2017-2018 University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The website said they'd let everyone know the first week of April, any thoughts on if this has held true in the past?

I received my waitlist invitation on 4/7 last year.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
But how likely is it that there are 80+ that are accepted and don't use Facebook? Not likely.

I'm not saying their class is filled. Just that a ton of people do not use Facebook anymore .

So are we thinking at this point they aren’t sending any decisions this week?

So are we thinking at this point they aren’t sending any decisions this week?

I wouldn't count the option out until tomorrow. The week I was accepted only 1 person posted about getting a phone call earlier in the week, and then I got the email on Thursday morning (no call)! So it's possible people who got calls just didn't post about it and you will hear by email tomorrow!

Reactions: 1 user
It's now been over 6 months post-interview without a peep from UNC. I'm so tired of getting my hopes up every two weeks only to be let down over and over again.

Reactions: 3 users
I wouldn't count the option out until tomorrow. The week I was accepted only 1 person posted about getting a phone call earlier in the week, and then I got the email on Thursday morning (no call)! So it's possible people who got calls just didn't post about it and you will hear by email tomorrow!

Alright, thanks for the info! Congrats on your acceptance and thanks for sticking around on the forum to answer questions!

Alright, thanks for the info! Congrats on your acceptance and thanks for sticking around on the forum to answer questions!

Thanks! Good luck, I'm rooting for you!

So that's good news hopefully-- means there's even fewer than 110 accepted! (plus a handful who don't use Facebook)
I was accepted a while ago but only got notified of the FB group today (admissions sent me an email), so it's no wonder the numbers are low.

Was just rejected via portal change today, interviewed 1/16. Best of luck to everyone still in the running!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected via status change email an hour ago. Would've been nice if they hadn't taken 6 months to reject me so I could've actually made career plans instead of living in limbo for so long. But whatever. Good luck to those who remain. I'm probably going to take a year off from being a UNC sports fan

Can you guys post a link to the portal? I'm going to the status portal page that's under "Step 3" of the supplemental applications instructions email. Is this the right one? All that mine has said since I submit is "Payment Received" so I want to be sure I'm looking at the right thing...

Can you guys post a link to the portal? I'm going to the status portal page that's under "Step 3" of the supplemental applications instructions email. Is this the right one? All that mine has said since I submit is "Payment Received" so I want to be sure I'm looking at the right thing...

I believe that's the correct one. Look's like youre still in the running! Congrats!

Has anyone that has been rejected contacted the admissions office to set up a meeting to go over your application?

Has anyone that has been rejected contacted the admissions office to set up a meeting to go over your application?
Yep. You can call back to schedule an exit interview starting April 1st. However, exit interviews are only offered to students who have not been accepted anywhere and have not accepted any waitlist positions.

So no acceptances sent out this week? I was especially expectant/hopeful since the Second Look Day is tomorrow...

Reactions: 1 users
upload_2018-3-26_12-51-14.png

(^from the UNC SOM Admission Process Overview email)
So since this interviewing season was extended into mid-March, would anyone think that the delivery of all final decisions would also be pushed back to mid- to late-April? Or is there a "hard" deadline before then?
It also seems like the adcom was supposed to meet last week, but no acceptances (that we know of) were sent out... I wonder if they did meet and just decided to wait to send the rest of the notifications out all at once in April, instead of rolling like they have been.

... I'm in desperate need of other things to occupy my time otherwise spent waiting & worrying :p
Hope everyone in the same boat finds peace and confidence from realizing that things will be okay, no matter what happens here :)

Do we know if UNC has handed out all of their acceptances yet? I interviewed in December and am nervously waiting...

View attachment 231086
(^from the UNC SOM Admission Process Overview email)
So since this interviewing season was extended into mid-March, would anyone think that the delivery of all final decisions would also be pushed back to mid- to late-April? Or is there a "hard" deadline before then?
It also seems like the adcom was supposed to meet last week, but no acceptances (that we know of) were sent out... I wonder if they did meet and just decided to wait to send the rest of the notifications out all at once in April, instead of rolling like they have been.

... I'm in desperate need of other things to occupy my time otherwise spent waiting & worrying :p
Hope everyone in the same boat finds peace and confidence from realizing that things will be okay, no matter what happens here :)

I sincerely doubt it would be pushed back all the way into late April because Traffic Day is April 30th so that wouldn't give applicants tons of time to make a decision. Mid April is a possibility but I would think they wouldn't go into late April. Just my guess! Good luck!

I sincerely doubt it would be pushed back all the way into late April because Traffic Day is April 30th so that wouldn't give applicants tons of time to make a decision. Mid April is a possibility but I would think they wouldn't go into late April. Just my guess! Good luck!

Great insight - thanks! And to echo what someone else on here said before: thank you for sticking around to answer questions, and congratulations on your acceptance to Chapel Hill!!!

Great insight - thanks! And to echo what someone else on here said before: thank you for sticking around to answer questions, and congratulations on your acceptance to Chapel Hill!!!

Thank you so much!! Rooting for all you cool people so we can be classmates :biglove:

View attachment 231086
I wonder if they did meet and just decided to wait to send the rest of the notifications out all at once in April, instead of rolling like they have been

Just food for thought---I believe they held out a little long on their last significant batch of II's and sent them all out on Christmas day. So maybe it's reasonable that they could do the same with their last batch of acceptances (wait a little longer than expected and send them all out together).

Just food for thought---I believe they held out a little long on their last significant batch of II's and sent them all out on Christmas day. So maybe it's reasonable that they could do the same with their last batch of acceptances (wait a little longer than expected and send them all out together).
Ohh, I didn't realize that that was their last significant batch of IIs sent out that Day. That's good to know. If this happens to be the case with the rest of the acceptances, then, it would be pretty awesome of them to wait to send out that last batch on another joyous holiday as Easter (this coming Sunday!) :p

Ohh, I didn't realize that that was their last significant batch of IIs sent out that Day. That's good to know. If this happens to be the case with the rest of the acceptances, then, it would be pretty awesome of them to wait to send out that last batch on another joyous holiday as Easter (this coming Sunday!) :p

Second Look was this weekend so maybe they will send them out this week or next week now that they're not dealing with that and perhaps after second look people have begun withdrawing acceptances as well so hopefully you guys hear something soon!

Also if anyone who didn't get to attend second look wants to message me and chat, I'd be happy to pass along any info you're interested in that they might have told us!

So are we thinking that at this point they will only be sending out waitlist or rejection?

So are we thinking that at this point they will only be sending out waitlist or rejection?

Definitely not. They don't appear to have sent out any acceptances since last making the claim that they haven't filled the class yet.

Reactions: 2 users
Lurker here, also an applicant waiting to hear back from UNC. Thought I'd give some info I just learned from an admissions committee member. Please take this with a grain of salt:

So according to one of the physicians on the admissions committee that I work with, the last committee meeting was March 19th. He said that at this point there would only be waitlist notifications going out - not a round of admissions. He said WL notifications should go out early next week. I also asked if the waiting list was ranked, and he said yes, there is some sort of ranking system.

Just thought I'd put it out there!

Lurker here, also an applicant waiting to hear back from UNC. Thought I'd give some info I just learned from an admissions committee member. Please take this with a grain of salt:

So according to one of the physicians on the admissions committee that I work with, the last committee meeting was March 19th. He said that at this point there would only be waitlist notifications going out - not a round of admissions. He said WL notifications should go out early next week. I also asked if the waiting list was ranked, and he said yes, there is some sort of ranking system.

Just thought I'd put it out there!
Ahh, thank you so much for letting us know!!!
The "grain of salt" comment got me way overthinking, though - is there any part of the adcom member's intel that we should/can be skeptical about?

Ahh, thank you so much for letting us know!!!
The "grain of salt" comment got me way overthinking, though - is there any part of the adcom member's intel that we should/can be skeptical about?

No not really, but the comment earlier about how someone was told the class was not filled yet and no admissions seem to have been made since seems to hold some water. Guess we're still stuck holding our breath :(

Considering the strong possibility that some of us will be on the waitlist, does anyone know anything about it? Are IS and OOS applicants placed in separate lists? About how many people from the waitlist end up being accepted? Are you informed when you move up the list? Are there certain time periods when the list moves fast or slow?

So.... do we think this week is it?

If anyone hears back, whether waitlist/accepted/rejected, please post here!

So regarding the question of if they have handed out all of their acceptances yet, I do not think they have. I say this because I have a friend who was accepted and went to Second Look day and she made the comment that they have sent out most, but not all of their acceptances. Not sure where or how they found out this information, but it could be true. I know hope can be dangerous, but there could still be some spots available!

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Just spoke with the admissions office. They said all decisions will be sent out next week - so I do not think anything is going out this week. Thought I'd let you all know!

Reactions: 2 users
Just spoke with the admissions office. They said all decisions will be sent out next week - so I do not think anything is going out this week. Thought I'd let you all know!

Thanks for finding that out! Puts me at ease for the week haha

Yes - thank you for sharing that update, bones007!!! (is that a Star Trek reference, btw?)

I've been wondering if they're already taking people off of that waitlist as the rest of us await our final decisions - and if so, how many...
The April 30th-deadline for the AAMC Traffic Rules is fast approaching, and some acceptees are probably declining UNC's offer to them as we continue to wait. If that's the case, perhaps some of those initially waitlisted will actually receive acceptance notifications next week - which is a nice thought!

I've been wondering if they're already taking people off of that waitlist as the rest of us await our final decisions - and if so, how many...
The April 30th-deadline for the AAMC Traffic Rules is fast approaching, and some acceptees are probably declining UNC's offer to them as we continue to wait. If that's the case, perhaps some of those initially waitlisted will actually receive acceptance notifications next week - which is a nice thought!

I don't think anybody has been waitlisted yet. Hence the reason that many interviewees from many months ago still haven't heard anything.

Just because the waitlisted haven't yet been notified of their status doesn't mean that the WL hasn't already been determined - especially since the adcom's last meeting purportedly took place on 19MAR2018. My thinking was just that they finalized their WL (and rankings) during that last meeting, and since then they've begun to take people off of that list as a result of some acceptees declining their UNC offers to attend other schools. So, when we're finally notified next week, some of those initially WL-ed would be receiving official acceptance letters instead.
And that leads to the larger point that maybe, just maybe, they'll send out a greater number of acceptances than one might've otherwise conjectured.

Just hopeful thinking; that's all!

Last edited:
Yes - thank you for sharing that update, bones007!!! (is that a Star Trek reference, btw?)

No haha its not a Start Trek reference, just something random. Also - I agree with your reasoning. Think it's a likely possibility.

No haha its not a Start Trek reference, just something random. Also - I agree with your reasoning. Think it's a likely possibility.
Well it'd be a fitting name for you (fingers crossed!), as it just so happens that Leonard "Bones" McCoy was a chief medical officer of the USS Enterprise :p

Anyone know if the deadline has already passed for the Lucius Blanchard Family scholarships (found under specialty scholarships)? I am assuming so but figured I would ask before calling the office on Monday.

Does anyone know if/when we will hear from UNC this week???

Last edited:
Does anyone know if/when we will hear from UNC this week???

Wondering the same thing. When I called last week they said it would be sometime this week. If somebody gives them a call (9199628331) maybe they'll let us know?

It seems from previous posts that we will know this week. If they keep the same pattern we should find out on Thursday, but that is just a wild guess. Maybe people will get calls tonight:0 but that's just wishful thinking :/