2017-2018 University of California - San Francisco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@Killa_T and other people who interviewed at UCSF, do you think it's possible to make an 8:30 pm (leaving time, not boarding time) flight back home from SFO?

How's the traffic in SF from UCSF -> SFO around 5pm?

Thanks for any tips!

Members don't see this ad.

@Killa_T and other people who interviewed at UCSF, do you think it's possible to make an 8:30 pm (leaving time, not boarding time) flight back home from SFO?

Thanks for any tips!
Hi, I'm a local. The traffic will be heavy, but the airport is not too far from the main Parnassus campus. If your last interview of the day is somewhere else in town, you might be a little farther or a little closer, but you should be able to make it in time for an 8:30pm flight, whether driving or public transit.
ps - if driving, try to avoid 19th Ave.
pps - the traffic estimates on Google Maps are usually accurate for the Bay Area. I just mapped out estimates for a Tuesday 5pm and it was 25-45 minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Thanks for any tips!
Wish I could help, but I didn't fly out of SFO on my interview day. I think you should be able to make it by 8:30 though, especially if you have TSA pre

Members don't see this ad :)
Wish I could help, but I didn't fly out of SFO on my interview day. I think you should be able to make it by 8:30 though, especially if you have TSA pre
Hi, I'm a local. The traffic will be heavy, but the airport is not too far from the main Parnassus campus. If your last interview of the day is somewhere else in town, you might be a little farther or a little closer, but you should be able to make it in time for an 8:30pm flight, whether driving or public transit.
ps - if driving, try to avoid 19th Ave.
pps - the traffic estimates on Google Maps are usually accurate for the Bay Area. I just mapped out estimates for a Tuesday 5pm and it was 25-45 minutes.

Thanks for the responses guys!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if merit aid is offered, or know of independent merit-based financial scholarships? I remember hearing that merit aid is not provided at UCSF, but am still hopeful. :xf:

Bumping this!

Quick internet search reveals SF awards the rare Regents Scholarship (not sure the amount; automatic consideration) as well as the CAGIM Scholarship (~$26,000; application) for avid runners. Just curious to know if they announce these packages in the acceptance letter or later. Anyway, good luck to everyone and Happy New Year!! :)

If I haven't received an interview invite yet and have been complete since late September, should I just accept that UCSF won't really be much of a chance at this point? Asking because I really want to send a letter of intent at one school but UCSF is the only school I would choose over this one school if I had offers to both.

Quick internet search reveals SF awards the rare Regents Scholarship (not sure the amount; automatic consideration) as well as the CAGIM Scholarship (~$26,000; application) for avid runners. Just curious to know if they announce these packages in the acceptance letter or later. Anyway, good luck to everyone and Happy New Year!! :)

Current student- have never heard of these scholarships but would imagine that they’re for current students rather than applicants. UCSF explicitly does not offer merit aid of any sort to incoming students.

Any instructions on interview day regarding Thank You Notes?
Any advice would be appreciated!

Any instructions on interview day regarding Thank You Notes?
Any advice would be appreciated!
They explicitly said no thank you notes or contact with interviewers!

They explicitly said no thank you notes or contact with interviewers!

How did the interviews work for UCSF? Did you have to travel to different hospitals around the SF area?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone who has been accepted know what happens when you submit the response to your offer on the portal? I see the two buttons that say "I accept the offer and plan to matriculate in the fall" and "I decline the offer and plan to matriculate at another institution in the fall". However, unlike some other schools, there isn't a date by which I need to accept the offer by. Should I only accept the offer if I know UCSF is my final choice on April 29th, or do I need to accept the offer to hold my place and then withdraw later if I choose to go somewhere else?

Does anyone who has been accepted know what happens when you submit the response to your offer on the portal? I see the two buttons that say "I accept the offer and plan to matriculate in the fall" and "I decline the offer and plan to matriculate at another institution in the fall". However, unlike some other schools, there isn't a date by which I need to accept the offer by. Should I only accept the offer if I know UCSF is my final choice on April 29th, or do I need to accept the offer to hold my place and then withdraw later if I choose to go somewhere else?
I also have this question

Damn this is the nicest rejection. Pre-secondary. Verified late aug.

Rejected pre-interview today. I'm definitely a little sad, but not too surprised Good luck guys! :)

Just rejected pre-interview. Feeling down but such is life. Good luck to everyone else holding on!

Also rejected pre-interview sadly. Best of luck to those still in the running :)

I emailed them asking them if they had sent me a secondary and maybe I happened to lose it in my email (I deleted a large amount of my emails a while ago accidentally) and they said they haven't sent me anything so far. LOL, RIP in peace.

Got the axe today. Complete early Nov. Was my dream school :(

What are y'all's complete dates?
Mine was like 11/8. My PI use to be an accom here and said I would be a great fit. LGBT with an interest in HIV research. LM was 67 tho which was probably too low for them.

Hey so sorry to ask again but does anyone know the last II day? I know invites stopped going out around Jan 11-12 last year but does anyone know when the actual last interview day is?

Spoke too soon. Also rejected today with the nicest rejection email

Last edited:
rejected late last night, was complete early july.

Got hit with the sweetest R tonight. Complete early October. LM 76.

So long UCSF! Good luck to everyone else!

Also rejected today post-secondary. Complete early November, IS, LM 75.

Anyone who interviewed late Nov know when we’ll get our decisions?

Just got the R. In state, LM 66-71, super late post-Thanksgiving secondary/complete.
Congrats to everyone in the running and accepted! San Francisco is my hometown and an amazing city.

Anyone with an interview date later in January who would POSSIBLY be willing to switch interview dates with me? (I'm on 1/18)

-Stressed in San Francisco

Current student- have never heard of these scholarships but would imagine that they’re for current students rather than applicants. UCSF explicitly does not offer merit aid of any sort to incoming students.

Actually, limited merit aid may be offered with admission. It's more of an honor and something to list on your CV. Don't expect too much and apply for whatever need-based aid and outside scholarships you can.

Last edited:
Anyone with an interview date later in January who would POSSIBLY be willing to switch interview dates with me? (I'm on 1/18)

-Stressed in San Francisco

Did you call the school? I just rescheduled my 1/25 interview for the last interview day on 2/1. Call them first thing tomorrow and see if that spot's open.

Actually, limited merit aid may be offered with admission. It's more of an honor and something to list on your CV. Don't expect more than ~$5k/yr from something like the Regent's scholarship and apply for whatever need-based aid and outside scholarships you can.
Did you get merit aid? If so, did it show up on your acceptance email or in a separate email?

Actually, limited merit aid may be offered with admission. It's more of an honor and something to list on your CV. Don't expect more than ~$5k/yr from something like the Regent's scholarship and apply for whatever need-based aid and outside scholarships you can.

Interesting... what I stated is what we’d heard from the deans when getting info to share with the now-MS2s, so wonder if that was a recent change.

Did you call the school? I just rescheduled my 1/25 interview for the last interview day on 2/1. Call them first thing tomorrow and see if that spot's open.
Looks like I snagged your spot :)

Sitting here dying waiting for the next batch of decisions to come out. Have they rejected anyone post-II yet?

Interesting... what I stated is what we’d heard from the deans when getting info to share with the now-MS2s, so wonder if that was a recent change.

From ucsf website

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180113-073920.jpg
    Screenshot_20180113-073920.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 200
has anybody been accepted into the JMP? from what I have seen everyone who reported was chosen as an alternate

Long time lurker. First time poster. Just accepted to UCSF tonight. Notified by email. (Don’t freak out if the subject line just says “status update.”)

Complete late August, interviewed early December. IS.

Good luck everyone!!

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted to UCSF today, also IS also complete late August and also interviewed early December. Good luck to all!

Reactions: 2 users
Waitlist :/ OOS, interviewed early/mid December. It’s hard to not be upset - I really loved UCSF on my interview day

Waitlist :/ OOS, interviewed early/mid December. It’s hard to not be upset - I really loved UCSF on my interview day
Right there with ya. Keep the faith though, we're not out of the running just yet. There's bound to be some serious waitlist movement.