2017-2018 University of Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else get scholarship info recently? Maybe the snow storm is delaying some news. I’m keeping my fingers crossed.
nope, but i'm checking the mail everyday with fingers crossed too! :arghh:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else get scholarship info recently? Maybe the snow storm is delaying some news. I’m keeping my fingers crossed.
Late reply here but received 100k scholarship for all 4 years back in early Feb. I interviewed in September and was accepted in October.

Edit: I received it via snail mail and not e-mail.

Reactions: 2 users
Late reply here but received 100k scholarship for all 4 years back in early Feb. I interviewed in September and was accepted in October.

Edit: I received it via snail mail and not e-mail.
sorry if you said it elsewhere on the thread but are you in state or out of state?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you both only have to submit FAFSA, or did you have to do something else for UMB financial aid/scholarship?

FAFSA doesnt come out until late April. Their scholarships r probably merit scholarships.

Correct, this was a merit scholarship.
Ah yes, I asked because I believe some medical school institutions require one to formally apply for financial aid in order to receive any type of scholarship, including merit, even though it's not based on need.

Ah yes, I asked because I believe some medical school institutions require one to formally apply for financial aid in order to receive any type of scholarship, including merit, even though it's not based on need.
The letter about my merit scholarship said that in order to actually receive the scholarship you had to submit FAFSA so you are correct. But i think that as of now they have only sent anything out about merit scholarships

What sucks is that I had a dream last night I got an almost full merit scholarship + financial aid lol.

It was also April fools, so I guess I bamboozled myself

Reactions: 2 users
Award letters are up! Received confirmation today via e-mail.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone get a notification that they need to provide proof of citizenship and social security card? I didn't get my award because it said I had these requirements to fulfill

It varies -- it's not up for everyone yet, but it's going up for some people. The financial aid office told me that they would be notifying people within the next 2 weeks.

Hmm, do y'all think it's worth to send in any updates if I just got waitlisted? Not expecting to get off by any means but am wondering if an update would help or not. Thanks!!

Is the award letter on your portal? (I don't see anything but not sure if I'm just blind and missing it)

And is this all merit based or just general financial aid package available?

Is the award letter on your portal? (I don't see anything but not sure if I'm just blind and missing it)

Financial aid only

You should get an email. It's not on your portal because it's through a diff website. If you didn't get an email, they are still working on it and will probably have it sent by end of April. I got mine because I sent my FAFSA in early December.

Award letters are sent by e-mail and not found in our portal but in the SURFS portal (myumb).

Received my award package via email this evening. Estimated COA is $56k/year if living on campus, in state. Received $8k/year merit, rest is an optional federal loan package.

Received my award package via email this evening. Estimated COA is $56k/year if living on campus, in state. Received $8k/year merit, rest is an optional federal loan package.

COA is 65k if in-state.

8k grant is based on financial aid, not merit.

COA is 65k if in-state.

8k grant is based on financial aid, not merit.
Just chiming in to say that the grant you may all be getting is not merit - that is for filling out FAFSA in a timely manner. January gets $8k, February and March slightly less.

ALSO they will take that away from you by the time tuition bills are due if you are married and your partner makes any kind of money (there's a threshold but its pretty low). Plan accordingly when accepting loans.

For all the people wondering about merit/financial aid, etc. know this: Maryland doesn't give out a lot, so don't expect a lot. Also med school is not like undergrad and I think very very few (maybe just 1?) med schools give "need-based" financial aid. It's loans or merit scholarship.

Just chiming in to say that the grant you may all be getting is not merit - that is for filling out FAFSA in a timely manner. January gets $8k, February and March slightly less.

ALSO they will take that away from you by the time tuition bills are due if you are married and your partner makes any kind of money (there's a threshold but its pretty low). Plan accordingly when accepting loans.

For all the people wondering about merit/financial aid, etc. know this: Maryland doesn't give out a lot, so don't expect a lot. Also med school is not like undergrad and I think very very few (maybe just 1?) med schools give "need-based" financial aid. It's loans or merit scholarship.
Does this mean I could still get a merit scholarship in the mail if I got one of these grants in my financial aid package? :laugh: To the people who got $20-30k in the mail -- was it included on your financial aid package on SURFS?

Does this mean I could still get a merit scholarship in the mail if I got one of these grants in my financial aid package? :laugh: To the people who got $20-30k in the mail -- was it included on your financial aid package on SURFS?
Yes

Withdrew my acceptance. Best of luck to those accepted!

Anybody attend second look and want to share their experience? I'm considering UMB but couldn't make it. Can also PM

Has anyone heard about waitlist determination? I was told it would be created by the end of March and when I questioned them about it recently, they got salty.

Has anyone heard about waitlist determination? I was told it would be created by the end of March and when I questioned them about it recently, they got salty.
On the portal it says they will send an official update about the waitlist process in early May

same here please!
Anybody attend second look and want to share their experience? I'm considering UMB but couldn't make it. Can also PM

I'm sure everyone's experience varied. Here was mine; feel free to PM me as well:

1) Ice breaker, breakfast, lunch, welcome, mini med school series
We socialized with various ice breakers, had a really good breakfast and lunch, heard from some importance people speak, and then had a run through of Maryland's STEP, match stats as well as their curriculum. We went through a GI case with Dr. Quezada and also heard from Dr. Buchanan about her job as a trauma surgeon.
2) Student panel -- students seemed well adjusted and like they had lives outside of medical school. Emphasized the strong clinical education, enthusiastic faculty, and how well prepared UMB students are for residency and clerkships.
3) Clinical immersion sessions -- widely varies. I heard that trauma was the best session, and I loved this part. We worked with the surgeon who took the bullet out of Ronald Reagan. We were going through a live simulation of a trauma patient, watching his vitals fluctuate...before moving to the OR, where 4 students dressed up in scrubs. Really neat.
4) Activity fair -- students go to check out any club they were interested in. Also had a booth for UMB housing there. Talked to a lot of med students here; there is a consistent complaint among med students I've talked to about the administration and how slow they are to make changes and have a more progressive curriculum.
5) Neighborhood tours -- varies widely, but the weather was gorgeous and I enjoyed the water front and all the people out living their lives.
6) Happy hour -- great food. I love food. Open bar, socialized with more students and faculty.

It was a good day! Facilities and campus are beautiful. I have mixed feelings about UMB regardless, feel free to PM me.

Reactions: 3 users
Just withdrew my seat from UMSOM this week. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist! I was offered a $35k/year merit scholarship, so that's one more of those that will get to be re-assigned now, I suppose.

Lol WL update email came out today. Apparently I am in the top half of 266 applicants on the WL. I wonder if people are notified about being the something higher than the top 50%?

Lol WL update email came out today. Apparently I am in the top half of 266 applicants on the WL. I wonder if people are notified about being the something higher than the top 50%?
I got the top half response too, consistent with whats on their website. It also says the class is over-filled already so good luck to us lol

This is a silly question, because I was not able to make it to second look day. I know UMD does morning and afternoon lectures. How many hours per day are these lectures? Is there a lot of time for independent study?

did anyone receive any information? ive heard nothing since i got accepted
I haven't heard anything either. I actually called them and asked if there's anything I should be doing, but they said I'm good. Just send in your transcript if you haven't already :)

I haven't heard anything either. I actually called them and asked if there's anything I should be doing, but they said I'm good. Just send in your transcript if you haven't already :)
Right so, I JUST noticed I should be doing this (ahhhhhh), and I'm having a hell of a time finding instructions. None of the parchment services have UMD Medicine listed under Maryland Schools. Where specifically should I send it? And should it be electronic or paper?

Right so, I JUST noticed I should be doing this (ahhhhhh), and I'm having a hell of a time finding instructions. None of the parchment services have UMD Medicine listed under Maryland Schools. Where specifically should I send it? And should it be electronic or paper?
I sent it to this address, and I think they want a paper copy.

Health Sciences Facility I
685 W. Baltimore Street, Suite 190
Baltimore, MD 21201

If anyone needs housing in Baltimore, let me know! I have a room in a shared town home that I (unfortunately) will not be using next year. It's in Ridgley's Delight within a five minute walk of the medical school. PM me for pictures and more details.