2017-2018 Stony Brook University

Started by Lucca
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got an email from them 9/6 that said I was rejected from the MSTP program but still under consideration for MD.
 
Current OOS MS1 here. Feel free to PM me with questions or ask them here. Hopefully I'll check in periodically throughout the cycle.
 
Current OOS MS1 here. Feel free to PM me with questions or ask them here. Hopefully I'll check in periodically throughout the cycle.
Hey, can you give a few reasons about what makes Stony Brook special and why you chose to attend? Thank you!
 
Hey, can you give a few reasons about what makes Stony Brook special and why you chose to attend? Thank you!

I personally went to a suburban college town and did really enjoyed that lifestyle. That was one of my biggest reasons for attending SB, not that I had much choice. The city is a convenient getaway and easy to get to. You're not going to have that much time during med school to really enjoy everything a major city has to offer. I specifically didn't want to go to a school in a congested city because I couldn't live day to day like that.

In all honesty, medical schools are mostly the same. SB has the benefit of IS tuition for us OOS folk (after 1st year you can establish NYS residency). It has great research connections and is pushing to become a more recognized academic center. The school is growing its research portfolio in basic, translational and clinical science. The school lets its students get heavily involved in its curriculum. For example, we are currently taking anatomy and biochem and several upperclassmen serve as TAs alongside faculty and graduate students. Our radiology lectures are taught by a MS3. I believe he got the job after he complained about not having enough radiology exposure during his anatomy course. Faculty ended up creating a TA position specifically for radiology in anatomy for him as a MS2. He was later invited to teach radiology lectures in our anatomy courses as a MS3.

I enjoy our curriculum a lot. The administration is very receptive to feedback and faculty/staff are not only engaged in teaching (some are not great lecturers but are still very passionate and helpful), but also incredibly flexible (i.e. move paper due dates around, ask for extensions). And as previously mentioned, the administration lets the students plan their career trajectory by creating/setting up electives for whatever the student wants to participate in. Preclinicals are H/P/F, which can be unnecessary pressure but I think that depends mostly on the individual's mindset. If you care about getting honors for everything, then of course you're going to get overwhelmed with studying, but if you're just trying to learn as much as you can, with honors being a perk, then it really won't bother you.

So to summarize, it's a great public school with easy access to IS tuition for OOS students and a growing academic presence. Class is geographically and ethnically diverse. I enjoy the suburban setting. I also got along with the interviewees in my pool the best compared to other interviews. Administration is friendly and receptive to student participation in all efforts of the school.
 
I personally went to a suburban college town and did really enjoyed that lifestyle. That was one of my biggest reasons for attending SB, not that I had much choice. The city is a convenient getaway and easy to get to. You're not going to have that much time during med school to really enjoy everything a major city has to offer. I specifically didn't want to go to a school in a congested city because I couldn't live day to day like that.

In all honesty, medical schools are mostly the same. SB has the benefit of IS tuition for us OOS folk (after 1st year you can establish NYS residency). It has great research connections and is pushing to become a more recognized academic center. The school is growing its research portfolio in basic, translational and clinical science. The school lets its students get heavily involved in its curriculum. For example, we are currently taking anatomy and biochem and several upperclassmen serve as TAs alongside faculty and graduate students. Our radiology lectures are taught by a MS3. I believe he got the job after he complained about not having enough radiology exposure during his anatomy course. Faculty ended up creating a TA position specifically for radiology in anatomy for him as a MS2. He was later invited to teach radiology lectures in our anatomy courses as a MS3.

I enjoy our curriculum a lot. The administration is very receptive to feedback and faculty/staff are not only engaged in teaching (some are not great lecturers but are still very passionate and helpful), but also incredibly flexible (i.e. move paper due dates around, ask for extensions). And as previously mentioned, the administration lets the students plan their career trajectory by creating/setting up electives for whatever the student wants to participate in. Preclinicals are H/P/F, which can be unnecessary pressure but I think that depends mostly on the individual's mindset. If you care about getting honors for everything, then of course you're going to get overwhelmed with studying, but if you're just trying to learn as much as you can, with honors being a perk, then it really won't bother you.

So to summarize, it's a great public school with easy access to IS tuition for OOS students and a growing academic presence. Class is geographically and ethnically diverse. I enjoy the suburban setting. I also got along with the interviewees in my pool the best compared to other interviews. Administration is friendly and receptive to student participation in all efforts of the school.
Thank you very much for your response. Good luck!
 
So my personal statement described an obstacle i've overcome and how it has defined me, so in the secondary I just said, "I feel that my personal statement answers this question adequately". Looking back I now feel like a wise-a** who was too lazy to find something else to write. You guys think this would ruin my chances here?
 
So my personal statement described an obstacle i've overcome and how it has defined me, so in the secondary I just said, "I feel that my personal statement answers this question adequately". Looking back I now feel like a wise-a** who was too lazy to find something else to write. You guys think this would ruin my chances here?


Did you actually say that? If so, "thank you for your $ donation to this school".
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So my personal statement described an obstacle i've overcome and how it has defined me, so in the secondary I just said, "I feel that my personal statement answers this question adequately". Looking back I now feel like a wise-a** who was too lazy to find something else to write. You guys think this would ruin my chances here?

:troll: I hope, otherwise... :smack::boom::thinking:
 
So my personal statement described an obstacle i've overcome and how it has defined me, so in the secondary I just said, "I feel that my personal statement answers this question adequately". Looking back I now feel like a wise-a** who was too lazy to find something else to write. You guys think this would ruin my chances here?

You're not going to make it in this town.
 
So my personal statement described an obstacle i've overcome and how it has defined me, so in the secondary I just said, "I feel that my personal statement answers this question adequately". Looking back I now feel like a wise-a** who was too lazy to find something else to write. You guys think this would ruin my chances here?
I guess we'll have to wait and see!
 
50% IIs gone by the end of Sept

Schools like Oakland beaumont have an interview invite tracker on their website, they sent out 132 IIs out of an expected 500 so far. Since this thread has much less posts than Oakland Beaumont I'm guessing we're not even that far yet.
 
interviewing here in a few weeks, the earliest interview spots they had last week were for October 3rd. They interview tues, thurs, and fri. So I think they still have a lot more to give out.


Does anyone who has interviewed here know approximately what time interviews start in the morning? They said they end at 2:30 and would email with more specifics closer to the date, but I live in CT and start time will determine if I need to get a hotel.
 
50% IIs gone by the end of Sept

Schools like Oakland beaumont have an interview invite tracker on their website, they sent out 132 IIs out of an expected 500 so far. Since this thread has much less posts than Oakland Beaumont I'm guessing we're not even that far yet.

SBU interviews until mid-March and gives out invitations until mid or late February.

interviewing here in a few weeks, the earliest interview spots they had last week were for October 3rd. They interview tues, thurs, and fri. So I think they still have a lot more to give out.


Does anyone who has interviewed here know approximately what time interviews start in the morning? They said they end at 2:30 and would email with more specifics closer to the date, but I live in CT and start time will determine if I need to get a hotel.

thanks guys - sounds like we probably have at least 3/4 more to go. no time to lose hope yet!
 
does anyone have a rough idea what percentage of II has been sent out for this school?
Current SBU med student. I wouldn't worry so much about that. Personally, I completed my primary in September, sent the secondary in December, interviewed in March. I know they say the earlier the better, but if you have a solid application, things will work out. Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Current SBU med student. I wouldn't worry so much about that. Personally, I completed my primary in September, sent the secondary in December, interviewed in March. I know they say the earlier the better, but if you have a solid application, things will work out. Good luck!

As in verified in September? Dang sir props to you. How many IIs did you get the whole cycle?
 
interviewing here in a few weeks, the earliest interview spots they had last week were for October 3rd. They interview tues, thurs, and fri. So I think they still have a lot more to give out.


Does anyone who has interviewed here know approximately what time interviews start in the morning? They said they end at 2:30 and would email with more specifics closer to the date, but I live in CT and start time will determine if I need to get a hotel.

I just interviewed here and interviews start anytime from 8 am to 11 am (it's staggered so people come in at different times), then everyone gets lunch together with current med students at 12 and then you get out by 1:45 pm (at least thats what it was like for me). I live in a different state too and got a hotel and it was so worth it because the hotel is a 10 minute walk away from the building you need to be at! But you won't know what time you need to be there until a week prior
 
I just interviewed here and interviews start anytime from 8 am to 11 am (it's staggered so people come in at different times), then everyone gets lunch together with current med students at 12 and then you get out by 1:45 pm (at least thats what it was like for me). I live in a different state too and got a hotel and it was so worth it because the hotel is a 10 minute walk away from the building you need to be at! But you won't know what time you need to be there until a week prior
How was the interview in your opinion? Did they do any grilling RE your academics, ECs, or anything else? I'm prepping for mine now and curious to see what someone thought of the style this cycle.

Thank you!
 
How was the interview in your opinion? Did they do any grilling RE your academics, ECs, or anything else? I'm prepping for mine now and curious to see what someone thought of the style this cycle.

Thank you!

it was super laidback for me! they actually didn't even mention almost anything from my app... mostly just a nice friendly conversation 🙂
 
it was super laidback for me! they actually didn't even mention almost anything from my app... mostly just a nice friendly conversation 🙂
Awesome, thank you! Good luck, I am hoping for a laidback interview because it's my first one and I'm nervous af lol.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad