2017-2018 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Waitlist letter today! Interviewed on 10/19.

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted earlier today to the Navy! Glad I decided to apply here! Goodluck to everyone else!

Interviewed 10/19

Reactions: 3 users
What area code do the calls come from? I missed one today that simply said "united states".

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I am still getting the hang of SDN and am sorry if my question was already answered. I was wondering if anyone can tell me the format of the interview or direct me to where its already been answered? I am interviewing mid dec! Thanks in advance! Good luck everyone

Waitlisted, letter received today. Interviewed 10/5, Navy was first choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Waitlisted today, Navy was my top choice, interviewed 10/19 :)

Does anyone know how many people they accept off the waitlist? In other words, if you're on the wait list, how likely is your chance of getting an eventual acceptance?

Does anyone know how many people they accept off the waitlist? In other words, if you're on the wait list, how likely is your chance of getting an eventual acceptance?
I'm not sure how accurate it is, but on MSAR it says that the number of acceptance offers granted to applicants on the waitlist is 100. Seems to simple of a number to be completely accurate to me, but its the best info I've been able to find so far. Also, "approximately 300 offers to matriculate 171 students" is at the bottom of the post interview guide.... so I guess that kinda supports the 100ish pulled from the waitlist concept.

Common sense would say lots. With the physical + security clearance + cold feet wrt .mil service + multiple accepts... I'd assume a lot of movement.

I'm not sure how accurate it is, but on MSAR it says that the number of acceptance offers granted to applicants on the waitlist is 100. Seems to simple of a number to be completely accurate to me, but its the best info I've been able to find so far. Also, "approximately 300 offers to matriculate 171 students" is at the bottom of the post interview guide.... so I guess that kinda supports the 100ish pulled from the waitlist concept.

Common sense would say lots. With the physical + security clearance + cold feet wrt .mil service + multiple accepts... I'd assume a lot of movement.

Thanks guys! Here's hoping for all of us waitlisters!

Members don't see this ad :)
II for the 7th of Dec. Applied and finished late Oct. Anyone down for a beer post interview?

II for the 7th of Dec. Applied and finished late Oct. Anyone down for a beer post interview?

If I didn't have a final the very next day I would be in. Unfortunately I have to drive back to Norfolk when the interview ends. :/

How strict is the taped test? on Dodmerb website , its showing my status as Qualified but I receive an email saying that I need to do a taping test.

Waitlist letter yesterday, interviewed 10/19, preffed AF

Hey everyone, I am still getting the hang of SDN and am sorry if my question was already answered. I was wondering if anyone can tell me the format of the interview or direct me to where its already been answered? I am interviewing mid dec! Thanks in advance! Good luck everyone

Traditional format, two interviews about 45 mins each.

Anybody from the 10/26 interview group hear back yet? I haven't checked my physical mail this much since all those waitlists have been rolling out. O.O

Placed on hold via mail :( Interviewed on 10/5.

should I be worried? I submitted my secondary in July and have received the email that they want to see more of the applicant pool before making a decision about my application. I am worrying that the AF spots are going to be full. I am prior service AF so that is the branch I would choose.

Last edited:
should I be worried? I submitted my secondary in July and have received the email that they want to see more of the applicant pool before making a decision about my application. I am worrying that the AF spots are going to be full. I am prior service AF so that is the branch I would choose.
Pretty sure that all the branches are full as of right now (besides maybe army), based on my understanding of how this USU process works. I wouldn't stress at this point! There will be plenty of waitlist movement so don't give up hope if you get an interview later in the cycle. I remember hearing/reading somewhere that their waitlist is ranked so even if you're put on it in February your chances could be as good as someone waitlisted in November - so long as you're physically qualified (which I'm sure you are with prior AF service!)

Pretty sure that all the branches are full as of right now (besides maybe army), based on my understanding of how this USU process works. I wouldn't stress at this point! There will be plenty of waitlist movement so don't give up hope if you get an interview later in the cycle. I remember hearing/reading somewhere that their waitlist is ranked so even if you're put on it in February your chances could be as good as someone waitlisted in November - so long as you're physically qualified (which I'm sure you are with prior AF service!)
Thanks. I have several DO acceptances and am doing the HPSP through them. I would rather have the 4 years of med school count as time in service though, seeing as how I already have 6 credible years in. Thanks for the reply

Interviewed 10/5. Waitlisted, Air Force, on 11/14. I've read and been told that getting off AF waitlist is near impossible - but I didn't lose hope. ACCEPTED AIR FORCE - 11/30 via call! :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

Keep your faith and your heads up! Good luck to everyone!!

Reactions: 13 users
Thanks. I have several DO acceptances and am doing the HPSP through them. I would rather have the 4 years of med school count as time in service though, seeing as how I already have 6 credible years in. Thanks for the reply

You do not accumulate time in service while at USU. You will hold at six (or zero if you had no prior service) for your four years of school, so your pay stays the same with respect to TIS. The exception is if you retire, those four years are added back on for retirement pay, so your pension would be calculated for 24 years of service if you retire at 20 years. Hope that clarifies things.

Reactions: 2 users
You do not accumulate time in service while at USU. You will hold at six (or zero if you had no prior service) for your four years of school, so your pay stays the same with respect to TIS. The exception is if you retire, those four years are added back on for retirement pay, so your pension would be calculated for 24 years of service if you retire at 20 years. Hope that clarifies things.
residency counts toward retirement though, right? Not toward the 7 you owe, but towards 20.

Yeah that’s annoying for those of us with time in. I will have 7 years in when I start, and to not go up to over 10 while I’m in is a lot of money lost. Still better than the stipend I would get from HPSP though.

Hey everyone. I wanted to see if anyone had a link to or could provide any more details about the interviews? (Advice to prepare, differences between the two interviews, what time you were released, etc.) Also, as an E-5 in the Army National Guard I'm curious about protocols regarding customs and courtesies while on campus. I realize I'll be an enlisted in a sea of officers and wondering how much they expect salutes/greetings and if I should approach the interview sort of like a board review. Never really been in this type of scenario. Obviously they interview many with no prior experience so they don't expect it, just wondering if it's a good idea for current enlisted to follow customs under these circumstances.

I interview on 12/7. Congrats to all those accepted! Still hoping there's some Army spots, I know I'm coming in a bit late... super nervous!

Hey everyone. I wanted to see if anyone had a link to or could provide any more details about the interviews? (Advice to prepare, differences between the two interviews, what time you were released, etc.) Also, as an E-5 in the Army National Guard I'm curious about protocols regarding customs and courtesies while on campus. I realize I'll be an enlisted in a sea of officers and wondering how much they expect salutes/greetings and if I should approach the interview sort of like a board review. Never really been in this type of scenario. Obviously they interview many with no prior experience so they don't expect it, just wondering if it's a good idea for current enlisted to follow customs under these circumstances.

I interview on 12/7. Congrats to all those accepted! Still hoping there's some Army spots, I know I'm coming in a bit late... super nervous!

There are plenty of enlisted on base. The actual campus is no cover, no salute, so that’s a non-issue. Are you interviewing in your uniform? We were told that active duty is required to interview in uniform, but I don’t know if that applies to NG. If you’re not in uniform, just be polite. If you are in uniform, do what you would do on any other base, except when you step onto the actual campus (like where the physical med school buildings are), take off your cover and give verbal greetings.

As for the actual interview, they are very chill for the most part. However, as an E-5, expect your interviewers to be O-5s or O-6s. Be polite and have military bearing, but you don’t have to sandwich every question or sit at super attention.

Also, just to throw it out there, Dr. Saguil told us he prefers to be called Dr instead of Colonel.

Anyone interviewed on 11/2 got any news?

Surprised but also super excited, I just received an II this morning for January 18. It seems looking through the thread that an interview that late might be for the waitlist? Any thoughts? I am hoping for Public Health Service Corps, as I have my MPH and worked full time for the state Department of Health for 3+ years. I still definitely think interviewing for the waitlist is better than not interviewing at all. Just want to be realistic about my chances. I submitted my primary really late (October).

Surprised but also super excited, I just received an II this morning for January 18. It seems looking through the thread that an interview that late might be for the waitlist? Any thoughts? I am hoping for Public Health Service Corps, as I have my MPH and worked full time for the state Department of Health for 3+ years. I still definitely think interviewing for the waitlist is better than not interviewing at all. Just want to be realistic about my chances. I submitted my primary really late (October).
Pretty sure thats the last, if not one of the last interview dates (they end in January). I interviewed in October and am already on the waitlist.... They have a lot of movement though compared to most schools!! So anticipate the waitlist but be hopeful about it :)

Reactions: 2 users

You miss all the shots you don’t take, right? I got off of the waitlist within 2 weeks after being told I was waitlisted. Congratulations on your II & wish you all the best!

I just got an invite as well. I am really hoping that this one works out. 5 years prior service AF.

There are very few spots for PHS. Good luck to you. I love the Navy, but the PHS is the only service I would consider transferring to.

There are very few spots for PHS. Good luck to you. I love the Navy, but the PHS is the only service I would consider transferring to.
Navy is my second choice right now, but I also see those spots might be slim. I'm honestly just excited that I have the opportunity to interview at this point. I am lucky enough to have acceptances elsewhere, but this school is in my top 3. Should I still rank PHS as my top preference, even if the chances are slim? Or would it help me on the waitlist to list Navy as #1? Sorry if this has all been answered, I am way late to the game and a non-trad applicant who doesn't have a lot of knowledge about how all of this works.

Good luck. Hoping to stay AF?
I sure am. had a really great experience the first time. I am anticipating getting put on the waitlist. is there much movement for AF? i have already been accepted to HPSP AF as a second option.

I’m not sure what movement is like on the AF side, but it seems to be that all the branches are having good movement this year from what I’ve heard. The AF cats in my cohort are pretty cool for the most part. A couple stuffed shirts, but mostly chill. The Navy is where I grew up military-wise, so I wouldn’t trade it. I’d be out of place with a bunch of airmen.

Navy is my second choice right now, but I also see those spots might be slim. I'm honestly just excited that I have the opportunity to interview at this point. I am lucky enough to have acceptances elsewhere, but this school is in my top 3. Should I still rank PHS as my top preference, even if the chances are slim? Or would it help me on the waitlist to list Navy as #1? Sorry if this has all been answered, I am way late to the game and a non-trad applicant who doesn't have a lot of knowledge about how all of this works.

If you get on the waitlist, you have a much better chance of making it through the Navy than PHS. PHS takes like 2 people per class. The Navy has the second highest number of slots, I believe.

The Navy is pretty cool, if I do say so myself. Definitely opportunities to do global and public health if that’s your thing.

Was accepted but recently informed that got my waiver disapproved. Trying to appeal.

If anyone has any recommendations for new material that I can submit, shoot me a message.

My dodmerb still hasn’t been cleared, though I am pretty certain it will be as not much has changed since I was cleared 5 years ago for AFROTC. Could this be why I haven’t heard anything since my interview late October?

Interviewed today. Loved it. Fingers crossed. I was told there's still plenty of spots left in the Navy and it looks like they're making more spots in PHS. I believe the #s given were 4-5? Anyways, for all you PH peeps, good luck! This might be your year!

I've got twelve years experience in the hurry up and wait department, but these next 6-8 weeks are going to be challenging.

Reactions: 4 users