2017-2018 University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

First!

cant wait for this.

Secondaries from last year.

Applicants for the MD and MD/PhD Program Respond to prompts 1-3 in no more than 1-2 paragraphs. (1000 character limit)

Prompt 1: We have all tried something and failed, whether it was something big or something small. Describe a situation or an experience you had when you realized that you were not up to the task, and tell us what life-lessons you learned from this experience.

Prompt 2: Much of medical school education is based on team-learning. What important activity have you accomplished that required a team approach, what was your role in the outcome, and what did you learn from it?

Prompt 3: Give an example of how you made a difference in someone's life-whether it is a patient, friend, classmate, or a family member-and explain what this experience taught you about yourself.

when are secondaries usually first sent out?

Members don't see this ad :)
what are the prospects of getting in to UNC with median or above median stats if you are in state? I notice they interview almost half of their in state applicants which is pretty high - are you almost guaranteed a chance with median+ GPA/MCAT? anybody in state with a 3.7/512 or higher NOT get in?

what are the prospects of getting in to UNC with median or above median stats if you are in state? I notice they interview almost half of their in state applicants which is pretty high - are you almost guaranteed a chance with median+ GPA/MCAT? anybody in state with a 3.7/512 or higher NOT get in?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
UNC has a beautifully written "ideal candidate" bio and appears to emphasize the holistic review process.... does this apply to OOS as well? It seems like they accept ~20 OOS applicants every year- am I kidding myself if I apply without killer MCAT/GPA, but with good extra curricular activities? Thanks in advance to anyone who has some insight!

I'm OOS and sitting at a 3.81 and 514. My fiance attends UNC for a non-MD program. Is it worth a shot applying here? This is something I would try to being up in a secondary.
if you look at their website, they recommend only applying OOS with a 515 or higher, but I guess it couldn't hurt if you have the money

I'm OOS and sitting at a 3.81 and 514. My fiance attends UNC for a non-MD program. Is it worth a shot applying here? This is something I would try to being up in a secondary.
You should. You sound like you want to so you should even more.

Last edited:
if you look at their website, they recommend only applying OOS with a 515 or higher, but I guess it couldn't hurt if you have the money

Yeah, I wasn't sure if it was a hard cut-off or a soft one. Their website states its a 514, so I just make it.

Have the secondaries for UNC Chapel Hill this year come out yet? Looking forward to applying to this school ;)

Secondary received! So excited for this one but they will probably reject me

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received today and it says to submit within 7 days of receiving. However when I opened the app, it says the application was started yesterday. What should I go by?? Obviously ASAP but realistically I got other secondaries to write this week.

Although I am not a legal resident of NC I have some ties. Is there a way we can let UNC know about this

What is a "Degree description" under academics? Also I tried to figure this out on last year's thread but I'm still confused, do we need to enter our high school if we got AP credits? Thanks!

-nevermind this post-

Last edited:
Oh and secondary prompts are the same as last year

@Goro @gyngyn @gonnif

If I was suspended in 9th grade in high school would I have to answer yes to this? I believe they said they got rid of the record last time I asked my high school. I would rather answer no lol, can I assume they mean after high school and be safe

"Have you ever been dismissed, suspended, expelled, placed on probation, or otherwise subject to any
disciplinary sanction by any school, college, or university?"

@Goro @gyngyn @gonnif

If I was suspended in 9th grade in high school would I have to answer yes to this? I believe they said they got rid of the record last time I asked my high school. I would rather answer no lol, can I assume they mean after high school and be safe

"Have you ever been dismissed, suspended, expelled, placed on probation, or otherwise subject to any
disciplinary sanction by any school, college, or university?"
The school they're asking about is NOT high school!

Good luck everyone! I remember being in your shoes last year. In a year's time, this arduous process will hopefully be over with for you. Hopefully, I'll see some of you in tarheel blue in 2018. If you have any questions about the process at UNC, feel free to shoot them my way.

My MCAT scores were 505(1st) and 512(2nd). I had a 3.92 unweighted GPA at the largest public research university in NC and approximately 250 hours of shadowing experience. I grew up in rural NC.

Reactions: 3 users
I might be dumb, but I'm not quite sure what to put for the "degree description" in the academics section of the secondary.

Do we have to include our high school if we received AP credit there?

If I have a 3.44 cGPA, 3.19 sGPA, 519 MCAT do you think I'll get screened out if I'm in state? Their website says minimum sGPA and cGPA of >=3.2. I'm going to apply anyway, but am considering pre writing the secondaries, but if anyone has experience with this I'd love some advice

Does anyone know how strict they are about the OOS MCAT/GPA criteria? Do they screen primaries before they send secondaries? I received a secondary (OOS - TX resident) yet my MCAT is slightly below the OOS number listed on their site.

Does anyone know how strict they are about the OOS MCAT/GPA criteria? Do they screen primaries before they send secondaries? I received a secondary (OOS - TX resident) yet my MCAT is slightly below the OOS number listed on their site.
Curious about this as well. Do they prescreen? Not sure if it is worth it to submit a secondary.

If I have a 3.44 cGPA, 3.19 sGPA, 519 MCAT do you think I'll get screened out if I'm in state? Their website says minimum sGPA and cGPA of >=3.2. I'm going to apply anyway, but am considering pre writing the secondaries, but if anyone has experience with this I'd love some advice
they'll want the 519 MCAT from an in stater lol

did you go to a recognized school for ugrad? UNC?

Degree description= undergraduate. I called and she said it's all just for checks and balances, so don't worry about it being exactly right with the way all the institutions are listed. she also told me not to make it so crazy so that felt good... hope this helps anyone who was wondering!

Reactions: 1 users
Degree description= undergraduate. I called and she said it's all just for checks and balances, so don't worry about it being exactly right with the way all the institutions are listed. she also told me not to make it so crazy so that felt good... hope this helps anyone who was wondering!

Thanks!

How is this school for OOS? I skirted by the mcat requirement and got a secondary but thinking to trim my list a little bit and I'm thinking this might be low yield for me.

Last edited:
OOSer. Still haven't received UNC supplemental. Relatively high GPA (~4.0) at top 10 uni. But mid-range MCAT (514-518), lowest section 126 Chem/Phys. Is it likely I was screened out, or does UNC send in waves?

OOSer. Still haven't received UNC supplemental. Relatively high GPA (~4.0) at top 10 uni. But mid-range MCAT (514-518), lowest section 126 Chem/Phys. Is it likely I was screened out, or does UNC send in waves?

I'm OOS stats wayyyyy lower than yours and got a secondary. Probably sent out in batches

So on the website it says that OOS applicants typically offered an interview have an MCAT of 514+. Does anyone know if this is a hard cut off? I have a 513 and am deciding whether to apply to this school. Thanks for any help!

So on the website it says that OOS applicants typically offered an interview have an MCAT of 514+. Does anyone know if this is a hard cut off? I have a 513 and am deciding whether to apply to this school. Thanks for any help!
I'd say that even if it's not a hard cutoff your chances are low with a 513 for an interview; their median is a 512 and they highly favor in state. I'm thinking OOS even get a flying chance if they have a 516+

I'd say that even if it's not a hard cutoff your chances are low with a 513 for an interview; their median is a 512 and they highly favor in state. I'm thinking OOS even get a flying chance if they have a 516+

ok thanks! I guess I'll be better off saving my money here. Best of luck to everyone :)

completed secondary last week, but I did their MED program so hopefully that will hold some weight ;)

Wondering if anyone has some suggestions on the failure question. Is it better to talk about something personal or professional? In a team or individual setting (ex. you failed as a team to achieve X goal or you failed individually to achieve something).

Have any OOS first-time applicants still not received the secondary?

Reactions: 1 users
after paying did you receive any kind of "secondary submitted" confirmation email? all i got was the payment receipt

after paying did you receive any kind of "secondary submitted" confirmation email? all i got was the payment receipt

Yes, I got a secondary complete email. It came the next day for me.

For the academics seciton, do you need to list your high school if you didn't take any classes for college credit (barring AP) while there?

Are any IS applicants still waiting for their secondary?

Missed their 7 day deadline because the email went to my spam folder (?!!). OOS, MCAT 518, should I bother submitting a secondary?

Missed their 7 day deadline because the email went to my spam folder (?!!). OOS, MCAT 518, should I bother submitting a secondary?

Call and tell them your situation! That "7 day deadline" probably isn't completely firm... and you have strong stats it seems. Depends if you want to spend the secondary app fee or not I think.