2017-2018 University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was so anxious for this workweek to start that the weekend actually felt too long (I know, wut?)
I'm assuming that this last batch of notifications is a lot larger than those that were previously sent out after the biweekly adcom meetings, so I wonder how they usually decide to handle that extra volume in the end. Hopefully they'll send them out in smaller batches throughout the week; or, they may have already planned to send them out all at once on a certain day.
I would call the office on everyone's behalf, but it's only a matter of days until we find out, anyway... so I'll spare Joni the interruption :p

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
No word yet, but if I hear anything either way, I will post for sure. I hope you guys all get phone calls with good news soon!

Reactions: 1 user
I called Joni yesterday. I was pretty passive but she said "WEEKS" ....

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks so much for calling! It's hard for me to fathom what could be taking so long given they havent had a committee meeting since mid-March (according to info from another poster). But what do I know, I'm just a lowly applicant. But at least I have you guys :) Good luck to you all!

Anyone know if the deadline has already passed for the Lucius Blanchard Family scholarships (found under specialty scholarships)? I am assuming so but figured I would ask before calling the office on Monday.
I received a called yesterday afternoon about a merit scholarship. She didn't mention the name of it but it was worth a lot of money.. so maybe its the Blanchard idk.

I received a called yesterday afternoon about a merit scholarship. She didn't mention the name of it but it was worth a lot of money.. so maybe its the Blanchard idk.

Are you IS?

Congrats!!

I want to call Joni and see if she was serious. Weeks....How is this possible, when, like someone else pointed out, the last committee meeting has already occurred. I suppose maybe they are slowly taking people off of the waitlist as people decline their acceptances?

I want to call Joni and see if she was serious. Weeks....How is this possible, when, like someone else pointed out, the last committee meeting has already occurred. I suppose maybe they are slowly taking people off of the waitlist as people decline their acceptances?
They also told us that everyone would hear by early April...

They also told us that everyone would hear by early April...
Yeah, I am thinking that maybe they don't even know. For now it just looks like we all have to wait a little longer.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have to consider what the clerical process might be like for those who are sending out these notifications. If it's a tedious process, and if there's been movement on the WL since that last adcom meeting, then I could see why it'd be easier/convenient for them to wait to see how much more movement occurs during April (especially before that April 30th recommended deadline for successful applicants) before they finally notify everyone else left waiting.
If they hadn't pushed back their delivery of final decisions from early April, then I'd imagine that they would be dealing with a lot more "back-and-forth" communication with the students who initially are WL but then get off the list. As in, why rush to inevitably send out two notifications to tens of lucky WL-turned-accepted applicants, as opposed to waiting a bit longer in order to reduce their workload? (That's what the selfish part of me would do :p )

Or they just like to procrastinate. Or they're dealing with a lot of other stuff we don't know much about (i.e. scholarship deadlines/app review).

upload_2018-4-10_11-51-34.png

I summarized the "important" posts/activity from early March to now in the timeline above so it'll be easier for us to discuss some things as we wait patiently...

And here's what I really want to know: is there a real chance that, at this point, no more rejections will be sent out?
To answer that question, we should consider:
(1) Rejections went out during the week of that last adcom meeting in March; and just at a quick glance, it appears that there were more posts during that week compared to other weeks (but I didn't tally them up so...)
(2) How cruel would they be to have any more rejected people still waiting to hear back, especially if it's already been decided back in late-March? Is there a probable reason why they would send some, but not all, rejections during that last round?
(3) Which pieces of information in the timeline above seem to be most reliable? I'd like to think that the email from Joni is, which would give us a ton of hope - that, plus the report that the last meeting took place on 19MAR2018. Least hopeful would be the adcom member's comments about the WL.
(4) No posts about acceptances since 05MAR2018. I wonder if we can assume that acceptances weren't sent out at all since then.

In light of the above, what do you guys think of the idea that the only people left waiting are those who are accepted/waitlisted? See, I can deal with this wait (it's a matter of days/weeks, now...) but I just wanted to see if this deliriously hopeful conjecture might actually be possible...

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-10_11-41-14.png
    upload_2018-4-10_11-41-14.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 74
Reactions: 2 users
View attachment 231764
I summarized the "important" posts/activity from early March to now in the timeline above so it'll be easier for us to discuss some things as we wait patiently...

And here's what I really want to know: is there a real chance that, at this point, no more rejections will be sent out?
To answer that question, we should consider:
(1) Rejections went out during the week of that last adcom meeting in March; and just at a quick glance, it appears that there were more posts during that week compared to other weeks (but I didn't tally them up so...)
(2) How cruel would they be to have any more rejected people still waiting to hear back, especially if it's already been decided back in late-March? Is there a probable reason why they would send some, but not all, rejections during that last round?
(3) Which pieces of information in the timeline above seem to be most reliable? I'd like to think that the email from Joni is, which would give us a ton of hope - that, plus the report that the last meeting took place on 19MAR2018. Least hopeful would be the adcom member's comments about the WL.
(4) No posts about acceptances since 05MAR2018. I wonder if we can assume that acceptances weren't sent out at all since then.

In light of the above, what do you guys think of the idea that the only people left waiting are those who are accepted/waitlisted? See, I can deal with this wait (it's a matter of days/weeks, now...) but I just wanted to see if this deliriously hopeful conjecture might actually be possible...

Wow, this is so helpful, thank you for taking the time to do this! I have been thinking the same exact thing- that the only decisions left are waitlists and acceptances. Like you said, if they know someone is rejected, why would they wait this long to let them know? Not sure if this is wishful thinking, but I think it is a logical conclusion.

Wow, this is so helpful, thank you for taking the time to do this! I have been thinking the same exact thing- that the only decisions left are waitlists and acceptances. Like you said, if they know someone is rejected, why would they wait this long to let them know? Not sure if this is wishful thinking, but I think it is a logical conclusion.
Sigh, it very well could be false hope (and I'm so sorry if it is!). One plausible reason for them not sending out all of the rejections by this point would be the sheer volume for the administrative personnel to get through (could it have been in the hundreds?). Maybe they sent a fraction of them out during the week of 19MAR2018, had other things to deal with, and just decided that the rest would all be sent out at once later on with the A/WL. *shrug* who knows; anything could be

I'm fairly certain there is a separate application for it since it says on the website to call for more information about applying. So, I'm not sure if you would have received it without applying. Congratulations either way!

Sigh, it very well could be false hope (and I'm so sorry if it is!). One plausible reason for them not sending out all of the rejections by this point would be the sheer volume for the administrative personnel to get through (could it have been in the hundreds?). Maybe they sent a fraction of them out during the week of 19MAR2018, had other things to deal with, and just decided that the rest would all be sent out at once later on with the A/WL. *shrug* who knows; anything could be

It is possible that they will still send out rejections, especially if they had so many applicants to go through. It is still odd though, that if they have had their last meeting (that we know of) that they would wait to send out rejections, as I am sure this is a relatively simple process compared to waitlist/acceptance. Like you said, who knows, and lets just keep holding onto the hope we have left.

Just received email informing of waitlist. Hope you all hear good news soon!

waitlisted

Anyone having trouble accessing the link to accept/deny the wait-list spot?

Last edited:
Waitlist email. Good luck to everyone waiting, and hopefully some of us can get off the waitlist!

When you guys click on the included link in the email, does it come up with an error message saying that registration for this event is inactive?

Yeah, not working for me either. Says "registration for this event is inactive."
Should we call Joni? Or maybe just wait a little bit. Maybe they just sent the emails without activating the portal yet?

Should we call Joni? Or maybe just wait a little bit. Maybe they just sent the emails without activating the portal yet?
I just emailed Ms. Reid. I will let you know what she says.

I noticed MSAR does not have any data about the wait list from previous years. Anyone have any idea about how many were on the wait list and how many were accepted last year?

I haven't gotten an email indicating anything.... what do we think that means?

No e-mail of waiting list. Does it mean being rejected?

I haven't gotten an email indicating anything.... what do we think that means?
From last year's thread:
-the first round of WL notifications (n=9) went out on Friday, 07APR2017 ~20:00;
-one post about WL on the following Monday, 10APR2017 at 20:00;
-round of rejections (n=7) and WL (n=2) on Thursday, 13APR2017 ~noon

Idk what to make of all that, but I did note that no acceptances went out during this period (which seems to be similar to the "period" that we're in now); and that the first report of someone going from WL to A occurred on 11MAY2017.

Anyway. At least we're seeing some movement on their end, finally!

Last edited:
the link for the wait list is working. Now if you could all decline the offer to be placed on the wait list it would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: 4 users
No e-mail of waiting list. Does it mean being rejected?
I think there is still a chance that a few acceptances will be granted. In addition, there may be more waitlists going out, as they may do them in batches like someone previously mentioned.

From last year's thread:
-the first round of WL notifications (n=9) went out on Friday, 07APR2017 ~20:00;
-one post about WL on the following Monday, 10APR2017 at 20:00;
-round of rejections (n=7) and WL (n=2) on Thursday, 13APR2017 ~noon

Idk what to make of all that, but I did note that no acceptances went out during this period (which seems to be similar to the "period" that we're in now); and that the first report of someone going from WL to A occurred on 11MAY2017.

Anyway. At least we're seeing some movement on their end, finally!
Great sleuthing today ofthisiamconvinced! Thanks!

To all those waitlisted, does the portal specify where you are on the waitlist?

Thanks. Like that idea. But I do not think the chance is good.
I feel the same way... my intuition isn't feeling very optimistic at all right now.
Especially since I read somewhere that schools (almost always) give more offers than the class size, with the expectation that a certain percentage will decline. What if UNC already sent out all of their offers, but <190 committed to UNC prior to 19MAR2018? Hence, Joni's choice of words in her email stating that the "class is not full." We've been using that email to assume that <190 offers were sent out, with more acceptances to come; but if she was actually referring to the number who actually accepted UNC's offer, then we were wrong - and at this point, only WL and R remain.

To all those waitlisted, does the portal specify where you are on the waitlist?
The email did not say much information about the waitlist. It did not mention if it was ranked, or how many people were on it. It also did not give much indication about if/when we would hear any additional information from this point. It is basically still a waiting game.

I just received a call with the same wonderful news. No mention of the name of the scholarship. I'm also OOS.

Rejected, IS. Best of luck, everyone else!

I am so sorry to hear this, you have been so helpful on this thread! I am really hoping you hear good news elsewhere. Good luck to everyone still waiting.

Reactions: 3 users
Rejected, IS. Best of luck, everyone else!

Sorry to hear that. Wish you good luck with other SOMs.
Is it by e-mail or portal?
Still nothing here. Wondering what is going on.
Anyone else has not heard anything since interview?

Reactions: 3 users
I too am still waiting. Interviewed early January

I still have not heard anything! What does this mean? Every time my phone buzzes I have a heart attack :(