2017-2018 University of Missouri - Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone here participate in Mizzou’s MedPrep II?

If so, I’m just wondering how useful it was and how time intensive the online portion of the program was.
I personally did not and would be happy to let someone else answer your question if they have, but here's my take:

I think the benefit depends on what your circumstances are. I have a friend who had been out of school for a few years and wanted to get back into the school mindset and refresh on a few topics before school started. In that situation, I can definitely see how it is useful. For me, I went straight through, so it was more valuable for me to have some time off before I started school. Ultimately, you're going to be learning so much more when you start that the amount you learn in MedPrep won't be a huge leg up on the curriculum. But if it would make you feel more comfortable to be doing something, then it's absolutely a good choice.

Members don't see this ad.

I personally did not and would be happy to let someone else answer your question if they have, but here's my take:

I think the benefit depends on what your circumstances are. I have a friend who had been out of school for a few years and wanted to get back into the school mindset and refresh on a few topics before school started. In that situation, I can definitely see how it is useful. For me, I went straight through, so it was more valuable for me to have some time off before I started school. Ultimately, you're going to be learning so much more when you start that the amount you learn in MedPrep won't be a huge leg up on the curriculum. But if it would make you feel more comfortable to be doing something, then it's absolutely a good choice.

I think you’re thinking of MedPrep III. Which is only for accepted applicants (which I am not, but hopefully one day I will be).

MedPrep II’s description is:

“MedPrep II teaches college juniors and above how to prepare personal statements and enhance interview skills. The workshop previews the medical school application process through AMCAS, explores the importance of recommendation letters and develops strong interviewing skills. Participants will receive feedback on personal essays and during mock interviews.

The MedPrep II workshops include a three-week online component and a two-day, onsite workshop.”

I think you’re thinking of MedPrep III. Which is only for accepted applicants (which I am not, but hopefully one day I will be).

MedPrep II’s description is:

“MedPrep II teaches college juniors and above how to prepare personal statements and enhance interview skills. The workshop previews the medical school application process through AMCAS, explores the importance of recommendation letters and develops strong interviewing skills. Participants will receive feedback on personal essays and during mock interviews.

The MedPrep II workshops include a three-week online component and a two-day, onsite workshop.”
Oh yeah, sorry! Even less of a clue on MedPrep II though

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone here participate in Mizzou’s MedPrep II?

If so, I’m just wondering how useful it was and how time intensive the online portion of the program was.

Based on what I've heard from the current students at Mizzou that did MedPrep II, it was really helpful. The PS once over and mock interview being the most helpful. It's also not a bad idea to get your name and face out there before you apply.

Check it ladies and gentlemen, its already April 11! The month is flying by!

Reactions: 1 users
:shrug: It happed last year. Whoever calls them is my hero!
I called. They said the list is confidential so they can't give me a number, but that it has been minimal. They also said they are expecting movement around the 16th and 30th

I called. They said the list is confidential so they can't give me a number, but that it has been minimal. They also said they are expecting movement around the 16th and 30th
Thanks so much! I wonder why its confidential this time. . .

Thanks so much! I wonder why its confidential this time. . .
Could be because of all the uncertainty surrounding class size/money. The next couple of weeks seems like a decent time for WL movement

Members don't see this ad :)
Financial information is supposed to come out this week. Hopefully it results in some waitlist movement

Financial information is supposed to come out this week. Hopefully it results in some waitlist movement
That's true! Anyone call and check whether they're willing to tell us more about WL movement? It was still mum last I checked.

Reactions: 1 user
Financial aid went out (to me at least).

Reactions: 2 users
My understanding is that if I received a scholarship (I did not) it would be shown along with loans.
Hmm I figured they would have been more generous. You bet it had to do with the budget cuts?

Hmm I figured they would have been more generous. You bet it had to do with the budget cuts?

Doubtful. I bet a lot of scholarships are from a separate pool of money. Likely donors and things of that nature. Cheri's email said that there's more to give out this summer, FWIW.

Withdrew from my acceptance earlier today. Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
My understanding is that if I received a scholarship (I did not) it would be shown along with loans.
I've heard that it depends on the school. Many will hand out loans first and then award scholarships in late may/june, maybe because by then they know their actual class since people will have dropped and most of the WL movement will have happened

I've heard that it depends on the school. Many will hand out loans first and then award scholarships in late may/june, maybe because by then they know their actual class since people will have dropped and most of the WL movement will have happened
They sent a follow up email noting that some has been awarded and that more should come later in the summer. They did however note that "It is very common for medical students to receive only loans in their award packages".

I just received a call that I got accepted off the waitlist!!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats!! Thanks for keeping us posted :) any idea how much movement has occurred?
Ooh I was so caught off guard I forgot to ask!! I even accidently hung up on him after he said congratulations loll
I’m sure there was some movement today. You should call and ask!!

Ooh I was so caught off guard I forgot to ask!! I even accidently hung up on him after he said congratulations loll
I’m sure there was some movement today. You should call and ask!!
I completely understand!

Has anyone called in the last couple of days to ask about waitlist movement? I'm really curious, but I don't want to be that person that calls too much lol

Has anyone called in the last couple of days to ask about waitlist movement? I'm really curious, but I don't want to be that person that calls too much lol
I called yesterday to ask about the class size dilemma. However, she didn't pick up so I chickened out. I too am afraid of calling too much.

2nd time applying, and finally accepted :soexcited::soexcited: Just got done shaking for about 45 minutes!! Now I get to be like the MDs that saved my life when I was 12! Best of Luck to the Others on the Waitlist :)

2nd time applying, and finally accepted :soexcited::soexcited: Just got done shaking for about 45 minutes!! Now I get to be like the MDs that saved my life when I was 12! Best of Luck to the Others on the Waitlist :)
Congrats!!!!! Do you know how many people have been taken off so far?

I thought to ask, but decided to just soak in the moment. Sorry about that! @Letsbemd is right its pretty awesome

I'm sure you will get in :) I also think the big surge will happen this next week!

I thought to ask, but decided to just soak in the moment. Sorry about that! @Letsbemd is right its pretty awesome

I'm sure you will get in :) I also think the big surge will happen this next week!
No it's no problem! Congratulations I'm sure it was very excited

Haha I am SO happy for you!!!!! Congrats!!!

As much as it pains me to do so, I just gave up my seat at MU SOM. Hope it goes to someone deserving on here!

Reactions: 4 users
For anyone who's curious, I called earlier this week and they said they increased the class size to 112 so a good number of people came off the list this week, but overall there's been little movement and they're still in the top third of the WL. They said they should see more movement after traffic day. Scholarships were released this week as well

Just withdrew my acceptance here on Friday, best of luck to everyone! If this really is your dream, it will all work out if you keep fighting.

Any plans to increase the class size even more?

Anybody taken off the waitlist recently?
Just taken off today!! So excited! I was running out the door when I got the call and did not have a chance to ask about movement of the list. I was top third though. Good luck everybody and hope to see you in the fall in Columbia!

Just taken off today!! So excited! I was running out the door when I got the call and did not have a chance to ask about movement of the list. I was top third though. Good luck everybody and hope to see you in the fall in Columbia!

I guess everyone’s so in shock from the call they all forget to ask about movement lol.

Congrats man! You deserved it!

I guess everyone’s so in shock from the call they all forget to ask about movement lol.

Congrats man! You deserved it!

Very true. But also when Kevin called he wasn't overly talkative or anything and at first I was worried I was being rejected somehow by the tone of his voice. Haha.

Very true. But also when Kevin called he wasn't overly talkative or anything and at first I was worried I was being rejected somehow by the tone of his voice. Haha.
Haha I felt the same way!! I thought he was calling to tell me my application was messed up or something. He must make this call so many times over the years that he lost excitement lol

I was in the second third and got a call of acceptance today. Kevin didn't mention anything specific about movement, but did say there was a lot of movement this weekend. Hope this helps someone!

I was in the second third and got a call of acceptance today. Kevin didn't mention anything specific about movement, but did say there was a lot of movement this weekend. Hope this helps someone!

Yay! Congrats! I’m surprised they called on a weekend but it’s nice to see that we’re into the second third