to all WL applicants.

How do you know the class is almost full?

From Jill's email: "As accepted applicants continue to finalize their medical school decisions, we find our class nearing our matriculating class size."

Reactions: 1 user
So still no movement here yet? Not sure since the thread has been really quiet this year...

So still no movement here yet? Not sure since the thread has been really quiet this year...
It was my impression that Rush accepts a significant amount of interviewees. It wouldn't surprise me if the school ends up only needing to pull a handful off of the WL.

To re-applicants accepted, did you reapply the following cycle after being denied? I interviewed at Rush 10/2017 but was rejected. I have 1 WL (very not likely to get off) so I'm facing reapplication. I'm not sure if I should wait a year to "improve my application" or reapply June 2018 this year. I can't decide how dangerous it is to reapply immediately after since everyone I know waits a full year before reapplying.

To re-applicants accepted, did you reapply the following cycle after being denied? I interviewed at Rush 10/2017 but was rejected. I have 1 WL (very not likely to get off) so I'm facing reapplication. I'm not sure if I should wait a year to "improve my application" or reapply June 2018 this year. I can't decide how dangerous it is to reapply immediately after since everyone I know waits a full year before reapplying.
Generally you shouldn’t reapply to a school you were rejected from without significant improvements that would be viewed favorably by the school. Why is “improve my application” in quotes?

Members don't see this ad :)
Generally you shouldn’t reapply to a school you were rejected from without significant improvements that would be viewed favorably by the school. Why is “improve my application” in quotes?

It's in quotes because I don't think there are significant things I can do to improve my application. I feel strongly I was rejected because of my interview. It's hard to say whether more experiences and better essays will be a significant difference hence my apprehension in when to reapply.

It's in quotes because I don't think there are significant things I can do to improve my application. I feel strongly I was rejected because of my interview. It's hard to say whether more experiences and better essays will be a significant difference hence my apprehension in when to reapply.

Was this your only interview?

What did your application look like? Either way, if you feel that it was your interview that caused you to be rejected, then I think it will be a hard sell next year when you apply. I would be thinking to myself, "why would I want to immediately reapply to a school that rejected me because I suspect they didn't like my personality?". If you think your scores were too low or you didn't show enough dedication to the profession through meaningful experiences, then that's - reapply when after improving. Not sure what to do when your rejected based off of something as subject as an interview.
Although I remember that Rush had 3 different interviews. Which one did you feel didn't go the best?

I wasn't a re-applicant to Rush, but this was my second cycle and I had 3-4 years in between them. If you think you were rejected based off of your interview then I would really try to revamp how you come across. I meshed really well with everyone I met on interview day at Rush (staff, faculty, students, host, fellow applicants, etc.) so maybe I'm biased, but I think they put a lot of stock into how you came across during the interview. I wasn't super polished or extremely effervescent either (at least I don't think so; I was nervous & felt so lucky to be there).

However, if they offered you an interview, which my understanding is that they have a relatively lower applications-to-interviews ratio, then they saw something in your application. Maybe tweak some things (possibly after asking for feedback from someone at Rush), adjust your interview skills, and re-apply.

Also, I don't mean to knock your interview skills. I just know that personally I did not come across or feel super enthusiastic at some of my interviews after Rush, and I was subsequently rejected or wait-listed. I wasn't rude, or even unfriendly, I just didn't vibe with them and I could feel it, and the rejection was expected.

Was this your only interview?

No I interviewed at my state school, OHSU, but got waitlisted

I wasn't a re-applicant to Rush, but this was my second cycle and I had 3-4 years in between them. If you think you were rejected based off of your interview then I would really try to revamp how you come across. I meshed really well with everyone I met on interview day at Rush (staff, faculty, students, host, fellow applicants, etc.) so maybe I'm biased, but I think they put a lot of stock into how you came across during the interview. I wasn't super polished or extremely effervescent either (at least I don't think so; I was nervous & felt so lucky to be there).

However, if they offered you an interview, which my understanding is that they have a relatively lower applications-to-interviews ratio, then they saw something in your application. Maybe tweak some things (possibly after asking for feedback from someone at Rush), adjust your interview skills, and re-apply.

Also, I don't mean to knock your interview skills. I just know that personally I did not come across or feel super enthusiastic at some of my interviews after Rush, and I was subsequently rejected or wait-listed. I wasn't rude, or even unfriendly, I just didn't vibe with them and I could feel it, and the rejection was expected.

I was so nervous during my interview/the entire day I know I came across as not interested or particularly friendly. During my one on one interview I was asked at least 3 different times if I had any more questions for my interviewer and eventually I didn’t and it was definitely awkward. In my application I wrote about being Mexican and how my families experiences in healthcare have shaped my perspective. I touched in this during the interview but I didn’t want to spend the entire time talking about being Mexican although I suspected my interviewer wanted that.

I’m wanting to reapply because I do really feel the Rush would have been an amazing fit. I left that interview, as compared to OHSU, feeling like this was exactly what I was looking for a medical school. I just don’t think I came like that. Although I don’t consider myself an introvert, I was far more introverted than anyone else there.

What did your application look like? Either way, if you feel that it was your interview that caused you to be rejected, then I think it will be a hard sell next year when you apply. I would be thinking to myself, "why would I want to immediately reapply to a school that rejected me because I suspect they didn't like my personality?". If you think your scores were too low or you didn't show enough dedication to the profession through meaningful experiences, then that's - reapply when after improving. Not sure what to do when your rejected based off of something as subject as an interview.
Although I remember that Rush had 3 different interviews. Which one did you feel didn't go the best?

I think it was my one on one that tanked it. As far as my application, I turned it in a little late (but they still sent me an interview invite within 2 weeks), my GPAs are average for everywhere I applied, my MCAT is on the lower side nothing shocking, and I have a TON of volunteer/leadership/direct patient work experience since I graduated in 2016.

I think it was my one on one that tanked it. As far as my application, I turned it in a little late (but they still sent me an interview invite within 2 weeks), my GPAs are average for everywhere I applied, my MCAT is on the lower side nothing shocking, and I have a TON of volunteer/leadership/direct patient work experience since I graduated in 2016.

Give Dean Boyd a call and ask her about reapplicants. I think anything you would read on here is simply speculation. I would say that maybe your MCAT is the issue, but if it isnt supper low, then I wouldn't bother retaking it. What was the percentile? You may want to reapply to different schools and early in the cycle.

No I interviewed at my state school, OHSU, but got waitlisted

I'm not sure how many schools you applied to but if only two responded out of a larger number you might want to go through your app with a fine-toothed comb. A low section on the MCAT? A red flag in your personal statement? It also seems like you applied late from your comments below. Anything after August significantly diminishes your chances.

I'm not trying to put you down at all - it's a large accomplishment to receive interviews. I just wouldn't want you to go through all of this again if there is something you can fix to get a better result next time. I'm not exactly sure if they do this or not but since there's such a low number of interviewees here you might reach out to them for feedback on your app/interview and see if you can quickly target these things before reapplying next month/interviewing in a few months or if the issues will take longer to address you could take a gap year.

I'm not sure how many schools you applied to but if only two responded out of a larger number you might want to go through your app with a fine-toothed comb. A low section on the MCAT? A red flag in your personal statement? It also seems like you applied late from your comments below. Anything after August significantly diminishes your chances.

I'm not trying to put you down at all - it's a large accomplishment to receive interviews. I just wouldn't want you to go through all of this again if there is something you can fix to get a better result next time. I'm not exactly sure if they do this or not but since there's such a low number of interviewees here you might reach out to them for feedback on your app/interview and see if you can quickly target these things before reapplying next month/interviewing in a few months or if the issues will take longer to address you could take a gap year.

Hey thanks for the advice. I only applied to 8 schools, interviewed at 2. I contacted Rush via email and they said they don't offer feedback. I may call them though. Either way, I think I'm going to wait a year and reapply next cycle because I'm feeling too rushed to apply in a couple weeks. Best of luck!

I'm currently holding an acceptance to Rush, but was accepted this morning to another school that is closer to home.

So, I need to decide between EVMS and Rush. I like both schools, but feel like I still don't know enough to make a decision. Would anyone mind giving me some insight? (I made a school X vs Y thread: Rush Medical College vs EVMS) I'd like to decide ASAP so that I can open up spots for other waitlisted applicants. Appreciate all the help!

Hey thanks for the advice. I only applied to 8 schools, interviewed at 2. I contacted Rush via email and they said they don't offer feedback. I may call them though. Either way, I think I'm going to wait a year and reapply next cycle because I'm feeling too rushed to apply in a couple weeks. Best of luck!

That sounds like a good plan. 2 out of 8 isn't bad at all! Maybe just cast a wider net next time if it's financially possible! Best of luck.

Any info from your acceptance that applies to us waitlisters??? Also congrats!!!
Thanks!!! Jill mentioned that it’s been a tough cycle and she wasn’t sure when she’d get to use the waitlist...also said that she called two other waitlister’s today. Praying for you all! Also not sure if this is helpful but I wrote a letter of intent, and who knows maybe that helped so if you haven’t already give it a try!
Any info from your acceptance that applies to us waitlisters??? Also congrats!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Assuming that means 3 spots opened and were filled rather quickly. Guess we have to wait for someone else to move off of a different school’s waitlist