2017-2018 University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if next week is an acceptance week? Are they every other week? Thanks!
Fingers crossed! There were definitely acceptances last week, and they do seem to be going out every other week at the moment.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Fingers crossed! There were definitely acceptances last week, and they do seem to be going out every other week at the moment.
It seems that last year they didn't send any acceptances out the first week of march. Hopefully that's different this time around!

Members don't see this ad :)
does UNC share admissions decisions or acceptances only on mondays?

received an acceptance call yesterday!

Reactions: 5 users
does UNC share admissions decisions or acceptances only on mondays?
The admissions committee meets on Monday nights (typically every other) to make decisions. One of the applicant's interviewers will call the applicant if admitted; some interviewers call their acceptees that night, some call theirs the next day. Occasionally, but rarely, they'll call later in the week.

The last day of interviews is March 14. Do we think a lot of acceptances will go out two weeks from now? Hopefully before second look? (March 24)

Congratulations!! When did you interview? Also, can you let us know when you receive your portal/email confirmation?
Sure! Interviewed 6 weeks ago. Still have not received an official e-mail/snail mail/or portal update. I did receive the e-mail invitation for second look. I'll let ya know when portal/e-mail confirmation happens.

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone who interviewed the week of Feb 12 hear back (if so what day did you interview)?

Rejected today. Had an email about a status change and had to check the portal. Interviewed early Dec, OOS LizzyM 68. Good luck to everyone else

Rejected via email about a portal change this morning around 9:30a eastern. Interviewed 12/11 OOS reapplicant ORM LM ~71. Best of luck to everyone still in the running!

Does everyone who interviews here get an email telling them to make sure they do their FAFSA? I got an email yesterday about it.

Does everyone who interviews here get an email telling them to make sure they do their FAFSA? I got an email yesterday about it.

yes that is automated im guessing.

I think admissions tells you at the interview to do so.

What is the portal? Is that where you paid your supplemental application fee etc.? Thanks!
Yup. I received an email telling me to check my portal for a status update (link was included in email).

Yup. I received an email telling me to check my portal for a status update (link was included in email).

Is that link the same one that saying "Payment Received"?
My problem is that I have not received any e-mail since my interview in October, not the FAFSA one that some one mentioned earlier either. The web site still says "Payment Received".

Is that link the same one that saying "Payment Received"?
My problem is that I have not received any e-mail since my interview in October, not the FAFSA one that some one mentioned earlier either. The web site still says "Payment Received".
That is also what mine says. I also interviewed in October and have heard nothing since.

I know we just had an acceptance week, but I'm wondering if they'll send out decisions this week too. The AAMC recommendations state that schools should have released a number of acceptances equal to their class size by March 15th (this Thursday).

On another note- does anyone know if any February interviewees have been accepted?

Reactions: 2 users
I know we just had an acceptance week, but I'm wondering if they'll send out decisions this week too. The AAMC recommendations state that schools should have released a number of acceptances equal to their class size by March 15th (this Thursday).

On another note- does anyone know if any February interviewees have been accepted?

I'm wondering the same thing. Also, does anyone know if UNC has a place to check the amount of offers they have already made? I wasn't able to find a link on their website.

Typically if you email Joni she is knowledgeable about when the committee is meeting and responds fairly quickly and consistently. I would email to ask when the committee is meeting again, but I did recently lol

I would say they may not meet/send decisions this week because they’re on spring break but they’re interviewing I think today-Wednesday so hopefully they’re still working this week!

I would say they may not meet/send decisions this week because they’re on spring break but they’re interviewing I think today-Wednesday so hopefully they’re still working this week!

I believe this is their last week of interviews as well!

Typically if you email Joni she is knowledgeable about when the committee is meeting and responds fairly quickly and consistently. I would email to ask when the committee is meeting again, but I did recently lol
Joni: the real MVP

Reactions: 4 users
If I'm going to be out of the country in April, is there anything I should do? Do I have to email Joni and let her know, since that week is an acceptance week (lol in the off chance I get accepted then)?
From what I can tell from past threads, they generally send out all the solid acceptances before second look, aka next week should be the last big acceptance week. But in April they'll deal with the waitlist and could start pulling people from it, so it couldn't hurt to tell Joni you might be out of reach or something.

For people who have been accepted, Has anyone received a packet in the mail? Are we even going to get one at all?

For people who have been accepted, Has anyone received a packet in the mail? Are we even going to get one at all?
It's not a package, it's a small envelope that has the same acceptance letter you receive on your online portal.

It's not a package, it's a small envelope that has the same acceptance letter you receive on your online portal.
okay thank you! I'll have to check and see if I received anything like that. I wasn't sure if it was like the big folders of stuff you get for undergrad acceptances.

I bit the bullet and emailed Joni. She said the class is not full and that she cannot tell me when the next round of acceptances will go out.

I bit the bullet and emailed Joni. She said the class is not full and that she cannot tell me when the next round of acceptances will go out.
Thanks for doing that, that is great news! Hopefully it's sometime this week, seeing as that second look is this weekend

Did they come out with financial aid yet?

not yet, I talked to someone in the financial aid office today who said that they are aiming to have financial aid packages out in about 2 weeks. She also said that the scholarships are NOT controlled by the financial aid office (they are controlled by a committee in the admissions office) so there is no guarantee that you will know about scholarships in your financial aid package

Last edited:
If the UNC SOM 2022 Facebook page has 110 members is it fair to assume all those people are for sure going to UNC?

If the UNC SOM 2022 Facebook page has 110 members is it fair to assume all those people are for sure going to UNC?
Its hard to use the FB group to gauge amount of acceptances, especially now because they just let us MS2s join the group to help answer people's questions.

Its hard to use the FB group to gauge amount of acceptances, especially now because they just let us MS2s join the group to help answer people's questions.

So that's good news hopefully-- means there's even fewer than 110 accepted! (plus a handful who don't use Facebook)

So that's good news hopefully-- means there's even fewer than 110 accepted! (plus a handful who don't use Facebook)
They were supposed to have accepted 190 students by March 15, as that's the size of the incoming class. So unless they're ignoring AAMC rules, it's much more likely that a lot of people just haven't joined the facebook group yet or haven't been accepted to it.

Reactions: 2 users
They were supposed to have accepted 190 students by March 15, as that's the size of the incoming class. So unless they're ignoring AAMC rules, it's much more likely that a lot of people just haven't joined the facebook group yet or haven't been accepted to it.

I was told that was more of a recommendation than a hard set rule, but I’m not sure.

The March 15th deadline is a recommendation. The next 'real' deadline is April 30th.

I concur. I'm fairly sure that Joni said "The AAMC recommends...". And SDN doesn't seem to show any more acceptances sent out since the last time she stated that the class was not full (not a perfect source, but still). I think it's reasonable that they have plenty left to give out.

I concur. I'm fairly sure that Joni said "The AAMC recommends...". And SDN doesn't seem to show any more acceptances sent out since the last time she stated that the class was not full (not a perfect source, but still). I think it's reasonable that they have plenty left to give out.
Woops, guess I was misinformed but that's good! Still, hope is a dangerous thing..

The website said they'd let everyone know the first week of April, any thoughts on if this has held true in the past?